Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

from a third party website. apple wont offer older (outdated) versions of software, 4.0 or nothing- and your touch doesn't support 4.0 unfortunately \

Time to update your hardware!
  • Reply 22 of 257
    Folders, zoom and multi are nice but what's the big deal about homepage? I've been changing mine all the time?
  • Reply 23 of 257
    Done...about 17-18 minutes for the whole process
  • Reply 24 of 257
    Does anyone know when this will be released for iPad?
  • Reply 25 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Pipped by Joe hs.
  • Reply 26 of 257
    Its here and its great. was quick easy and hassle free...
  • Reply 27 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

This won't be released for the iPad. It hasn't even hit the dev sites as a Beta yet. The word is that iOS 4.0 for the iPad will be released this fall, hopefully with an updated iPad with 512MB RAM.
  • Reply 28 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

In the Fall.
  • Reply 29 of 257
    fall!?
  • Reply 30 of 257
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    This is US only right? I live in canada and have a 3GS phone.
  • Reply 31 of 257
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

This fall.
  • Reply 32 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I live in Japan and have updated my 3GS.

iOS 4 rocks.
  • Reply 33 of 257
    I'm a developer and I've had this GM seed on my 2nd gen Touch for a while. I have never seen or have been prompted for the iBooks application. I thought it would be available when 4.0 was released to the public, but the GM is what is released to the public it seems. iTunes tells me to download iBooks for the iPod in the store, but I can't find it.

Does anyone else have iBooks on their devices yet?
  • Reply 34 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Fall.
  • Reply 35 of 257
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

I'm a developer and I've had this GM seed on my 2nd gen Touch for a while. I have never seen or have been prompted for the iBooks application. I thought it would be available when 4.0 was released to the public, but the GM is what is released to the public it seems. iTunes tells me to download iBooks for the iPod in the store, but I can't find it.

I got a blue dialog from apple asking me if i wanted to download it about a week ago (iOS developer GM) and it never showed up. Download started then said can't do it on iphone, go to itunes. I went to itunes and it just never worked.

My guess is it will probably happen today or tomorrow. It's good to see find my iPhone works now, because it didn't before the mobileme updates on iOS4.
  • Reply 36 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

Only for the iPad. I assume this will be a separate App Store download just like iBooks for the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 257
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

my iOS 4 has finished downloading and is now installing on my phone!

I currently have a 3G, so I won't get multitasking but I am excited for folders, all the email upgrades, and iBooks. Along with all the little goodies apples has included.

I love Apple's software releases. They are predictable, quality, and universal. I wish all those Android users good luck with their OS updates! Hehe!

I've been running the GM build jailbroken for the past few days on a 2G touch. I'm typing on it right now and listening to Pandora. It is laggy but I'm not sure if you're willing to take that route on your phone. I didn't on my 3G but I will be moving on to iPhone 4.

You'd also have to take into consideration that the 2G touch has a slightly faster processor than the 3G.
  • Reply 38 of 257
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

fall!?

American English term for the proper word: autumn

anyway, installing iOS 4 now and will be getting new iPhone 4 in a couple weeks time, looking forward to it
  • Reply 39 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I live in Canada and am downloading it right now.
  • Reply 40 of 257
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This won't be released for the iPad. It hasn't even hit the dev sites as a Beta yet. The word is that iOS 4.0 for the iPad will be released this fall, hopefully with an updated iPad with 512MB RAM.

Hmmm. My suspicion is that Apple doesn't want the iPad to have 512 MB yet. Remember the argument we had with some people here about the amount of memory? We were saying that 256 wasn't enough, and they were saying that as Apple has 256, it obviously was enough. Well, I think the fact that the iPhone 4 has 512 shows that 256 ISN'T enough. It's why, apparently, the new video editing app won't work (according to Apple) on the iPad, supposedly even with iOS 4; not enough RAM. It's not the cost of the RAM.

I think that it was deliberate. Despite what some have said, it's obvious the A4 chip package can have more than 256. The RAM is just another module in the package.

While editing on a phone is great, it won't compete with the Macbook for sales. Editing on the iPad would. I believe that until Apple decides exactly where the iPad sits within Apple's sales line-up, they don't want it more directly competing with the more expensive model.

While I hope I'm wrong, I don't expect to see 512 until next year.