iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

Comments

• Reply 101 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is fine for techies, but what about those who just want a solution to; improve their productivity; fit into their lifestyle... I can over-clock a toaster and get perfect crumpets in .07 (ah-- maybe .13) seconds... but don't touch the toaster before, during or after the cycle!

Seriously, this argument has been going on since the 1976 Altair-- and, likely, won't be resolved for another 100 years.

I took a '40 Chevy apart (down to the bare frame, babbit in the crankshaft, etc.-- just to learn about cars... got it all running again with very few parts left over (153624).

I won't do htat again, 'cause my time is worth more than that (to me)... as my grandson says: "I have my minions do that kind of stuff!"

LOL Always cracking me up.
  • Reply 102 of 207
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    its NOT just about the hardware silly duh

It's about apps: (not so much the hard ware), why are folks so fixated only on hardware is beyond me. The success of iPhone vs Android clones will play out depending on how each competes in terms of how well they integrate hardware and software and how fast they can update their respective OS and control the experience. Also a factor will be how each company responds to hacking.

Google is trying to go after the mobile market by getting users to hit on their ad revenue cash cow via the browsers. Unfortunately this is a flawed business model on a smart phone and they know it. But they are desperate to get as many phones out there as possible to attempt to thwart Apple before Apple monopolizes the entire smart phone marketplace. Google has to get apps out there that link to Google's adMob. Likewise Apple is doing the same with iAd. the game is just getting started.

The name of the game is getting apps to stay active while the app user finds information within the app. (not click way to a browser). Apple is attempting to make the interface seamless in their usual slick way. If Android cannot make this seamless which is likely? they are going to lose out .

Jobs even mentioned that something like 70%? of the time users go to an app to find information not a web browser. This will kill Google if they don't find a way of getting users to click on embedded ads to google. This is the reason iAd and Admob are such crucial players in this new market place. The next 2-3 years should see this high stakes battle play out. Perhaps though both Apple and Google will split this market between them. Place your bets gentlemen.
  • Reply 103 of 207
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    I know Apple is good at integrating everything well with both hardware and software. However, I still feel like this article is a little bias in regards to Android. I mean, sure it may not always tie-in well compared to Apple, but at least the stuff works.

Give it time. Android was released a year after the iPhone so it'll take a little a while for things to polish. Same thing can be said with iOS. I still remember the old 1.x and 2.x days; when Apple was less obsessive over control. Not even the apps looked all that great, honestly.

So, while Android's features may not be as perfect when compared to iPhone, at least there giving it to you the best they can. Again, like iOS, it'll improve. I really have no idea how well that'll sink in with everyone knowing the sudden Google hate and sudden fanboy love over yet another OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

HDMI?? Honesty... it's a phone.

Agreed. HDMI seems like total over kill. Never understood why anyone would want one on a PHONE.
  • Reply 104 of 207
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How do the android Phones stack up to the iPhone when it comes to making phone calls? These android phones are everywhere in my neck of the woods.

Having owned an HTC Desire for a week and having an iPhone for a couple of years, I can say that the iPhone is best for making phone calls.

The "Favourite"contacts system on Android (at least HTC Sense) is stupid, as it lists the favourite contacts in alphabetical order only. I want them in a specific order I define, most important/often called first.

And Adroid as a whole was a bit of a mess (granted I only had 2.1, but didn't like it that much).
  • Reply 105 of 207
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Dear Apple Store Customer,

You recently received a Shipment Notification email from Apple advising you that your iPhone has shipped.

This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd. Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep.

In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status web site.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team

My iPhone 4 arrived in Oakland, CA 10:00 PM yesterday.

I suspect that FedEX is backed up with deliveries and got special dispensation for the day-early deliveries.

• Reply 106 of 207
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i bought a Nexus One for AT&T, used it for 3 days, and returned it. Once you use an iPhone and get used to what it can do with the apps, it is IMPOSSIBLE to switch. I also was a Palm Pre early adopter, that phone lasted 3 weeks before it went back.. my iPhone 4 will be here Thursday and i will never ever leave again.
  • Reply 107 of 207
    Now I'm just as guilty as the next when it comes to the hardware specs "discussion". No one will ever be won over to one side of the fence, especially on an Apple-centric forum. But, I do feel someone brought up a good point earlier in regards to how would people react if the iPhone got some of the "unique features" that the Evo got and vice versa. The iPhone faithful would then defend those features....

