steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Why would that even be important?

Because it enhances the UX.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released. And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time.

Oooookay... and were you saying things like this about other advertising platforms?

I hope you're not a fan of free apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The iPhone ordered from Apple is shipping directly out of Hong Kong, so the "estimated" arrival date of June 23rd may be premature, but it may also depend on where you live. From Hong Kong, it would arrive in CA before it would arrive in NY, for example.

FedEx does a great job of getting the packages where they belong on time. There are mistakes, but overall they've got a great track record shipping Apple products. I've certainly never had a problem myself. What people will see, though, is that the nearest distribution center will get the iPhone on time for delivery (on, say, the 23rd), but will actually hold it until the 24th.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

I see your point. Prorating for the extra few days would be like, really, really hard to do.

it's like, really really hard to tell your sponsors that their July 1st deadline for having ads ready is being moved up 9 days, and it's like, really really hard to rewrite contracts to include 9 prorated days in only 9 days without like, having your lawyers charge you more than you would get in ad revenue.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Well since the 15th I have had "processing" listed on my att account...today I got the order shipped email! WHOOT!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I would prefer if they pushed the 'close' button away from the edge a little to allow easier clicking to close the iAd:

• Reply 26 of 39
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

it's like, really really hard to tell your sponsors that their July 1st deadline for having ads ready is being moved up 9 days, and it's like, really really hard to rewrite contracts to include 9 prorated days in only 9 days without like, having your lawyers charge you more than you would get in ad revenue.

There is nothing hard about telling your customer that if they are ready, they can opt to start running the ad early.

There is nothing hard about putting a clause into the original contract that contemplates iAd availability on something other than the first day of a calendar quarter.

You don't write softtware (or contracts), do you?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

my order [ordered in ATT store via handwritten carbon copies 10:00 am EST on the 15th]

says "in progress" with a ship date of 6/20/2010.

It includes a fed ex tracking number, but clicking on it brings me to a fed ex page with no information on that number.

I got the same when I checked this morning. I originally pre-ordered mine at an AT&T store on the first day (late afternoon EST). The AT&T person said I might not get my iPhone until the 25th or 28th when I signed up.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    mylesgmylesg Posts: 5member
    Quote:

After the first day of availability, AT&T suspended preorders for iPhone 4, revealing that demand was ten times greater than for the iPhone 3GS.

Any word on when ATT will start accepting orders again? I am in limbo. I need to "add a line to an existing account", which the apple site can't do.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is selling so well? I attribute it to iOS 4, facetime, and dual cameras of course but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is doing selling so well? I attribute it to iOS 4, facetime, and dual cameras of course but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?

1. I really don't think it's too early to analyze why it's selling so well, there is a huge quantity of iPhone users that were eligible for upgrades what have been holding off and with iPhone 4 there is a huge improvement in feature set, I know several 2.0, 2.5 and 3 users that are all upgrading. (*not including many 3Gs users like myself). iPhones bring a very nice return in open sale on the internet so in many cases users are breaking even or shelling out very little cash to upgrade at this time.

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive, you had to attribute anything to them I would say their 'fan base' is mainly adroidbois and they contribute negative items 'of interest' and rumor mongering. As said in Kelly's Heroes "Negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves baby, don't get you any where".
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

1. I really don't think it's too early to analyze why it's selling so well, there is a huge quantity of iPhone users that were eligible for upgrades what have been holding off and with iPhone 4 there is a huge improvement in feature set, I know several 2.0, 2.5 and 3 users that are all upgrading. (*not including many 3Gs users like myself). iPhones bring a very nice return in open sale on the internet so in many cases users are breaking even or shelling out very little cash to upgrade at this time.

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive, you had to attribute anything to them I would say their 'fan base' is mainly adroidbois and they contribute negative items 'of interest' and rumor mongering. As said in Kelly's Heroes "Negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves baby, don't get you any where".

