Apple's iAds allows users to opt out of data collection

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Same thing with my 3G iPod Touch....

That's their point. You can opt-out in theory but cannot in reality.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Same with me, doesn't work on my iPod touch or my 3GS
  • Reply 23 of 47
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Can you actually opt out of Google?? I didn't know.... How do you find it??

Thanks a lot

Yes, definitively a nice option to have...

Yes, this is an Ars Technica article about it, although I can't find the one that I used before that actually let you remove all Google tracking with one click.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...f-bad-guys.ars

Also, for all those trying to opt-out of iAds now, I am fairly certain the link won't actually work until iAds launch on July 1st. Obviously if they aren't currently tracking you, how can they stop?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    That's not 'obvious' at all. I think it's an error on their part.

They clearly could build a database, add people to it, and then opt them out on July 1st.

If they meant it to not work until July 1st, then they wouldn't have told us about the website until July 1st.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

That's not 'obvious' at all. I think it's an error on their part.

They clearly could build a database, add people to it, and then opt them out on July 1st.

If they meant it to not work until July 1st, then they wouldn't have told us about the website until July 1st.

Your point is sensible, but not probable. The reason I posted above seems to be one of only two logical answers, those being 1) website posted early for notice, but not yet active for use and 2) it's just broke. Apple posted the iPad battery replacement guide weeks before shipping, if I remember correctly, and there was no way anyone could use it yet. I also don't believe Apple would promote something that is so obviously broken that a simple check from any compatible device would reveal it. These two facts lead me to believe option 1 is the correct one.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bretsky84 View Post

Same with me, doesn't work on my iPod touch or my 3GS

Ditto. Very disappointing. Apple is toeing a very dangerous line by managing all of the data, especially considering how hypocritical of an advertising policy that they have (we can do everything, but you cannot... Google). For a company as "with it" as Apple, I would have hoped that opting IN was the requirement. One could easily argue that we are opting in by buying iPhones, but the clear counter-argument to that is that I owned an iPhone before iAds were released, and I am not leaving my device security hole laden (like the unfortunate iPhone 2G, and iPod touch 1st gens [like mine]) as Apple will most likely publish the security vulnerabilities--as it already has--and not patch them for older models. This is not the place for the rant that I was about to get into, but that is good enough reason for everyone to upgrade to iOS 4 that can.

I have no love for Google, at all, but the idea that Apple is somehow doing everyone a solid by blocking them, but not themselves, from aggregating all sorts of detailed information about users is laughable. Apple is quite close to returning to its late Steve era, and collapsing in on itself. Even my mother is afraid of the business practices of Apple, and that kind of press is very bad news for the Apple brand moving forward.

I use the best products from not necessarily the best companies. I use GMail, and I don't trust Google, and I own a MBP Core-i5, and iPhone 3GS and I don't trust Apple. Both companies give good reason to distrust them. How silly is it that the STILL SOLD iPod touch 8 GB does not support all of iOS 4 (multitasking OR backgrounds). I am now the proud owner of one, and cannot really be much more disappointed given that I got it less than a month ago (to be fair, I knew it was going to happen, but it was free).

If Apple keeps compounding these issues, then I cannot continue to buy their products, even if the hardware is solid--other companies are finally catching up (now, if only they'd get US based support, which is why I bought the MBP). They have been pretty shady lately.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rg_spb View Post

The way I see it, If i have to look at ads either way I'd rather stay op'ed in and at least see ads that may be interesting.

You shouldn't have to look at ads if you don't want to. There should be ad-blocking software available. And there should definitely be a way to opt out of any data collection, including location services. And the opt-out should be in a preferences pane, not a website that you have to find buried in the terms of use

Any app that has ads in it should declare it very clearly in the app store, and if it collects any data, including locations, it should state that also. And there must be an option to block all data collection, including location.

I think Congress, the FTC or the FCC should step in and set privacy rules, since Apple and Google won't do it. And yes, Google is much worse than Apple, but Apple seems to be moving in that direction.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You shouldn't have to look at ads if you don't want to. There should be ad-blocking software available. And there should definitely be a way to opt out of any data collection, including location services. And the opt-out should be in a preferences pane, not a website that you have to find buried in the terms of use

There should also be cake. Chocolate, and lots of it.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Also, for all those trying to opt-out of iAds now, I am fairly certain the link won't actually work until iAds launch on July 1st. Obviously if they aren't currently tracking you, how can they stop?