FM Radio... "Ahh Steve Jobs, you finally have thought about our lack of network service and I can now listen to my favorite morning show without needing to worry about going over my data allotment or being in a 3G service area."

SD slot... "Finally I can share photos with someone on the go, or trade music quickly with someone else. We all know I can only sync music from one machine to my iPhone. So if I download some music when away from my home machine, now I can listen to it!"

HDMI out... "Steve is so forward thinking! He's well aware that the new standard in HD input is HDMI. We all have them in our HDTVs at home and can now with one cord share both audio and video when at the next family gathering!"

And if the Apple faithful had to "look down" upon the unique features it is actually receiving (if the Evo had them):

802.11n... "Not many networks I actually connect to throughout the day are even 802.11n. It really doesn't help anyways as I can't sync over Wi-Fi. As long as it's faster than 3G and uses less battery it's fine with me."

6-axis motion gyro... "The iPhone games right now are the best on the market. I'm not sure this addition could make them much better. Besides, the Android Market hasn't yet made a great game that wasn't an iPhone clone."

Noise Cancellation.... "I guess I don't understand this feature. You can make calls on this thing? It's never worked for me."

• Reply 108 of 207
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

I said "Nope most of the new android phones which will be getting 2.2 (with the ability to save apps to SD) have about 8gb internal and come with either 8 or 16gb cards." If I'm speaking directly about phones which will be getting 2.2, what is your purpose of saying that? Regardless, 2.2 isn't out yet for my Droid but I'm still running it. Overclocked to 1ghz too, smooth! And who in the heck would buy an android phone with 1.5 when they're up to 2.1, except someone who's technologically clueless? It's like those people who buy cheap emachines PCs and then condemn PCs as a whole.

That's nice. You managed to miss the entire point, but feel free to brag about your overclocked phone.

The point is that Android has a major problem in that there's no consistency. Some phones can do A, but not B. Some phones can't do C, but might be able to with an update. Other phones can never do C, but have this really cool feature, D.

Talking about what Android phones will do is a losing battle from the start - because there's no such thing as a standard Android phone. Rather, you can only talk about what a specific phone will do - but Android people don't do that because they only way they can get credibility is to lump ALL Android phones together - and even then they can't catch up to iPhones.

Most Android phones on the market will never have the 'high end' software features you're bragging about. So either limit yourself to one phone and talk about how great that phone is compared to the iPhone or settle for the fact that if you want to consolidate a lot of phones that most of them are missing the features you're bragging about.

Quote:

I would agree that Android is more of an OS for techies, although it isnt necessary to be one (2.2 was coming to the droid regardless, its coming to all phones capable of running it I'm pretty sure)

That claim is silly - and demonstrably false. Many, many phones capable of running newer versions of Android don't have them. My daughter's Backflip is capable of running 2.1 but there's no sign of it on the horizon. Most phones capable of running 2.2 don't have an upgrade available, either. It's not enough for Android 2.2 to be out; you also need the phone manufacturer AND the carrier to support it - and that's happening at a snail's pace.
  • Reply 109 of 207
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How do the android Phones stack up to the iPhone when it comes to making phone calls? These android phones are everywhere in my neck of the woods.

Only an iPhone user would ask this question. Everyone elses mobile phone has had no trouble making calls for the last 10 years. iPhone users obviously don't take this for granted. Hey, but your phone looks cool, and you can play your with your apps while other people are making calls.
  • Reply 110 of 207
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Uh, the EVO has an 8MP rear camera, not a 5MP rear camera. The EVO wins in that category.

Are you serious? Good god.
  • Reply 111 of 207
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What is with this site an Android people? Who are you and why are you here? Nobody cares what you think, about your own phone, or the iPhone.

The AI chart was a great look at the basics, hardware wise. Software, there is no comparison. Apple's software ecosystem is decades ahead, and if you don't realize that, the iPhone probably isn't for you in the first place. So, no point in being here!
  • Reply 112 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

its NOT just about the hardware silly duh

It's about apps: (not so much the hard ware), why are folks so fixated only on hardware is beyond me. The success of iPhone vs Android clones will play out depending on how each competes in terms of how well they integrate hardware and software and how fast they can update their respective OS and control the experience. Also a factor will be how each company responds to hacking.

