Report confirms Google Wi-Fi code collected UNAUTHORIZED PERSONAL DATA

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20...orsPicksArea.0

Quote:

This analysis establishes that Google did, beyond reasonable doubt, have intent to systematically intercept and record the content of communications and thus places the company at risk of criminal prosecution in almost all the 30 jurisdictions in which the system was used,"

Collecting unauthorized personal data for 3 years?

WHO'S EVIL NOW?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

WHO'S EVIL NOW?

Way to take that quote out of context.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

WHO'S EVIL NOW?

Not defending them, but I would point out that all people had to do was run a network with WPA enabled in order to defeat the collection. I cant feel too much sympathy for people who leave their front door open and are then mad when someone walks in.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Not defending them, but I would point out that all people had to do was run a network with WPA enabled in order to defeat the collection. I cant feel too much sympathy for people who leave their front door open and are then mad when someone walks in.

Doesn't matter. It is flat out illegal in many states. It is almost universally against the terms of service for ISPs around the country, which may only be a civil issue, but it can cause Google much grief because it is the type of legal restriction they invariable should have the legal knowledge of before sniffing the packets. That alone can set them up for either a negligence loss in the new lawsuits, or if there is any evidence they wrote that code knowing of terms of service problems they can get hit with willful negligence.

This is also the kind of incident that could get the whole shadow data collection industry regulated. These kinds of data are already prohibited to be collected by the US government due to existing privacy related and search/seizure laws. Not that much harder to put civil data collection under the same umbrella, the possibility for misuse and mal-use without any restrictions is too great.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Doesn't matter. It is flat out illegal in many states. It is almost universally against the terms of service for ISPs around the country, which may only be a civil issue, but it can cause Google much grief because it is the type of legal restriction they invariable should have the legal knowledge of before sniffing the packets. That alone can set them up for either a negligence loss in the new lawsuits, or if there is any evidence they wrote that code knowing of terms of service problems they can get hit with willful negligence.

This is also the kind of incident that could get the whole shadow data collection industry regulated. These kinds of data are already prohibited to be collected by the US government due to existing privacy related and search/seizure laws. Not that much harder to put civil data collection under the same umbrella, the possibility for misuse and mal-use without any restrictions is too great.

exactly.

just because your someone's door is open, doesn't mean Google's allowed to steal my couch.