Apple e-mail says iPhone 4 will deliver a day early, on June 23

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An official e-mail from Apple sent to iPhone 4 purchasers specifically states that delivery of the handset will occur a day early, on June 23.

Suggesting it is not a mistake or typo, the e-mail includes the date June 23 a total of three times. That's a day earlier than Apple's previously announced release date of June 24.

"This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd," the official note reads. "Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep."

It continues, "In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status website at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus.";

If the iPhone 4 really is set to deliver a day early, it would be a strange move for Apple, which in the past has gone out of its way to ensure that its announced launch date is held. When the iPad was launched, the devices began shipping a week early, but sat for days at the UPS Worldport hub in Louisville, Ken., awaiting the April 3 launch date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    This is the phone that is going to substantially change the whole ballgame--AGAIN!

Face Time is going to be very significant for so many, and will leave the competition seriously hard pressed to come up with a viable alternative.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I got that email and I thought it was weird but I am very happy about it. My phone left Alaska yesterday and will very likely get here on the 23rd. My hopes are up for sure.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This is the phone that is going to substantially change the whole ballgame--AGAIN!

Face Time is going to be very significant for so many, and will leave the competition seriously hard pressed to come up with a viable alternative.

Once it is opened up to more than just iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 (the Wifi thing, while frustrating, is understandable), I will agree with your statement. As many iPhone 4's as there will be, I would like to be able to video chat from my phone to my wife, who is using a MacBook Pro. I don't understand how Apple couldn't have opened this up to at least iChat from the start, but that was their choice. The Evo's video chat, while not as integrated, does give users more options to chat to PC's, Macs, other phones, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    I got this email about 2 am eastern time. I thought it was just an auto-generated thing. It'd be nice if my phone got here tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. As far as I know, it's still in Anchorage, AK.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Makes sense with 600k iPhones pre-sold... they can spread the load on the activation servers at both Apple and ATT over 2-days.

I will say, I was presently surprised how well Apple's servers kept up with iOS 4 downloads and app store update requests yesterday. ATT could learn a thing or two.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Makes sense with 600k iPhones pre-sold... they can spread the load on the activation servers at both Apple and ATT over 2-days.

Interesting point. That's the one justification that seems plausible for delivering a day early.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Got my email too. I'm glad it's actually going to be delivered a day early like the fedex track showed a few day ago. I though Apple would tell them to hold it and deliver on the 24.

Early this morning at 12:29 am (eastern time) the tracking said that it arrived in Anchorage. I just checked at 8:24 am and it says that it just left memphis and is heading to my city in south florida. It should be at my fedex center by the end of the day for delivery tomorrow
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Got my email too. I'm glad it's actually going to be delivered a day early like the fedex track showed a few day ago. I though Apple would tell them to hold it and deliver on the 24.

Early this morning at 12:29 am (eastern time) the tracking said that it arrived in Anchorage. I just checked at 8:24 am and it says that it just left memphis and is heading to my city in south florida. It should be at my fedex center by the end of the day for delivery tomorrow

Definitely a move to spread the activation woes over a few days.......I am hoping mine arrives on the 23rd as the email mentioned.......might allow me to activate before the whole process crashes again
  • Reply 9 of 77
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregincolumbus View Post

Definitely a move to spread the activation woes over a few days.......I am hoping mine arrives on the 23rd as the email mentioned.......might allow me to activate before the whole process crashes again

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    This is perfect for me... this way I will be able to take it on a trip with me this weekend. I'm leaving Wed. night. Will hopefully get it in the AM, so I can run home during lunch time and sync it with my Mac, before the entire world decides to do the same.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    Just checked my status and it says arrival for the 23rd, but there's no information yet on where the phone is right now.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    mjuchtermjuchter Posts: 20member
    Got the e-mail as well, and deleted it outright, then read this article. I thought for sure it was a junk mail scheme, aimed at getting me to click the link to get a pre sign thing, leading to a download that would trash my computer or something (not that it could, seeing as I have a Mac!).

But it could be true, I guess... Not just a cruel April Fool's joke a few months late.

My phone says it is still in Alaska, though, so I don't see how it is going to get here by tomorrow unless it leaves soon. The FedEx status still says 24 July.

It would be nice to have it a day early, Thursday's a busy day. LOL
  • Reply 13 of 77
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

This is perfect for me... this way I will be able to take it on a trip with me this weekend. I'm leaving Wed. night. Will hopefully get it in the AM, so I can run home during lunch time and sync it with my Mac, before the entire world decides to do the same.

I am happy for all you guys that preordered it! I have mine reserved and will be in line at 7AMon Thurday to get mine and fight all the activations that day! Lol.

Be sure to post back when you get yousr and lets know your first thoughts and impressions!
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Ladies and gentlemen, start prepping your camera for the unboxing and the first hands-on of the iPhone 4, do not be afraid to jump on and ambush the FedEx delivery guy if necessary, we need you to quench the thirst of those who can't have the iPhone 4 on that day (and months afterward)..
  • Reply 15 of 77
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    I got my e-mail stating the same at 2:38AM this morning.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Not fair!!!
  • Reply 17 of 77
    You know this same thing happened with the 3GS right, and FedEx held them until launch day. I give it 10% probability of actually happening....I just don't see Apple doing that. That would piss off a LOT of campers and preorder people.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    rgspbrgspb Posts: 8member
    The part of this email that makes me suspicious is the part about the print and sign FedEx form. We ALL know that has never worked when it comes to an apple delivery. I'll be waiting, but not counting on it till Thursday.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    leesureleesure Posts: 15member
    FedEx tracking says it's in NJ, but with expected delivery on the 24th. Email said 23rd. I don't wanna pre-sign as I typically get 2-3 deliveries a day and don't feel like having the USPS or UPS guy getting my iPhone...not to mention the solicitors. I also don't want to waste 2 days sitting around waiting if it's not coming.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    I also got this email at 12:38 central time overnight. Tracking shows that my iPhone is still in Memphis this morning, so now I am anxiously awaiting it's local arrival.

In my mind a good move by Apple, whether the intent is to spread out server load, to appease some customers after last week's order debacle, or to create additional positive buzz. I'm sure there will be plenty of news about those who cannot get the new phone. Maybe Apple will have enough on hand in store that everyone will be happy on Thursday!