Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 201 of 257
    ded48ded48 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Gave it one last try and broke through. Phone is backing up now so not long to wait to try out the new OS!

I tried one more time too and it's installing now. Sweet success!!
  • Reply 202 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sycondavey View Post

I can not use many applications on my iPad as they require iOS 4.

Who is writing iPad apps that require iOS 4? Developers know that the OS for the iPad will not be updated till Autumn.
  • Reply 203 of 257
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

No, of course you haven't.

the reason?

you have been, & are being, brainwashed by thee dominant paradigm...

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

checking out from this site, checking out from on-line. Gh0d help you all.

Seriously & humorously,

me. 23 Skidoo.... my lovely peeps

<bounce> </bounce>
  • Reply 204 of 257
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    updated about 5 hours ago. downloaded from the link that solipsism provided on the first page. got the file down in about 10mins, ran the update on my 3GS and that was finished in under 10mins.

no problems so far, though haven't dug deep into it yet. definitely can feel 'teh snappy' of iOS4 on the 3GS, however

• Reply 205 of 257
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

you know neither know how to spell

You know neither know how to use CAPITAL LETTERS IN YOUR DIATRIBE. Who are you to criticize when you can't even hit the shift key or don't proofread your own work?

CYA!
  • Reply 206 of 257
    aedwardsaedwards Posts: 15member
    Did the format of the iTunes database change again for iOS 4? I put iOS 4 on my 2G iPod Touch last night, now it doesn't work with the iPod integration in my car (2009 Ford Fiesta) , says there's no tracks on it.

Looks like I'll be putting 3.1.whatever back on tonight.

Can I use the same IPSW file on 2G and 3G iPod Touches? I need a bigger iPod, so I'm thinking I'll get a 32 or 64 gig 3G now rather than wait for the new one, but it might come with iOS 4 now.

If not, has anyone got the lPSW for the latest version of 3.1 for a 3G iPod Touch?
  • Reply 207 of 257
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Boy oh boy it sure it slow on the iPhone 3G, who killed my performance? And of course you can't roll back. They really should make it possible to roll back, even if only for people with out-of-date hardware such as myself. But overall it looks like an excellent update, if you've got the hardware for it.
  • Reply 208 of 257
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Tough, tough problem.

Folders are so useful and needed really bad. But boy do they look ugly! The finest UI all over the world is now spoiled for ever...

Mail is displaying some weird instabilities when dealing with push accounts. Have to look deeper in that.

Good for us we now can give all that bazaar a try before iPhone 4 actually arrives.

P.S. No visible impact on performance of 3G so far.
  • Reply 209 of 257
    tombecktombeck Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

- Hate, hate, hate folders! I don't need em, and I wish I could turn them off. It's almost impossible to re-arrange the icons now.

don't use them, then.

Quote:

- Hate the background images. If they were going to do that, they could at least have left the black option (and maybe added white).

select a black background picture and forget about it.

Quote:

- Hate multi-tasking. Had no use for it before, and now it's just something extra to worry about for an OCD type like myself. I'm spending huge amounts of time checking out what's running now.

don't double-click, then. use your phone like before.

apps are not running in the background, and "killing" them in the task switcher will do nothing. just don't double-click and live happily as before, everything will be the same.

seriously.
  • Reply 210 of 257
    Still no complete AVRCP bluetooth profile! Play/Pause is nice, but why not finish the job properly and give us skip/previous as well?
  • Reply 211 of 257
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Folders GUI: betting we'll have some generic folder icons and a way to make our own in next release.

Data point: about 1 hour to download and install on ipod touch with 25 gigs of "stuff" on it.

Has anyone succeed in pairing an apple Bluetooth keyboard?
  • Reply 212 of 257
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Great overview on Macworld

iOS 4: What you need to know

http://www.macworld.com/article/1521...d_to_know.html
  • Reply 213 of 257
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

No, of course you haven't.

the reason?

you have been, & are being, brainwashed by thee dominant paradigm...

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

checking out from this site, checking out from on-line. Gh0d help you all.

Seriously & humorously,

me. 23 Skidoo.... my lovely peeps

<bounce> </bounce>

He he he... dude, you're radical! (but I like it)

• Reply 214 of 257
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Updated my 3GS last night and man does this update scream. It took about 6 or 7 times trying but when it finally got through, the whole process took about 30+ minutes. (I removed all my video before updating) Sure there are a few things I can nitpick on, but I won't. The performance bump alone makes me feel like I have a whole new phone.

Way to go Apple!

PS. TV Shows FINALLY are in proper sorting order!!!
  • Reply 215 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

Not true. I was excited when I first saw this post because I once put my 3GS in field test mode and couldn't figure out how to get this "REAL SIGNAL" turned off. I thought it would finally go away when I upgraded to 4.0. Alas, I'm on 4.0 now and I still have this REAL SIGNAL toggle. If anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know.
  • Reply 216 of 257
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Updated my 3GS last night and man does this update scream. It took about 6 or 7 times trying but when it finally got through, the whole process took about 30+ minutes. (I removed all my video before updating) Sure there are a few things I can nitpick on, but I won't. The performance bump alone makes me feel like I have a whole new phone.

Way to go Apple!

PS. TV Shows FINALLY are in proper sorting order!!!

Haven't gotten around to updating my old (and after buying an iPad almost unused) Touch... Was the update free? OS 3 was about ten bucks, but was well worth it.

Yeah, this is a fantastic update. Could almost think about canceling my iPhone 4 order, but nah, I want it.

Can't wait until they have iOS 4 ready for iPad; it will make an awesome device even more awesome.

---

One game I have, Pool, stutters a little in iOS 4. Probably just something tat needs tweaking...
  • Reply 217 of 257
    Quote:

Not true. I was excited when I first saw this post because I once put my 3GS in field test mode and couldn't figure out how to get this "REAL SIGNAL" turned off. I thought it would finally go away when I upgraded to 4.0. Alas, I'm on 4.0 now and I still have this REAL SIGNAL toggle. If anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know.

It would take a while but you could try restoring to factory settings and then updating again...
  • Reply 218 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Haven't gotten around to updating my old (and after buying an iPad almost unused) Touch... Was the update free?

Yes! Free for all.
  • Reply 219 of 257
    Quote:

Yes! Free for all.

Sweet.
  • Reply 220 of 257
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fzpuente View Post

Is anyone else having issues with their pictures being all fuzzy on their iPhone now?

I have a 16gb 3GS, and now every single one of the pictures looks grainy and fuzzy.

My camera roll is OK, but a folder I made of older pics (all of which have looked fine for the past 3 years on my iPhone) are sudenly all blurry... I did some Google searches and found nothing....Tonight I'm going to resynch... Maybe it's as simple as removing the folder from the phone and re-installing...A couple of the pics that were really important to me, I just re-emailed to myself and saved to the camera roll...Either way, very strange bug...