iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

And for all the blatant Apple fanboyism. What about listing Android's significant advantages over iPhone?

As a note, what iOS4 adds is what Android already had.\\

Some Android advantages:

- Browser:

- Calendar

- Voice recognition:.

- Turn by turn navigation:

- Widgets:

- Flash:

- Lots of smaller features

So the operating system has tons of advantages even over iOS4.

None of those are hardware advantages, are they? Note the title of the article

Quote:

Then the hardware is better. EVO is 4G. Higher resolution forward and back cameras. HDMI output. 4.3" HUGE screen while the phone is not much bigger that the iPhone.

Apple now has some serious competition. Time for them to get movin.

All of the EVO specs you mentioned are noted in the article. It's not clear that a big phone is an advantage, particularly if the screen is just the same stretched resolution with less pixel density. The rear HD camera is not better quality nor does it capture full frame rate video. The front camera has a higher resolution, but still lower frame rate.
  • Reply 82 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sovok View Post

Uhm no.

Android had well designed support for multiple resolutions and screen densities since 1.6.

On the other hand Apple didn't double the screen size because it's a good resolution but because they had no other choice without becoming incompatible to all the existing applications since they are designed in an unflexible way.

The iOS SDK offers developers access to the device screen information as well as any connected screens. Any applications that may be designed in an INflexible manner are third party apps that hardcoded 320x480 resolution numbers into their apps. So I'm sorry Sovok, but the SDK has always been flexibly designed for different resolution displays. Using the same resolution for the last three generations of iPhone was a decision to keep a same aspect-ratio, polished look and feel. And it's this very reason that iPhone 4's resolution is exactly double (640 x 960). It sets a standard for what users expect for screen real-estate and how developers should think about laying out their apps.

So enjoy your barrage of Android devices.
  • Reply 83 of 207
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Uh, the EVO has an 8MP rear camera, not a 5MP rear camera. The EVO wins in that category.

sorry guys i just had to trot out that old recess schoolyard standby. So anyway Berzerker - do you have some physical evidence that the EVO sensor with all those megpixels is better at actually taking pictures - or does it fall prey to the same issue point n shoot cams have been having where they use the smaller sensor, jack up the Mp and still end up with marginal photos?

And the rest of you Android defenders - welcome. This IS Appleinsider however and you are guests - so it behooves you to behave like guests, not piss in peoples wheaties, squat in the corner and take dumps in the potted plants. BECAUSE the more ardent, strident and shrill your claims the less convincing you are to anyone with any doubt about Android.

For example, I was out with my wife this evening. Her Razor is finally giving up the ghost and she wanted to look for a replacement. Now she has long fingernails (God bless her! *grin*) and has categorically refused to consider an iPhone, having played rather less successfully with mine over time. We stopped over to the ATT Store and reviewed the options. We looked at the small number of flip phones (her immediate preference), and then at the candy bar feature phones, and finally at the "smartphones". We played around with the Palm Pixi, with a Samsung running some version of Android a couple of Penteks and so forth. After 45 minutes of sorting out the various issues of what she wanted she turned and told me that she preferred the iPhone. Now, my wife as far as technology goes fits pretty close to that mainstream golden mean for the "average consumer" and with an initial and previously abiding desire NOT to own an iPhone. So I asked what deal was. She told me that of all the phones we looked at the iPhone simply had a better interface and very straight forward controls that she could navigate without a lot of fuss and bother.

