iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 207
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    This article is blatantly wrong: the iPhone wins in every single category, because every feature that Apple adds or refuses to add in its devices is the best option for everyone and Apple's way of doing it is the only way it can or should be done, and is therefore the BEST OPTION EVAR!!!!111

• Reply 22 of 207
    sovoksovok Posts: 1member
    "Similarly, Android phone makers began introducing high resolution screens and new screen technologies (such as OLED displays) a few months ahead of Apple's iPhone 4, but failed to deliver software support that makes existing third party titles look good and properly fit the screen on all of the various different resolutions supported. Apple evenly quadrupled the iPhone's resolution, and provided developer support that automatically renders text and user interface elements within existing apps at the optimum resolution."

Uhm no.

Android had well designed support for multiple resolutions and screen densities since 1.6.

On the other hand Apple didn't double the screen size because it's a good resolution but because they had no other choice without becoming incompatible to all the existing applications since they are designed in an unflexible way.
  • Reply 23 of 207
    No offense to anyone....but I'm very happy with Apple. I think Apple is leading edge tech with an eye to usability.

I will upgrade my 3Gs after only 11 months to the 4G, stay grandfathered in with unlimited data plan (using ~4gig/month), buy a second gen iPad 3G and upgrade my iMac and MacBook when they break (both approaching their 5th year).

I really don't have any interest in getting anything from MS, Google, Dell, Motorola, Sony, HP, Linksys, Toshiba, etc., etc.,

They all had their chance and at every opportunity put out subpar offerings. I'll give them a big No Thanks!

Just wish Apple would make a flat screen TV so I don't have to d*ck around with my current TV/cable's clunky interface...

Ps. Maybe Apple could buy DishTV or Direct TV and via satellite solve the 'Go to Market' problem AppleTV has!
  • Reply 24 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

A removable battery for an EVO isn't a bonus, it's a requirement

Very funny, Rumpy!

People just don't seem to get it whether it's phones, iPods, iPads or laptops that the space saved by not having the 'removable battery' capability allows not only for a thinner design but also a larger battery and therefore more battery life....not to mention it's move earth friendly.

Best
  • Reply 25 of 207
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Your correct, the battery on mine lasts about 3 hours.

A bit shorter than most, but the EVO's battery life has a well documented bad history. Even with all of the functions turned off, and just acting as a paperweight, they couldn't get it to last in standby for more than 24 hours (14.5 hours to be exact).

http://www.switched.com/2010/06/04/s...npage_engadget

I have no doubt the battery life from the iPhone 4 will be far superior.
  • Reply 26 of 207
    Uh, the EVO has an 8MP rear camera, not a 5MP rear camera. The EVO wins in that category.
  • Reply 27 of 207
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Uh, the EVO has an 8MP rear camera, not a 5MP rear camera. The EVO wins in that category.

Remains to be seen. Anyone who takes photography seriously will tell you that megapixels are not the whole of the equation. We'll have to wait to judge the respective quality of each. This is a common mistake many of the 'iPhone killers' made. They released a spec phone, rather than a good phone.

Time will tell...
  • Reply 28 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

No "Green" for the EVO having..., HDMI out, and FM radio?

HDMI out? I didn't know that. I hope that it becomes standard on phones.
  • Reply 29 of 207
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Ha...I would only expect a super unbiased comparison on APPLEinsider.

Why isn't AT&T red in the comparison sheet?

The display really comes down to do you want large or small? Not a "red" or "green".

No "Green" for the EVO having a removable battery, HDMI out, and FM radio?

DISCLAIMER: I owned the iPhone 3G for a year as well as the 3GS for 11 months. I think I can form a valid opinion between the two. And no, the battery on an Evo does not last two hours.

What does a "valid opinion" mean?

I live in the middle of Manhattan and have no Verizon reception in my apartment. What "color" does that make Verizon?

The iPhone 4 has a far better display, that's why it's "green" The EVO has a larger screen but fewer pixels, so not nearly the same resolution.

FM radio?! Wait wasn't that the feature that was going to kill the iPod? As well as the removable battery? (and seriously virtually everyone I know has a smart phone and not a single one carries an extra battery)

For someone who supposedly has a "valid opinion" you sure haven't given any convincing arguments for switching to Android...

That's just my "valid opinion" of course.
  • Reply 30 of 207
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Let's get over the MP myth. The lens and sensor is more important for good picture. If you can't balance the sensor, lens, software you eat up storage and get a picture with a bunch of noise. I'm more interested in real world side by side picture comparison in different lighting conditions.
  • Reply 31 of 207
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Everyone keeps whining about "removable batteries".

Fact is, every phone has had removable batteries for decades.

Probably 1/100th of 1 percent of the population actually buys another battery for times when they run out of juice on the 1st.

In fact, the fact that the iPhone charges over USB ensures that it is far more easily recharged than any other phone, since you are almost always bound to be near a laptop/desktop during the normal day. The standard dock connector meant that if you have an iPod (and really, who doesn't?) you could keep one at home for charging your iPod/iPhone and one at work.

The non-removable battery has never been an issue for anyone who actually uses an iPhone.

