Unibody 2010 Mac mini gets iFixit teardown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

I remember it taking 45 mins to switch out ram and using a putty knife to pry the case off. Sucked

The old mini is definitely a pain to take apart. I didn't have a putty knife for my first one so it probably took me half an hour of fighting with kitchen utensils to get the top case off.

Then I downloaded a take-apart video and watched it on a second Mac. It really is much easier and faster if you can watch someone else do a step and then perform it yourself. The actual RAM replacement job took only half as long as my original fight with the case.

Even though it only took a few minutes the second time around thanks to better tools and familiarity with the task, I'm not looking forward to having to replace a hard drive in either of my minis.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

...and lousy performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

This will not live up to the expectations of anyone planning to do much more than Email, web surfing, and typing documents.

You don't know what you're talking about. The new Mac Mini is virtually identical in specs to my 19 Month old MacBook Pro, which is in no need of replacing anytime soon. I use it for RAW photo editing, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Motion, and even After Effects. Only in the last few weeks have I finally upgraded the memory from the original 2GB up to 4GB, which thankfully is now easy to do in the Mac Mini as well.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    yeah the spec jocks will never be happy about new apple hardware cos apple doesn't always include the latest and best (it's called compromise). we still use 4 year old core 2 imacs for design... and it seems that intel have struggled of late to make their newer cpus as enticing an upgrade as the core 2 duo was over its predecessors.

however about the apple displays... they really need to releae a 27 " that can sit comfortable next to the new imacs. Also, the more ports they put at the back of the thing the better in my book. I understand chopping off ports on something like a laptop but apple really needs to include just 3 ports on a monitor... displayport for the new macs, dvi for legacy compatibility and hdmi for those who wish to use the display with more than one device - e.g. as a monitor for their gaming console or a blu ray player...

think it'll be a nice incentive for more buyers
  • Reply 44 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frogbat View Post

I understand chopping off ports on something like a laptop but apple really needs to include just 3 ports on a monitor... displayport for the new macs, dvi for legacy compatibility and hdmi for those who wish to use the display with more than one device - e.g. as a monitor for their gaming console or a blu ray player...

think it'll be a nice incentive for more buyers

They could go with two types, like on the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, an still follow much of their design mantra. mDP and HDMI. if you someone with an older device with DVI a cheaper HDMI-to-DVI adapter would do the trick since they are the same video signaling.

However, I don't think they will go that route. While they could get more ACD sales with this seemingly simple feature encouraging customers to buy a DVR, Blu-ray player, or game console which all have media extender capabilities, internet access and other features that could get you out of using your Mac, which could lead to you not buying another Mac.

To add to that, Apple does appear to be focusing more on Mac gaming for the first time in, well, ever. I like the idea, but I don't think Apple would like it, which is the only opinion that counts here, for better or for worse.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Stunning product design.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Well, now we know which parts will get cooked by the power supply. Right under the memory slots. So if you get kernel panics you know what to do.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

they'd just rather have a decent affordable mac.

$699 is affordable for most people interested in buying a Mac. Gotta realize the people looking to spend $350 are shopping in the Windows isle down at the Walmart. They aren't Apple's customers and Apple doesn't need them. Lots of people are confused about the difference between growing a market and maintaing a market. Apple is maintaing the Mac market at this point. This means they're building machines that appeal to customers who have already decided they want a Mac.

Mac buyers who are looking for good values will often go to the second hand market which is very active. I've bought 4 Minis off eBay in the last 2 years for under $400 each for family members who were sick of their PC problems. I'm excited at the prospect of getting some 9400M based models flooding the second hand market soon.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

So it has a Core 2 Duo, huh. Very 2007.

Quote:

Aww, it's so cute. It's like a little netbook without a screen, keyboard, or battery. Not sure what I would do with such a low power machine that is meant to stay at home, but kudos on the design.

Quote:

I do have to agree. This is what you buy if you truly feel you can't live without an Apple computer and don't mind paying extra for the equal of a netbook. This will not live up to the expectations of anyone planning to do much more than Email, web surfing, and typing documents. Unless of course you can get iPhone apps on it. It should be powerful enough to run those pretty decently. It's clever in design and size, but needs more power. This would be great as a starter computer for children though. Of couse there are cheaper as powerful/more powerful options, but it is an Apple to say the least.

Lets look at some benchmarks

Passmark CPU score

Intel Atom Z540 @ 1.86GHz ------ 340

Intel Atom D510 (dual core) ------ 664

2007 macbook 2.16 ghz --------- 1223

2010 Mac Mini 2.4 ghz ---------- 1605

2010 Mac Mini 2.66 ghz---------- 1971

2010 3.06 iMac (any) 3mb l2 ------ 2110

2008 iMac 24inch 3.06 6mb l2 ----- 2249 (my computer)

2010 15 inch macbook i5 --------- 2374

Well that new mini isn't equal to a netbook. Thats fairly clear. If they put an i5 in the mini it would beat most of the entry level iMacs.... Right now the entry mini is 76% slower than the entry iMacs. (of course not comparing the GPU)
  • Reply 49 of 76
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I think it's great. RIP AppleTV.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    macmadmacmad Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. The new Mac Mini is virtually identical in specs to my 19 Month old MacBook Pro, which is in no need of replacing anytime soon. I use it for RAW photo editing, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Motion, and even After Effects. Only in the last few weeks have I finally upgraded the memory from the original 2GB up to 4GB, which thankfully is now easy to do in the Mac Mini as well.

