Apple selling 1.2 million iPads per month, rate could double by holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Oh, really? Producing maybe, but not shipping as in 'shipping to customers'.

No, shipping to customers.

I ordered a base model wi-fi on June 3rd and it is just arriving today; it did not ship from China until yesterday.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckylindy View Post

Why are there no American companies able to male these displays at a comparable price? Looks like an awful lot of business coming their way...can't believe we can't be competitive. Is it solely the low wage/hour in these other countries? That is going to end in 20 years or so when their living standards begin to approach more Western levels. Who will build electronics THEN? Monkeys? Dogs? Mr. Asimov's robots?

What do you mean? South Korea has a standard of living close to the USA. I expect that we don't build these things here because we don't have the right workforce for it. Our strengths are in other areas.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    I love my iPad. If you think about it, the majority of average consumers use computers for mainly email and internet. Apple was able to see that niche - and filled it brilliantly.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckylindy View Post

Why are there no American companies able to male these displays at a comparable price? Looks like an awful lot of business coming their way...can't believe we can't be competitive. Is it solely the low wage/hour in these other countries? That is going to end in 20 years or so when their living standards begin to approach more Western levels. Who will build electronics THEN? Monkeys? Dogs? Mr. Asimov's robots?

I've often wondered what economists think about your question. Eventually we will run out of cheap labor forces. Japan was the source after WW II. Now it's China for electronics anyway. Look at your clothing. I see stuff from all over the third world, like Vietnam, Honduras, Bangladesh, etc. Nothing from the middle east though, like Iraq, Iran, Jordan, etc. Maybe when the oil wells run dry they will be the next source. I don't know but it would seem that Asimov's humanoid robots might be down the road a ways. Money needs to move around in a successful economy and robots don't need money.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Just shows customers don't care if they purchase a semi-obsolete (retina? 512MB? cameras?) product.

Ah, another spew from the "only specs count" crowd.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

If you have two gas stations and your competitor raises their gas rates you'd think that you would be better off keeping your lower prices, but the problem is that with interchangeable products it doesn't always work because people choose where they buy items not just on price.

You contradict yourself. If products are 'interchangeable', meaning one just works exactly as well as the other, then buyers will just go with the lower priced one. If two competing products sell at different prices, then the inescapable inference is that they are NOT interchangeable: someone is willing to pay more for one over the other. That means his choice is based on more than just price.

Or did you really mean 'non-interchangeable' when you wrote 'interchangeale'?

Also, it's extremely rare for a price increase in one product causes a competing product to lose sales.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I thought my prediction of 10 million sold in calendar year 2010 was aggressive (and all my friends laughed at me for it), but I never thought that they may hit it before the holiday buying season even begins!
  • Reply 28 of 60
    "Just wait until the Android tablets hit the stores in... err, well, whenever they do" , said the troll in the most offended tone of voice he could muster. "Then the iPad will die just like the iPhone did...err, I mean, will."
  • Reply 29 of 60
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You contradict yourself. If products are 'interchangeable', meaning one just works exactly as well as the other, then buyers will just go with the lower priced one. If two competing products sell at different prices, then the inescapable inference is that they are NOT interchangeable: someone is willing to pay more for one over the other. That means his choice is based on more than just price.

I think his argument was precisely that choices are based on factors other than price, not because the items are not interchangeable, but for a whole raft of other reasons. One of the problems with most economic theory is that it takes as one of its premises that people behave rationally and make economic choices based on economic factors. IRL, nothing could actually be further from the truth.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

The problem with doubling sales is twofold.

Pun much?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I've often wondered what economists think about your question. Eventually we will run out of cheap labor forces. Japan was the source after WW II. Now it's China for electronics anyway. Look at your clothing. I see stuff from all over the third world, like Vietnam, Honduras, Bangladesh, etc. Nothing from the middle east though, like Iraq, Iran, Jordan, etc. Maybe when the oil wells run dry they will be the next source. I don't know but it would seem that Asimov's humanoid robots might be down the road a ways. Money needs to move around in a successful economy and robots don't need money.

If things track cyclically (like they inevitably do) China will have replaced the US as a consuming nation and the US can gracefully decline to the point where they will start shipping all the cheap labor jobs back here. We can then get those hicks off the farms in the "fly-over zone" and into factories and out of poverty. All it will take is a major collapse of the US economy - we've dodged the bullet a couple of times, but it is inevitable (and I'm an optimist!). So just wait a few decades or so with the large majority of our workforce retiring at increasing rates, huge demand placed on Social Security, all it will take is the right President and the right Congress to crash the economy beyond rescue. Unfortunately it will hit most other economies as well, unless China is able to insulate itself.

