Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattalex View Post

Most importantly, I would really hope that level of Anti-Semitism is enough to get some agreement from people here about his asshole status. That I will not back down from. Quite the opposite.

The guy is clearly extremely conflicted. I could never have imagined such a strange combination of oxymorons. Anti-semite Christian? Hacking/Spammer Security Professional? LSD Hippie Redneck?

He is some piece of work. Speaking of work, did it say anywhere if he had a job?
  • Reply 62 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Thats funny...I am a data security professional and have never done any hacking....

I work with a large number of security people and only one of them was a "hacker" of any sort. Most of them are clean cut polo shirt and khacki pants types......and we work for a fortune 100 company. Now the anti-virus guys are the ones that have the beards and tatoos! :-)

Well okay, some. A few?
  • Reply 63 of 87
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well okay, some. A few?

But then you might have a point...what is normal to you might be abby normal to me! :-)
  • Reply 64 of 87
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They got a warrant to search his house for evidence related to hacking. Clearly, evidence of hacking is something that they have to go through his "property" (computers, written notes, etc.) to find, so if they hadn't found anything else, no, he would probably not have been arrested on the spot because they wouldn't have had the time to go through everything and discover evidence of hacking. They'll charge him with that later after they sift through the computers and notes. But, since he had illegal drugs lying around the house, he was arrested on that charge, on the spot. It's pretty simple really.

Well, if you don't think the government has this right, then do something to get the law changed. As it stands it's illegal, so, possessing illegal drugs makes you subject to arrest. Again, very simple.

Personally, I think the whole "War on Drugs" is a waste of time, money, and lives, and keeping drugs illegal just serves to enrich those who produce and distribute them, as well as those who profit from law enforcement and detention activities in a system where drug law enforcement consumes vast resources. But, until our country comes to its senses and changes the laws, it's still illegal to possess them.

Ok so the warrant DID involve the hacking stuff. That's all I was confused about.

I have heard of situations where someone gets arrested because a cop responds to a noise disturbance, then sees a glass pipe sitting on a coffee table. Here, I thought they went to his house strictly on the charge of possession of drugs (like using that as an excuse to go through his stuff) and then building the hacking charge off that, which I think smells a little rotten.

(BTW, I share your views on the war on drugs which is why I'm admittedly a Ron Paul sheep )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

The point EVERYONE was trying to make to you is your trying to pull out some bullshit consperacy theory, when the simple fact is the guy is a criminal.

Making garbage arguments like the one you presented is the kind of crap that gets people like this off the hook, then everyone wonders why they aren't already in jail when he goes out and kills a Jew.

This article is on AI because it happens to involve the AT&T hack by COINCEDENCE, as it seems like that was their "in" to getting to this guy. I gaurentee you that is a minor concern to the police in relation to this retard.. this guy is involved in hate crimes, violent threats, and is now guilty of drug possesion (Which is STILL a crime, and unless he is cooking it all himself, he had to buy it from someone which makes him part of the trafficing process). My point was that a crime is a crime. Who gives a crap which one they picked him up for. Whatever route they take to lock him up is fine by me.

I understand you seemingly over reacted on your original comment, and you came off alot more intelligent on your follow ups, but do you really want this guy on the streets..

Think of it like this: Cops know this dude likes to get high, but why go after the little fish? Better to focus on the traffickers. Then here comes AT&T or Apple and they say to the cops, "look, we're almost positive he hacked us, but we don't have enough evidence. Here's a "donation" to the department, now go and use that minor drug charge to get us what we need."

Would you be able to wield that sort of influence on police? That's all I'm getting at.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    Can we not get any bigger picture of him? Was reading this on my iPad and there you go, smack in my face his photo mug!
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

... Then here comes AT&T or Apple and they say to the cops, "look, we're almost positive he hacked us, but we don't have enough evidence. Here's a "donation" to the department, now go and use that minor drug charge to get us what we need."

Would you be able to wield that sort of influence on police? That's all I'm getting at.

• Reply 67 of 87
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

So not only are we a police state, we're a corporate owned police state.

And you wonder where people like him come from?

Two logic fails, details below... then I suggest thinking about a life philosophy that incorporates more personal responsibility (humanistic) rather than some supernatural corporate demon.

1. How long do you suppose a judge takes to issue a search warrant after this idiot publicly declared his illegal 'hacking'?

2. If this were a corporate police state, wouldn't he have already been zapped the minute he fondled AT&T's ports and servers?

If you've applied this logic in other areas of your life, probably want to rethink those too.