Exactly! I've said it before, but I really don't know what people are using their Macs/PCs for if specs like this don't cut it. I use Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Xpress and Scrivener daily... as well as using my Macs for email, internet, music and video. The specs on the new Mini are just fine!

Anyone would think all the 'spec haters' are working for NASA....
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Waiting anxiously to read replies about you can buy all these parts off the shelf and your own for a lot less.

That's funny!
  • Reply 52 of 76
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

1. That processor is socketed or soldered, and if the i3/i5 etc are socket compatible?

2. That graphics chip (the 320) could be easily replaced with a 330 in a future revision if Apple chose to do so?

No, and no (the graphics chip is actually the computer chipset as well).

You'd be better off overclocking, but there's not much space inside to vent any extra heat generated. You might get a couple of hundred MHz more from the CPU, maybe 50MHz more from the GPU.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

If they put an i5 in the mini it would beat most of the entry level iMacs.... Right now the entry mini is 76% slower than the entry iMacs. (of course not comparing the GPU)

Here's hoping they do just that in the next revision. And of course, the iMacs will surely get i5s soon enough as well. I just wonder what they'll do for graphics, since Intel won't let them pair Nvidia integrated graphics with anything beyond a Core 2 Duo.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I have a 10 year old iBook that can handle e-mail, web-surfing and typing documents without a problem. It can even play games. I'll wager the average computer user does no more with their machines. I imagine a brand new Mini has more than enough power and speed to handle those tasks with ease.

The idea that a new one couldn't is laughable. There are plenty of G4 minis out there that still perform those tasks without issue (and they even run Leopard.) My brother still has a 12" G3 iBook that can do those things. He is definitely not a power user, but his computers run fine for those things. His fiancée is a teacher, and she has no troubles using iWork to create documents for her class on either machine.

I don't see where Apple missed its target audience, other than the $699 price point. I get the feeling Apple went with $699 because it's the only version, and the iPad starts at $499. Too close in price to the old minis. Now it's an easier decision for people whether to buy a mini or an iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I have a 10 year old iBook that can handle e-mail, web-surfing and typing documents without a problem. It can even play games. I'll wager the average computer user does no more with their machines. I imagine a brand new Mini has more than enough power and speed to handle those tasks with ease.

My five year old iBook struggles with e-mail (gmail is okay in Safari, but Mac Mail struggles), web surfing is slow and it can't even do YouTube, never mind flash (Farmville).

However a new Mac Mini will have 10x the graphics power (GeForce 320M vs. Radeon 9550), 8x the graphics memory (256MB shared vs. 32MB dedicated), a bit more RAM, 4x the CPU (1.33GHz PowerPC G4 vs. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo), and can do all the above. Windows compatible. It can even drive two monitors. It's a good all round computer. It's just too small to rest your monitor on.

And a $399 windows nettop PC can also do all the things you've mentioned.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

My five year old iBook struggles with e-mail (gmail is okay in Safari, but Mac Mail struggles), web surfing is slow and it can't even do YouTube, never mind flash (Farmville).

Time for some RAM and a clean install. You should be good to go with it
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Time for some RAM and a clean install. You should be good to go with it

It's got 1.5GB already.

How would a clean install help? I was under the impression that Mac OS X wasn't Windows! ;-)

How much is a 40GB/1.5GB/1.33GHz 2005 iBook 12" worth these days?
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's got 1.5GB already.

How would a clean install help? I was under the impression that Mac OS X wasn't Windows! ;-)

How much is a 40GB/1.5GB/1.33GHz 2005 iBook 12" worth these days?

Somewhere around $300. OS X possibly needing a clean install after 5 years, and Windows (XP...of the past) needing one every 6 months aren't the same thing.

Who do you know that would even consider using a Windows laptop longer than 5 years, and still worth $300? Perhaps the later models designed for 7 are capable, but I draw the line at Vista SP1. Vista was 2006 (actually..retail release was Jan '07 according to wiki....), and I don't know many people who still have those model laptops running Windows anymore. They would still need another year of service if bought in 2006 to match your iBook's age.

I would probably upgrade that iBook to a 60GB 7200 HD and clean install OS X. If it were mine, anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    FYI 1080p mkvs can be played on any mac with a 9400m if you use either Perian with QT7 (NOT QTX) or Plex with the hw acceleration binary.

(did a lot of testing to figure this shit out)
  • Reply 60 of 76
    May I ask if we have a chance to replace the DVD drive with a bluray?