Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone 4 rumored to be in production

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rumors of a CDMA iPhone compatible with the Verizon network in the U.S. persist, with a new report alleging that the handset will begin shipping to Apple in the fourth quarter of 2010.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Thursday that Pegatron Technology has received orders from Apple for a CDMA iPhone 4, according to industry sources. Those orders are expected to help the company grow its revenues in 2011.

"Pegatron will also start shipping a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 to Apple in the fourth quarter and is currently using its plants in Shanghai, China to produce the products, the sources noted," the report said. "The company is also working on gaining orders for MacBooks and iPads from Apple."

Pegatron manufactures products in a number of markets, including notebook and desktop computers, TV set top boxes, cable modems, game consoles, LCD TVs, digital music players, handsets, tablet PCs and e-book readers.

The latest DigiTimes rumor supports a report from The Wall Street Journal in March, which said that Apple was working on two new phones: the iPhone 4, to be launched next week, and a new Verizon-compatible CDMA phone that the newspaper said would go into mass production in September. The Journal also reported that Pegatron Technology would handle the manufacturing of the CDMA iPhone.

In May, DigiTimes reported that Pegatron had won the contract from Apple to produce a CDMA iPhone. Previous iPhones were built by Foxconn, which also assembles Apple's Mac mini, iPods and the iPad, and is the company's main supplier.

But Foxconn has recently come under fire after a number of widely publicized employee suicides. The manufacturer has responded to the incident by saying it will increase wages for employees and may relocate some of its factories in China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 125
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Well, I hope it's true. Apple will be taking on Android on more fronts. Developer will have more customers. Consumers will have more choice in the US.
  • Reply 2 of 125
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
  • Reply 3 of 125
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    So my understanding of CDMA technology is that it can not handle voice and data at the same time. This goes against a lot of the multitasking functionality of the iphones. Additionally. Doesn't facetime use 3G voice + data (wifi for now, 3g later) to make a video call? This doesn't seem technically possible on CDMA.
  • Reply 4 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Well, I hope it's true. Apple will be taking on Android on more fronts. Developer will have more customers. Consumers will have more choice in the US.

I hear you

but i dont like the idead we in canada had to wait until the storm pass to get the iphone 4g

but i guess thats the ways it is

hope the iphone go on another carrier in the US to smack down the Android Further

those google boys must the pissing their pants
  • Reply 5 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

So my understanding of CDMA technology is that it can not handle voice and data at the same time. This goes against a lot of the multitasking functionality of the iphones. Additionally. Doesn't facetime use 3G voice + data (wifi for now, 3g later) to make a video call? This doesn't seem technically possible on CDMA.

with apple all things Technological are possible
  • Reply 6 of 125
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 7 of 125
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Here in the UK, as far as I know, an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. That is, any iPhone will run on any of our networks - O2, Orange, Vodaphone. All you need is the requisite SIMM card for a particular network. I don't think the phones are manufactured to a particular mobile network brand. We use 3G networks here. Are they superior to what AT&T and Verizon's CDMA have to offer?
  • Reply 8 of 125
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

CDMA itself is capable of voice + data, at least with EVDO Rev. A. Verizon and Sprint just chose not to implement it. However, you can do vocie and data at the same time if you are in a WiFi hotspot, so FaceTime would still work as advertised. I wouldn't hold my breath on this though, they've been saying this stuff since the original first was announced in 2007.
  • Reply 9 of 125
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Here in the UK, as far as I know, an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. That is, any iPhone will run on any of our networks - O2, Orange, Vodaphone. All you need is the requisite SIMM card for a particular network. I don't think the phones are manufactured to a particular mobile network brand. We use 3G networks here. Are they superior to what AT&T and Verizon's CDMA have to offer?

You can get away with that because all of the networks in the UK (and Europe) use the same frequencies and encoding so that one radio will work with all of them. Once you're connected to the carrier's network, the SIMM card provides authentication so that you can use a particular network.

