Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 257
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

New iBooks Update is showing up in the App Store on the iPhone, with an indicator that its universal, but is not available for download yet on iPhone, only iPad.

Cheating way to get it on: download on iPad, sync over to computer, sync onto iPod Touch or iPhone.
  • Reply 82 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I agree! My most favorite feature so far.

Mutlitasking - meh. I can see how it would be useful in a few situations, but not all apps seem to like it (hey Navigon - you need to update!). I did discover (if it was pointed out somewhere, I missed it) that if you bring up the task switcher and press and hold on an apps icon, they all "jiggle" and show a minus sign which kills that app. Very nice as some apps (like Navigon!) are obviously hogging resources if you switch away from them. I wish you could flag some apps as "never multitask - preserve pre-OS 4 functionality" in iTunes to keep this issue to a minimum.

But overall I have really enjoyed OS 4 and am really looking forward to the new iPhone on Thursday

I am a app developer and apples techs thoroughly explained the background processes to us.

NOW HEAR THIS!!!!!!!!!!:Apps in the background do not use up power or resources. They are in a suspended state.

The apple tech said hes had hundreds of apps running in the background for months and his battery life remained the same.

Trying to clear up any confusion

:-)
  • Reply 83 of 257
    shiishii Posts: 5member
    I have just started all my apps including build in ones which is 38 (almost 10 pages in task list) in total and there was no decrease in performance. I have tried browsing, switching apps and just doing random stuff.

It just works too well. How they did that?
  • Reply 84 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whitey View Post

What happened to MMS in iOS4? I know I can't be the only one missing the feature.

Read Ars Technica's review, it might answer your question.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...nd-notable.ars

Character counts, subjects in Messages

There's now a character count for the Messages app so you can see how long your SMS/MMSs are. You can activate it by going into your Settings > Messages and sliding the character count slider to "on." After that, when you're typing a message to someone, the count will show up on the right-hand side above the "Send" button:

If you choose to turn it on, there are separate fields for "Subject" and for the rest of your message. The character count doesn't show up when you type into the subject?only the message part. The phone doesn't allow you to send a message with only a subject, though you can send a message without one. The difference appears to be that a message with a subject comes through as an MMS, while one without is an SMS. (We can see this being useful if you're sending a photo or video in the body, but otherwise, not so much.)
  • Reply 85 of 257
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    iBooks now downloading as Universal App through iTunes on Mac
  • Reply 86 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shii View Post

I have just started all my apps including build in ones which is 38 (almost 10 pages in task list) in total and there was no decrease in performance. I have tried browsing, switching apps and just doing random stuff.

It just works too well. How they did that?

Lol, the charm of Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 257
    On my 2G ipod touch it backed up everything, deleted/clean installed 4.0, and is now copying/restoring all my apps, music, movies, photos, etc. <--- This is the "backup/restore" delay some posters are mentioning.

Installing iOS4 is a good reality check for this thursday if you're expecting to get your new toy and use it right away. After fighting 600k people to activate, there's still the usb 2.0 cable uploading 25gb of data to deal with...
  • Reply 88 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Same really, really slow update on my iPod touch. Over an hour so far... just to "back up" and it's about 1/8 through with that. Moof!
  • Reply 89 of 257
    whiteywhitey Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whitey View Post

What happened to MMS in iOS4? I know I can't be the only one missing the feature.

The ability to send photo's via MMS is disabled. Not able to do it through any previous ways. Pasting in an image or starting from the photo gallery.
  • Reply 90 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Read Ars Technica's review, it might answer your question.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...nd-notable.ars

Segue: This is where Safari 5's Reader excels. It loads all the pages for you.
  • Reply 91 of 257
    shiishii Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Lol, the charm of Apple.

You can't do that with charm alone

I guess its suspend to disk, I don't see any other possible way then that.
  • Reply 92 of 257
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    I downloaded the file and tried to update only to find out that the same port that is used to get to the iTunes store is the same one that's needed to verify the install - i.e. I now have a bricked phone and I'm just going to have to wait until I get home.

Crap...

