Photo, video quality of Apple's iPhone 4 demonstrated in Prague

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An iPhone 4 obtained early by a user in the Czech Republic has allowed a look at the photo and video recording quality of Apple's latest handset, prior to its public release.

A reader of Jablickar.cz offered the hands-on impressions and details, including photos and video recorded with the 5 megapixel lens on iPhone 4. The user, named Swenak, said the phone is fast and responsive, and its thinner and flat design makes it a better fit in a pocket.

The tipster said the new glass front and back prevented scratches, though they guessed that the stainless steel perimeter of the device could become scuffed up over time. The report also noted that the device received a GPS signal in a "surprisingly quick" fashion, obtaining a lock "almost immediately."

The site also noted that the phone was given heavy use for about an hour, playing games, surfing the Web, watching videos on YouTube and accessing Google Maps. During that time, the battery fell by just 10 percent.

The latest apparent leak is not the first early look at Apple's latest iPhone, as two other high-profile reveals showed off prototype version of iPhone 4 before the handset was officially announced. The preview in Prague does, however, represent the first time the handset was demonstrated in working fashion in public, outside of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. The previously obtained prototypes were non-functional when they were handled in the wild.

The iPhone 4 includes a whole-new camera system that includes LED flash with a 5 megapixel lens that records HD video. The new rear camera will record 720p video at 30 frames per second. Users can also conduct video editing via the $4.99 iMovie app to trim their HD clips right on the phone.

Analyst Yair Reiner with Oppenheimer said earlier this month that suppliers informed him the new camera module in iPhone 4 is "orders of magnitude more sophisticated than anything previously attempted in a smartphone."

Photos taken with iPhone 4 are included below, while the video sample is available in the original report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    These are truly stunning!
  • Reply 2 of 80
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Those pictures are nicer than many of the ones taken with some of my friends' SLRs! This is really terrific.

Now if only the Touch could get this...
  • Reply 3 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Those pictures are nicer than many of the ones taken with some of my friends' SLRs! This is really terrific.

While my iPhone 4 won't replace my SLR - or even my dedicated digital camera, these pictures are truly amazing - far better than any smart phones I've ever seen, even from phones with more MP (so much for the 'My phone has 8 MP and yours only has 5' whining). For a change, I'll be able to pull out my phone and take a good picture rather than something that's quick, but not very good.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just like in 2007, phone manufacturers have been sent scrambling... What a shame - dictating and leading the pack with only 3 years under her belt - way to go Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    having a newborn, i'm very excited about ALWAYS having a decent camera and 720 video with me.

when the first iPhone was released i posted in a forum where everyone was mocking the LACK of features. i sarcastically wrote: i can't edit high def video or even run photoshop on the thing!

three years later: check and check.

so now what's missing for wishlist features?

all i can think of is LTE and more capacity, both of which are on their way.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    I'm definitely throwing out my digital camera after I get my iPhone 4. (Fuji 10MP point-and-shoot, great camera, hassle to carry around in my pocket in addition to phone)
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Those pictures look discolored . Video , too.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anyone have a YouTube link for the video?
  • Reply 9 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Now if only the Touch could get this...

See, I was thinking they don't look that impressive but perhaps it's the lighting the shrinking of the original image.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

See, I was thinking they don't look that impressive but perhaps it's the lighting the shrinking of the original image.

Depends on what you're comparing it to.

Compared to my dSLR, it's not very impressive. But compared to my iPhone 3G or any of the other cell phones I've seen, it's VERY nice.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Anyone have a YouTube link for the video?

Just put it on YouTube. Here is the link.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.Betruger View Post

Those pictures look discolored . Video , too.

Not a very good first post from a new troll. But at least I get to add you to my ignore list now instead of later. Bye.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

having a newborn, i'm very excited about ALWAYS having a decent camera and 720 video with me.

Don't be too excited - you also have to organise all your pictures/movies, AND give your kid some attention ...
  • Reply 14 of 80
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member
    Is everyone looking at the same photos as me?

They're certainly decent for a phone but it's pushing it to say they look anything like the snaps from an SLR. They still have that washed-out look you always get from phone cameras.

I'd like to see some pictures in lower light to make a proper judgement of the camera's quality.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    awesome quality! in the sunlight no less!
  • Reply 16 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.Betruger View Post

Just put it on YouTube. Here is the link.

Thanks. I was DLing to add to YT but it was at a crawl. was going to take 30 minutes for that 12MB file.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not a very good first post from a new troll. But at least I get to add you to my ignore list now instead of later. Bye.

I understand that a 1st time poster making a negative comment does sound the alarms, but I don't think he's in any way trolling. In his defense, he didn't blast the iPhone itself or its users, and was specific in his reasoning without using hyperbole. I agree with him that the pics look discolored, and just a bit out of focus. He also posted the video to YouTube which is not something a troll tends to do; you're hard pressed to get a relevant link from troll.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I would also like to see some low-light shots to get a sense of how versatile this camera is -- my 3G takes lovely pictures in broad daylight!
  • Reply 18 of 80
    I agree it looks better than any other cell phone i've ever seen, but still it has that like, painting look when you see the images full size. and that bugs me. Although i guess that tends to happen more with the foliage shots (the rocks look better)

but with the video, it barely took any motion to start blurring things. but maybe that's just the dudes hand or something.

either way, I'll be super excited to finally get one. It'll be nice finally having a decent camera that's always with me, on top of a video camera and mp3/video player.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member
    Here's a pic taken from my 3GS in similar conditions, is the difference really as much as they are making out?

(original pic

• Reply 20 of 80
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    They remind me of what my LG Dare (which has a Schneider-Kreuznach lens) or Pre Plus (uses DxO image processing to automatically adjust the image) can do; good, but no where near a dSLR folks.