AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders, first apps with Apple's iAd arrive

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T has begun shipping iPhone 4 preorders to customers who ordered through the wireless carrier, while the first applications supporting Apple's iAd mobile advertising network are now available with placeholders where the ads will appear when the service launches.

AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders

Some AT&T customers checking the status of their iPhone 4 order have been notified that their order has shipped. The news follows Apple's own shipments of the iPhone 4, beginning over the weekend.

Some readers' orders show an arrival date of June 23 -- one day before the iPhone launch. For other product launches, shipments have been held to wait for the official launch date before delivery.

AT&T's verification systems for existing customers were bogged down last week on the first day of iPhone 4 preorders, making it difficult for customers to access the company's website or place an order for Apple's latest handset. AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S.

After the first day of availability, AT&T suspended preorders for iPhone 4, revealing that demand was ten times greater than for the iPhone 3GS. The company said that there were more than 13 million visits to its website on June 15. Apple also announced that the first day of preorders alone amounted to 600,000 purchases for iPhone 4.

First iAd apps arrive with temporary placeholders

The first applications featuring compatibility with Apple's new iAd mobile advertising network are now available on the App Store. However, iAd is not scheduled to launch until July 1, leaving the advertisements with placeholders for the time being.

The first apps to support iAd came from Avantar, developer of applications including White & Yellow Pages, AirYell, Munch, Showtimes, and OneTap movies.

Apple's iAd temporary placeholder banners. Screens via MacStories.

According to iLounge, the applications previously touted their compatibility with iAd on the App Store. Since then, the list of features have been revised to remove any reference to iAd.

Ads on iPhones running iOS 4 will show a banner with an Apple logo reading "Test Advertisement." The ads also feature the iAd logo in the corner, which Apple will use to distinguish its iAds -- which will offer in-app content rather than launching a browser -- from competitors.

Selecting a test advertisement pulls up a full-screen page that reads: "This Confirms That Test Ads Are Running Correctly." It features an option to close the ad with an 'X' in the top left corner, and a white Apple logo is displayed in the bottom right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I wonder how many people will be leaving work early or staying home sick in order to get this thing as soon as it arrives on the doorstep. iPhone4 could cost this country billions in lost work time.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wonder how many people will be leaving work early or staying home sick in order to get this thing as soon as it arrives on the doorstep. iPhone4 could cost this country billions in lost work time.

Pfft that time's all wasted on Facebook anyways.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Some customers can't wait to see all those great advertisements. Why is iAd not available on launch day?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released. And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

i will be 'working' from home that day
  • Reply 6 of 39
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster;

...but only a drop in the bucket compared to the loss of productivity due to Windows' marketshare.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Some customers can't wait to see all those great advertisements. Why is iAd not available on launch day?

sponsors pay for iAds per quarter, with the 3rd quarter starting on July 1st. the only iAds you could see before July 1st would be for Apple products.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released. And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

not sure I understand your issue with iAd specifically. It sits in a free app as a clickable link that opens without disrupting the app (as described by Apple). YOU have to choose to CLICK on the iAd link, it doesn't auto-magically launch itself and disrupt your app.

So are you asking for an app that would keep you from choosing to click on an iAd link?

Color me confused.....

• Reply 9 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    AT&T

No shipping notice yet from AT&T, but the one from the Apple Store store states it's in transit.

iAds

Since these use webcode can iAds be used on websites, too, or just in apps? I noticed that AI's new'y redesigned mobile site* uses AdMob.

* Thanks again for making it more usable. There does seem to be an issue with the links to the forum from the mobile site. I'm having to go to the full page and then click on the forum link to get access.

Quote:

They could have had it delivered to their work. I use a PO BOX for everything which AT&T will not deliver to, plus they require that your mailing address match your account and your CC/Debit card address match your AT&T account. I changed it all to match the hotel I'm staying at so there are options for people.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    my order [ordered in ATT store via handwritten carbon copies 10:00 am EST on the 15th]

says "in progress" with a ship date of 6/20/2010.

It includes a fed ex tracking number, but clicking on it brings me to a fed ex page with no information on that number.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Why would that even be important?

• Reply 12 of 39
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Oh Boy! Ads! You know your platform has become mainstream when they put custom ads in the programs you buy. Wooo Hoo!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    fedex:

Ship date Jun 20, 2010

Estimated delivery Jun 23, 2010 by 10:30 AM
  • Reply 14 of 39
    mydnytemydnyte Posts: 17member
    Quote:

I'd like to know how many man-years of labor costs AT&T is spending on this debacle...
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

fedex:

Ship date Jun 20, 2010

Estimated delivery Jun 23, 2010 by 10:30 AM

No. It will be held at the FedEx facility until released for delivery on the 24th. A similar thing happened last year with the 3GS.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Shouldn't you be working?

• Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

My guess is that they will be available immediately, but will never be sold on the iStore.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

sponsors pay for iAds per quarter, with the 3rd quarter starting on July 1st. the only iAds you could see before July 1st would be for Apple products.

I see your point. Prorating for the extra few days would be like, really, really hard to do.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

...but only a drop in the bucket compared to the loss of productivity due to Windows' marketshare.

LOL. Funny because it's true.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    The iPhone ordered from Apple is shipping directly out of Hong Kong, so the "estimated" arrival date of June 23rd may be premature, but it may also depend on where you live. From Hong Kong, it would arrive in CA before it would arrive in NY, for example.

I, for one, will be WORKING on that day. I do not believe in missing work for a phone. Why would it cost any company money when employees have earned sick time? If an employee didn't have incurred sick time, they would not get paid anyway.