And after having played with the Palm and the Samsung, I was VERY disappointed with the user interface on both. DISCLAIMER: I own a 1st gen iPhone. My phone is on Edge networking, it can't update to the latest iOS, and it is well, a bit past its prime. BUT - I get two days of rigorous use out of it per charge STILL, and I can get to whatever I need INSTANTLY on my iPhone. Both UI for Palm and Android took me back to the days of yor when you had to go diving for a menu to get anything to pull up, and you have to figure out - do I push a button here or use the touch screen. Now yeah, I KNOW I can sort out the controls on these - but I'm not the golden mean in the consuming public - my wife is and when she uses something for less than 10 seconds and puts it down frustrated - you know something is not right. OTOH, she picked up the iPhone, played with how she would position her fingers to work on the screen and then began flipping back and forth - in under a minute. Seriously. This dear Android fans is where the rubber meets the road. Unless Google REALLY works out the UI kinks (like those that cause HTC to put Sense in as a UI intermediary), you are going to LOSE the golden mean, you are NOT going to pull in the average consumer - and that dear brother and sisters is where the marketshare and the money is. Screw the features race. Anyone can add freakin' FM radio or a removable battery, or an hdmi connector. If your UI isn't there for the average consumer - you're done. Period.

Google and Android have a formidable obstacle with the iPhone - the HIGHEST USER SATISFACTION rating in the marketplace.

• Reply 84 of 207
    Quote:

Quote:

You seriously give the video output win to the iphone when it doesn't even support HDMI? Hello?

HDMI output would be nice, but the EVO's isn't very good, and the ability to run a regular TV or mobile projector is missing entirely on the EVO.

WAIT!!!! You mean my sony trinitron 27" CRT doesnt have an HDMI port. I better call Woolworths and ask for my money back!!!!

And by regular TV you mean???? Its 2010 and a "regular tv" will have an HDMI. I would assume if you own an EVO or iphone 4 the you probably have a TV with a HDMI port.
  • Reply 85 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

So you're required to carry around 'game cartridges' for any complex 3D games, or do such games not exist on the Android platform?

I have a small'ish list of apps and games installed, 3 of which are over 100 MB, and two of which are over 200 MB. I have about a gig total in apps and games. I would be required to 'swap out a card' to work around this issue?

As to the touch screen issues, HTC is not without blemish:

http://www.techweet.com/2010/06/15/h...hscreen-issues

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Fix-...e-a_12041.html

http://www.techalps.com/android/htc-...ty-issues.html

Nope most of the new android phones which will be getting 2.2 (with the ability to save apps to SD) have about 8gb internal and come with either 8 or 16gb cards.

And yeah HTC has big touch screen problems, no doubt about that.
  • Reply 86 of 207
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Nope most of the new android phones which will be getting 2.2 (with the ability to save apps to SD) have about 8gb internal and come with either 8 or 16gb cards.

And yeah HTC has big touch screen problems, no doubt about that.

Ok, that makes sense. If they can store graphic data, media, and whatnot, the limit seems far less...limiting.

I didn't point these out to make some point about build quality or whatnot. it was simply to point out that there are a lot of pros and cons on both sides of the argument that could have been put into the table and weren't. Simply claiming the article is biased because it doesn't list every pro of an android device doesn't make much sense, as some of these simply don't convert well to pro vs cons or they aren't meaningful to a typical end user.

I'll be very interested to see the reviews post 24th, however by that time, for me at least, they will be largely irrelevant, as I already have a pre-order and scheduled pickup on the 24th..lol.
  • Reply 87 of 207
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

AT&T isn't included in the comparison for 2 reasons:

1. it's not relevant to *hardware*

2. The US is the only country saddled with AT&T

3. Not everyone finds Verizon to be better. IMHO, they're ALL bad (just like the airlines). IIRC, about twice as many people in the country get NO service on Verizon as on AT&T. Those who have good service on both get better performance from AT&T. There is no clear winner - it depends more than anything else on where you live.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Specs aren't everything. Android and HTC look great on paper, and they do a decent job in real life. But the traditional hardware manufacturers focus too much on specs and too little on quality integration. Software developers are another issue. I like that Google et al are giving Apple a bit of pressure, and hopefully Apple will continue to keep the user experience top priority. Because when it comes down to it, iOS and the iPhone are done right, and that's not attributed to specs, but a design philosophy that produces more than fanboys- it makes faithful customers who return, and with good reason.