Google is trying to go after the mobile market by getting users to hit on their ad revenue cash cow via the browsers. Unfortunately this is a flawed business model on a smart phone and they know it. But they are desperate to get as many phones out there as possible to attempt to thwart Apple before Apple monopolizes the entire smart phone marketplace. Google has to get apps out there that link to Google's adMob. Likewise Apple is doing the same with iAd. the game is just getting started.

The name of the game is getting apps to stay active while the app user finds information within the app. (not click way to a browser). Apple is attempting to make the interface seamless in their usual slick way. If Android cannot make this seamless which is likely? they are going to lose out .

Jobs even mentioned that something like 70%? of the time users go to an app to find information not a web browser. This will kill Google if they don't find a way of getting users to click on embedded ads to google. This is the reason iAd and Admob are such crucial players in this new market place. The next 2-3 years should see this high stakes battle play out. Perhaps though both Apple and Google will split this market between them. Place your bets gentlemen.

I don't think Google is using android primarily for mobile abs in the browser, I can personally tell you that mobile web abs go largely unnoticed. If google is pushing them...Because I can't remember seeing any, which means if they are doing that approach they sure aren't doing a very good job! I think their major gain from this is the data collected from their Android "minions" day to day usage, making their lives easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Having owned an HTC Desire for a week and having an iPhone for a couple of years, I can say that the iPhone is best for making phone calls.

The "Favourite"contacts system on Android (at least HTC Sense) is stupid, as it lists the favourite contacts in alphabetical order only. I want them in a specific order I define, most important/often called first.

And Adroid as a whole was a bit of a mess (granted I only had 2.1, but didn't like it that much).

Lolwut? A week with one android phone (of many) and you're qualified to say that the iPhone is better? Ok. The favorites contacts list on mine is the most frequent callers and not in alphabetical order. I have a Droid, btw.

Having messed around with my friend's iphone since the 3G launched and my Droid since this november, I've always managed to have better service than him (verizon vs AT&T). I've never heard of the actual "phone" part of the iPhone being touted as a major strongpoint.

In terms of software, I find google's voice recognition software better for voice commands to make a call. Other than that I'd say they're about equal in the process of making a call. Service/Signal strength will obviously differ by provider and device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Now I'm just as guilty as the next when it comes to the hardware specs "discussion". No one will ever be won over to one side of the fence, especially on an Apple-centric forum. But, I do feel someone brought up a good point earlier in regards to how would people react if the iPhone got some of the "unique features" that the Evo got and vice versa. The iPhone faithful would then defend those features....

FM Radio... "Ahh Steve Jobs, you finally have thought about our lack of network service and I can now listen to my favorite morning show without needing to worry about going over my data allotment or being in a 3G service area."

SD slot... "Finally I can share photos with someone on the go, or trade music quickly with someone else. We all know I can only sync music from one machine to my iPhone. So if I download some music when away from my home machine, now I can listen to it!"

HDMI out... "Steve is so forward thinking! He's well aware that the new standard in HD input is HDMI. We all have them in our HDTVs at home and can now with one cord share both audio and video when at the next family gathering!"

And if the Apple faithful had to "look down" upon the unique features it is actually receiving (if the Evo had them):

802.11n... "Not many networks I actually connect to throughout the day are even 802.11n. It really doesn't help anyways as I can't sync over Wi-Fi. As long as it's faster than 3G and uses less battery it's fine with me."

6-axis motion gyro... "The iPhone games right now are the best on the market. I'm not sure this addition could make them much better. Besides, the Android Market hasn't yet made a great game that wasn't an iPhone clone."

Noise Cancellation.... "I guess I don't understand this feature. You can make calls on this thing? It's never worked for me."

This is obvious, its actually on both sides. Fanboys never appreciate a feature until its on their phone. It's "useless" until their phone gets it. I remember that from when I used to have a Blackberry. The BlackBerry Storm users tried to convince themselves and everyone else that wifi was useless, unnecessary, and would kill the battery. Until the Storm 2 released it and they found it to be the best thing ever.
  • Reply 113 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I'd be more impressed with Sprint's WiMax if I wasn't a former WiMax (Xohm) customer...right up until I realized that Sprint decided not to cover BWI airport with WiMax signal. Given that BWI doesn't have free wireless it's an epic fail for a new deployment not to cover the major airport in a major launch city.

