Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday revealed that its new multitouch iPad sold 3 million units in the product's first 80 days of availability, with the most recent million sold in just three weeks.

"People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month."

Apple also said that developers have created more than 11,000 new applications for the iPad that take advantage of its multitouch user interface, large screen and high-quality graphics. In addition, it will run almost all of the more than 225,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for an iPhone or iPod touch.

Apple sold its first million iPads in less than a month, reaching that milestone in 28 days. The 2 million sales point was later reached in less than two months.

The numbers show that the pace of sales for the iPad has not slowed since it first launched with the Wi-Fi-only version in the U.S. alone on April 3. Later that month, the iPad 3G was released in America, and remained consistently sold out at Apple's retail stores for weeks.

The iPad launched in nine more countries on May 28, making its debut in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. The international launch was originally delayed due to high demand in the U.S.

Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Users can browse the web, read and send email, enjoy and share photos, watch HD videos, listen to music, play games, read ebooks and much more, all using iPad's multitouch user interface. The devic is 0.5 inches thin and weighs 1.5 pounds, making it thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook, while still delivering up to 10 hours of battery life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    More than a million a month? It looks like those who have forecasted ten million by the end of the calendar year won't be far off, maybe even somewhat low.
  • Reply 2 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just read Andy Zahy's article on Apple's financials for this quarter, where he again thinks Apple will blow it out. He thinks that Apple will sell 3 million for the quarter, but says that he will revise his estimates as more info comes in.

I suppose he will have to do that now. Apple could sell another 200,000 by the end of the quarter, supposing supplies are available.
  • Reply 3 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

More than a million a month? It looks like those who have forecasted ten million by the end of the calendar year won't be far off, maybe even somewhat low.

Agreed Dr., especially when they open it up to more and more countries!

What a winner! coupled with the iPhone selling (pre-orders) 10x faster than the 3Gs...unbelievable!
  • Reply 4 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Greatest time in the history of Apple to buy their products and own their stock. It's a Festivus miracle!
  • Reply 5 of 170
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game
  • Reply 6 of 170
    Jobs said they have a lot of brand new products coming out! Here's hoping for a 15" iPad with a 30 pin connector on on the side for the BT keyboard stand!

That would be fabulous for presentations!

You heard it here first.

Best
  • Reply 7 of 170
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.
  • Reply 8 of 170
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game

It's definitely a portable computing device that would not be classified as either a phone or personal music player. Only other category is a type of computer, whether you call it an ultraportable, tablet, or what have you.
  • Reply 9 of 170
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    http://www.mediabistro.com/mobilecon...its_165046.asp

What idiots.

Around the world in 80 days.

Impressive Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 170
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I wonder how this figure compares to the combined total of everyone else's tablet PCs for the past three years.
  • Reply 11 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.

Supply and demand: they're only now starting to ship more iPads quicker. 1 million of those iPads were sold in the last 3 weeks, which means there is an increase. Just imagine holiday season, in addition to other international markets being added. Next year will see numbers sold in far greater excess, as Apple adds some very lust-worthy features, like Retina display, probable Facetime camera, more RAM, greater battery life, and maybe a few unknown surprises. Apple's meteoric rise is blowing the roof off of the world.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    With it missing so many features, like no USB, No Flash, No (fill in the blank)

and on and on and on.

Apple is Doomed !!!
  • Reply 13 of 170
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's definitely a portable computing device that would not be classified as either a phone or personal music player. Only other category is a type of computer, whether you call it an ultraportable, tablet, or what have you.

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.
  • Reply 14 of 170
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    The reason the sales are so bad is because evil Apple won't allow amazing Flash to run on it!

In related news: http://www.pcworld.com/article/19950...html?tk=hp_blg

What excuse do people have now for not getting rid of Flash on their websites? Don't they want the views?
  • Reply 15 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers show that the pace of sales for the iPad has not slowed since it first launched with the Wi-Fi-only version in the U.S. alone on April 3.

At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.
    PS: When does this quarter end?
  • Reply 16 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wonder how this figure compares to the combined total of everyone else's tablet PCs for the past three years.

I don't know why this should even matter. Apple's primary goal is to continue to grow revenues and profits. Abstract comparisons to other (vaguely) similar products don't really enter into this calculation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

Constantly repeating a myth does not make it true.
  • Reply 17 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

More than a million a month?

...or to break it down further, that's 26~27 iPads every minute. Not bad, considering the device sells anywhere between $500~$700. That's an average of $16,000 coming into their coffer every 60 seconds.
  • Reply 18 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

When you get a new computer, what is the first thing you usually do? Load on all your old information, files, music, videos, pictues, emails, etc., usually from another computer, and sometimes from a hard drive or CDs. The iPad does the same thing with its transfer. I agree it would be very nice to be able to transfer media using a hard drive or USB, but it is not neccessary. It helps mostly on a psycological level, really, to not need to connect to a computer before using it (even though the Apple store will do that for you if you want).
  • Reply 19 of 170
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

It's supply constrained. From publicly-released info... (too lazy to upload the graph)

Their initial sales rate was just under 26,000 units per day, they jumped to 33,000 units per day in two months, and are now running at 45,500 units per day. You have to assume that all manufactured units are sold after the initial channel-stuffing for displays, etc.

I'm not sure they can justify increasing production to 55-60k units per day, but I think they are in a very good place with 45k units per day or 1.35MM per month. That would put them at about 4MM for the next quarter!

That should be about $1 EPS from iPads alone. Add in what the App Store is bringing in now, and I think you are in a very healthy place owning Apple stock!!
  • Reply 20 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.

like the chart, but it would probably be more clear if you adjusted the numbers to show how many days it took to reach each million marker (smaller lines are better).