Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    caskey09caskey09 Posts: 14member
    Quote:

where is iBooks app for iPhone ???

Yeah I have no idea? It still downloads as an iPad app, and doesn't show up in the 'App' section when trying to sync an iPhone - even with OS4. Be nice to know when it finally gets updated with the 'iBooks for iPhone' version.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jane55 View Post

eher, I heard that iOS can run on iPad and iPHone 4.

and this articles reveal this:

puzzled, \

iOS already runs on all iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches. However, come June 21st only the latter two will get an update to iOS v4.0. The iPad will have to wait until Fall.

iOS on the iPad is dramatically different in the UI. Hopefully they get them all on the same tie table but I doubt it since they are so different.

PS: The next AppleTV should also be iOS based.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also .... still 32 bit

Other than a feature checkbox, what do you think 64bit is going to gain you for iTunes?
  • Reply 44 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Other than a feature checkbox, what do you think 64bit is going to gain you for iTunes?

Complete Cocoa rewrite for starters.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It does need to be rewritten. That is the only way it's going to be Cocoa and 64-bit. I hear there is also a lot of legacy code in there dating back to SoundJam.

I agree that iTunes needs love on Windows, but that has no baring on Apple's plans to eliminate Carbon and push Cocoa into the future.

BTW, with my SSD iTunes loads in 1 second. I love it!

Two realities:

Create two Cocoa versions and include the 'yellowbox' runtime of today on Windows leaving one to have:

32 bit Cocoa for legacy Win [XP/Vista/Win7] and Apple Power PC/Intel non-64 bit OS X 10.5/10.6

64 bit Cocoa for OS X 10.6 and newer

They could build 64 bit Windows 7 but I doubt they care about it, until the install base demands it.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    stlguystlguy Posts: 1member
    I just downloaded the new Itunes 9.2 and now I have access to a shared library of a Billy Peters. I have never know anyone by this name and my previous version of itunes 9.01 (I believe) did not have this individual as a shared library.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    redshirtredshirt Posts: 11member
    Anyone having a problem with slower backups with 9.2? My iPhone 3g is taking hours to get through the backup process when syncing now.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    iBooks for the iPhone and touch will not show up for download since you need iOS 4 in order for iBooks to run.

When iOS4 is released, iBooks will be released at the same time.

iOS4 is just around the corner!
  • Reply 49 of 65
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlguy View Post

I just downloaded the new Itunes 9.2 and now I have access to a shared library of a Billy Peters. I have never know anyone by this name and my previous version of itunes 9.01 (I believe) did not have this individual as a shared library.

That's very curious! But what's his musical taste like??

Also does anyone know how you can do long distance sort of home sharing between family members across the net? Would be great to do without having to install another application.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by viennese View Post

where is iBooks app for iPhone ???

Not 'till Monday with iOS4. \
  • Reply 51 of 65
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Also does anyone know how you can do long distance sort of home sharing between family members across the net? Would be great to do without having to install another application.

Soundtrckr, the FREE social music player
  • Reply 52 of 65
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redshirt View Post

Anyone having a problem with slower backups with 9.2? My iPhone 3g is taking hours to get through the backup process when syncing now.

No problems here. All smooth. iPhoneOS... er, I mean, iOS 3.1.3 and iTunes 9.2(61) on 10.6.4. Damn this is geeky, once you start focusing so much on the "third decimal" of things.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlguy View Post

OMG someone is hack1ing your Internetz
  • Reply 54 of 65
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

I agree that iTunes needs love on Windows, but that has no baring on Apple's plans to eliminate Carbon and push Cocoa into the future.

I believe the Windows version is Carbon with an "emulation" layer to make it run in Windows. So, I think it has a huge baring on Apple's plans with iTunes.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Complete Cocoa rewrite for starters.

I think you missed his point. Like 64-bit, an app being in Carbon or Cocoa is invisible to the user. So the question remains, what do you think 64-bit, or even a Cocoa rewrite is going to get you with respect to material use of the software?
  • Reply 56 of 65
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    And now I have iOS on my 3GS!! woot!
  • Reply 57 of 65
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I use Dropbox to share files between my home computer and work computer. It's free up to (I think) 2 GB. I have not had any problems with it.

There's also SugarSync, which I used for a while but stopped using because of technical problems with the application.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    hewsthathewsthat Posts: 33member
    I've noticed some new features when using itunes.

?There's a crossfading transition on album art in the viewer when clicking on different albums.

?If you click on a song in a different album than the song currently playing the album art viewer automatically switches to selected album so you can see that album art. previously you had to click on the top bar to choose between "Now Playing" and "Currently Selected". Once the song switches it automatically goes back to "now playing"

?For some reason when i was syncing my iPhone, about 400 songs were re-sunk to it suggesting that the update changed them in some way. don't know how though.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Why does iTunes full screen Cover Flow still NOT have the flip feature, a la iPod, iPad & iPhone. It's such an obvious and worthwhile functionality. At the moment I don't bother with full screen cover flow but this addition would make it worthwhile!
  • Reply 60 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iTunes 9.2 issue:

No longer able to hear any of my songs or videos through iTunes. I checked to make sure it wasn't my computer that was having the issue by pressing Command-R when I selected one of the songs in a playlist (locates the file through the Finder), then pressed the spacebar to listen to the song file... it still worked. When trying to play through iTunes, that's the problem. Something in the update messed it up bad. I also went directly to Apple's downloads, re-downloaded the 9.2 update and re-installed. Made no difference. I'm a little baffled by this one. Any suggestions? All of my audio files are located on an external drive... might that be the issue? Could be that they need to be relocated to my HD to play now (good grief, I hope not)?