Google doesn't get it, either. Why do you think there are dozens of incompatible phones and phones still coming out with ancient versions of Android? Heck, phones are still being sold with Android 1.5 and no hope of getting 2.1, much less 2.2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

This article is blatantly wrong: the iPhone wins in every single category, because every feature that Apple adds or refuses to add in its devices is the best option for everyone and Apple's way of doing it is the only way it can or should be done, and is therefore the BEST OPTION EVAR!!!!111

It's really sad how the Apple-bashers have to make up crap like that because they're obviously incapable of rational debate. Lots of Apple users have chosen non-Apple products or chosen to ignore new Apple stuff. It's just that Apple stuff is so consistently good, that it usually satisfies users' needs. Too bad you'll never deal with a supplier so good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Uh, the EVO has an 8MP rear camera, not a 5MP rear camera. The EVO wins in that category.

Except for the ones that matter - quality. Look at the pixel size on the iPhone compared to the Evo. Look at the fps speed. Megapixels aren't everything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Some pundits estimate approx 50% where upgrades of existing iphone users.

Not sure what it means, just pointing it out.

It means that if the market as a whole is selling less than 50% of their phones to existing users that Apple's market share is growing - and vice versa.

Quote:

And for all the blatant Apple fanboyism. What about listing Android's significant advantages over iPhone?

None that matter - except to geeks. In terms of usability, Android is way behind - and falling further behind every day. Fragmentation is a real problem - and getting worse. The OS is hard to use. The hardware has no real advantages (as shown above)>

Quote:

Wrong. There are relatively new Android phones being sold today which use Android 1.5 - and MAYBE the ability to upgrade to 2.1 some day. Fragmentation is a very real problem - no matter how many times you try to ignore it.
  • Reply 88 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

while also incentivizing development of third party software using its high volume App Store, which actively discourages software theft.

little to protect developers from having their software "openly" stolen by users who don't want to pay for content.

This is all well and good, but as presented, it is only the author's opinion. I'd like to see some citations to back up these statements... otherwise leave them out, as they show only the author's bias!

Dick, aren't Daniel's comments pretty much a given? The App Store in fact try to encourage people to buy apps in numerous ways. Apps are signed. Apple pushes developers to use a strategy of lower prices and going for volume to get more people buying software because it's more affordable. As for the Android platform, I wouldn't say it's geared towards hobbyists but I don't know what they are doing to try and protect software from being stolen. Of course all Apple's protection goes out the window when people jailbreak.
  • Reply 89 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Dick, aren't Daniel's comments pretty much a given? The App Store in fact try to encourage people to buy apps in numerous ways. Apps are signed. Apple pushes developers to use a strategy of lower prices and going for volume to get more people buying software because it's more affordable. As for the Android platform, I wouldn't say it's geared towards hobbyists but I don't know what they are doing to try and protect software from being stolen. Of course all Apple's protection goes out the window when people jailbreak.

I responded to that one on the previous page. I believe this is what they are referring to:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...f8ac88b3&hl=en

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacman3000/4127815088/

Specifically it's about the return policy. You buy an app, immediately back it up, file for a refund, and then restore your app from backup. Walla. Free app.
  • Reply 90 of 207
    Quote:

Ok, that makes sense. If they can store graphic data, media, and whatnot, the limit seems far less...limiting.

I didn't point these out to make some point about build quality or whatnot. it was simply to point out that there are a lot of pros and cons on both sides of the argument that could have been put into the table and weren't. Simply claiming the article is biased because it doesn't list every pro of an android device doesn't make much sense, as some of these simply don't convert well to pro vs cons or they aren't meaningful to a typical end user.

I'll be very interested to see the reviews post 24th, however by that time, for me at least, they will be largely irrelevant, as I already have a pre-order and scheduled pickup on the 24th..lol.

Yeah I'm interested in the reviews as well. I have a Droid now but I'm looking at the iPhone 4 and the Droid X and weighing the pros/cons of both. I'm actually a member of this forum and an Android forum, it's funny how deeply entrenched the fanboys are on both sides. People spend way too much energy trying to validate their purchases by convincing others that their phone of choice is the best.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how anyone expected an article from a site called Apple Insider to be objective in the first place.
  • Reply 91 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

3. Not everyone finds Verizon to be better. IMHO, they're ALL bad (just like the airlines). IIRC, about twice as many people in the country get NO service on Verizon as on AT&T. Those who have good service on both get better performance from AT&T. There is no clear winner - it depends more than anything else on where you live.