• Reply 68 of 87
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Think of it like this: Cops know this dude likes to get high, but why go after the little fish? Better to focus on the traffickers. Then here comes AT&T or Apple and they say to the cops, "look, we're almost positive he hacked us, but we don't have enough evidence. Here's a "donation" to the department, now go and use that minor drug charge to get us what we need."

Dude.. that would be a perfectly valid point if you weren't completely making it up.. Donation? where are you getting this from?? And again as was mentioned by others, they found out about the drugs AFTER they went in. Neither the cops nor AT&T had any indication he had any involvement in drugs until after. I mean its a cool theory but at the end of the day it's fiction.

To many movies man..
  • Reply 69 of 87
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The guy is clearly extremely conflicted. I could never have imagined such a strange combination of oxymorons. Anti-semite Christian? Hacking/Spammer Security Professional? LSD Hippie Redneck?

He is some piece of work. Speaking of work, did it say anywhere if he had a job?

I agree on conflicted! He probably drinks Pepsi out of a Coke can, writes in Obama on a Republican ballot, and runs Windows on a Mac.....hey...wait a minute!!!!
  • Reply 70 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I just want to point out the beautiful Google ads that are showing up at the bottom of this page. Refresh a few times and you'll see what I mean...
  • Reply 71 of 87
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Cocaine, LSD, ecstasy? Big fking deal!
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Silliest thing is he's of German Jewish extraction (whatever that means). Is he what is commonly referred to as a self-hating Jew?
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Dude.. that would be a perfectly valid point if you weren't completely making it up.. Donation? where are you getting this from?? And again as was mentioned by others, they found out about the drugs AFTER they went in. Neither the cops nor AT&T had any indication he had any involvement in drugs until after. I mean its a cool theory but at the end of the day it's fiction.

To many movies man..

Too many movies? More like I'm a citizen of the United States of America and I know exactly what kind of influence a corporation can have.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Silliest thing is he's of German Jewish extraction (whatever that means). Is he what is commonly referred to as a self-hating Jew?

Meaning one or both of his parents are in whole or part ethnically Jewish, which of course has nothing to do with being a practicing Jew. He is what is commonly referred to as a nutcase.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Unemployed, no college degree. Did a few years at James madison when 14-15 yrs old. Nytimes article on weev from 08

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/ma...pagewanted=all
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

And you wonder where people like him come from?

Two logic fails, details below... then I suggest thinking about a life philosophy that incorporates more personal responsibility (humanistic) rather than some supernatural corporate demon.

1. How long do you suppose a judge takes to issue a search warrant after this idiot publicly declared his illegal 'hacking'?

2. If this were a corporate police state, wouldn't he have already been zapped the minute he fondled AT&T's ports and servers?

If you've applied this logic in other areas of your life, probably want to rethink those too.

Lets see, fluff fluff fluff, fluff... More fluff.. AH! There's your comment!

Publicly declaring something illegal in nature on the internet happens daily. That can't possibly be enough to issue a search warrant, and if it is, it further proves that we're in a police state. I guess I should watch it when I tell people on youtube that I weight my weekly pot bag on a cow scale!

If they had solid evidence that he "fondled AT&T's ports and servers" then they would have issued an arrest warrant, not a search warrant. His recreational drugs just happened to be icing on the cake for them, because now they can detain him for that while they rummage through his pc. In fact, I'd bet money that they knew they would find drugs as he probably talked about how awesomely high he was a lot.

The point is I'm not completely nuts for thinking there's something slimy going on here and that a corporation is influencing the police more-so than an average citizen could.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    Quote:

Lets see, fluff fluff fluff, fluff... More fluff.. AH! There's your comment!

The point is I'm not completely nuts for thinking there's something slimy going on here and that a corporation is influencing the police more-so than an average citizen could.

No, not completely.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?.

While I'd be more than happy to drawn into an x-files, tinfoil hat conspiracy theory... Let's think about things just for a moment or two. When one actively participates in illegal activity the number of simultaneous illegal activities greatly enhances ones chance of getting busted for one and or all of said inappropriate acts.

Why is the theme song from beretta buzzing my brain.... DAMN it took me 20 years to get rid of it AND NOW ITS BACK...
  • Reply 79 of 87
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Any kind of interest in Goatse is a strong indicator of juvenile idiocy. Goatse is the ultimate poo-poo joke, and most people grow out of poo-poo jokes around age 12.

Obviously you haven't seen Goaste's sexy girlfriend, TUBGIRL!!
  • Reply 80 of 87
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

According to the booking report, he was released 6/17/2010 at 11:33 after posting bonds totaling $3160.

Did Gizmodo post his bond?