What to buy: Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the market to buy a new Mac and I'm not sure which one I want. I currently have a Macbook that's running on Tiger 10.4 (yuck). I'd just like to know some of the pros and cons of both models. I'm not very educated on the mechanics of these wonderful machines, so if ya'll could dumb it down just a little it'd be appreciated. P.S. I don't do much video editing, gaming, or graphic design, though I might be doing the latter here pretty soon. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lexlex View Post

I'm in the market to buy a new Mac and I'm not sure which one I want. I currently have a Macbook that's running on Tiger 10.4 (yuck). I'd just like to know some of the pros and cons of both models. I'm not very educated on the mechanics of these wonderful machines, so if ya'll could dumb it down just a little it'd be appreciated. P.S. I don't do much video editing, gaming, or graphic design, though I might be doing the latter here pretty soon. Thanks in advance!

Get MacTracker, a free program and find out what machine you have. With that info MacTracker cal tell you what version of OS X you can update too.

Perhaps just a OS X update to Leopard or Snow Leopard will do for you, without needing a new machine.

But if you do, the only MacBook now is that toilet ceramic white one, and the case cracks easily.

The new MacBook Pro 13" is using last generation processors, can't handle the newer ones because of the heat and smaller size. Has a metal case which is more resistant.

Both only come with annoying glossy screens that reflect everything behind you, your face etc which blocks the viewing image.

The new 15" and 17" MacBook Pro has a choice of glossy or anti-glare screens and has the newer processors.

More powerful processors means more time between hardware upgrades.

If your budget is low, you might be tempted by the iPad, unfortunately it's not a good value for the money, it lacks significant storage and it's dependent upon another computer (recent iTunes and OS X if a Mac) and the touch screen keyboard sucks for typing. So one will wind up buying more hardware to get decent use out of the thing.

If your in the sub $1000 range for a basic laptop that can surf, email, Open Office, manage music etc, look at a Ubuntu Linux laptop from Dell or others. It's very close to OS X in operation, runs the popular Firefox browser (can install Flash) is more secure that OS X and Safari. It has a like iTunes music manager that supposedly can access iPods (I haven't tried it since I'm already in iTunes) plus the music is less expensive from their music store than at iTMS. Has a photo manager, tons of free software etc. Plus tons more storage space has the laptop has a hard drive, not expensive flash memory.

I have been running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx for a few months now and it's a pretty decent OS. You can do what you like to how it looks as well. Make it look like OS X or Windows XP even.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lexlex View Post

Get the MacBook Pro 13". The build design has several advantages over the MacBook and the price difference is not much. If you find the glossiness to much to bear, get an antiglare screen protector for your MacBook Pro and that should improve things, I like my antiglare.

If you have the cash, go for the MacBook Pro 15" with custom-built antiglare screen (you don't need to put a antiglare screen protector this way), this will be quite enjoyable.

Enjoy and good luck.