Because the website is not set up with the purpose to stop tracking you. It's to opt out of an existing service. iAds may not be running real ads, but it is running nonetheless.

Honestly, it bothers me more that the site exists and doesn't work, then had it not existed at all. If the server failed to respond, that would represent a server load issue. It rather immediately responds back that I am not running an iOS 4 on my iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.

For a company known for not announcing things until they are actually done, this is pretty stunning, especially since it shows how little they care about allowing people to opt out of an incredibly hypocritical system.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickypg View Post

Ditto. Very disappointing. Apple is toeing a very dangerous line by managing all of the data, especially considering how hypocritical of an advertising policy that they have (we can do everything, but you cannot... Google). For a company as "with it" as Apple, I would have hoped that opting IN was the requirement. One could easily argue that we are opting in by buying iPhones, but the clear counter-argument to that is that I owned an iPhone before iAds were released, and I am not leaving my device security hole laden (like the unfortunate iPhone 2G, and iPod touch 1st gens [like mine]) as Apple will most likely publish the security vulnerabilities--as it already has--and not patch them for older models. This is not the place for the rant that I was about to get into, but that is good enough reason for everyone to upgrade to iOS 4 that can.

I have no love for Google, at all, but the idea that Apple is somehow doing everyone a solid by blocking them, but not themselves, from aggregating all sorts of detailed information about users is laughable. Apple is quite close to returning to its late Steve era, and collapsing in on itself. Even my mother is afraid of the business practices of Apple, and that kind of press is very bad news for the Apple brand moving forward.

I use the best products from not necessarily the best companies. I use GMail, and I don't trust Google, and I own a MBP Core-i5, and iPhone 3GS and I don't trust Apple. Both companies give good reason to distrust them. How silly is it that the STILL SOLD iPod touch 8 GB does not support all of iOS 4 (multitasking OR backgrounds). I am now the proud owner of one, and cannot really be much more disappointed given that I got it less than a month ago (to be fair, I knew it was going to happen, but it was free).

If Apple keeps compounding these issues, then I cannot continue to buy their products, even if the hardware is solid--other companies are finally catching up (now, if only they'd get US based support, which is why I bought the MBP). They have been pretty shady lately.

Not sure where you're going with this, except maybe "Apple sucks cuz they aren't giving everyone one the freedom I want them to have."

Even your mother. Wow.

So let's make some adjustments here in your logic shall we? The statement above you crammed in Apple's mouth was "we can do everything, but you cannot... Google" when in fact the reality was "Google, as a competitor, you cannnot come into our platform and services and farm as much information as you like to gain a competitive edge on us or use personal information gained from it for your own gain." See the difference? Apple never came into this market with the mistaken concept that they had to be all things to all people, nor that it was all about freedom, and puppies, and sharing, and letting other people steal your IP and data and shake your head in an amused and befuddled way as they do it. but let's take this further into reality. They are not preventing 3rd party ad companies to harvest user data in the system, only those that feed directly into a competitor - for example, AdMob who are wholly owned by Google, which produces the Android OS and spec with their partners for the Android phone competition to the iPhone.

If, as was stated (and if you had paid the least bit of attention you'd know this) in the release keynote, Apple is driving an ad platform to benefit developers - by providing them a revenue source to support free games and apps on the platform (and make a bit on the side for themselves too), why do you struggle with that benefit? You plant bits of your information out on the internet, with your local government (talk about security vulnerabilities!) and with your utility suppliers day in and day out, all of whom have security issues, and yet you have issues with Apple stating rather baldly what they will and will not do with the information you provide them.

There is no correlation between now, and your "late Steve era" reference. If you don't like what they do, buy a different product. Your iPod Touch 8GB is still a fully functional device in the same way my 1st gen iPhone is still a functional (and enjoyable) device. I don't need the latest-greatest to be satisifed with the device - but your experience may be different. As a consumer you have all the choice in the world - no one is twisting your arm to buy Apple devices - practice the ultimate freedom and buy from a corporate entity that practices the level of honesty and integrity you desire. Assuming you can find one. Hope springs eternal, but commonsense requires practice.

