Best Buy inventory suggests launch availability of white iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New inventory information from Best Buy shows the retailer has ordered limited quantities -- at least 10 per store -- of the white iPhone 4 for launch day, though whether they will actually be available for purchase remains to be seen.

The numbers were obtained and shared this week by iClarified, showing how many phones Best Buy has "on order." The data for a number of California Best Buy locations show most stores have ordered 10 white models in the 32GB capacity, though stores in Thousand Oaks, Porter Ranch, Burbank, Glendale, West Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks are allotted 20.

However, it remains possible that Best Buy ordered the handsets but will not receive them from Apple. The retailer's leaked, confusing launch day manual even contradicts itself, stating on page 2 that it will be launching the iPhone 4 on its opening day, but just a page later states, "Note: iPhone 4 devices will not be available on launch day."

Apple has not allowed customers to prepurchase the white iPhone 4, stating on its website that the model is currently unavailable for preorder or in-store pickup. In addition, AT&T's site listed the white model as "coming soon."

Best Buy's leaked inventory numbers suggest that in-store stock of the white model will be much less than the black iPhone 4. None of the stores included on the inventory lists ordered fewer than 20 16GB black models. In addition, a handful of Florida stores have orders for 70 handsets.

On launch day around 4 p.m., Best Buy halted preorders of the white model. The retailer did so after it was asked by Apple to cease reservations for that model. Best Buy then ceased all preorders on June 16.

In addition, Radio Shack, which will also be selling the iPhone 4, was informed by Apple last week that it could no longer use the word "pre-order" as part of its own reservation process, nor could it guarantee customers that they'd receive their iPhone on June 24th, according to people familiar with the matter. Those same people say that Apple allotted the retailer just shy of 100,000 units for its 4,500 shops and online store.

Indications that the white iPhone 4 would not be available at launch surfaced before preorders even began. A leaked memo from AT&T listed both the 16GB and 32GB capacities as available for purchase "later this summer." No date for wide availability has been given.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    rakic90rakic90 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

new inventory information from best buy shows the retailer has ordered limited quantities -- at least 10 per store -- of the white iphone 4 for launch day, though whether they will actually be available for purchase remains to be seen.

The numbers were obtained and shared this week by iclarified, showing how many phones best buy has "on order." the data for a number of california best buy locations show most stores have ordered 10 white models in the 32gb capacity, though stores in thousand oaks, porter ranch, burbank, glendale, west hollywood, and sherman oaks are allotted 20.

However, it remains possible that best buy ordered the handsets but will not receive them from apple. The retailer's leaked, confusing launch day manual even contradicts itself, stating on page 2 that it will be launching the iphone 4 on its opening day, but just a page later states, "note: Iphone 4 devices will not be available on launch day."

apple has not allowed customers to prepurchase the white iphone 4, stating on its website that the model is currently unavailable for preorder or in-store pickup. In addition, at&t's site listed the white model as "coming soon."

best buy's leaked inventory numbers suggest that in-store stock of the white model will be much less than the black iphone 4. None of the stores included on the inventory lists ordered fewer than 20 16gb black models. In addition, a handful of florida stores have orders for 70 handsets.

On launch day around 4 p.m., best buy halted preorders of the white model. The retailer did so after it was asked by apple to cease reservations for that model. Best buy then ceased all preorders on june 16.

In addition, radio shack, which will also be selling the iphone 4, was informed by apple last week that it could no longer use the word "pre-order" as part of its own reservation process, nor could it guarantee customers that they'd receive their iphone on june 24th, according to people familiar with the matter. Those same people say that apple allotted the retailer just shy of 100,000 units for its 4,500 shops and online store.

Indications that the white iphone 4 would not be available at launch surfaced before preorders even began. A leaked memo from at&t listed both the 16gb and 32gb capacities as available for purchase "later this summer." no date for wide availability has been given.