Google doesn't get it, either. Why do you think there are dozens of incompatible phones and phones still coming out with ancient versions of Android? Heck, phones are still being sold with Android 1.5 and no hope of getting 2.1, much less 2.2.

It's really sad how the Apple-bashers have to make up crap like that because they're obviously incapable of rational debate. Lots of Apple users have chosen non-Apple products or chosen to ignore new Apple stuff. It's just that Apple stuff is so consistently good, that it usually satisfies users' needs. Too bad you'll never deal with a supplier so good.

Except for the ones that matter - quality. Look at the pixel size on the iPhone compared to the Evo. Look at the fps speed. Megapixels aren't everything.

It means that if the market as a whole is selling less than 50% of their phones to existing users that Apple's market share is growing - and vice versa.

None that matter - except to geeks. In terms of usability, Android is way behind - and falling further behind every day. Fragmentation is a real problem - and getting worse. The OS is hard to use. The hardware has no real advantages (as shown above)>

Wrong. There are relatively new Android phones being sold today which use Android 1.5 - and MAYBE the ability to upgrade to 2.1 some day. Fragmentation is a very real problem - no matter how many times you try to ignore it.

I said "Nope most of the new android phones which will be getting 2.2 (with the ability to save apps to SD) have about 8gb internal and come with either 8 or 16gb cards." If I'm speaking directly about phones which will be getting 2.2, what is your purpose of saying that? Regardless, 2.2 isn't out yet for my Droid but I'm still running it. Overclocked to 1ghz too, smooth! And who in the heck would buy an android phone with 1.5 when they're up to 2.1, except someone who's technologically clueless? It's like those people who buy cheap emachines PCs and then condemn PCs as a whole.
  • Reply 92 of 207
    Quote:

I believe this may be what they are referring to, specifically the return policy allows someone to purchase an app, and then immediately request a refund. They buy the app, back it up, request a refund, and then restore the app from backup.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...f8ac88b3&hl=en

http://www.androidsoftwaredeveloper....apps-problems/

Thanks for these!
  • Reply 93 of 207
    Quote:

Thanks for these!

This one also addresses the specific issue with copyright infringement, profit, and other issues with the Android Market.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacman3000/4127815088/
  • Reply 94 of 207
    Quote:

I said "Nope most of the new android phones which will be getting 2.2 (with the ability to save apps to SD) have about 8gb internal and come with either 8 or 16gb cards." If I'm speaking directly about phones which will be getting 2.2, what is your purpose of saying that? Regardless, 2.2 isn't out yet for my Droid but I'm still running it. Overclocked to 1ghz too, smooth! And who in the heck would buy an android phone with 1.5 when they're up to 2.1, except someone who's technologically clueless? It's like those people who buy cheap emachines PCs and then condemn PCs as a whole.

This is fine for techies, but what about those who just want a solution to; improve their productivity; fit into their lifestyle... I can over-clock a toaster and get perfect crumpets in .07 (ah-- maybe .13) seconds... but don't touch the toaster before, during or after the cycle!

Seriously, this argument has been going on since the 1976 Altair-- and, likely, won't be resolved for another 100 years.

I took a '40 Chevy apart (down to the bare frame, babbit in the crankshaft, etc.-- just to learn about cars... got it all running again with very few parts left over (153624).

I won't do htat again, 'cause my time is worth more than that (to me)... as my grandson says: "I have my minions do that kind of stuff!"

• Reply 95 of 207
    Quote:

This is fine for techies, but what about those who just want a solution to; improve their productivity; fit into their lifestyle... I can over-clock a toaster and get perfect crumpets in .07 (ah-- maybe .13) seconds... but don't touch the toaster before, during or after the cycle!

