Apple to launch new Find My Phone app, MobileMe updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I dont get it.. they're releasing a "find my Phone" app... to use on your phone?? AM I missing something??

Right now the only way to access "find my iDevice" is to be on a computer.

but what if you left your phone somewhere but have your ipad with you. You couldn't access the website until the last few adjustments. And you can't use your phone to find your missing ipad. Plus all that going to a site, logging in takes extra steps. But an app that opens in one click is quicker. Plus what if it's not you but your wife or child that lost the phone. According to some talk, if you are the master account holder you can find any iphone linked to your family account.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I have been a mobileme user since the .mac days, and have decided not to renew. Between Google Sync and Dropbox, MobileMe is really hard for me to justify anymore.

Not me. I'd rather pay a reasonable amount and not have the ads and such of Google.

Quote:

Hopefully they will get mobileme polished up and doing what it is supposed to.

What it's supposed to do? Don't you mean "what I want it to do for the price I want to pay for it"
  • Reply 22 of 36
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    We have been very happy with MobileMe and for this family with multiple Mac's and iPhones it does a great job. All of our stuff stays in sync no matter what device you are on.

We could do like others have been doing by piecing together multiple "free" products to get the same thing, or I could save myself a lot of time and grief (and avoid Google) by paying less than $10 month for MobileMe.

It may not be the choice for everyone, but it is for us.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Great news on upgrades. MobileMe is going to really shine for me when there's complete integration between the iOS, the apps, and Me storage. Moving things on and off the iDevices is a pain and network accessed file system make a great potential solution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Hopefully we'll see an iPad version of the iDisk app this week too.

DropBox works really well. 2 GB minimum.

And it's free!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    At least iDisk and gallery
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Hopefully we'll see an iPad version of the iDisk app this week too.

An iPad version of the MobileMe Gallery app would be nice too.

I find it a bit shocking that Apple launched the iPad without iPad versions of the apps that access basic services they supposedly provide to their "premium" members, but then the the iWork apps for the iPad still feel very beta-like as well.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The boys in Cupertino are very aggressive this year - I love it.

That's because of good ole competition. it can light a fire under your (__!__)
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

We have been very happy with MobileMe and for this family with multiple Mac's and iPhones it does a great job. All of our stuff stays in sync no matter what device you are on.

We could do like others have been doing by piecing together multiple "free" products to get the same thing, or I could save myself a lot of time and grief (and avoid Google) by paying less than $10 month for MobileMe.

It may not be the choice for everyone, but it is for us.

Same with me. I have been a subscriber for more than 5 years now (I think) and quite happy with it. It's only £69/yr and everything is in one place with auto syncing and 'find my phone' feature to boot not to mention .Mac e-mail addresses.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

I dont get it.. they're releasing a "find my Phone" app... to use on your phone?? AM I missing something??

yep, you're missing something.

currently, if you are in a bar and you lose your phone, you need to go home to your computer to access "find my iphone".

under the new approach, you'll be able to turn to your friend and say "can i borrow your iphone so i can find mine?"
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I just don't get why someone would pay $70-100 per year for something that can be had for free or a fraction of that price with even better functionality.

Honestly, other than Find my iPhone, there is not one valuable feature.

Flickr, gmail, and drop box can do it all better for free or a fraction of the price.

I say this as someone who has 2 macbooks, an iPad, two iPhones, an iPod, and a Mac mini. Clearly, I'm not an apple hater.

Mobile Me feels like AOL from the early 2000s.

Hi,

I'm a MobileMe customer since 2008 and find the price easy to justify. I know that there are other services which do basically the same thing, but here are my thoughts on the MobileMe features versus some of the other players.

MM versus Flickr:

I've had a Flickr account for a couple of months to experiment with it (did this like 3 months ago). I found it pretty easy to use especially with the integration in Aperture. But the website itself is to complicated. There too many buttons and whistles. When you compare the MobileMe gallery and the Flickr gallery MobileMe is clearly the nicer one to look at. The interface is very clean. This comes in handy when guiding people trough your gallery. I don't want to guide my grandma trough a Flickr page, MobileMe is fine though.

I also found the picture quality on MobileMe to be better then Flickr, al tough that's not really fair as I only have the free version of Flickr.

MM versus Gmail:

I've used Gmail for years before I turned to MobileMe. Still do for some newsletter testing. The problem I have with Gmail is that they, like Flickr, cramp 83 thousand features into there products without knowing if anyone will use it. Not that features are a bad thing, but you have to present them in a simple and easy to use way. The other is with the interface is that there are a million things going on when you login. On every part of the page there's some information or a couple of links. When you login to MobileMe mail you get a very aesthetically pleasing interface without any unnecessary buttons or links. Sure Gmail is free to use and Google has to place some advertising, but are all the links the other stuff really necessary?

MM versus Drop Box/CloudApp:

I don't really have anything on DB or CA. They both work great (although I prefer CA) and are very easy to use. MobileMe's iDisk works great as well, although I sometimes have the feeling it's a bit slower )especially when getting the directories when first opening a iDisk window on my Mac. I''m not saying that one is better then the other, but I like to keep everything together so I'll stick with iDisk for the moment.

MM versus the police:

MobileMe offers the Find My iPhone (and iPad) feature to locate your iPhone when you lost it (maybe in a bar with german beer somewhere). I have never seen this on any other phone. As far as I know the police is the only other party that can track a phone and relocate it. So basically it's the power of the police for just 99$*!

