Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This was intentional. Wait for more stunts like this. First were the Verizon iPhone rumors and now this. Can't wait until tomorrow.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildag View Post

I use nothing but Apple products, because I rely on their stability. And I get that AppleInsider makes more money when Apple has a positive public image.

However, this article is a lousy excuse for journalism. The motivation, and clear partisanship of the content is absurd. I respect AppleInsider much less because I read this article.

Motivation and clear partisanship do not change the fact that the information provided is overall correct. So what is your point?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

That's classic all the 'droid fanbois were going NUTS slamming the "crappy" iPhone 4 resolution

Too funny. I bet that humble pie is pretty sour! Now they have to go back to drooling.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This was intentional. Wait for more stunts like this. First were the Verizon iPhone rumors and now this. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Actually, first were the reports of sales figures that were several times higher than reality.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Only a fool will fall for an Android phone. It is the biggest mess since the Windows PC. So many phones running different versions of the same software. It is like being on a ship with no captain.

I can't say it better than you did in this article. Thanks for helping save a few poor souls from confusion.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, first were the reports of sales figures that were several times higher than reality.

I heard reports of that happening on Sprint with the HTC EVO 4G, but not on Verizon or with Moto.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ugh it was a simple mistake that was corrected. get over it.

Have you noticed that simple mistakes made by corps are always to their advantage. For example, BP: spilling 1K barrels per day. Now admitting at least 35K per day (last I checked) while some estimates are much, MUCH higher.

Now if they had quoted a lower resolution on this screen on the Droid, then you might have something.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    @bitWrangler - "Rather, they need people to _use_ handsets to drive ad revenue."

Exactly. Never forget that Google makes no money on Android software itself. And that all Google cares about is spreading Android, through whatever hardware OEMs they can line up, to use as an AdMob platform.

We'll see how poorly the HTC Aria does against iPhone 4. I suspect that most AT&T smartphone customers will be saying "These aren't the Droids we're looking for."
  • Reply 29 of 100
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Whenever one of your Android-thug friends whines about the "walled garden" that is the Apple iOS ecosystem, just tell him this: "I'd rather live in the Apple walled garden than in the Android weed patch."
  • Reply 30 of 100
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

His review is consistent with everything I've seen and read about Android. This also validates my suspicion that the hardcore Android fanboys are just living in their own little bubble to think that Android is a more "superior" platform.

The reality that the Android-cult refuses to believe and will forever live in denial is that unless you have the intimate hardware/software cohesion that Apple has proved successful with, Android devices will always be the bottom-barrel option for tech-heads with too much time on their hands fiddling away with the PC-paradigm on mobile handsets to feed their ADHD personalities.

The regular Joe just wants their phone to simple "work" and not spend hours fiddling with some obscure rogue app that works on one handheld but not another due to fragmentation.

Android may in fact eventually become the "M$ Windows" of mobile OS, but like the desktop counterpart, it does everything good, but nothing well.

Thank you, but I'll continue enjoying my soon-to-arrive iPhone4 to replace my original iPhone2g. Not only is/will it be a stunning example of hardware engineering, it will also (continue to) be a great example of how to correctly design a mobile operating system.

sflocal - great points.

To me the Android drones are what all the pc drones have been in the past, always trying to notch down Apple for what is and is not. As far as I'm concerned use whatever hardware/software combo that works best for you and your needs.

I do think the competition from Android devices is good for Apple as they will continue to make better innovative products that others will want to copy.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Whenever one of your Android-thug friends whines about the "walled garden" that is the Apple iOS ecosystem, just tell him this: "I'd rather live in the Apple walled garden than in the Android weed patch."

Great comment!
  • Reply 32 of 100
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    I guess Droid doesn't.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Motivation and clear partisanship do not change the fact that the information provided is overall correct. So what is your point?

Not really. Plenty of reviewers have positively reviewed Android phones. It seems like whoever wrote this news article picked and chose which ones to quote.

EDIT: I think the biggest thing here is the question of what this has to do with Apple or AT&T. Maybe something talking about AT&T announcing 2 Android handsets in a week and what that means for the iPhone, but a marketing mistake for the Droid X on Verizon? Sure it might be tangentially related because AT&T and Verizon are carriers and Apple and Motorola are manufacturers, but this is just petty.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

Not really. Plenty of reviewers have positively reviewed Android phones. It seems like whoever wrote this news article picked and chose which ones to quote.

EDIT: I think the biggest thing here is the question of what this has to do with Apple or AT&T. Maybe something talking about AT&T announcing 2 Android handsets in a week and what that means for the iPhone, but a marketing mistake for the Droid X on Verizon? Sure it might be tangentially related because AT&T and Verizon are carriers and Apple and Motorola are manufacturers, but this is just petty.

And what does this article on a Droid web site have to do with Android?

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/16...-up-with-cash/

Android is Apple's main competitor, and vice versa, so news on either is interesting and relevant to both.
  • Reply 35 of 100
  • Reply 36 of 100
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    More like HemaROID.....
  • Reply 37 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

One mistake is forgivable. But when there's a long string of mistaken marketing information, that becomes relevant. And since Android handsets are competing with Apple's iPhone, what makes you think it's NOT relevant?
  • Reply 38 of 100
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

His review is consistent with everything I've seen and read about Android.

Next time try not to read, but to use the device.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

For me Android's biggest problem is one company makes the operating system and another company makes the hardware and tweeks the operating system to their hardware. (Except for Nexus 1).This for me has always been one of Apples's strongest points. The hardware and software are made for each other and each work well together. RIM does it and does it well, and Palm does it and does it well. (Maybe Nokia too I'm not sure). But to me Apple has the best hardware and software combination in all their products.

Nexus One made by ... HTC, not Google

RIM is loosing the marketshare. Palm? Where is Palm? There is no Palm anymore. You don't know about Nokia (by the way, it's loosing marketshare too). Windows is struggling, but I'm sure that Windows Phone 7 will be successful.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    I like to read articles written by Prince. He has a very rare ability to speak about things he doesn't know and turn upside down every single fact.