Anyone have any ideas? I've the plug into iTunes screen - I've hard rebooted, soft rebooted, unplugged, plugged in, pretty much everything I can think of and every time it starts up it goes right back to that screen.

doh...
  • Reply 93 of 257
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    on my latest gen. iPod touch I noticed (with the iOS 4 update) it now has "airplane mode" for some reason. Seems redundant when I normally just switch Wi-Fi off.

anyway, whole process took <4 minutes to download and seemed like no time at all to install...

finally! loading more than one web page at a time....
  • Reply 94 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

On my 2G ipod touch it backed up everything, deleted/clean installed 4.0, and is now copying/restoring all my apps, music, movies, photos, etc. <--- This is the "backup/restore" delay some posters are mentioning.

Installing iOS4 is a good reality check for this thursday if you're expecting to get your new toy and use it right away. After fighting 600k people to activate, there's still the usb 2.0 cable uploading 25gb of data to deal with...

Lol, yeah, what I had to do with my iPad to contain my excitement (which I couldn't) was sync it for 20 minutes with some apps and movies, unplug and play for an hour, plug and add more, remove after 30 minutes and play for another hour, etc.... I finally let it finish all 64 Gbs overnight.

Fun, fun, fun...
  • Reply 95 of 257
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    3 pages and not a single reply pointing out an error in the article?

"Multitasking is only available with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS."

... and the iPod Touch 3G.
  • Reply 96 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Segue: This is where Safari 5's Reader excels. It loads all the pages for you.

Amen. That's what I was using.

Especially good for things like Snow Leopard's 26-page review, lol.
  • Reply 97 of 257
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah, it does seem like a surprise to even them and they did seem hell bent on making $500 the starting point 9for good reason).

Only being two months old and lacking features isn't anything new. The iPod Touch has been doing this since its debut. I recall getting the iPhone 3G and then buying Apple's very nice in-ear phones with the controls on the wire. I think it was the volume controls and more complex iPod functions working in all the new iPods but I had to wait nearly a year for the 3GS for the other controls to work.

In relation to the iPad, I think thatApple has misunderstood the actual love that people have for their products. It even surprised me the amount of iPad sales there were. I think Apple is now in a position where they have to deliver a new iPad in the fall, much to the chagrin of early adopters.

Even though the first model was a luxury device, I think many Mac users were trying to force this as their main portable. I think Jobs saw this, probably earlier btw, and is the reasonings behind hi comments at All Things D.

If anything Apple is trying to accelerate this process towards the iPad. I believe he thinks this is device to end the Windows monopoly. Jobs has been quoted long ago as believing that the Mac has lost the PC wars and that he would move on to the next great thing. The iPad is it.
  • Reply 98 of 257
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    update rocks. can make print bigger in texts !!!. fast. great improvement
  • Reply 99 of 257
    Loving the new iOS 4 on my 3GS, yet there are just a *few* things I was hoping for that shouldn't be that hard for Apple to implement (and they have been discussed MANY times on this forum... but hey, let's bring it up again):

- Being able to change the sound for incoming email and text messages to any custom sound I put on my iPhone. We all know that you can make your own custom ringtone with GarageBand, so why can't I do the same thing with those important notifications? A sign of the popularity of the iPhone: someone's text message noise is the same as mine, and we both check to see who got the message. Also, the incoming email notification sound is so quiet... I use my iPhone for when I'm on pager duty, and there is no way that sound will wake me up, so I have to resort to paying Rogers an extra $5/month for email-to-SMS, which also goes to my previous gripe of having a limited set of sounds for text message notifications. ;-)

- Checking for new email within sub-directories in my IMAP email account. I do all of my own inbound email filtering on my mailserver, so I don't have all of it coming into the inbox. Would be nice if the option was there to have the mail client check all sub-directories for new email.

Other than that, phenomenal job on Apple's part. My 3GS actually feels faster, and while the quick access to the iPod controls will take a bit of getting used to, I'm loving the new OS.
  • Reply 100 of 257
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Yeah, it'll be there forever, and then all of a sudden complete the rest in 2 minutes. Hold on little buddy!

Phew! It was looking like mine was going to take about 8 hours! It's at about 5% for an hour of backing up.

Thanks! I hope you're right in my case. :-)