Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think it is a real shame that someone with his apparent technical skills is so far off the mark in other parts of his life. It would have been great for him to have used his talents to a better, more constructive purpose.

You could be talking about the Unabomber as well. Or even Bobby Fischer, who went nuts with paranoia about Jews.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

It's a shame to have 'goatse' associated with an asshole like that.

Any kind of interest in Goatse is a strong indicator of juvenile idiocy. Goatse is the ultimate poo-poo joke, and most people grow out of poo-poo jokes around age 12.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

... I've read about 3 different articles on this. All 3 say the same thing: Arrested on felony drug charges.

Why wasn't he being arrested for hacking?

Had the drugs not been present, would he had been arrested for hacking?

They got a warrant to search his house for evidence related to hacking. Clearly, evidence of hacking is something that they have to go through his "property" (computers, written notes, etc.) to find, so if they hadn't found anything else, no, he would probably not have been arrested on the spot because they wouldn't have had the time to go through everything and discover evidence of hacking. They'll charge him with that later after they sift through the computers and notes. But, since he had illegal drugs lying around the house, he was arrested on that charge, on the spot. It's pretty simple really.

Quote:

Just ask yourself that question, then ask yourself if the government even has the right to tell you what you can and can't put in your body. It wasn't a drug trafficking charge, it was a possession charge.

Well, if you don't think the government has this right, then do something to get the law changed. As it stands it's illegal, so, possessing illegal drugs makes you subject to arrest. Again, very simple.

Personally, I think the whole "War on Drugs" is a waste of time, money, and lives, and keeping drugs illegal just serves to enrich those who produce and distribute them, as well as those who profit from law enforcement and detention activities in a system where drug law enforcement consumes vast resources. But, until our country comes to its senses and changes the laws, it's still illegal to possess them.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattalex View Post

This guy left no asshole stone unturned. At least he's thorough. \

Drug users aren't assholes by definition, neither are hackers. Very, very few people don't use drugs of some kind in their daily lives.

Drug addiction is sad, but also not an entry card to the world of asshole-dom per se.

His only true a-hole card is the bigotry. There are no "non-asshole bigots."
  • Reply 45 of 87
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Corporations do often run things, and are often above the law. That?s a pretty important issue to be aware of and not just accept.

But crazy conspiracy theories aren?t needed?that just fosters the ignorant view that only a commie or a loony would criticize a corporation. Reality is scary enough without making things up.

Maybe this guy was busted for illegal drugs because he, you know, had illegal drugs As opposed to some master conspiracy involving tons of officers and investigators, all keeping the secret together (and yet somehow being caught by anonymous forum goers). And the forces of darkness traveled back in time to plant the other red flags too?nice!

+1.

I was also under the impression that the police had a warrant for this fella from the hacking deal and THEN they found the drugs as a bonus.
  • Reply 46 of 87

-Drr

• Reply 47 of 87
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the examples I was going to mention. At least Mitnick wasn't a complete nutter.

Seems like a case of the avenging angel syndrome. Of course we're overlooking the very real possibility that he was set up, that the drugs were planted in his home, and he never posted those hateful podcasts.

Oh yeah, sure. He was "SET UP"...do you realize how big an idiot you look like now thinking that BS?
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by connector View Post

At some point in ones life it is exciting to trip balls, but unfortunately it always leads to a feedback loop of irrational paranoia. What a great publicity stunt to start your new anti-blog ya pungent orifice. Time to get clean and real Weev!

Umm, for your information AT&T flies are attracted to fecal matter.

More likely that he'll simply delude himself that the stench is an aromatic and honorable salvation.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:

One of the examples I was going to mention. At least Mitnick wasn't a complete nutter.

Seems like a case of the avenging angel syndrome. Of course we're overlooking the very real possibility that he was set up, that the drugs were planted in his home, and he never posted those hateful podcasts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The FBI this week arrested one man who claimed to be involved in the iPad 3G security breach on felony drug charges. Since then, his free podcasts available on iTunes featuring derogatory comments about Jewish people and the media have gained attention.

Andrew Auernheimer, 24, was arrested after a search warrant from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation was executed on his Arkansas home, CNet reported. Authorities said they discovered cocaine, LSD, ecstasy, and schedule 2 and 3 pharmaceuticals at the home of the hacker, who goes by the handle "Weev" and is a resident of Fayetteville, Ark.

"Auernheimer is a key member of the Goatse Security group that discovered the security weakness in an AT&T Web site for iPad users last week," the report said. "AT&T criticized the hackers for disclosing the flaw, but Auernheimer told CNET that his group waited until AT&T had fixed the problem before going public and did so to help consumers protect themselves."

The FBI announced last week that it was investigating the security breach that exposed the e-mail addresses of at least 114,000 iPad 3G users on the AT&T network in the U.S. The information was obtained by hackers who exploited a security flaw on AT&T's Web servers.

