First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 141 of 178
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

But isn't the current direction to restrict user choice in favor of a standard UX? I thought that was what you DIDN'T like.

I think you mean that you WANT Apple to change direction, so that you will be able to use "your" machine the way you want to use it, rather than the way that Apple wants you to use it.

If they changed direction, for example, they might allow multitasking on your device, with an option to turn it off. But that is NOT the current Apple way of doing things, nor does it seem to me to be the direction apple is going.

Sorry... Didn't realize you were a troll... You didn't read all of the post did you....My reference to Droid? Google plays favorites with their devices... Had I been a Droid user I would have had to wait 6 months for an update to the OS Nexus One users got out of the box.... I like how Apple has a predictable schdule and you know your product is the best they have to offer for the year (Droid on their THIRD phone in less than a year... Are you a Droid owner? That would certainly frustrate me enough to troll on Apple sites).

Apple is controling, there's no question about that... I really feel like they need to end censorship on the App store....That's always a dangerous road....but having ZERO screening process (such as the Android Marketplace) is also not great in my opinion... I enjoy not having to have virus scanners on my phone.

Enjoy your Droid!
  • Reply 142 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Applying Update Now! ahhh excited! the download was very quick.

mine said 2 min... now it says 19 min and keeps going up
  • Reply 143 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Actually a couple of other things...
    1. All the iPhone 4 hardware issues (FaceTime, video)

2. Multitasking

3. No custom wallpaper for home screens, just old black bakground

4. Can't synch to external Bluetooth keyboards

Personally, I'm a bit dissapointed about that...I currently have a 3GS so it doesn't efffect me, but in thinking about 2011, it bothers me that features are left out...Apple has been so good at giving away 2 years of updates.. I hope they're not planning on changing this.. I would much rather have a sluggish multitasking 3G (or at least have the option of turning it off). I saw jailbroken 2G iPhones multitask just fine...

EDIT: Actually just re-ready the post...I thought you were a 3G user... Answers are still the same... A better deal though...To my knowledge this is the first time they've given the update away to iPod folks.... I think they've usually charged like a $10 fee...

That being said, I'm still a massive fan boy.... CAN'T WAIT to update to iOS 4!! Woooo Hooooo!!!!

Thanks for the info. Is there any reason that you think iPod touch 2nd gen updgraders won't be getting wallpapers? I know this is pretty small but its mystifying as the 2nd gen iPod touch is quite a powerful mini-mini computer... Same goes for multitasking (perhaps a RAM issue?)...
  • Reply 144 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Thanks mate. So far downloading on iTunes is alright.

2mbit/sec down... 30 minutes

You lucky bast*rds with fast broadband.

Seriously though, 2mbit is considered good where I am. Over tethered 3G no less.
  • Reply 145 of 178
    A great thread on the iOS update countdown/ status report on Apple Discussions

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2468123

Great, as in fun, I guess
  • Reply 146 of 178
    ITs out!!
  • Reply 147 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

1:10 ET - Just finished downloading via iTunes.

The total size is 366.4 MB and it downloaded at about 3 MB/s - so total download time was under two minutes.

It is being applied now.

I HATE YOU AND YOUR FAST BROADBAND AND YOUR LITTLE DOG, too

Nah, I kid, I kid...
  • Reply 148 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jesseali View Post

mine said 2 min... now it says 19 min and keeps going up

Use Activity Monitor check your throughput. For me the Apple server delivering the file is stable so far ( current location: Malaysia )
  • Reply 149 of 178
    matnehmatneh Posts: 4member
    8A293 is the same as the Gold Master.

But on the iPod 3G, the GM has no built-in backgrounds.

So the final version really doesn't have any built-in backgrounds?
  • Reply 150 of 178
    Downloading in the Southeast! Yay!
  • Reply 151 of 178
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Thanks for the info. Is there any reason that you think iPod touch 2nd gen updgraders won't be getting wallpapers? I know this is pretty small but its mystifying as the 2nd gen iPod touch is quite a powerful mini-mini computer... Same goes for multitasking (perhaps a RAM issue?)...