1. - Very true

2. - Ah. When the Gizmodo story broke it was all over CNN, Fox News, ABC News, etc, etc. Not too sure if anyone actually navigated over to Gizmodo to see what they had to say but I know for a good few days the media was saturated with the iPhone 4...As they say, even bad publicity is good publicity and I think this is true in this case too.

Incidentally, what new features do you think the iPhone 5th generation will have? I feel like it can't possibly be as revolutionary as the features in iPhone 4...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    I placed my order around 7 a.m. the day of the pre-order...as of 6/18 my status is "processing" ...I have a Premier Business account...as of right now it has not shipped, which is very annoying and disappointing ...my credit card was charged on 6/17, however...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

I placed my order around 7 a.m. the day of the pre-order...as of 6/18 my staus is "processing" ...I haev a Premier Business account...as of right now it has not shipped, which is very annoying and disappointing ...my credit card was charged on 6/17, however...

If this is your biggest problem in life I would say that, with all due respect, you are doing fine.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    my AT&T link was just updated to show "Shipped". FedEx tracking info still not in the FedEx system, but no worries. I know it will get to my house on Thursday.

i pre-ordered on the 15th @ 2:15pm EST at my local AT&T store.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

If this is your biggest problem in life I would say that, with all due respect, you are doing fine.

Actually, I was hit in the face on Sunday morning with a bat in an attempted robbery...thanks for your insight.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

my AT&T link was just updated to show "Shipped". FedEx tracking info still not in the FedEx system, but no worries. I know it will get to my house on Thursday.

i pre-ordered on the 15th @ 2:15pm EST at my local AT&T store.

For what it's worth, my ATT order shows shipping by Fedex with a shipping number on ATT's website. However, ATT also sent me an email that my order had shipped with a different shipping number with UPS. Neither UPS nor Fedex have either number in their system yet. I'm sure I'll get it but no idea who's going to deliver it yet.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    I thought I'd share my experience today since I also ordered from AT&T.

I ordered an iPhone 4 at 12pm ET on 6/15 and this morning I manually checked my order status on the AT&T web site. The status is "Shipped," but when I clicked on my tracking number the FedEx website says the tracking number is "Not Found." I figured this would be updated at some point today, but it never was.

I just called FedEx and gave them my tracking number, because I'm being incredibly impatient and want to know what's up, and they told me it won't ship until tomorrow.

So, at least in my case, AT&T's order status website isn't totally accurate.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wonder how many people will be leaving work early or staying home sick in order to get this thing as soon as it arrives on the doorstep. iPhone4 could cost this country billions in lost work time.

There's this funny thing called vacation time/personal leave. Many folks will be using that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released.

They won't be approved by Apple and many folks won't jailbreak to use them. Especially since these ads have been designed to be as nonannoying as an ad can be.

Quote:

And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

There's not said requirement now so why should that change for iAds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iAds

Since these use webcode can iAds be used on websites, too, or just in apps?

At the moment, just in apps. We'll see if they do an 'iAdsense'

Quote:

They could have had it delivered to their work.

That assumes that work allows personal packages. Many don't. They don't want the liability of the mail room dropping something, stealing something etc

Quote:

Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is selling so well?

yes. because interest is not sales. Many of those 600k phones were not paid for and require someone to actually go to a store and shell out money. and who knows what the post launch trends will be like

Quote:

but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?

I think that Giz did nada but screw themselves. The iphone generates its own interest. We would have seen these numbers even without Giz's crime. Mainly because the interest is in things that were software based and weren't exposed early.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive,

It didn't used to be. Before the Valleywag and Gizmodo stunts, Gawker was about 50/50. When they screwed themselves by stepping over the line with the iphone they went more like 90 neg/10 pos. when Apple refused them a media pass to WWDC they moved to 99/1

It's actually rather funny really. they did it to themselves. It is their fault that Gawker is not site non grata to Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

There's this funny thing called vacation time/personal leave. Many folks will be using that.

There's this funny thing called sarcasm. Many folks can spot it