Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 257
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

• Reply 62 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Already have it downloaded......installing now.

same here but its taking so long tp back up\
  • Reply 63 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

As a suggestion, you ought to make sure your favorite apps have been upgraded before installing iOS 4.0 or you might find some big problems with some apps. There is a huge backlog of apps in the review queue at Apple. I have apps that haven't even made it to the "in review" stage yet and they have been there for a week. Usually, Apple moves them into in review pretty fast.

Yah - I got an email form Runkeeper this weekend stating the incompatibility and they are also waiting for iOS4 app approval. Any web sites keeping a list of apps that may hiccup until their iOS4 versions come out?
  • Reply 64 of 257
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

I believe the word is out, it has taken me 26 minutes to download. Oh well, let's hope this is all worth it.

I downloaded it the second it became available and iTunes told me 14 minutes at the beginning however it took 6 minutes in total. So yeah, "the word is out".
  • Reply 65 of 257
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

Yep, they either disabled it or changed the code. Been that way for a few builds now...
  • Reply 66 of 257
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Ok, I updated my iPhone 3GS 16GB to iOS4.

Here is my verdict: IT ROCKS!

Here's why:

- It's much smoother and faster

- Multitasking works great (I'm switching apps like crazy)

- All the apps I tested so far works fine (Skype popped a message that it is supposed to work on v3X but it is still working).

- Camera works fast! stills & video

- The rest is pretty much the same, which is a good thing

Download took 15 minutes (in Israel).

Installation took about 5-7 minutes with no problems.

• Reply 67 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, it took around 30 minutes for mine to backup, and another 15 to install and restore. I did stop and restart my backup after 15 minutes because I thought is was stuck. The 30 minutes is the second backup.

Ha! My progress bar shows it is about 1/10 complete and it has been backin up for nearly an hour!
  • Reply 68 of 257
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Folders awesome

I agree! My most favorite feature so far.

Mutlitasking - meh. I can see how it would be useful in a few situations, but not all apps seem to like it (hey Navigon - you need to update!). I did discover (if it was pointed out somewhere, I missed it) that if you bring up the task switcher and press and hold on an apps icon, they all "jiggle" and show a minus sign which kills that app. Very nice as some apps (like Navigon!) are obviously hogging resources if you switch away from them. I wish you could flag some apps as "never multitask - preserve pre-OS 4 functionality" in iTunes to keep this issue to a minimum.

But overall I have really enjoyed OS 4 and am really looking forward to the new iPhone on Thursday
  • Reply 69 of 257
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Anyone else have problems getting iBooks to show up in the iTunes Apps tab so you can sync it to the iPhone?

I think I'm going to delete and re-download it but it's just plain weird...

EDIT: That did it. Version 1.1 is the one that will show up and download to the iPhone.
  • Reply 70 of 257
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    iBooks is here!

Just got it in the updates on my iPad.

Love the new texture behind the book on the icon. Never liked the old one. It looks like hardwood paneling instead of cloth.
  • Reply 71 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Ha! My progress bar shows it is about 1/10 complete and it has been backin up for nearly an hour!

Yeah, it'll be there forever, and then all of a sudden complete the rest in 2 minutes. Hold on little buddy!
  • Reply 72 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is iBooks considered an iOS 4.0 feature, or simply an app that requires iOS 4.0. It should be completely separate, just like with iBooks for the iPad.

its a app that you have to download
  • Reply 73 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, it'll be there forever, and then all of a sudden complete the rest in 2 minutes. Hold on little buddy!

Thanks for this... I really thought something was wrong. Your saying it's normal resolves any anxiety about it not processing. Now, I wait. (It's been over an hour on 3G 16GB.)
  • Reply 74 of 257
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Downloaded the update almost two hours ago and I'm still waiting to use my phone. For some stupid reason, it wiped the thing entirely clean and is reloading all of my media, as well as going through the "optimizing photos for iPhone" process all over again with my 4,776 photos. Why it thinks it needs to do that, I do not know. I hope iTunes isn't filling up my hard drive with duplicates of my photos.
  • Reply 75 of 257
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's alright. I find it faster than 3.x. In fact the OS is at its fastest since 1.x.

I remember installing 3.0 on my 3G, it was fast at first but slowed down as time went on. I hope this won't be the case with 4.0. I want to upgrade my hardware but I'm waiting to see if the Verizon rumors come true. Currently I find myself in areas with zero AT&T coverage but my Verizon work phone (BlackBerry) works great. I don't expect 3G everywhere I go, but in 2010 there is no reason not to have coverage 20 minutes outside of a large tourist attraction in the mid-west.
  • Reply 76 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Downloaded the update almost two hours ago and I'm still waiting to use my phone. For some stupid reason, it wiped the thing entirely clean and is reloading all of my media, as well as going through the "optimizing photos for iPhone" process all over again with my 4,776 photos. Why it thinks it needs to do that, I do not know. I hope iTunes isn't filling up my hard drive with duplicates of my photos.

Sounds like you did a Restore, not an Update.
  • Reply 77 of 257
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    New iBooks Update is showing up in the App Store on the iPhone, with an indicator that its universal, but is not available for download yet on iPhone, only iPad.
  • Reply 78 of 257
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

I did a software update; it decided to do a restore instead.
  • Reply 79 of 257
    Quote:

No, I clicked for update as well, and it's doing exactly what he says. It is acting very much like a restore, however.
  • Reply 80 of 257
    whiteywhitey Posts: 6member
    What happened to MMS in iOS4? I know I can't be the only one missing the feature.