Seriously, this argument has been going on since the 1976 Altair-- and, likely, won't be resolved for another 100 years.

I took a '40 Chevy apart (down to the bare frame, babbit in the crankshaft, etc.-- just to learn about cars... got it all running again with very few parts left over (153624).

I won't do htat again, 'cause my time is worth more than that (to me)... as my grandson says: "I have my minions do that kind of stuff!"

I would agree that Android is more of an OS for techies, although it isnt necessary to be one (2.2 was coming to the droid regardless, its coming to all phones capable of running it I'm pretty sure) But whats wrong with that? The most powerful phones get the newest OSs for the most part, kinda like how some features are locked out of iOS for older iphones.
  • Reply 96 of 207
    Quote:

Folders: Been there since day one. And done better than iPhone. Without the silly limitation of 8 or so apps per folder.

If you are going to bring the "accuracy" card to the game - you'd better be able to play it right - it's up to 12 per folder not 8. And for the record you were the one who called for the feature pissing contest. Don't get all whiney when you are flogged with the same crap you are throwing down here. I'm running by your rules here sunshine.

Quote:

Multitasking: True its not as controlled, but its more flexible and can and is used to enable many things that simply cannot be done on the iPhone.

No supporting example. In fact just, oh what was the phrase.... ummmm..."fanboyish" , yep that fits.

Quote:

Go back to where you left off after an ad. Big deal. Android has always worked this way with its innovative 'activity' approach. For the most part each screen is an activity. You can quickly move between apps and press the back button to get back to where you were. No new special case like with iOS4.

Let's see, iAd reference I guess. And the Android ad system is much more superior how again? Just that whole "activity approach" thingy. Wow I'm actually whelmed here. And yet you laden your argument with subtle qualifiers, like "for the most part". Don't you know how it works? So you still get dumped out to a separate ad webpage and have to jump back for your gamus interuptus. Yeah soooo much better. Sorry that was just plain snarky on my part. But not a conclusive win.

Quote:

Some Android advantages:

- Browser: When I first tried Android, I thought the browser was worse than iPhone. But now that I've used it more, I realize its the opposite. Android somehow can reformat pages so that the text is displayed in large letters on the screen in a single column. On the iPhone you have to switch to landscape and pray thats big enough. Nothing else you can try. On Android it almost always works to make the text as big as you want without having to scroll horizontally. Its a HUGE improvement. Not little, HUGE.

So I see this as really subjective on your part. Especially when you lead off with the equivalent of "it really sucked at first, but once the pain subsided it was tolerable. In fact now I kinda like it. No really, I love it!" Large letter is a single column would frustrate the living daylights out of me (see - subjective analysis by me), for me that would be a negative so it's a wash here. I LIKE how Safari browses the web, like how it allows ME to decide what to view and how. Freedom AND responsibility baby - it's groovy man!

Quote:

- Calendar over the are sync with Google. Seriously Apple. Get with the times. To sync your iPhone calendar you have to get your Mac calendar up to date, then physically attach a 'cable!' to your iPhone, start up iTunes and wait for a long drawn out sync to occur. Get with the times. This is such an ancient concept. Talk about iPod 2005...

So here's the deal. I've had MobileMe for a long time now and this point is only a functional problem IF you don't have MobileMe - which many probably don't. But this brings up a whole other issue I have with Google having unfettered access to my calendar, email and other stuff. After all the ruptures, breaches, hacks and "oops - did we collect that data while we were out there?? We didn't MEAN too - really" they have lost my fundamental trust in their motivation and their ability to protect my data. They are, after all an AD company that provides all kinds of cool and neat things to consumers. Kind of like the candy house in the story of Hansel and Gretel. But we also sign off on them using our data - read the fine print.

Quote:

- Voice recognition: As part of the keyboard, anywhere you can type in text you can have Android recognize your voice. It works amazingly well. Almost eerie. I think it ties in with Google search and your location to best guess what you meant.

