turbo for mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm in college and they teach us c lang ,for windows we have turbo c, borland and many other but what do we have for mac .and do we have to create directory after installing it..

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhinavk48 View Post

but what do we have for mac .and do we have to create directory after installing it..

On the Mac, you would use the XCode IDE ( http://developer.apple.com/technolog...ols/xcode.html ), it includes the GCC C compiler and a whole bunch of other tools. Once you have GCC installed, you can use any UNIX/Linux command-line tutorials about C compilation or use the IDE for everything.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Once you have GCC installed, you can use any UNIX/Linux command-line tutorials about C compilation or use the IDE for everything

i didn't get your words and is the xcode free.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Once you have GCC installed, you can use any UNIX/Linux command-line tutorials about C compilation or use the IDE for everything

i didn't get your words and is the xcode free.

Yeah, XCode is free. It's a massive download. I can't recall the exact size of the last one but it's over 3GB. You get a whole bunch of apps as well as a load of terminal commands/programs, one of which is the GNU C/C++ compiler (gcc).

You can compile programs from the terminal or you can use XCode with the interface, which uses the same compiler but it's easier to use.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You get a whole bunch of apps as well as a load of terminal commands/programs, one of which is the GNU C/C++ compiler (gcc).

You can compile programs from the terminal or you can use XCode with the interface, which uses the same compiler but it's easier to use.

it is basically whole set of developer tool will it be ok for simple use of gcc as i think it might be kinda complex thing,i just need to execute simple programs,not much of creating new app
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

it is basically whole set of developer tool will it be ok for simple use of gcc as i think it might be kinda complex thing,i just need to execute simple programs,not much of creating new app

Yeah it's ok for basic apps too. You should be able to install GCC yourself but it's easier just to install XCode and then you can use as few tools as you like.