Flagship Apple Shanghai megastore now under red curtains

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Ha! That video is great.

Nice camera work. He should have slid-in one of those spy-mirrors-on-a-wand things or a dental mirror.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    darn it, it is not the first one there... greedy capitalists as they don't care anything but money...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

Apple's first store in an authoritarian regime. Congratulations!

Perhaps they will open a flagship store in Pyongyang or Rangoon next.

• Reply 23 of 39
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Ninjas also don't exist "D-Bag".. so its actualy not that big a deal.

Actually, they DID exist at one point but it is current undetermined if they still do exist. People practice the ancient art of Ninjutsu and bastardize it into a popular recreational activity. Yes, they did exist!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

You are under the impression that Apple can't hire Japanese Ninjas for its American retail store? Or that Chinese can't play the role of a ninja character? No sense of humor at all? What a mean spirited angry person little you are.

I have a sence of humor, just not for the ignorant...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Nobody knows the nationality of apple ninjas. Or their identities.

This is my favorite responce...thank you for being civil!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

Apple's first store in an authoritarian regime. Congratulations!

Perhaps they will open a flagship store in Pyongyang or Rangoon next.

Where have you been? Apple has two stores in Beijing already.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Where have you been? Apple has two stores in Beijing already.

There is only one in Beijing. Was there last year and except for the language, everything about the store is typical to virtually every other Apple non-flagship store.

I must say, I didn't think the location was the best. Would much prefer it on Wangfujing Street.

Planning on being in Shanghai in July. Would love to see the store before the unveiling. Lucky enough it is just across the street from my hotel.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

"he refused to say anything"... a typical communist chinese...

And you know that?how?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

What a bad thing to say. Is it really because the person was Communist or a Chinese that prompted the silent reaction? If there was an Apple Rep there, would (s)he have blabbed like an idiot? Steve Jobs would have been incensed by such an indiscretion.

CGC
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New pictures captured by reader dombi of the Hungarian-language BeszeljukMac site show the tower now decked in faux red curtains, similar to the launch of other Apple Stores. (A report by ifoAppleStore also published shots of the new store's red curtains.)

"Faux red" curtains?

What? They're not really red, they just appear that way. It's a trick! "Faux red" is the new black!

And they clearly circled the wrong structure in the last photo.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

what's up!!!!

"Under Red Curtains, guarded by Ninjas"? excuse me please, but Ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese, D-Bags...

I call AI out on this for the same reason why i WILL NOT see the new Karate Kid movie.

Ok, it's called Karate Kid, yet the Martial Arts he is training for is Kung Fu. Kung Fu is Chinese, Karate is typically a Japanese Martial Art.

Ha ha ha wrong movie title for the wrong action movie!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

HELLOOOooo ! He has his right to keep quiet! Can't a person be quiet when asked if he/she is in any demographic? So respect that. Talking about Human Rights. Sharks!
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Just how receptive are the chinese to macs? They're so accustomed to Windows pirateware that you can buy it on a street corner. Will they acutally buy software? Or just load Windoze? I think Apple has a difficult job of selling the mac advantage to the chinese. It would require educating the customer more so than in the US.

Having been to china, I noticed some cultural behaviors dealing with customers in general. During my stay, I was witness to several displays of meltdowns and freakouts by customers dealing with store and restaurant staff. Perhaps this is a cultural norm. Perhaps I was the only one who noticed.

Imagine chinese customer: What! It doesn't run windows! Freakout!

Selling a pc that does not run Windows is a hopeless cause in china.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

Just how receptive are the chinese to macs? They're so accustomed to Windows pirateware that you can buy it on a street corner. Will they acutally buy software? Or just load Windoze? I think Apple has a difficult job of selling the mac advantage to the chinese. It would require educating the customer more so than in the US.

Having been to china, I noticed some cultural behaviors dealing with customers in general. During my stay, I was witness to several displays of meltdowns and freakouts by customers dealing with store and restaurant staff. Perhaps this is a cultural norm. Perhaps I was the only one who noticed.

Imagine chinese customer: What! It doesn't run windows! Freakout!

Selling a pc that does not run Windows is a hopeless cause in china.

This is an upmarket locale and the target audience are those middle and above income earners with disposable cash. They are welling to spend to flirt their wealth and show their status above the rest. They may not spent a lot on originals but they are ever welling to acquire things to show they are some body. This is very much a chinese cultural thingy. The young are the affluent lot and this will open opportunity for Apple.

What you come across are probably the larger population with tight cash flow and though they will drool on iPhone/iPod/iPad they can live by using what they can get their hands on - replica (they don't like to use copy or duplicate) or Windozz be it original or not.

Remember how Japan followed by Taiwan used to be - a back yard shop making things for the world be it copy or what ever. They moved on to be first world. Now its going to be their turn.

Been there done that.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Horrible location...But I guess it was inevitable that they'd have to put a store in pudong at some point...everyone else does.

More interested to see where the other location is opening this summer. Hopefully Nanjing Road West!!!
  • Reply 34 of 39
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

The new real property is one of the two new stores opening in Shanghai this summer and counts among the 25 new Apple Stores that the company's chief operations executive Tim Cook said would open in China by the end of 2011.

25 stores?? Wow. And not one real one in New Zealand.

*Sigh*

Off to the retailers then. I can just see a nice glass box with some Apple Goodness inside in the middle of Auckland. Or Wellington for that matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Remember how Japan followed by Taiwan used to be - a back yard shop making things for the world be it copy or what ever. They moved on to be first world. Now its going to be their turn.

Been there done that.

The thing about Taiwan (and Taipei in particular) is that the place really has soul. My favourite Asian destination...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

The thing about Taiwan (and Taipei in particular) is that the place really has soul. My favourite Asian destination...

I totally disagree. Coming from Hong Kong, Taipei really feels... primitive. Like it's under (grey) construction or something. Feels more like a large city in China than Hong Kong. It feels like a tall concrete building, built in the 50's. Hong Kong feels like a modern glass structure.

In fact, with its parks, the river, Chinatown, temples, I actually like Bangkok more than Taipei.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

25 stores?? Wow. And not one real one in New Zealand.

*Sigh*

Off to the retailers then. I can just see a nice glass box with some Apple Goodness inside in the middle of Auckland. Or Wellington for that matter.

Don't worry it'll happen in NZ eventually. Apple is just going where the growth is first. Some might say China loves MS a lot, but it does have a lot of growth, the Chinese absolutely love good brands, and for a small part of the population (especially around this hub) they can afford the same things people in other modern cities can.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

Racist/xenophobic much?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anawrahta View Post

Horrible location...But I guess it was inevitable that they'd have to put a store in pudong at some point...everyone else does.

More interested to see where the other location is opening this summer. Hopefully Nanjing Road West!!!

Not a bad location.

It is across street from Shanda Mall, which is a high-end shopping destination (and always crowded). The target segment sounds right.

However, it is also next to Oriental Pearl, Jinmao Tower and World Finance Tower, so it will get quite some foot traffic from the tourists. That group is unlikely to have the money to spend on Macs.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Apple's cylindrical glass tower entrance to the new underground retail megastore in Shanghai China, set to open mid July, is now decked in red curtains, signaling close proximity to launch.

Notice they are not really curtains. Just big vinyl decals.