In the meantime, the iPad seems to be well-enough equiped and configured to satisfy a whole-lotta consumers. So 512MB, front-facing cam and so on are geek targets. When Apple finally decides they have a good reason to do those - they will. So for now, "buy or buy not - there is no maybe buy."

"Features matter not. Look at iPhone. Judge iPhone by features, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For its ally is the App Store, and a powerful ally it is. Apple creates it, makes it grow. Its devs surround us and bind us. Luminous fun are apps, not this crude hardware. You must feel the App Store around you; here, between you, me, the iPad, the iPod Touch, everywhere, yes. Even between the wifi and the 3G."

• Reply 32 of 60
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

What makes you think they'd be producing more than they sell?

The report listed shipping numbers for February and March, no iPads were shipped to customers in February and March since it went on sale 1 April.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Forrester: iPad Sales Will Plummet

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...A+Apple+2.0%29

People actually pay these clowns for such "research"?
  • Reply 34 of 60
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

No, shipping to customers.

I ordered a base model wi-fi on June 3rd and it is just arriving today; it did not ship from China until yesterday.

How many iPads were shipped to customers in February? None, it did not went on sale before 1 April. But the report said 300000 were shipped in February.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Forrester: iPad Sales Will Plummet

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...A+Apple+2.0%29

People actually pay these clowns for such "research"?

Yeah, well, all they are doing is extrapolating current numbers, and given that tablet numbers weren't high when they probably grabbed them, it's not surprising that they are way off reality. I also think their trending of laptops/desktops is all wrong and that they are actually more likely to swap market shares. Netbooks will probably crash and burn though: a lot of people will be more than adequately served by tablet computers, both iPad and others and their only attraction will be the illusion of a "full" computer at minimal cost.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

How many iPads were shipped to customers in February? None, it did not went on sale before 1 April. But the report said 300000 were shipped in February.

If you click on the link at the bottom of the forum story, you'll find the original article says this:

The Cupertino-based company is now producing 1.2 million iPads each month, up from 800,000-900,000 units in May, 700,000 units in April, 470,000 units in March, and 300,000 in February.

Somehow the word "shipping" got transposed for "producing." Maybe Kasper's Automated Slave has a mind of it's own?
  • Reply 37 of 60
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    It's funny how yet another iPad success article got hijacked and transposed into a spec critique and why it will not be successful. From the haters perspective, it's a good strategy. Change the subject.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

What do you mean? South Korea has a standard of living close to the USA. I expect that we don't build these things here because we don't have the right workforce for it. Our strengths are in other areas.

Having lived in both countries, South Korea does not have a standard of living close to the USA. They live in small densely populated tower blocks, drive crappy cars and get very little time away from work to spend with their family.

However, they are inefficient. Working in the factories I have, there are far more people working in a Korean factory than the US equivalent - US productivity is way higher, which negates the fact that Korean wages are lower.

The thing that really makes the difference though, is that the Korean government values and offers incentives to build job creating manufacturing sites. The US government (along with my home government in the UK) values the financial and service sectors, and have given little help and support to manufacturing for years.

I'm no expert in these matters, but as I look back over the past couple of hundred years, the rise and fall of countries seems to be connected to how much they allow engineers to be in charge. The UK became a world power through the industrial revolution, mostly because engineers were allowed to take on huge challenges, pretty much regardless of cost. Around the inter-war period, accountants (who tend to be short-termist) were put in charge and the UK started it's long and slippery slide. The same now seems to be true. From the 40's onwards, America engineered it's way to the top, but now accountants run the show and America is sliding. China conversely is putting huge resources into engineering.........
  • Reply 39 of 60
    I don't see how a crappy over sized iPod can sell that well but I guess there's a market for everything out there........
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm no expert in these matters, but as I look back over the past couple of hundred years, the rise and fall of countries seems to be connected to how much they allow engineers to be in charge. The UK became a world power through the industrial revolution, mostly because engineers were allowed to take on huge challenges, pretty much regardless of cost. Around the inter-war period, accountants (who tend to be short-termist) were put in charge and the UK started it's long and slippery slide. The same now seems to be true. From the 40's onwards, America engineered it's way to the top, but now accountants run the show and America is sliding. China conversely is putting huge resources into engineering.........

Yes, accountants should never be allowed to run anything. Unfortunately, the US has lost its will to be great. Now, as a nation, we're all just conceited, selfish, want everything for nothing, and somehow believe that we can get it.