In the U.S. (and China, I believe), there are two completely unrelated formats. CDMA and GSM. A CDMA radio won't work with GSM network and vice versa. The current iPhone is GSM which means it works with any GSM network anywhere in the world - which covers much of the world. But it is incapable of accessing a DCMA network. This rumor says that they're building a different iPhone using a different radio chip so that it will work with CDMA. In theory, it is possible to have BOTH GSM and CDMA chips in a single device, but that's not generally done, at least in the U.S.
  • Reply 10 of 125
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 11 of 125
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Hopefully, they are coming to the US with these and this is not a rumor. VZW would be a welcome addition to the iPhone carrier list.
  • Reply 12 of 125
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    I wouldn't get everyone's hopes up to soon.. Even if they are making a CDMA version of the iPhone it doesn't mean they are breaking their contract with AT&T. They idea that it HAS to be for verizon is an incorrect assumption.

For example, in Canada and China the iPhone is not exclusive to any one carrier, and some of these countrie's carriers use CDMA. A good example of this is MTS in Canada, who is an affiliate of Bell.. a carrier which already offers iPhone. Many claims have reported that MTS will infact be offering iPhone 4, and at this point that would require a CDMA version of the handset.

Considering how strong Apple is making a push in China its also a very strong possibility that a CDMA phone would be for them.

I know Steve did make that comment that other US carrier may be benificial, but I wouldn't get everyone's hopes up just yet on verizon.
  • Reply 13 of 125
    stickydstickyd Posts: 11member
    surfing and talking at the same time on the EVO only works when surfing via 4G and using 3G for voice. If you don't have 4G coverage, it won't work.
  • Reply 14 of 125
    Enough already. Been there, done that.....many times. Ain't gonna happen on CDMA.
  • Reply 16 of 125
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Enough already. Been there, done that.....many times. Ain't gonna happen on CDMA.

I'm starting to believe these rumors. The WSJ originally stated that Apple was developing a Verizon iPhone and they are as reliable as anyone regarding these things. There was an interesting post on Droid Life yesterday (yeah I know but it was linked from a Mac site) that Verizon has inked a a big time contract with Apple for the iPhone and they would announce within a couple of months.

Factor in AT&T is suddenly letting a ton of customers upgrade when they're not even eligible and it starts to make a lot of sense. It was just last year when AT&T was rejecting a lot of people when they attempted to get a 3GS.
  • Reply 17 of 125
    That's because all UK carriers use the same technology as AT&T, and on a standard set of frequencies. In the US, T-Mobile and AT&T use the same technologies, but the 3G bands are different frequencies, meaning a 3G phone for one carrier might not work on the other. Verizon & Sprint in the US use a completely different technology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

• Reply 18 of 125
    Sorry but Verizon has been testing a CDMA Iphone and a CDMA/LTE Ipad for several months now. Ipad should be out by February, Iphone sometime before that.
  • Reply 19 of 125
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm starting to believe these rumors. The WSJ originally stated that Apple was developing a Verizon iPhone and they are as reliable as anyone regarding these things. There was an interesting post on Droid Life yesterday (yeah I know but it was linked from a Mac site) that Verizon has inked a a big time contract with Apple for the iPhone and they would announce within a couple of months.

Factor in AT&T is suddenly letting a ton of customers upgrade when they're no even eligible and it starts to make a lot of sense. It was just last year when AT&T was rejecting a lot of people for upgrade eligibility.

Jeez...

CDMA iPhones are for China, NOT Verizon.

You know, China; the country with more cellphone customers than the entire population of the US and Canada combined. Serious money to be made...
  • Reply 20 of 125
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    The coming of a CDMA iPhone to Verizon would explain ATT's rush to allow users to upgrade to iPhone-4 early.

I don't think they were so hot to give away $400/phone 3 or 4 months early. I think they just wanted to lock in those customers for another 2 years before possibly loosing them to V.

Overall, I think ATT has been a good partner for Apple. In the early days, it allowed them to have a single provider which simplifies debugging issues. It also allowed them to have a single phone for the whole world. This is the way they like to do business - keep things as simple as possible. Put the complexity into the user experience.

Unfortunately, this also degraded the user experience because the network was overtaxed, but I am sure this would have happened to Verizon also if they had been sole carrier.

I don't think anyone predicted the runaway success of this phone.