Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The FBI this week arrested one man who claimed to be involved in the iPad 3G security breach on felony drug charges. Since then, his free podcasts available on iTunes featuring derogatory comments about Jewish people and the media have gained attention.

Andrew Auernheimer, 24, was arrested after a search warrant from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation was executed on his Arkansas home, CNet reported. Authorities said they discovered cocaine, LSD, ecstasy, and schedule 2 and 3 pharmaceuticals at the home of the hacker, who goes by the handle "Weev" and is a resident of Fayetteville, Ark.

"Auernheimer is a key member of the Goatse Security group that discovered the security weakness in an AT&T Web site for iPad users last week," the report said. "AT&T criticized the hackers for disclosing the flaw, but Auernheimer told CNET that his group waited until AT&T had fixed the problem before going public and did so to help consumers protect themselves."

The FBI announced last week that it was investigating the security breach that exposed the e-mail addresses of at least 114,000 iPad 3G users on the AT&T network in the U.S. The information was obtained by hackers who exploited a security flaw on AT&T's Web servers.

As noted by Edible Apple, the hacker "Weev" has hosted a video podcast entitled "The iProphet's Sunday Morning Sermons." Referring to himself as "the iProphet Weevlos," he delved into "topics related to true Christians today."

Andrew Auernheimer's booking photo, via the Washington County Detention Center.

The first episode, entitled "on dead celebrities," was released on July 2, 2009. The host begins the show by taking satisfaction that "God is destroying the celebrities, the prized celebrities of the media Jews, to express his dissatisfaction." He goes on to mention the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson, and describe the celebrities in explicit and derogatory terms.

Another podcast released on May 12, 2009, is entitled "JESUS WAS NOT A JEW." In the episode, the host, who is called "Andrew" by someone off-screen, speaks into a webcam while holding a gun. "It helps me think," he tells someone else in the room. He goes on to say that the "whole thing" of Judaism is to pay a few "coins" to be "washed away of your daily sins."

Law enforcement officials in Vancouver, Canada, said last year they believed that Auernheimer was involved in threats to a Jewish community. Authorities reportedly warned Auernheimer not to go near any Jewish congregation. He responded by claiming he "has no violent intentions."

Auernheimer was also featured in a 2008 piece on Internet "trolls." In the piece, he was referred to only by his pseudonym, Weev.

"I want everyone off the Internet," Weev was quoted as saying. "Bloggers are filth. They need to be destroyed. Blogging gives the illusion of participation to a bunch of retards... We need to put these people in the oven!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    This is off-post. Thank you Kasper for fixing the iPhone mobile site. It's much improved. However, when clicking "comments" the page broke, so it's affecting every article. Will you please fix it? Thanks again!
  • Reply 2 of 87
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I bet his parents are proud.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    People with crazy beards are often crazy JK

Nice red beard though, plus the drugs. Amazing. If he wises up in prison he should apply to be a security consultant for ATT.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    LOL, he looks like the caveman in the Geico commercials.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    ashannashann Posts: 1member
    i am from Fayetteville AR and were not all crazy but that guy is psycho
  • Reply 6 of 87
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

So not only are we a police state, we're a corporate owned police state.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    Or did anyone else have a slightly different mental image of "security professional".
  • Reply 8 of 87
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

WTF are you talking about, would it be better if they busted him for drugs and found out he was a baby killer, as long as that baby didn't belong to anyone rich or famous(?)
  • Reply 9 of 87
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying “The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust” and “You killed my Lord. You will pay.”

You never know.
  • Reply 10 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Oh really? I didn't see anything about pot, but I did see LSD, ecstasy, and cocaine.
  • Reply 11 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Or did anyone else have a slightly different mental image of "security professional".

Surprisingly, no, not much. A lot of these so-called security professionals are "reformed" hackers. A pretty weird bunch, though I don't suppose most of them are nearly as bizarre as this individual.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    It's a shame to have 'goatse' associated with an asshole like that.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Actually as I understand it, they served a warrant to take his computers as part of an investigation into the ATT trick and what other hacking he's been up to, since it's going across state lines, affecting hundreds of thousands etc. According to at least one version of the story, he sold the email addresses he had gathered to the media (although he claims to have not kept a copy), so that probably didn't sit well either.

And when serving it the drugs were in plain site, which means that the Feds can seize them and act on them. Even if the warrant says nothing about drugs.

So even if they can't make the hacking or some kind of cyber terrorism stick, they have felony drug possession they can stick on him
  • Reply 14 of 87
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    How long has it been since he came out of his mom's basement?
  • Reply 15 of 87
    I'd like to thank Andrew for thinking of my safety and security but I'd have to decline his assistance in dealing with bloggers and Jews... or anyone else for that matter.

Stay home Andrew. Lock the doors. We'll bring you food and water... promise.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd like to thank Andrew for thinking of my safety and security but I'd have to decline his assistance in dealing with bloggers

As a friend pointed out, isn't podcasting just a form of blogging via audio/video. so shouldn't this guy be condemning himself
  • Reply 17 of 87
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Corporations do often run things, and are often above the law. That?s a pretty important issue to be aware of and not just accept.

But crazy conspiracy theories aren?t needed?that just fosters the ignorant view that only a commie or a loony would criticize a corporation. Reality is scary enough without making things up.

Maybe this guy was busted for illegal drugs because he, you know, had illegal drugs As opposed to some master conspiracy involving tons of officers and investigators, all keeping the secret together (and yet somehow being caught by anonymous forum goers). And the forces of darkness traveled back in time to plant the other red flags too?nice!
  • Reply 18 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

It's a shame to have 'goatse' associated with an asshole like that.

• Reply 19 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Stay home Andrew. Lock the doors. We'll bring you food and water... promise.

Looks like he might find himself on the wrong side of a locked door.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    You have to be on drugs to be messing around with a company like AT&T and Apple. FBI should give him what he needs very much; put his ass away in jail for a very long time. May be he will meet Jesus there.