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickypg View Post

Honestly, it bothers me more that the site exists and doesn't work, then had it not existed at all. If the server failed to respond, that would represent a server load issue. It rather immediately responds back that I am not running an iOS 4 on my iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.

For a company known for not announcing things until they are actually done, this is pretty stunning, especially since it shows how little they care about allowing people to opt out of an incredibly hypocritical system.

Great post and is a more elegant way of saying what I was to say. Thank you.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

That's their point. You can opt-out in theory but cannot in reality.

Just tried again and it worked..
  • Reply 33 of 47
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Any app that has ads in it should declare it very clearly in the app store, and if it collects any data, including locations, it should state that also. And there must be an option to block all data collection, including location.

I think Congress, the FTC or the FCC should step in and set privacy rules, since Apple and Google won't do it. And yes, Google is much worse than Apple, but Apple seems to be moving in that direction.

elroth, this is blindingly simple. There will be ad links in free apps, tied to iAd services. YOU have a CHOICE as to whether you click on them or NOT. If not, you go blythely on your way enjoying freely the free app and not supporting the dev with anything other than your fuzzy good wishes for an enjoyable app. Which will warm and fill them very well indeed, no doubt. However, if you DO click on the iAd link, it pauses the app, open a new window, delivers the ad content, and then goes away again. In fact you can at any point, according to Apple, simply close the ad window and continue on as if nothing had happened. The cool thing is, when you view the ad, it generates a view hit, which translates into ad revenue (paid by the group of advertisers being built by Apple) for the person who developed the free app you are enjoying. As a result, the dev gains the wherewithal to be warmed and filled and perhaps able to develop even more fun, free apps for you to enjoy.

But it is all about you CHOOSING what you do, whether to click on the ad link or not, whether to watch the ad or not, whether to support the dev with an ad hit or not. That's it man. It's freedom baby - its a groovy thing!

• Reply 34 of 47
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has launched an official page that allows iOS device users to opt out of personal data collection, such as information regarding downloads and purchases, for its iAds mobile advertising service.

Users can visit oo.apple.com on any device running iOS 4 and Apple will allow the user to opt out of data collection for iAds. Users will receive the message "You have successfully opted out."

This is good.

What would have been better is if you were given the opt-out choice the first time an iAd rears its head on your device.

What may have been even better for users of the device would be if the default was privacy, and if you had to visit some obscure webpage to change it.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. So you're criticizing Apple because they make you go to a simple web site to opt out, yet not a word about Google - who doesn't let you opt out no matter how many hoops you jump through.

Is it always "us versus them"?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'll opt in. Not too worried about Apple's fair use of this limited data. And opting in will mean I get ads that are more relevant to my interests.

Do you use Google services extensively?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    I don't understand why people are so upset over this. If anything, it just seems like the site isn't ready yet. Do they actually think Apple's going to leave it as it is? Is it such a bad thing for Apple not to have everything ready immediately but to actually have to spend time to develop certain services? I guess they are the only company in all history who actually needs to spend time to do stuff.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

I don't understand why people are so upset over this. If anything, it just seems like the site isn't ready yet. Do they actually think Apple's going to leave it as it is? Is it such a bad thing for Apple not to have everything ready immediately but to actually have to spend time to develop certain services? I guess they are the only company in all history who actually needs to spend time to do stuff.

I'm not UPSET that this isn't working yet, it's just seems a little embarrassing for Apple that this site is out there and it is not working properly. But I read the article again, and it isn't like Apple is advertising this site on their main site. It seems this all came from a support document that AppleInsider found. So maybe Apple was publishing their support document, thinking not too many people would even see it for a while.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    iAd is not even live yet.

won't be surprised that page is only a placeholder for now.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Many of you really need to learn about patience.

It wasn't working for me earlier (third-generation iPod touch running iOS 4.0 Gold Master) and finally I opted-out successfully a few minutes ago.

Patience, people.