* not really

---

I'm a happy MobileMe user and recommend it to others as well, but you should choose for yourself: free with a couple account or paid with everything in one place and a easy to use interface.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The Find My iPhone app works for searching my iPad as well and it is a Universal app so if either of the devices comes up missing you can search for it on the remaining device.

MobileMe seems to be progressing nicely. I really need a one stop shop instead of cobbling together a trio of third party solutions.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    The FindMyPhone app for the iPhone/iPad is to easily locate someone else's phone or iPad. You obviously can't use it on the same phone that is lost - cause you don't have it anymore. You can use any computer or smartphone with a web browser to locate a phone by going to MobileMe and logging in using your MM account info. The web version of FMP was a pain to use on an iPhone (and probably any other phone) because, if you pinch to zoom you'll zoom the embedded map to expand to fill the entire screen, and then you can no longer find any buttons on the screen because when you pan that view all it does it move the map around. The new iPhone version is nice and is the way it should have been from day 1.

Also, finding an earlier non-3G ipad (without GPS) or finding an iPhone that isn't receiving a GPS signal results in the system using cell tower triangulation for its location. This results in a position that can be off by more than a mile (like finding my iPhone when it's in the basement). If it has a good GPS signal, as when it's on the first floor of most buildings, it can draw its little blue circle around the specific building. Good enough to know who's house to send the SWAT team to.

Edit - meant to say that I have no idea what results you get when you're trying to locate an iPad that is not signed up for a data plan. I do have an idea actually - I would think it won't work at all. How could it? Maybe it could if it was in a wi-fi spot. Anyone know?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I have used MobileMe since iTools and have always found it useful. People talk about how difficult it is to get document onto the iPad to edit, but with iDisk syncing and the iDisk app all of your docs are right there (as long as you are online, but I feel iDisk syncing is coming to the iPhone/iPad).

With this update though I see MobileMe becoming iOS for your mac. Once they add the iTunes app and the iPhoto app to it that will cure the wireless iPhone syncing issue. This is just the ground work for that change. That is why the new app switcher feels stupid right now. It will make sense once you can buy and add apps to MobileMe just like the iPhone.

I had a feeling that Dashboard would become iOS for the Mac, but after seeing this update I really think that MobileMe is Apple's future OS for all your large screen devices. People will still need OS X for Photoshop, WoW, Final Cut, etc. but the OS for Address Books, Mail, iCal, iTunes etc. will iOS/MobileMe. Think about being at friends house with a Mac Mini connected to his TV. You log into your MobileMe (with iTunes) and watch a movie from your account.

Once the new Apple datacenter opens I have a feeling MobileMe storage will jump to 50gig and unlimited iTunes storage. Then I will be able to sync my iPhoto/Aperture library along with my iDisk and my iTunes to the cloud. Now I have offsite backup, access to everything everywhere, and wireless syncing for the iOS devices. Now does MobileMe sound worth it for 99 dollars. I think it does, I don't think this future is more than a year away.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I just don't get why someone would pay $70-100 per year for something that can be had for free or a fraction of that price with even better functionality.

Honestly, other than Find my iPhone, there is not one valuable feature.

Flickr, gmail, and drop box can do it all better for free or a fraction of the price.

I say this as someone who has 2 macbooks, an iPad, two iPhones, an iPod, and a Mac mini. Clearly, I'm not an apple hater.

Mobile Me feels like AOL from the early 2000s.

I could not agree more. My third year ends in July for good. This new version is just as slow as it has ever been. Hotmail and Gmail are both 100x faster, have more features and are Free. Heck the new Hotmail/Skydrive with 25gigs of space simply kicks the krap out of MobileMe.

This new inteface looks like romper room stuff.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyljohnson View Post

I have used MobileMe since iTools and have always found it useful. People talk about how difficult it is to get document onto the iPad to edit, but with iDisk syncing and the iDisk app all of your docs are right there (as long as you are online, but I feel iDisk syncing is coming to the iPhone/iPad).

With this update though I see MobileMe becoming iOS for your mac. Once they add the iTunes app and the iPhoto app to it that will cure the wireless iPhone syncing issue. This is just the ground work for that change. That is why the new app switcher feels stupid right now. It will make sense once you can buy and add apps to MobileMe just like the iPhone.

I had a feeling that Dashboard would become iOS for the Mac, but after seeing this update I really think that MobileMe is Apple's future OS for all your large screen devices. People will still need OS X for Photoshop, WoW, Final Cut, etc. but the OS for Address Books, Mail, iCal, iTunes etc. will iOS/MobileMe. Think about being at friends house with a Mac Mini connected to his TV. You log into your MobileMe (with iTunes) and watch a movie from your account.

Once the new Apple datacenter opens I have a feeling MobileMe storage will jump to 50gig and unlimited iTunes storage. Then I will be able to sync my iPhoto/Aperture library along with my iDisk and my iTunes to the cloud. Now I have offsite backup, access to everything everywhere, and wireless syncing for the iOS devices. Now does MobileMe sound worth it for 99 dollars. I think it does, I don't think this future is more than a year away.

If you are right and I can see this happening.....buh bye to Mac's for me. Its like they are dumbing it all down. No thanks. What will 10.7 have, a dock with big fact icons, 7 of them?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

Is this a cut-down version of the Hello World app, then? It just says: Hello?, in a sarcastic way.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyljohnson View Post

As someone who's had plenty of windows towers, doesn't mind getting into code or heavy configuration I'm looking forward to seeing the new type of computing. Call it virtualisation, SaaS or just cloud computing but I think some of the benefits may slowly offset some of the loss of control as hosted solutions increase.