Apple's iAds allows users to opt out of data collection

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has launched an official page that allows iOS device users to opt out of personal data collection, such as information regarding downloads and purchases, for its iAds mobile advertising service.

Users can visit oo.apple.com on any device running iOS 4 and Apple will allow the user to opt out of data collection for iAds. Users will receive the message "You have successfully opted out."

In a new support document, Apple said that users who opt out may see the same ads as before, but they may be less relevant because they will not be based on their interests. Ads can also be related to the content in an application, or any other non-personal information.

"Apple and its partners use cookies and other technologies in mobile advertising services to control the number of times you see a given ad, deliver ads that relate to your interests, and measure the effectiveness of ad campaigns," the company said.

In addition, this week the company added a new section to its customer privacy policy, entitled "Location-Based Services." Users must agree to the new terms and conditions before they can download anything from iTunes or the App Store.

"Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device," the addition reads. "This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide important location-based products and services."

The changes follow a move from earlier this month, in which Apple decided to allow third-party agencies to collect user data with their consent. Modifying section 3.3.9 of its iOS developer agreement, Apple said that applications "may not collect, use or disclose to any third party, user or device data without prior user consent."

The new developer agreement also states that information can only be provided to "an independent advertising service provider whose primary business is serving mobile ads." That excludes the largest mobile ad network, AdMob, because it was acquired by Google, the maker of the Android mobile operating system.

Apple has high hopes for its iAd network, projecting that it will eat up half the mobile ad market in the second half of 2010. Apple plans to use iAd as a program to incentivize App Store development, and does not expect to turn a great profit from its new advertising business, made possible due to the purchase of Quattro Wireless for $275 million.

Apple's iAd service is set to launch on July 1. This week, the first applications compatible with the iAd network were made available for download in the App Store. They require a device running iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Nice. Easy to remember too: o(pt)o(ut).apple.com

Google's opt out is practically impossible to find.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Google's opt out is practically impossible to find.

Can you actually opt out of Google?? I didn't know.... How do you find it??

Thanks a lot

Yes, definitively a nice option to have...
  • Reply 3 of 47
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Have tried this twice now and each time it says that my (3GS) device is not running iOS4. It is. I guess I'll keep trying.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Have tried this twice now and each time it says that my (3GS) device is not running iOS4. It is. I guess I'll keep trying.

You are not alone, I have the same problem with my 3GS.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Same problem here with my 3G. Site says my device is not runnign iOS4. It is.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Can you actually opt out of Google?? I didn't know.... How do you find it??

Thanks a lot

Yes, definitively a nice option to have...

I don't think Google would like it if everyone opt'd out. They are so tied to advertising.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Yes, I keep getting "Unsuccessful Opt Out" on my updated 2G iPod Touch, with a claim that I'm not running iOS 4. I tried a full power-off/power-on cycle, but no help.

I note that the cited support document says that if it fails, to try again in a few hours ... maybe they said that for a reason.

Paul
  • Reply 8 of 47
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

It's possible that it's just not working yet because iAds hasn't gone live yet, but they need to fix this yesterday.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus View Post

Yes, I keep getting "Unsuccessful Opt Out" on my updated 2G iPod Touch, with a claim that I'm not running iOS 4. I tried a full power-off/power-on cycle, but no help.

I note that the cited support document says that if it fails, to try again in a few hours ... maybe they said that for a reason.

Paul

Same thing with my 3G iPod Touch....
  • Reply 10 of 47
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    No opt out for location data? That sucks.

Not that different from Android after all. At least Google only collects location data only when you actually use a service requiring location data (Maps for example).

Here's their policy and the links to opt-out for anybody who's interested:

http://www.android.com/privacy.html
  • Reply 11 of 47
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What? This entire news article is about that.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why is it a URL hidden in the terms of use agreement instead of a switch in iPhone system preferences? One of the reasons people think Google is so evil is all the tracking of people they do for advertising reasons. One of the (previously) good things about Apple is that they didn't do this.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why is it a URL hidden in the terms of use agreement instead of a switch in iPhone system preferences? One of the reasons people think Google is so evil is all the tracking of people they do for advertising reasons. One of the (previously) good things about Apple is that they didn't do this.

ROTFLMAO. So you're criticizing Apple because they make you go to a simple web site to opt out, yet not a word about Google - who doesn't let you opt out no matter how many hoops you jump through.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. So you're criticizing Apple because they make you go to a simple web site to opt out, yet not a word about Google - who doesn't let you opt out no matter how many hoops you jump through.

Huh? I specifically mentioned that Google is regarded as "evil" for these practices.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    rg_spbrg_spb Posts: 21member
    The way I see it, If i have to look at ads either way I'd rather stay op'ed in and at least see ads that may be interesting.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I wonder if opting out of the iAds data collection will also prevent them from collecting the device and location data. The iAds opt out wording doesn't seem to cover the Location-Based Services collection.

I trusted Hiro when he said Apple would never collect this type of info. Said it was far to big brother for them to do, with or without consent, and would be a violation of their own privacy policy. Guess he didn't know what he was talking about.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rg_spb View Post

The way I see it, If i have to look at ads either way I'd rather stay op'ed in and at least see ads that may be interesting.

Yeah, that's my take on this too. At least I'll see what it's like for a while. Can always change my mind later.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exscape View Post

What? This entire news article is about that.

It says that location based data is collected anonymously - no personal info sent - you may consider your location to be personal - but I think what they are getting at is that location based data where the app requests location anonymously in order to do things such as list local sea food restaurants is not considered to be divulging personal information - whereas an app keeping track of where your phone specifically is located every time you ask for restaurant information to visit a site with restaurant reviews and then reports your average daily views of a given item and makes adjustments to the ads presented specifically to YOU based on YOUR history - could be seen as private information - especially if things like your phone number and or email address are also collected.

In other words there is a distinction made between data that cannot be used to identify you individually and data that can be used to identify a specific individual.

To those getting error on the opt out page - perhaps the opt out function will not be available until the July 1 go live date of the iAds. Or perhaps they just didn't expect folks to visit the site so soon and while nice to have it announced ahead of time - they just weren't ready with the backend process and it will be up and running sometime before July 1.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Not that different from Android after all. At least Google only collects location data only when you actually use a service requiring location data (Maps for example).

Here's their policy and the links to opt-out for anybody who's interested:

http://www.android.com/privacy.html

can't you just turn off Location Services??
  • Reply 20 of 47
    I'll opt in. Not too worried about Apple's fair use of this limited data. And opting in will mean I get ads that are more relevant to my interests.