Apple begins shipping early iPhone 4 orders

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first batch of iPhone 4 deliveries are now in transit from China, with Apple sending FedEx notifications indicating a June 24 delivery date.

Last friday, Apple began marking orders as "prepared for shipment," but now a variety of readers have reported getting iPhone 4 shipment notifications from Apple.

Most of the reports indicate a "delivers by" date of June 24, the same day retail store sales begin, although some have said their shipment notifications state a ship by date of June 23.

FedEx estimates an arrival time on the delivery date "by 4:30 PM." Apple may request shippers to send items in advance but then hold them for delivery until the launch date, but some readers were shipped iPads a day or two ahead of the planned ship date.

Tracking information shows the devices are shipping directly from Lantau Island, Hong Kong, the FedEx shipping site at Hong Kong International Airport.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    I can't wait for the iPhone 4 to ship, have it's tear down (part infinity), review, user comments....

then maybe Apple can focus on actual computers like the iMac and Mac Pro, which look like the proverbial evolutionary dead end.

What happened to you Apple? You used to be someone I could trust.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I can't wait for the iPhone 4 to ship, have it's tear down (part infinity), review, user comments....

then maybe Apple can focus on actual computers like the iMac and Mac Pro, which look like the proverbial evolutionary dead end.

What happened to you Apple? You used to be someone I could trust.

huh? there's nothing that sucks in the latest i5/i7 imac. Best desktop / screen available. Not getting this comment at all.

But that's off topic.

I'm hoping they don't cancel my reserved phone! lol.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

huh? there's nothing that sucks in the latest i5/i7 imac. Best desktop / screen available. Not getting this comment at all.

I'm lamenting the loss of Apple's focus solely on computers. And I'm selfishly taking it out on a thread relating to the iPhone, the newest 20-something blonde on the block.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

I'm lamenting the loss of Apple's focus solely on computers. And I'm selfishly taking it out on a thread relating to the iPhone, the newest 20-something blonde on the block.

Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Interesting that Apple is tracking individual iPhones (and other products) all the way from China. I guess it must be faster, cheaper, and maybe also more secure to initiate the tracking process there instead of shipping bulk freight and then FedEx-ing from warehouses in the U.S.

Of course, items to be sold in the brick and mortar Apple Stores are probably still shipped in bulk, possibly by sea instead of air. Slower but much cheaper, I'm guessing.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The one from Apple has shipped and is stating a Thursday delivery whilst the one from AT&T still shows 'In Progress". Both have had the funds withdrawn from my account.

Quote:

You're lamenting that evolution and technical progress of technology? \ Apple sells as many Macs in a quarter than it did in a year just 4 years ago, the current Mac line up is the best they've ever produced.

Companies do what you are doing which is often why they end failing. You think of Apple as a computer company not as a consumer electronics or electronics company. They tried being a "computer company" and they almost went under. Most 'oil companies' do this, too. They should see themselves as energy companies and use their untold billions in profit to secure their future with the next generation of supplying energy to the world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Interesting that Apple is tracking individual iPhones (and other products) all the way from China. I guess it must be faster, cheaper, and maybe also more secure to initiate the tracking process there instead of shipping bulk freight and then FedEx-ing from warehouses in the U.S.

Of course, items to be sold in the brick and mortar Apple Stores are probably still shipped in bulk, possibly by sea instead of air. Slower but much cheaper, I'm guessing.

I would think by now they can scan an item once for a crate which then gets scanned in for a shipping container or whatever and have all the items auto populate from the single larger scan. if not, they should do it.

I also have an idea for delivery system ? which already sends the delivered data to their servers and very quickly make that available to users on web ? to recompile the delivery time window every time the driver makes a delivery so you can better judge the time for the delivery. To me, this seems like it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive and if users knew right when their package was to be delivered the driver would be able to save time on a few stops per day saving time in the long run, especially with all of us waiting anxiously for our iPhones.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're lamenting that evolution and technical progress of technology? \ Apple sells as many Macs in a quarter than it did in a year just 4 years ago, the current Mac line up is the best they've ever produced.

You're forgetting the Mac Pro.. you work for Apple?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Companies do what you are doing which is often why they end failing. You think of Apple as a computer company not as a consumer electronics or electronics company. They tried being a "computer company" and they almost went under.

This is all 100% true. I recognize and understand Apple's business model.

I was lamenting, romanticizing the past. Guess that doesn't translate into text very well.

All excellent points solipsism. Now let me fantasize about BD, Final Cut, and Mr Jobs leading the industry by introducing Light Peak in January 2011... lol
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

You're forgetting the Mac Pro.. you work for Apple?

This is all 100% true. I recognize and understand Apple's business model.

I was lamenting, romanticizing the past. Guess that doesn't translate into text very well.

All excellent points solipsism. Now let me fantasize about BD, Final Cut, and Mr Jobs leading the industry by introducing Light Peak in January 2011... lol

Lamenting the loss of focus on Pro Macs and software I'll give you.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    i got an email from Apple that mines has shipped and will be delivered by FedEx on the 23.

I can't wait!
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Im praying that my AT&T pre-order is updated tomorrow to shipped status.... I also got one reserved at the apple store on release day.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    On a related topic...

Anybody know if or where there is current / updated information on the world wide shipping schedules?

(18 countries July; 24 in Aug; 40 in Sept)

Edit: Also, anyone know if orders are on schedule for the other countries scheduled for June 24 along with the U.S.?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

I think it says something that they released the mac mini with no fanfare. I don't know for sure what it says, but it's odd.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    So what are Apple's plans for all the old iPhones? Are they encouraging people to recycle them? Resell them? Put them in a closet? With 600,000 iPhone 4's already pre-ordered, that's a lot of new electronic waste in the next week. Unfortunately, used/eBay/Craigslist selling market is going to be saturated like no other. Great time for someone on AT&T to pick up a cheap 3GS off-contract or 3G. Only to be replaced by the iPhone WiMax/CDMA/3G/LTE/4G in 12 months with customizable ICONS!
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I think it says something that they released the mac mini with no fanfare. I don't know for sure what it says, but it's odd.

That is an interesting point. They've events for products that have barely changed and this drastic remodel with an excessively engineered case gets nothing. I have to think this basic case design will arty over to other products shortly. Like the AEBS, Time Capsule, AppleTV Extreme and Apple Home Server.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Can anyone that ordered through ATT confirm that their credit card has been charged? I still show "In Progress" as my order status and no charge on my card.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Can anyone that ordered through ATT confirm that their credit card has been charged? I still show "In Progress" as my order status and no charge on my card.

Unfortunately, no. I also ordered from ATT and it still says in progress with no charge. I'm assuming that this will change tomorrow. I'm having it shipped to the store so... Let's hope I'm not slain by the mobs
  • Reply 17 of 59
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Your poor, poor souls...stuck on AT&T for another 2 years!
  • Reply 18 of 59
    drewmdrewm Posts: 4member
    Anyone know if FedEx will allow the receiver to hold the package at the local station before the first delivery? I won't be home on Thursday...
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Your poor, poor souls...stuck on AT&T for another 2 years!

It's true.. But maybe they'll get their superfast network up by christmas... I hope... I don't like long contracts at all. But I've been an iphone owner since the 2G and haven't upgraded since then haha so I'm dying for this new phone enough to put up with them \
  • Reply 20 of 59
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

then maybe Apple can focus on actual computers like the ...Mac Pro...What happened to you Apple? You used to be someone I could trust.

I second that. We've been waiting for an updated Mac Pro for about a half a year now. This thing hasn't received a major update in 474 days.

I know all of the iCrap is paying the bills now Apple, but please don't forget your professional users.