Finally, if you really need a secondary battery, there are tons of third party options available.
  • Reply 32 of 207
    The chart is messed up. Here are just a few problems I found:

1. The iPhone's screen size is 3.5", not 3.7".

2. The Droid's camera is 5MP, not 8MP.

3. The EVO 4G's camera is 8MP, not 5MP.
  • Reply 33 of 207
    Quote:

Remains to be seen. Anyone who takes photography seriously will tell you that megapixels are not the whole of the equation. We'll have to wait to judge the respective quality of each. This is a common mistake many of the 'iPhone killers' made. They released a spec phone, rather than a good phone.

Time will tell...

Sure. But apple insider still misrepresented the megapixels of the evo's rear camera. It's 8, not 5.
  • Reply 34 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How do the android Phones stack up to the iPhone when it comes to making phone calls? These android phones are everywhere in my neck of the woods.

The EVO I'm testing isn't too bad at phone calls when it isn't spontaneously rebooting...
  • Reply 35 of 207
    The chart seems to have left out the whole 4G v. 3G thing. Sure it's not as big a difference as advertised, but according to reviews, it's a big difference nonetheless. Seems to be a pretty obvious "unique feature" to me.
  • Reply 36 of 207
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Ha...I would only expect a super unbiased comparison on APPLEinsider.

Why isn't AT&T red in the comparison sheet?

The display really comes down to do you want large or small? Not a "red" or "green".

No "Green" for the EVO having a removable battery, HDMI out, and FM radio?

DISCLAIMER: I owned the iPhone 3G for a year as well as the 3GS for 11 months. I think I can form a valid opinion between the two. And no, the battery on an Evo does not last two hours.

This is all bogus complaints specific to your experience.

The red and the green cell shading is obviously only used for items that have a clear "winner." Several don't have any red or green for that reason.

The only real argument against the way Daniel has used the colours is that the camera entry (which he has coloured green for the iPhone), would be more honestly left white. The iPhone camera is subjectively (according to most reviewers), superlative but in a hardware feature comparison on paper, the HTC EVO wins.

There is also a nomenclature mistake in the iPhone column under "processor."

It says "1 GHz Custom A4 - Cortex A8" when it should say "1 GHz Apple A4 - Custom Cortex A8"

It makes no sense to talk of a "Custom A4."
  • Reply 37 of 207
    Quote:

The higher number is always better, eh? You're the kind of consumer that companies just love...
  • Reply 38 of 207
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:

Megapixels don?t mean squat.
  • Reply 39 of 207
    Quote:

A bit shorter than most, but the EVO's battery life has a well documented bad history. Even with all of the functions turned off, and just acting as a paperweight, they couldn't get it to last in standby for more than 24 hours (14.5 hours to be exact).

http://www.switched.com/2010/06/04/s...npage_engadget

I have no doubt the battery life from the iPhone 4 will be far superior.

Interesting study. I charged mine to full yesterday afternoon and haven't touched a charger since. Did some 4G this morning, and have had Wi-Fi on all day and syncing. Still have 40% battery left right now. But to each their own.

I would like to see the iPhone get pushed like these other "battery tests" of the Evo. That is, Push e-mail for 2 accounts (I have GMail and Exchange), full brightness, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Etc. I have a feeling that's where a lot of these "horrible battery life" stories come from. I would like to see the iPhone pushed in the same way for a fair comparison. Unfortunately you won't be able to compare the 4G vs. 3G. Not sure if anyone can pin-down the power draw comparison between the screen sizes as well.
  • Reply 40 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

People just don't seem to get it whether it's phones, iPods, iPads or laptops that the space saved by not having the 'removable battery' capability allows not only for a thinner design but also a larger battery and therefore more battery life....not to mention it's move earth friendly.

What I don't get about this whole battery thing is the fact that very people use extra batteries and the few that do can more easily just plus one into the iPhone that suits your specific needs than the rigamarole of having to play musical-battery-bay with your extra battery bay with your phone, which cuts the power every time to change it, you can lose or break the cover, and you have to do it all over again just to charge them up. It's silliness.

Quote:

In the number of megapixels, sure, it has more, but that doesn't mean much if it takes worse pictures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Let's get over the MP myth. The lens and sensor is more important for good picture. If you can't balance the sensor, lens, software you eat up storage and get a picture with a bunch of noise. I'm more interested in real world side by side picture comparison in different lighting conditions.

Speaking of... Jobs mentioned the Phone 4 as having larger pixels at 1.75μm (compared to the EVO 4G's 1.1μm pixels) to grab more photons and a back-illuminated sensor (which the EVO 4G also has) for low light photos.

While these specific features for camera phone sensors were demoed from Micron Technologies back in 2007, Jobs played it up to appear as if the iPhone 4 was the first to have these features. That's fine, because the other handset vendors had long since dropped the ball by only marketing the number of pixels to consumers and now that the biggest competition are moving to the smaller pixel size it was a prime opportunity for Apple.

1.75μm is 59% larger pixles than 1.1μm, yet 8Mpx is 60% larger than 5Mpx so this is just marketing without actually being a bigger active-pixel sensor.