As noted by Edible Apple, the hacker "Weev" has hosted a video podcast entitled "The iProphet's Sunday Morning Sermons." Referring to himself as "the iProphet Weevlos," he delved into "topics related to true Christians today."

Andrew Auernheimer's booking photo, via the Washington County Detention Center.

The first episode, entitled "on dead celebrities," was released on July 2, 2009. The host begins the show by taking satisfaction that "God is destroying the celebrities, the prized celebrities of the media Jews, to express his dissatisfaction." He goes on to mention the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson, and describe the celebrities in explicit and derogatory terms.

Another podcast released on May 12, 2009, is entitled "JESUS WAS NOT A JEW." In the episode, the host, who is called "Andrew" by someone off-screen, speaks into a webcam while holding a gun. "It helps me think," he tells someone else in the room. He goes on to say that the "whole thing" of Judaism is to pay a few "coins" to be "washed away of your daily sins."

Law enforcement officials in Vancouver, Canada, said last year they believed that Auernheimer was involved in threats to a Jewish community. Authorities reportedly warned Auernheimer not to go near any Jewish congregation. He responded by claiming he "has no violent intentions."

Auernheimer was also featured in a 2008 piece on Internet "trolls." In the piece, he was referred to only by his pseudonym, Weev.

"I want everyone off the Internet," Weev was quoted as saying. "Bloggers are filth. They need to be destroyed. Blogging gives the illusion of participation to a bunch of retards... We need to put these people in the oven!"

Probably the biggest douche of a greasy loser we'll ever see. I hope they hang him by his nutsack....
  • Reply 50 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Quote:

Of course we're overlooking the very real possibility that he was set up, that the drugs were planted in his home, and he never posted those hateful podcasts.

Oh yeah, sure. He was "SET UP"...do you realize how big an idiot you look like now thinking that BS?

I hope you ducked when that one flew right over your head.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The conspirators must have shot him up right before booking because that dude is stoned and happy about it.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Sorry you missed the sarcasm. I thought I'd left it in plain sight.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Really? You think that's some sort of amazing point to make as a reply to what I said?

Had the drugs not been present, would he had been arrested for hacking? Just ask yourself that question, then ask yourself if the government even has the right to tell you what you can and can't put in your body. It wasn't a drug trafficking charge, it was a possession charge.

The point EVERYONE was trying to make to you is your trying to pull out some bullshit consperacy theory, when the simple fact is the guy is a criminal.

Making garbage arguments like the one you presented is the kind of crap that gets people like this off the hook, then everyone wonders why they aren't already in jail when he goes out and kills a Jew.

This article is on AI because it happens to involve the AT&T hack by COINCEDENCE, as it seems like that was their "in" to getting to this guy. I gaurentee you that is a minor concern to the police in relation to this retard.. this guy is involved in hate crimes, violent threats, and is now guilty of drug possesion (Which is STILL a crime, and unless he is cooking it all himself, he had to buy it from someone which makes him part of the trafficing process). My point was that a crime is a crime. Who gives a crap which one they picked him up for. Whatever route they take to lock him up is fine by me.

I understand you seemingly over reacted on your original comment, and you came off alot more intelligent on your follow ups, but do you really want this guy on the streets..
  • Reply 54 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I love that he lived on "Shady" Ave.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I love that he lived on "Shady" Ave.

Probably because they didn't have a Stoner Street or Anti-Semite Avenue.

BTW, still wondering how that address comes up as the office of an attorney. Not even the same last name.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    jasonbeejasonbee Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashann View Post

i am from Fayetteville AR and were not all crazy but that guy is psycho

And there are plenty there though...mind you he also looks like the computer lab sysyadmin we had

Ah the days we had in Fayettenam...
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I understand you seemingly over reacted on your original comment, and you came off alot more intelligent on your follow ups, but do you really want this guy on the streets..

According to the booking report, he was released 6/17/2010 at 11:33 after posting bonds totaling $3160.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Drug users aren't assholes by definition, neither are hackers. Very, very few people don't use drugs of some kind in their daily lives.

Drug addiction is sad, but also not an entry card to the world of asshole-dom per se.

His only true a-hole card is the bigotry. There are no "non-asshole bigots."

I'll happily give you your point about the drugs. Don't really know enough about hackers, but they sure seems to make a lot people's lives worse. I am truly happy to be better informed on that front.

Most importantly, I would really hope that level of Anti-Semitism is enough to get some agreement from people here about his asshole status. That I will not back down from. Quite the opposite.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

According to the booking report, he was released 6/17/2010 at 11:33 after posting bonds totaling $3160.

Uggh.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Surprisingly, no, not much. A lot of these so-called security professionals are "reformed" hackers. A pretty weird bunch, though I don't suppose most of them are nearly as bizarre as this individual.

Thats funny...I am a data security professional and have never done any hacking....

I work with a large number of security people and only one of them was a "hacker" of any sort. Most of them are clean cut polo shirt and khacki pants types......and we work for a fortune 100 company. Now the anti-virus guys are the ones that have the beards and tatoos! :-)