The current Sprint WiMax isn't any faster than what AT&T will deploy with HSPA+ soon if you use T-Mobile's HSPA+ build out as a guide.

"Sprint’s WiMAX topped out at around 4,066 kbps download and 978kbps upload speeds, but other tests conducted gave them speeds somewhere near 748 kbps down and 60 kbps up. That’s a pretty drastic range of speeds, but we’ll take em’! Sprint’s WiMAX networked averaged out to 2,785 kbps down, and 589 kbps up."

" T-Mobile’s HSPA+ hit speeds up to 5,442 kbps down, and 1,888 kbps up. On the lower end of their tests, T-Mo came out with 976 kbps down and 938 kbps up, averaging the tests out gives HSPA+ speeds around 2,960 kbps down and 1,283 kbps up."

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/04...bile-hspa.html

Since both are in their build out phases the comparison is pretty fair. I got around 4 Mbps with one of the Xohm home base stations with a external antenna. If the iPhone 4 can manage around 4 Mbps on the 7.2 HSPA radio that's pretty much parity. That's a big if on AT&T's network but they have been adding backhaul capability and real-world 4-5 Mbps on the top end has been seen in other 7.2 HSPA markets. Shame we don't have HSPA+ radios in the iP4.
  • Reply 114 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's nice. You managed to miss the entire point, but feel free to brag about your overclocked phone.

The point is that Android has a major problem in that there's no consistency. Some phones can do A, but not B. Some phones can't do C, but might be able to with an update. Other phones can never do C, but have this really cool feature, D.

Talking about what Android phones will do is a losing battle from the start - because there's no such thing as a standard Android phone. Rather, you can only talk about what a specific phone will do - but Android people don't do that because they only way they can get credibility is to lump ALL Android phones together - and even then they can't catch up to iPhones.

Most Android phones on the market will never have the 'high end' software features you're bragging about. So either limit yourself to one phone and talk about how great that phone is compared to the iPhone or settle for the fact that if you want to consolidate a lot of phones that most of them are missing the features you're bragging about.

That claim is silly - and demonstrably false. Many, many phones capable of running newer versions of Android don't have them. My daughter's Backflip is capable of running 2.1 but there's no sign of it on the horizon. Most phones capable of running 2.2 don't have an upgrade available, either. It's not enough for Android 2.2 to be out; you also need the phone manufacturer AND the carrier to support it - and that's happening at a snail's pace.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/m...-update-in-q3/

A major issue with the backflip is AT&T has their own tinkering to do with the OS (banning apps from outside the Android market, removing tethering, and other feature removal)

Anyway, the same issue exists across generations with iPhones. They don't all "just work" the same with the newest software.

And yes, there is fragmentation. I wouldn't exactly say Android was better for average consumers. If you aren't aware that your phone is a low tier phone, you're going to have issues. All of the "high end" phones are getting 2.2 or have had it leaked (for the purposes of the average consumer leaks are irrelevant though). Unlike the iPhone, you can't just pick it up and expect it to be the same. You can pick up two phones and they'll have completely different features at times, which can be a positive and a negative. But people who are up to date with tech (not the average consumer) would know this. I'd lump most Android users with the people who jailbreak their iPhones--people who like to mess with their phone just for the hell of it.

Google is actually working on removing the need for all the custom UIs from the new Gingerbread OS, which should solve this issue kind of. Everyone will be able to get the newest software at once, but just like the iphone they wont all necessarily be able to fully use it on their new phones.

You take issue with the fact the all the phones have different features, but I don't see that as a negative (except I agree on the premise that it makes updating phones much slower). I like having the option to choose based on features I want (I know we all like the iPhone here but lets not pretend it does EVERYTHING--although for some individual's purposes it very well may). This can lead to bad purchases and ruin the opinion of android though, like windows. Apple never has this problem because by dictating what the consumer wants they dont have room for error. That works for them very well, not so much with people who like to endlessly alter their devices. Apple is smart to avoid fragmentation. Various options allow too much room for consumers to choose, and unfortunately the average consumer isn't too tech savvy. People will probably buy the backflip after seeing the "Droid" commercials, and frankly the backflip plain sucks. I'm not sure why anyone would buy it willingly (in your case I'm sure it's because you have an iphone and got an android phone based on provider, AT&T's android offerings are complete crap).