I hear you! It's a bummer they chose to do it... My only guess is that they feel it would slow down the processor... Get the iPhone 4! The experience is so different when it's your phone... I use my 3GS almost constantly.
  • Reply 152 of 178
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Connect your iPhone and click update.

5 minutes later…backing up…less than an hour…wow
  • Reply 153 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

I hear you! It's a bummer they chose to do it... My only guess is that they feel it would slow down the processor... Get the iPhone 4! The experience is so different when it's your phone... I use my 3GS almost constantly.

argh! i want to hear how you like the 4. then when the 5 comes out i might splurge (though what the hell kind of features will we be seeing in the 5?!?!?!- it feels like Apple has got it all in the 4 already!!!)

cheers
  • Reply 154 of 178
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    FInally, after 38 minutes of download, an error message?
  • Reply 155 of 178
    These improvements are welcome.

Unfortunately there is a GREAT downside of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 ? the device is almost unresponsive now. Voice recorder launches for 12 seconds, SMS application about 10 seconds, Maps also around 10 seconds. After upgrade if I quit Safari, write a message and return to Safari I always see it reload my Page after 10 second delay (It means Safari was purged due to low-memory condition).

I cannot run several games now (they crash) until I switch Push Messaging off freeing some memory.

It is clear the 128MB memory of iPhone 3G is not enough for these new features. It?s a pity, because I cannot boast my iPhone 3G to friends now. It?s not cool at all that, if you use any application and you need to reply to a SMS you spend 30 seconds for that??? (3 seconds to type the message, 20 seconds waiting application launch and 7 seconds waiting to switch keyboard layout)

It seems to me the situation is the same as in Apple ads Mac OSX gets ?faster and faster? with each update, until you compare your friend?s with iBook G4 running Tiger and your Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and you find that amazingly that ancient 5 year old machine does everything way faster! The secret is he did not update it.

You guys keep saying "No reason not to include Wallpapaer, bluetooth keyboard support, etc".

But the reason is probably MEMORY! Actually Apple could not fit the new iOS 4 into 128Mb but they really tried...
  • Reply 156 of 178
    I was wondering should i upgrade so IOS 4 or wait for the new jailbreak to upgrade?? i already downloaded it just havent installed it yet
  • Reply 157 of 178
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I've got it too but since I need both jailbreak and unlock, I'm holding off until those better at this than me put together their tutorials.
  • Reply 158 of 178
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrissan View Post

You guys keep saying "No reason not to include Wallpapaer, bluetooth keyboard support, etc".

But the reason is probably MEMORY! Actually Apple could not fit the new iOS 4 into 128Mb but they really tried...

I don't see how either could be a significant hit to RAM, but I do agree there is likely a technical reason for it.
  • Reply 159 of 178
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

argh! i want to hear how you like the 4. then when the 5 comes out i might splurge (though what the hell kind of features will we be seeing in the 5?!?!?!- it feels like Apple has got it all in the 4 already!!!)

cheers

I'll take a stab at this...

Here is what I would expect on the iPhone 5.

Dual core Apple processor

More RAM (possibly)

Better battery life (Apple is always shooting for this one.)

Further improvements to the camera

5.8GHz on the wireless N (only a maybe on this one)

64 GB model possibly

Now for the wish list... All of the above can be assumed for the wish list too.

Built-in mini SD card slot (micro?)

USB 3.0 interface (much faster transfers/syncs)

Wireless syncing

And can we please finally get a shark with a freakin' laser on it's head?!?! Is that really too much to ask for?
  • Reply 160 of 178
    vinvin Posts: 3member
    QUOTE=hrissan:These improvements are welcome.

Unfortunately there is a GREAT downside of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 – the device is almost unresponsive now. Voice recorder launches for 12 seconds, SMS application about 10 seconds, Maps also around 10 seconds. After upgrade if I quit Safari, write a message and return to Safari I always see it reload my Page after 10 second delay (It means Safari was purged due to low-memory condition).

I cannot run several games now (they crash) until I switch Push Messaging off freeing some memory.

Same problem for me with my iPhone 3G until I reset it. It works fine now and surprisingly faster than before. Phew!