Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).

I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol

Mobile me----> Remote Wipe!!!!!

10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)

So mobile me rocks!!!!!

I'm glad you resolved the issue but you should have changed your passwords right away or not let them get known. Possibly your bank cards, name and location, but that's up to you.

I use 1Password to store and create complex passwords that are unique to each site I visit and not capable to being easily memorized if seen. There is a slight inconvenience with the process but I think the added security far outweighs the risk of only having a few easily remembered passwords.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    justfinejustfine Posts: 61member
    Still no subscribed calendars appearing in MM calendar.

I'm disappointed.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

er I use them regularly. sorry... perhaps your needs are different from mine?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Everyone? I need mine quite a lot.

OK, I can do without the contacts one, but there would be complaints if it wasn't there. I can see a theoretical usage whereby if I was using the phone I could lookup address details without having to use speakerphone mode.

Calendar, well it's nice to have it open full screen without having to use the tiny iphone display when I'm at work and don;t have access to my Mac

Mail - self explanatory, given a choice I would rather use webmail then my iPhone to reply to anything that might need more than just a couple of sentences. Webmail gives me that choice. I can also create alias emails which I can't do in the iPhone client. And manage my rules.

Etc etc.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Sorry for the double post, but I had to come back to this.

What a dumb post. Possibly the dumbest I've seen in a long while.

Let's rearrange it just to see how dumb it is. Let say we are talking about Gmail. We can all get our Gmail, google calendars and contacts lists on our desktops, and on our phones using push and/or exchange etc just like with MobileMe.

So what on earth are the Gmail/Calendar/Contacts web sites for? Surely there is zero need for them. No?

No.

Dumb.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    This was really needed! As most of apple's software is agregiously buggy and virus prone.

HOWEVER,

MobileMe is far from what the average MSN user consider tollerable!
  • Reply 28 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, I know. Just the other day I used it to see which Johns my wife was with. It's invaluable in tracking/preventing her prostitution. Plus, I can keep tabs on her, Sleeping With The Enemy-style! Ahhh...the summertime. I come home, burn the sheets, and smell her dinner of new potatoes and pot roast. Then I smack her around and get her some flowers to apologize for our "quarrel."

Isn't technology great?

I'd ignore this reply to my serious post normally but as you have logged over 11,000 posts I have to wonder was your post humor, sarcasm or what?

If you are inferring it was some breach of privacy on my part, I assure you I had to have my wife's permission to track her, it made her feel better knowing I was. I even sent her screen shots of where she was on the map at times (she isn't into using Google maps on her iPhone).

I am sure the new software will have some permission based system. In the case of kids I'd want to track them permission or not in this day and age. I can see this from Apple and other manufacturers saving lives soon if it hasn't already.

I hope it was humor on your part and you forgot the smile.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm glad you resolved the issue but you should have changed your passwords right away or not let them get known. Possibly your bank cards, name and location, but that's up to you.

I use 1Password to store and create complex passwords that are unique to each site I visit and not capable to being easily memorized if seen. There is a slight inconvenience with the process but I think the added security far outweighs the risk of only having a few easily remembered passwords.

It is becoming a nightmare isn't it. I tried 1Password but found it too confusing for my befuddled brain. I have resorted to a text file of all my passes which I keep encrypted and stored on a cloud. I'd welcome a retina scan and thumb print scan on my Mac ... both incase someone cuts my thumb off to get at my Mac. Oh wait a minute ..
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is becoming a nightmare isn't it. I tried 1Password but found it too confusing for my befuddled brain. I have resorted to a text file of all my passes which I keep encrypted and stored on a cloud. I'd welcome a retina scan and thumb print scan on my Mac ... both incase someone cuts my thumb off to get at my Mac. Oh wait a minute ..

That's fine, too, especially since you keep it encrypted. Keychain Access is also stored as an encrypted file and offers a password generator, in case one isn't aware. What do you use to keep the file encrypted?

I agree that 1Password can be confusing and the app itself does have some wonky aspects to it. I've tried it a couple times before it finally clicked that I need and love this app. Once you get the hang of it it really does make things easier and more secure. Your method, which I used to use, makes things more secure but doesn't have the added measure of making it easier to add the username and password to a website. Luckily, the time I was using the demo again fell within the time Daring Fireball was sponsored by them and was able to get half off.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I'd ignore this reply to my serious post normally but as you have logged over 11,000 posts I have to wonder was your post humor, sarcasm or what?

If you are inferring it was some breach of privacy on my part, I assure you I had to have my wife's permission to track her, it made her feel better knowing I was. I even sent her screen shots of where she was on the map at times (she isn't into using Google maps on her iPhone).

I am sure the new software will have some permission based system. In the case of kids I'd want to track them permission or not in this day and age. I can see this from Apple and other manufacturers saving lives soon if it hasn't already.

I hope it was humor on your part and you forgot the smile.

Dude...you had to ask? Yes, it's humor.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.

