Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's latest operating system upgrade for the iPhone, iOS 4, was released Monday, packed with over 100 new features including multitasking and folders.

iOS 4 is compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G, as well as recent generation iPod touch. Multitasking is only available with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. iOS 4 also comes preinstalled on the new, $99, 8GB iPhone 3GS, as well as the next-generation iPhone 4, set for release this Thursday.

The build released Monday is 8A293, the same as the gold master release candidate introduced to developers at the iPhone 4 event last week. The full IPSW update file weighs in at 579MB and is available through iTunes.

New features of iOS 4 highlighted by Apple:

Multitasking: Now you can run your favorite third-party apps —- and switch between them instantly —- without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.

Folders: Organize apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity. Get faster access to your favorites and browse and manage up to 2160 apps.

Even better Mail: See messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads, open attachments in third-party apps, and more.

iBooks: More than a great ebook reader, iBooks is also an amazing place to browse and shop for books, day or night.

Create playlists: Create custom playlists right on your iPhone.

5x digital zoom: Get closer to your subjects by zooming in up to 5x.

Tap to focus video: While shooting video, tap the display to choose where to focus.

Faces and Places in Photos: View photos based on who’s in them and where they were taken.

Home screen wallpaper: Change the background wallpaper on your Home screen.

Gift apps: Send apps as gifts to your friends or family.

Spell checking: A built-in spell checker works in Mail, Notes, and other apps.

Wireless keyboard support: Pair a keyboard based on Bluetooth wireless technology with your iPhone.

For more, see First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 257
    Already have it downloaded......installing now.
  • Reply 2 of 257
    Downloading doesn't seem bogged (yet). Just a few minutes of download time and you're on to installation - which (as always) takes so much longer than the patience we have to wait.

Update

1:13pm CST: Is it just me? I've been hung on "Backing up 'iPhone'" for 30 minutes. (Yes, I stopped and started over after 15 minutes - so that's 30 minutes on the second attempt.)

2:30pm CST: Still waiting for "Backing up iPhone" to disappear and move on. Is it just the 3G? Hearing 3GS users are installed.

2:50pm CST: FINALLY, the phone is restoring. If you've waited - keep waiting. The status bar means nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 257
    not showing up yet
  • Reply 4 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Downloading doesn't seem bogged (yet). Just a few minutes of download time and you're on to installation - which (as always) takes so much longer than the patience we have to wait.

Isntalling mine now!! Everything going smoothly....
  • Reply 5 of 257
    tpf1952tpf1952 Posts: 65member
    Downloading now. Hoping it's got the goods!
  • Reply 6 of 257
    There is a firmware update and then the backup and photo updates... still progressing after ten minutes...
  • Reply 7 of 257
    just started....yeah
  • Reply 8 of 257
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    FINALLY

iTunes says 14 minutes remaining (:
  • Reply 9 of 257
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Is this the same GM released to devs at WWDC? I heard there were some bugs.

EDIT: It does appear to be the same build (8A293).
  • Reply 10 of 257
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Although a minor footnote for most people, its nice to see that IPv6 support has now been included.
  • Reply 11 of 257
    vatdorovatdoro Posts: 52member
    my iOS 4 has finished downloading and is now installing on my phone!

I currently have a 3G, so I won't get multitasking but I am excited for folders, all the email upgrades, and iBooks. Along with all the little goodies apples has included.

I love Apple's software releases. They are predictable, quality, and universal. I wish all those Android users good luck with their OS updates! Hehe!
  • Reply 12 of 257
    Camera is fast fast fast

Folders awesome
  • Reply 14 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Direct links...[LIST][*]snip

Thanks! Do you know how to install them this way? I can't use I tunes to download at work because it is blocked, but I can get to these links and download them manually.
  • Reply 15 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Direct links...[LIST][*]2G iPod Touch » http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....3_Restore.ipsw

Thanks! Going there now.
  • Reply 16 of 257
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Apple is doomed! Is it snappy? I did stuff Apple told me not to and had problems! Android has more features on its list! Apple demands complete control of your brains, wake up sheeple!

Just thought I'd get that out of the way for everyone. Please continue the discussion noting that the above statements have already been made and need not be made again.
  • Reply 17 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Thanks! Do you know how to install them this way? I can't use I tunes to download at work because it is blocked, but I can get to these links and download them manually.

You hold down the Alt/Option key when pressing Check for Update which will bring up a Finder window so you can choose the IPSW file.
  • Reply 18 of 257
    Got a 1 gen iPod touch with 2.2.1. Now it says I'm up to date. Won't even offer 3.x.x Any way to fix this?
  • Reply 19 of 257
    Quote:

You hold down the Alt/Option key when pressing Check for Update which will bring up a Finder window so you can choose the IPSW file.

perfect! I thought it was the shift key for some reason. Thanks!
  • Reply 20 of 257
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Got a 1 gen iPod touch with 2.2.1. Now it says I'm up to date. Won't even offer 3.x.x Any way to fix this?

from a third party website. apple wont offer older (outdated) versions of software, 4.0 or nothing- and your touch doesn't support 4.0 unfortunately \