First!!!
  • Reply 2 of 31
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rakic90 View Post

first!!! :d

And quoting back the whole article shows how big idiot you are.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    Seems a fake document to me. Apple's dropped "Computer" from its name.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jozsoo View Post

Yeah, well... That would be a Best Buy error--that is clearly not an Apple Inc. doccument. I'm not saying that it is NOT a fake, just that I don't have a problem with BB getting that detail wrong!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't believe that Best Buy would have the white iPhone first. Apple, historically, doesn't allow third party vendors to things first before they do. If anyone would get a white iPhone before Apple, it would be AT&T.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    If this is true then Apple better have a few surprise white units themselves, in which case I will go at 4AM to wait on line WITH my pre-order and get the white instead.

I MUST HAVE THE WHITE!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    It's amazing to me the amount of print the white iPhone is getting...I personally have a white 3Gs but since Apple is going away from the white in its iMac and laptop line...I'm looking fwd to replacing my white 3Gs with a black 4G.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

If this is true then Apple better have a few surprise white units themselves, in which case I will go at 4AM to wait on line WITH my pre-order and get the white instead.

I MUST HAVE THE WHITE!

You can't swap out orders. You get what you pre-ordered. If they do, more power to you.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't believe that Best Buy would have the white iPhone first. Apple, historically, doesn't allow third party vendors to things first before they do. If any one would get a white iPhone before Apple would be AT&T.

Exactly the point I was going to make but you beat me to it! :-)

Also even if Best Buy ordered it that doesn't mean they are going to get it.......

I would think the Apple stores and their business partner AT&T would have the white one first!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You can't swap out orders. You get what you pre-ordered. If they do, more power to you.

Well yes but I imagine this is how it will go. Nobody has been able to pre-order the white iPhone so if indeed they have some they will only be for sale. Why wouldn't they sell these white iPhones to anyone who was loyal enough to pre-order and then wait 4 hours in line to be among one of the first? I don't think that will be an issue. Or I hope, anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    inappropriate post removed
  • Reply 12 of 31
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jozsoo View Post

Maybe they didn't get the memo...
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

And quoting back the whole article shows how big idiot you are.

ROFL. Well played, emulator, well played.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    reapernreapern Posts: 11member
    Has anyone thought that maybe the reason why Apple is not accepting pre-orders for the White version of the iPhone is because they want to give people who actually camp and choose to just go on day 1 a reason to do it? it would only make sense. It makes it more rewarding to those who try harder to get the phone.... what do u think?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reapern View Post

Has anyone thought that maybe the reason why Apple is not accepting pre-orders for the White version of the iPhone is because they want to give people who actually camp and choose to just go on day 1 a reason to do it? it would only make sense. It makes it more rewarding to those who try harder to get the phone.... what do u think?

Not sure if this is allowed but... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=943868
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Not sure if this is allowed but... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=943868

THX for that, but yeah it is all speculation, only one way to find out right now, and it's called the waiting game.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    My female friend says the white iPhone is for girls and it looks 'gay' when a man has one and she's from Brooklyn so she should be listened to. Must admit when I say a man with a white iPhone it does look kinda weak, but that's just my opinion.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    My guess is Apple hasn't said anything officially yet hoping they can get at least a limited number of Storm Trooper edition iPhones into the states in time to avoid disappointing people. Since AT&T/Apple never took pre-orders that first batch would probably goto BB who did take pre-orders. I spoke with someone on the BB Mobile hotline who said Apple never asked BB to not take white pre-orders so if it turns out this is true, and BB can't fulfill those orders, it's really Apple's fault for not notifying all their partners ahead of time.

As for why it's even an issue -- if you spend $300 and commit to a 2 year contract worth $2,000 with no chance of upgrading for at least a year it seems reasonable you should get exactly what you want. I know some of the black loyalists are snickering about this but what if you had to go pickup a white iPhone on the 24th and had no option of getting black? I think perhaps the best option for Apple at this point is to offer a trade-in at some later date.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

My female friend says the white iPhone is for girls and it looks 'gay' when a man has one and she's from Brooklyn so she should be listened to. Must admit when I say a man with a white iPhone it does look kinda weak, but that's just my opinion.

you and your friend both sound like idiots.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Sweaters View Post

you and your friend both sound like idiots.

Agreed. even though he is trying to help, i dont get how an electronic device can show ur sexual preference unless it says clearly "the owner of this iphone is gay" and was written by the owner