If they advertised that it could be used to track folks, the privacy folks would be screaming foul.

So they only mention 'if you lose your iDevice' and let the shady shadies think up the rest.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Everyone? I need mine quite a lot.

OK, I can do without the contacts one, but there would be complaints if it wasn't there. I can see a theoretical usage whereby if I was using the phone I could lookup address details without having to use speakerphone mode.

Calendar, well it's nice to have it open full screen without having to use the tiny iphone display when I'm at work and don;t have access to my Mac

Mail - self explanatory, given a choice I would rather use webmail then my iPhone to reply to anything that might need more than just a couple of sentences. Webmail gives me that choice. I can also create alias emails which I can't do in the iPhone client. And manage my rules.

Etc etc.

I actually use them quite a bit too. The two way syncing OTA with calendar/contacts is much better than Google sync. I also host a personal website from it, which with a low end host can cost around $83/year.

Just pay for a renewal through eBay or amazon and it is much more palatable.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Sorry for the double post, but I had to come back to this.

What a dumb post. Possibly the dumbest I've seen in a long while.

You think you're the majority, but you're the minority. Google doesn't do native apps like Apple does, Google doesn't sell computer hardware and don't have a PC operating system.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I really do wonder why there are now two clicks to switch applications. I doesn't make sense and is absolutely un-Apple like. However, I do suspect that they add more icons with the functionality of the 'cloud' icon? Such as e.g. an iWorks button, and then you can switch between iWorks apps? Would make sense then. Maybe iWorks would then be in the 'paid' package, if part of me.com really becomes free at some point.

And I want to add: I do happily pay for a service with a decent interface and zero ads! Why the heck to people think everything on the web needs to be free? If there is a good and ad-free application, it does cost money.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday debuted its new interface for the MobileMe subscription service, sporting a new look for its me.com e-mail and adding a Find My iPhone application for tracking a lost handset on iOS devices....

Wow, this is not only not impressive it's got some serious bugs.

I just tried it on my iPhone 3Gs, while sitting in my office with the 3Gs in my hand and my iPad on the desk in front of me. It failed to find the iPhone 3Gs in my hand or the iPad on the desk, but it *did* find my iPhone 3G (it says), even though my 3G is turned off and in a box in a closet back at home.

What's worse, is the location it gives for my old 3G that it "found" is actually the location of my partner's phone in another town! Now that phone is a 3Gs not a 3G and is not even on my MobileMe account (they have their own completely separate account paid for with a different Visa, different name etc.).

So the MobileMe service not only failed to find my gear, it inadvertently gave me information on someone else's phone, mixing it up with my phone which is a different model on a different account. That's an astounding failure and a security breach as well.

How could anyone trust this feature if it can do that?
  • Reply 37 of 63
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BallmerSteve View Post

This was really needed! As most of apple's software is agregiously buggy and virus prone.

HOWEVER,

MobileMe is far from what the average MSN user consider tollerable!

Steve-o, the word you are attempting to harm yourself with is egregious, as in:

egregious

adj

1. outstandingly bad; flagrant an egregious lie

2. Archaic distinguished; eminent

[from Latin ēgregius outstanding (literally: standing out from the herd), from ē- out + grex flock, herd]

the rest is just incomprehensible troll-speak and not worth correcting.

• Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

I can understand stuffe's position even though I don't care for the way he stated it.

I have used every single one of those web-apps at times. With the advent of the iPhone this really hasn't been needed as I get all these things on my iPhone which is almost always on me.

There may be some people at work who use it to connect with their Mac's info at home or some people simply don't like the native apps for Windows and Mac OS for Mail, Calendar and Contacts. These web apps might only be used by the minority but I am sure they are used, even if just a last resort option by most.

By saying they have "zero" need you make it an absolute which is absolutely untrue because, I, a MobileMe user do have a need for the web apps.

Furthermore, i'd like them to re-add the Bookmarks option to MobileMe. This is what I most often want to use when I access some foreign computer and wish to bring up a saved website. I'd rather log in to MobileMe to access it then have to type the address in manually by looking at my iPhone or having to Google search keywords until I find the correct site.

They could even use a nifty windowed aspect for sites with an Address Bar and Bookmarks Bar at the top to mimic the look and feel of Safari. If you were to go into Full Screen mode, as most browsers have, it could look almost identical to Safari with little effort.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    So, the find my iPhone feature is great and all, but I'm so obsessed with my iPhone that I never misplace it so I don't end up using it much. Now if Apple were to release "Find My Wallet" or "Find My Keys" I could see getting a lot of use out of that!

Joking aside, does anyone else find it bizarre that Apple has released a widescreen mail layout for MobileMe before offering it in Mail.app? Letterbox is great, but it would be better if it was a built-in feature.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

You can, go try it again but properly this time.

touche, the switch view, you have to hand it to me however that it's not the easiest thing to find. Btw I didn't try in the first place.