Well, here we are again on my point about Google intentions and their security issues. But yes, I will grant you voice recognition is cool, but the 3GS has it built in in a more limited way - so not a clear advantage, depending on your needs.

Quote:

- Turn by turn navigation: Not an add on. Not a huge one time fee nor monthly fee. Free. Included. Awesome. Works. Just works great.

I'm feeling kinda bad for you right now about all the above so, aside from being able to navigate without turn-by-turn navigation, being able to read a map and generally knowing my urban landscapes well, I'll give you Google's free turn by turn tracking of your move... I mean navigation. Yes it is very cool as a free function.

Quote:

- Widgets: Apples home screen hasn't changed at all. Android allows active widgets which display useful information like weather or stock quotes etc. on the home screen without having to manually fire up a bunch of apps.

I get the whole widgets thing, but it isn't a big selling point - I like my screen simple and relatively uncluttered. So as I am STILL feeling bad for you - I'll give you this one as well - YES, Widgets are a cool feature.

Quote:

- Flash: I hate flash. But I must admit, it is really nice when I'm able to view at least part of a flash page on my HTC Incredible. On my iPhone I'm presented with nothing. No ability at all. Flash support can come in really handle.

OK - let me restate this in your own words: "Flash: I hate Flash, ...I'm able to view ...part of a Flash page." For me Flash sucks majorly. I run Click to Flash on my Mac and wish I could install it on my work PCs as well. With the piss-poor usage of Flash on the internet to serve annoying ads at me. No. Not even. Don't even go there. The very rare few places where Flash has provided cool content doesn't make up for the volumes of dreck that spews forth from poorly configured ads. This more than anything else demonstrates the sheer desperation of Google in trying to drive their ad revenue by supporting Flash in Android. Ack.Ptoooie. Moving on.

Quote:

- Lots of smaller features which can be debated. Including the ability to refer to files. Makes sharing data between applications easy without having to invent complex new systems and unusual usability.

Sorry I'm calling foul on this statement. Lots of smaller features. Total fanboy cop-out. TOTAL. Referencing files on my smartphone - is so 20th century. It was Google's lazy-ass way of not having to come up with a better system of file management. The UI is not conducive to deep manipulation of file and directory structures, it's another layer of complexity unneeded for the average user and a total geek nectar thing.

Quote:

- Believe it or not, Android manages apps for you to allow quick switching between apps without having to worry about whats running or not. Unlike the new iOS4 where the user has to manually worry about closing apps that are running. To be fair, this confuses many Android users and many insist on using task killers, but these are unnecessary by design and slow down the system.

And so does iOS - even in 3.1.3. Just not all apps. The user doesn't have to worry about manually closing apps that are running - but can if they choose - just like in Android. And yet in the Android forums time and again problems with managing apps running in the background pile in and are discussed ad nauseam. What's even sillier is the whole "you don't need to manage your apps/ yes-yes, you need the app killer installed" disagreement among the contributors. Even "superusers" in the fora can't agree as to whether or not Android can manage things correctly!

Quote:

So the operating system has tons of advantages even over iOS4.

Then the hardware is better. EVO is 4G. Higher resolution forward and back cameras. HDMI output. 4.3" HUGE screen while the phone is not much bigger that the iPhone.

Apple now has some serious competition. Time for them to get movin.

I have addressed every point you made, even gave you a couple, so this whole, "So the operating system has tons of advantages even over iOS4" statement is crap. Seriously crap. Not tons not even pounds. Ounces here and there - maybe.

And that 4G thing. Wow! On the 4th largest network in 13 markets nationwide! Oh, wait did you see all the reports about what that 4G access does to your battery life? No? OK.

NOT higher resolution cameras - let's be accurate here - higher megapixel cams - yes. Resolution is not solely determined by Mp, in fact it's only one of several parts of the determination. So no on that as well.

HDMI output? Again, like the whole FM radio thing, where's the actual (versus perceived) value in this. I can put an HDMI output system in my car, but what the heck good is that for my everyday use of it? But hey - let me give you that one too. You have HDMI output on the EVO.

