Help! Mac mini or Mac mini Server?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple announced New Mac mini on the 15th so far I found Mac mini at

MacConnection has it for $679.99 and

http://tiny.cc/2yw1r

They have the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server for $959.99

http://tiny.cc/e60fh

Amazon has Mac mini for $669.99! Cool I have Amazon Prime that has 2-Day Shipping Free or Next Day Delivery for $3.99!

http://amzn.to/bxgbac

Amazon has Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server for $974.99 I really want this one!

http://amzn.to/aCGJ5C

So which one of these would you choose?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gostangostan Posts: 15member
    Do you need a stand alone computer or a server?

If it is the former, you will likely be a lot better off with a simple Mac Mini?

Best of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    You don' t want the server version of Os X. Go with the regular mini.

You might take the money you saved and buy 4GB of ram from eshop.macsales.com
  • Reply 3 of 9
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Wow Mac mini has a SDXC Card Slot!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

You don' t want the server version of Os X. Go with the regular mini.

What are your reasons for going with the regular Mini over the Server? It appears to me that the server is more bang for the buck.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What are your reasons for going with the regular Mini over the Server? It appears to me that the server is more bang for the buck.

I already know. I sold my 2009 Mac mini this past November. I rather go with the $974.99 Mac mini Server from from Amazon. I still got my Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Remote. I'm just stuck on that Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server Unlimited License!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I already know. I sold my 2009 Mac mini this past November. I rather go with the $974.99 Mac mini Server from from Amazon. I still got my Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Remote. I'm just stuck on that Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server Unlimited License!

The picture that Amazon has of the Mini Server has an optical drive slot.

I would still like to know your reasoning for getting the Server over the Mini or vise versa. Is it JUST for the Server software?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Amazon has Mac mini for $669.99!

Wth is going on with the UK pricing on these?

$669 = £450, then add tax = £530

even Apple's pricing:

$699 = £470, adding tax = £550

Amazon.co.uk charge £530 for the old one and Apple charge £650 for the new one. Tax doesn't always get factored into these things but I've done that and this model is £100 over what it should be. In the worst case, it should be £599.

Quote:

So which one of these would you choose?

The server models are good because they have 7200RPM drives so you will see 25% speed boost loading things over the consumer model. Snow Leopard server is not the same OS as Snow Leopard though so you'll need to get a bootable OS from somewhere to run it as a desktop machine.

I'd get the $669 model and attempt a drive upgrade to a 500GB 7200RPM and add 4GB RAM. I don't know why Apple didn't give the lowest end a 250GB 7200RPM with BTO to a 500GB 7200RPM and then have the server model with 2 x 500GB 7200RPM. They'd share the same drives in their inventory and be able to claim the drives are as fast as a normal desktop.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Marvin:

The Apple store reflects the Mini configured: 2.66GHz; 4GB; 500GB = $1049

\t ``````````````````Mini Server: 2.66GHz; 4GB; 2 X 500GB = $ 999

It looks to me that the Server is a better deal.

Can I get the Desktop OS from an older Mini or a new iMac?

$ 1049 = £ 706.49 & VAT

$ 1000 = £ 673.49 & VAT

I think the VAT is 17.5% now.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Marvin:

The Apple store reflects the Mini configured: 2.66GHz; 4GB; 500GB = $1049

\t ``````````````````Mini Server: 2.66GHz; 4GB; 2 X 500GB = $ 999

It looks to me that the Server is a better deal.

Also the fact the 500GB drive in the lower one is 5400RPM, which is slower but I wouldn't upgrade the consumer model to 2.66GHz. I know it's fair to match the prices but you get an optical drive in the consumer one and you might end up buying a bus-powered external just in case you have the odd DVD you need to use.

Sticking with 2.4GHz, it's only 10% slower, which is not noticeable and it comes to $899. Apple's RAM pricing is great on these models.

Being able to use RAID0 on the Mini Server gives you the option for SSD-like performance though, which is quite nice:

http://mac-fusion.com/401/mac_mini_s...vs_other_macs/

Quote:

Can I get the Desktop OS from an older Mini or a new iMac?

You can probably clone a system onto it over firewire but it should be 10.6.4 because it will need to have the 320M graphics drivers. You'd boot up from the external computer before cloning to check if it was ok.

Quote:

$ 1049 = £ 706.49 & VAT

$ 1000 = £ 673.49 & VAT

I think the VAT is 17.5% now.

Yeah the server model is much cheaper in the US vs the UK too. It is $999 in the US = £671 + 17.5% = £788 so £799 would be reasonable but we get charged £929. £130 price hike for no reason.

Even ordering from Amazon.com internationally is cheaper because after import tax and shipping ($60), it comes to:

$669 + $60 = £490 + 17.5% = £575. This is still a saving of £75 ($110).

But Amazon have realized this pricing is crazy and blocked UK imports:

"Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."