First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vin View Post

QUOTE=hrissan:These improvements are welcome.

Unfortunately there is a GREAT downside of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 ? the device is almost unresponsive now. Voice recorder launches for 12 seconds, SMS application about 10 seconds, Maps also around 10 seconds. After upgrade if I quit Safari, write a message and return to Safari I always see it reload my Page after 10 second delay (It means Safari was purged due to low-memory condition).

I cannot run several games now (they crash) until I switch Push Messaging off freeing some memory.

Same problem for me with my iPhone 3G until I reset it. It works fine now and surprisingly faster than before. Phew!

reset it by doing what exactly, same problem!
  • Reply 162 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm doing a fresh Restore on my iPhone 3GS 16GB. Taking no risks. Will report back soon.
  • Reply 163 of 178
    just found out how to reset 3G if its really slow, hold sleep button and home button for ten secs then turn on and its alll gravy now woooo just waiting for thursday as i have a day off to go get new iphone
  • Reply 164 of 178
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrissan View Post

These improvements are welcome.

Unfortunately there is a GREAT downside of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 ? the device is almost unresponsive now. Voice recorder launches for 12 seconds, SMS application about 10 seconds, Maps also around 10 seconds. After upgrade if I quit Safari, write a message and return to Safari I always see it reload my Page after 10 second delay (It means Safari was purged due to low-memory condition).

I cannot run several games now (they crash) until I switch Push Messaging off freeing some memory.

It is clear the 128MB memory of iPhone 3G is not enough for these new features. It?s a pity, because I cannot boast my iPhone 3G to friends now. It?s not cool at all that, if you use any application and you need to reply to a SMS you spend 30 seconds for that??? (3 seconds to type the message, 20 seconds waiting application launch and 7 seconds waiting to switch keyboard layout)

It seems to me the situation is the same as in Apple ads Mac OSX gets ?faster and faster? with each update, until you compare your friend?s with iBook G4 running Tiger and your Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and you find that amazingly that ancient 5 year old machine does everything way faster! The secret is he did not update it.

You guys keep saying "No reason not to include Wallpapaer, bluetooth keyboard support, etc".

But the reason is probably MEMORY! Actually Apple could not fit the new iOS 4 into 128Mb but they really tried...

Hmmmmmmm...I'm assuming you tired rebooting the phone? I feel like with every upgrade my phone felt weird at first....Hoping that's the case for you, sounds like a real bummer
  • Reply 165 of 178
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Disappointing, but I plan to upgrade two of my devices anyway.

For those on 3G who can't see this, it allows you to tweak the available fonts for those who are vision impaired. Very nice feature. I hope it makes it's way to the earlier generation models at some point.

You might also be interested to note that over the air syncing with google calendars is supported (on all models), but you must turn it on in your mail settings.
  • Reply 166 of 178
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Something wrong with my system?

My backup is taking much longer. I tried to stop and delete all my apps on my iphone. And the backup before updating took an hour already. And i only have 500MB of things inside. Even at 5MB/s would only take 100s.......
  • Reply 167 of 178
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Something wrong with my system?

My backup is taking much longer. I tried to stop and delete all my apps on my iphone. And the backup before updating took an hour already. And i only have 500MB of things inside. Even at 5MB/s would only take 100s.......

The upgrade and restore took a very long time on the 3G. Just be patient. After the upgrade, things appear to be fine.

My 3GS has been running the beta for about a month. I didn't' experience any of the slow upgrade issues, so perhaps it's hardware related, but in the end, it will finish eventually
  • Reply 168 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    All good so far iOS4 with iBooks etc etc FUN
  • Reply 169 of 178
    reapernreapern Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Be careful. I downloaded iTunes today, from an Apple web page that had a big button that said "Download iTunes" and no other choices.

They sent me the wrong version of the software.

I had to go back and search around the site for the 64 bit version.

I assume that Apple does not carefully check the client.

what do u mean be careful???? i already did this, and ps to all those who were wondering about the build like me, its the same build, so no need to update!!!!!
  • Reply 170 of 178
    ja1rpezja1rpez Posts: 4member
    my 3gs wont update keeps saying error and when i tried to restore and update it said the same thing whats wrong?

Can someone help me
  • Reply 171 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vin View Post

QUOTE=hrissan:These improvements are welcome.

Same problem for me with my iPhone 3G until I reset it. It works fine now and surprisingly faster than before. Phew!

You reset it? So let me guess - you were running a jailbroken phone and tried to install the update then wondered why it didn't work. When you went back to doing it the way Apple told you, it worked fine.

Right?
  • Reply 172 of 178
    Jesus, I'm late for work. Why the HELL did it need to re-optimize all 15000 of my photos?

I had to cancel and now my iPod only has the thumbnails. I can't use my photos as wallpaper until I get home tonight and endure the whole slow process.
  • Reply 173 of 178
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Enjoy your Droid!

I use a 3GS.
  • Reply 174 of 178
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Jesus, I'm late for work. Why the HELL did it need to re-optimize all 15000 of my photos?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't need all your photos tonight.
  • Reply 175 of 178
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

iTunes knows best.
  • Reply 176 of 178
    mrfishmrfish Posts: 14member
    wow

camera app is way more responsive both for video and single frame captures

mail seems not to be able to check for mail or is having problems connecting to server

some apps seem to be not multitask aware i can switch from one ( imap my hike mid hike but when i go back all my info is lost )

i like the ipad type feel to it

would be nice if we could put up to 100 apps in one folder , just for games i have 3 folders already
  • Reply 177 of 178
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

The upgrade and restore took a very long time on the 3G. Just be patient. After the upgrade, things appear to be fine.

My 3GS has been running the beta for about a month. I didn't' experience any of the slow upgrade issues, so perhaps it's hardware related, but in the end, it will finish eventually

Yes a VERY long time. I'm at over 2 hours now for the install. The download was fast, but the install - I think I dozed off.
  • Reply 178 of 178
    delpexdelpex Posts: 1member
    It's interesting to see how long this new OS4 will rule the mobile OS and I wonder what will be the next "Iphone OS" killer will be.