Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

1131415161719»

Comments

• Reply 361 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

What do you mean if i have a Win7 install disc im set? What about needing the key? (And are you saying i am set if i use any dual boot program, or just visual box?)

I don't know about Windows keys. But Mac OS X has Boot Camp (dual boot) built-in, you just have to run it and install Windows with it. VirtualBox lets you install Windows (any version) and run it while you're in Mac OS X without rebooting. It works well.

Personally, stick with Mac OS X and run Windows ONLY as a last resort. There are plenty of applications that can read/write Windows file formats. I've never felt a need (or desire) to run Windows for any reason, even file compatibility.

[QUOTE=M3rc Nate;1620068I guess thats true for the 5-9% increase being useful if you use those programs. I do plan on (like i said i think) using photoshop and video/music editing programs, so its nice that the 180$ more price of i7 will be more than just being able to say i have i7..i l actually be utilizing that 5-9% performance.

Yeah i am 100% sure on getting 7200rpm drive (500 gig). I am 99% sure on 8 gigs, only hesitation on the fact that in 2 years a upgrade from 4-to-8 (8 being 3rd party) will be MUCH cheaper. But i might just bite the bullet and get the 8 gigs at purchase.

Plan is for (education discount): MBP 17", Intel i7, 500 gig (7200rpm), hi res glossy, 4 or 8 gigs[/QUOTE]

Photoshop and music/video editing certainly need as much horsepower as you can toss at them.

Apple's RAM prices aren't bad these day, plus you can get it covered under AppleCare (YES, buy it for a laptop!) and you don't have to try and sell, give away or toss the RAM you replace when doing your own RAM upgrade. (I have a drawer full of old RAM that I though I MIGHT need someday. Hah!)
  • Reply 362 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Edit: By the way, if i was to dual boot, does everyone recommend just using Bootcamp which comes with MBP? I notice some use something else, whats wrong with bootcamp?

For more info see this post.
  • Reply 363 of 366
    Thanks, yeah i'll have to look into further which is the best virtualization program to use along with using bootcamp. But i probably wont buy windows 7 for my MBP for a while.

Saw this, sucks considering i was hoping my first jump into MBP's would be a non lethal one to the lap, but oh well.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/c...sius-your-lap/
  • Reply 364 of 366
    Admittedly I don't know very much about computers and yet I want to buy a macbook pro.

I'm considering the two 13 inch models, but I was wondering if someone could explain how much of a difference it is between a 250GB serial ATA hard drive and a 320GB drive.

Is the difference worth the extra 200 bones?

much appreciated
  • Reply 365 of 366
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bgeffen View Post

Admittedly I don't know very much about computers and yet I want to buy a macbook pro.

I'm considering the two 13 inch models, but I was wondering if someone could explain how much of a difference it is between a 250GB serial ATA hard drive and a 320GB drive.

Is the difference worth the extra 200 bones?

much appreciated

When I purchase notebooks these days, I just purchased the new 13" MPB like you are looking at, I just get the cheapest one with max'd ram. In this case, I decided to go with the basic ram configuration because I have not needed more than 2 GB on 13" in a long time. It is a travel companion and not a workstation. So manage your expectations on what you are going to use it for and then decided.
  • Reply 366 of 366
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    I just bought the 15 i7 and it's all set up now. I got the 8 gigs of ram since Apple -finally- got realistic about their ram prices, and this model is a total winner.