Now let's have you address the security and privacy issues that are endemic to partnering yourself with Google. You have been assimilated. Your data is NOT your own, you have agreed, with every app you use, to share your personal data with Google. What will you do when all that data gets hacked, or used in a way that is not in your own best interest? What feature will you claim then?

I'm happy you are happy with your EVO. You should continue to be happy with it, enjoy it, use it. But don't sully your experience with tossing off a bunch of nonsense in the fora about it being clearly and monumentally superior it every way imaginable to an iPhone.

Because it's not.

• Reply 97 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Look at the "Carrier" section of the chart. Orange and Softbank aren't on there. This is a US-focused article. 4G is niche? I wonder if you'll be saying that in June 2011 when the next iPhone comes out.

is an early limited implementation in the 4th largest carrier in the US - 13 WHOLE markets supported in. Wow. And what kind of comment is "wait until 2011!"?

By now even my sainted mother knows that 4G is being implemented by the two largest carriers in the US (ATT & Verizon) between now and 2012. And in the meantime there will be a score or so more phones released, Sprint will stumble along with their non-standard WiMax implementation of 4G, sucking the life out of hapless smartphone batteries - but fortunately only in those few lucky markets. Hopefully Orange and Softbank have a more energy-efficient implementation underway.

• Reply 98 of 207
    babiasubabiasu Posts: 12member
    Quote:

- Calendar over the are sync with Google. Seriously Apple. Get with the times. To sync your iPhone calendar you have to get your Mac calendar up to date, then physically attach a 'cable!' to your iPhone, start up iTunes and wait for a long drawn out sync to occur. Get with the times. This is such an ancient concept. Talk about iPod 2005...

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252
  • Reply 99 of 207
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    when i saw the headline for this article i knew the comments would devolve into spec squabbling. Dan didn't help the way he framed the piece.

consumers don't buy specs (tho gadget heads do), they buy results. for the camera, for example, the bottom line is how easy is it to use, how practical in real life everyday situations, and how good the resulting photos and videos. i don't mean the megabits, i mean how they look! great specs can be hard to use, they can be missing or poorly implementing the convenience features that are really useful (starting with focus and exposure), and weak links in other parts of their hardware and software chain can result in ultimate lower quality results than the specs alone would support in theory.

and then there is the "what can i do with it?" part of photos and videos. which gets into apps and ecosystems and all that, and the ease of use to do it and the final quality that results.

likewise the display screen. it's not just dpi. it's the quality of viewing in all light conditions and angles. it's the accuracy and responsiveness of the touch controls. it's the durability and scratch resistance of the glass and assembly.

specs alone are shallow thinking.
  • Reply 100 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Why isn't AT&T red in the comparison sheet?

The display really comes down to do you want large or small? Not a "red" or "green".

No "Green" for the EVO having a removable battery, HDMI out, and FM radio?

DISCLAIMER: I owned the iPhone 3G for a year as well as the 3GS for 11 months. I think I can form a valid opinion between the two. And no, the battery on an Evo does not last two hours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

AT&T doesn't suck for everyone, everywhere.

And who says an a removable battery, HDMI out, and an FM Radio are great, useful features that everyone wants?

Especially if you add THICKER (removable batter), video for only the latest displays (HDMI), and Radio (crappy FM radio) to the box.

Oh. I forgot to add 4G is selected cities. A very few selected cities.

I have a 3GS and will buy another iPhone next year when my contract is up, so I like it all and am relatively happy. But let's be fair - if the iPhone 4 came with an FM radio, HDMI ouput and 4G - even in only a handful of cities you (Eriamih) and many others would tout it all as a major and welcome upgrade. I think Sprint's 4G is shady also and false advertising and I don't care about an FM tuner, but the HDMI is a cool addition. And if Apple added the above features I'd welcome 'em. So, it's cool to like/love your iPhone, but also recognize there is always room for improvement and competition pushes everyone to further develop.

I am already looking for to the 2011 iPhone when I'll be eligible without paying a hefty upgrade fee.