Oh and BTW I'm not an "Android person". I'm a "whoever offers me the best phone for my needs at the time" person. I have no company allegiance.
  • Reply 115 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

A removable battery for an EVO isn't a bonus, it's a requirement

haha. it should come with a spare!
  • Reply 116 of 207
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Oh and BTW I'm not an "Android person". I'm a "whoever offers me the best phone for my needs at the time" person. I have no company allegiance.

Really? because it sure doesn't look that way.
  • Reply 117 of 207
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

AT&T isn't included in the comparison for 2 reasons:

1. it's not relevant to *hardware*

2. The US is the only country saddled with AT&T

Yes, but for instance here in The Netherlands we are stuck with T-Mobile which over here has the worst coverage of all (KPN and Vodafone are best). Were it not for T-mobile coverage (which is so bad they were recently forced to pay compensation to customers), I would have bought an iPhone already.
  • Reply 118 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

... , and the PenTile display.

Thank you for the link! So much for "Retina Display Misleading Advertisement"
  • Reply 119 of 207
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

AppleInsider can provide good information. Good rumors. But it seems so increasingly biased towards Apple products that it loses all semblance of credibility. Even Apple's website is more balanced. If AppleInsider becomes nothing but an Apple cheerleader, it loses relevance and people will eventually ignore it as a source of news.

For the moment this isn't happening because not enough people recognize the inaccuracies presented. But this is a sure way to narrow down your audience.

The article is full of unsupported innuendo indicating the vast superiority of iPhone over Android while contradicting itself at the same time.

"Certainly, a three month cycle in new Android phones is going to be difficult to sustain."

Why? Its not one company doing it. Its practically every company other than Apple (HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Dell, Acer, Garmin, etc.). So the entire phone industry is incapable of producing a new phone every 3 months??? Have you looked at how often phones are introduced?

Making the case the iPhone is better by saying, "a feature only a few of the fanciest Android phones have."??? Doesn't that automatically mean that the best Android phones DO have the feature? How does that make the iPhone better? What... you want to compare the iPhone against the lowest Android phones? Are you calling Android phones 'fancy'? Compared to the iPhone???

The outrageous biased line, "The HTC Incredible only supports basic composite video output (putting it on the technical sophistication of the 5G iPod from 2005)". While you admit that this is also the same technology used in the iPhone 3GS which Apple still sells from 2010! Nice to cherry pick 2005 technology when complaining about Android but not the currently shipping iPhone!

And the table is just too funny. You could have made valid points, but degenerated into silliness.

For the camera, EVO wins on 8MP (vs 5mp), dual flash (vs. single), 1.3mp front facing camera (vs VGA), yet you somehow give the iPhone the win based on a higher frame rate. I've NEVER seen Apple publish 40fps. They say 30. I've never seen EVO claim 20fps. I've seen 24. Why stretch the truth if the truth would make the point anyway?

Display, you misstate the size of the iphone display as 3.7" when its 3.5" and give it the edge over the huge gorgeous 4.3" screen of the EVO. Why? Apparently because it has higher resolution than anyone can see. Hmmm...

You seriously give the video output win to the iphone when it doesn't even support HDMI? Hello?

Unique features? Never occurred to mention 4G coverage with up to 10x the speed of AT&T's network not to mention better 3G coverage than AT&T. Hmmm.

So many poor statements, "App Store, which actively discourages software theft. ". Like Android market encourages software theft? That is total BS. Android does protect developers against software theft. This is an unfounded untrue statement.

iOS4 abstracts hardware differences? Ya right. Thats why the screen had to double in size each way. Because there is no abstraction for the screen size. Android does handle varying screen sizes, resolutions and aspect ratios. Something that Apple has not yet built into their design but will eventually have to.

I should mention that I develop iPhone and Android applications and have owned an iPhone for 2 years.

STOP!!! The truth is hurting my Apple-fanboy ears.
  • Reply 120 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Does anyone know if these other devices have a book store?

There exist literally hundreds of online ebook stores, including Amazon.