First iPhone 4 in official retail box spotted at Walmart

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I think your memory is correct. Not having purchased the 3G phone I forgot that they made the mistake of forcing in-store purchase only for the 3G. http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/07/02...vation-a-must/

The 3GS appears to be a different story though because they allowed at home shipment and home activation. My call to apple support confirms this will be the case with 4G if you buy from the apple store. So the process of buying without pre-ordering does not appear to be as arduous as what DistortedLoop has experienced in the past if you buy from an apple store.

This is good news, although I guess for me it is a moot point. Now that I think about it, I have the 3Gs, and will be upgrading. So I am assuming they will have to deactivate the old phone and activate the new one, as I don't see a way for me to accomplish this at home. Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:

The 3GS appears to be a different story though because they allowed at home shipment and home activation. My call to apple support confirms this will be the case with 4G if you buy from the apple store. So the process of buying without pre-ordering does not appear to be as arduous as what DistortedLoop has experienced in the past if you buy from an apple store.

They may have changed the 3G[s] process mid-stream, but I definitely had to activate in-store, but I went through AT&T. So did my friend who got a 3G[s] to replace his stolen 3G a few months ago.

If Apple's changed the policy, they've learned from prior mistakes. This is a good thing.

Sadly, despite non-carrier companies like Apple and Google trying to force a change in the business model of how phones are sold, both haven't done much to change things. I bought my Nexus One from Google direct, unlocked and contract free with T-Mobile. I actually save something like $20/month on service with TMo being contract-free and unsubsidized. Google's given up the selling direct model and moving towards buy at the carriers. It was a valiant try, and worked out fine for me and other geeks who took the N1 plunge, but the masses just aren't ready for it. With the iPhone's market clout and built-in market of diehard Apple product buyers, maybe, over the longer haul, Apple will be more successful at it, but even Apple hasn't done much to help us get out of long term contracts. :-(
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is good news, although I guess for me it is a moot point. Now that I think about it, I have the 3Gs, and will be upgrading. So I am assuming they will have to deactivate the old phone and activate the new one, as I don't see a way for me to accomplish this at home. Or am I missing something?

I don't think that's an issue; the activation process on iTunes in the past let you transfer service even from another carrier, so moving your service from one AT&T phone to another shouldn't be an issue, just make sure to make the correct selections. I was going to suggest just swapping the SIMs, but I think the new phone has the micro-sim, doesn't it? That's a complication with that method.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

They may have changed the 3G[s] process mid-stream, but I definitely had to activate in-store, but I went through AT&T. So did my friend who got a 3G[s] to replace his stolen 3G a few months ago.

If Apple's changed the policy, they've learned from prior mistakes. This is a good thing.

Sadly, despite non-carrier companies like Apple and Google trying to force a change in the business model of how phones are sold, both haven't done much to change things. I bought my Nexus One from Google direct, unlocked and contract free with T-Mobile. I actually save something like $20/month on service with TMo being contract-free and unsubsidized. Google's given up the selling direct model and moving towards buy at the carriers. It was a valiant try, and worked out fine for me and other geeks who took the N1 plunge, but the masses just aren't ready for it. With the iPhone's market clout and built-in market of diehard Apple product buyers, maybe, over the longer haul, Apple will be more successful at it, but even Apple hasn't done much to help us get out of long term contracts. :-(

We'll have to see how things shake out when the iPhone comes to other carriers in the US. I can't see Apple holding out much longer. I don't think AT&T is trying to give me a new subsidized phone after only a year out of the goodness of their hearts. I think they're trying to lock me in from switching carriers when the iphone stops being exclusive. Maybe shorter contract terms can be a differentiator between the carriers?

Quote:

I recall just switching SIM chips from my 2G to my 3GS using the tool they provided (fancy paper clip) then plugging the 3GS into my mac and activating via iTunes.

Quote:

Oh, LOL, that makes sense, but it's a context thing again, I posted that right after someone joked that the box was in 3D. I thought my joke just flowed with it, though the tweet comment was also meant to be part of the joke. By the way, I did tweet that, meant to be clearly satirical. Maybe it wasn't. ;-)

It's so easy to be misinterpreted in this kind of medium, isn't it?

Anyways, sorry to confuse.

Way too easy to be misinterpreted, no apology necessary. I shouldn't have went there.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Any idea what time they'll go on sale at wal-mart since it's open 24 hours? Can I show up at 12:01 and get one?
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd stay away from that Apple store. Their employees obviously don't know the process. You should have asked for a manager.

you win! STUPID QUOTE OF THE DAY

LOL

yeah, ask the manager, who's trained and briefed the staff.

because, ya know .... the employees obviously don't know the process! LOL!!!! brilliant!

both 3G and 3GS were activated in store. yeeeesh!
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:

I recall just switching SIM chips from my 2G to my 3GS using the tool they provided (fancy paper clip) then plugging the 3GS into my mac and activating via iTunes.

Way too easy to be misinterpreted, no apology necessary. I shouldn't have went there.

Unfortunately, as DistortedLoop mentions, iPhone 4 uses microsim cards, so swapping sim cards at home between 3Gs and 4 definitely won't work. It's ok though. I had assumed I would have to do all at the store anyway, so my expectations were correct.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yup, this iPhone 4 leaks are the orgy of Apple leakage we've ever know..

Is it good, or bad.?

It is good for you and bad for Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, as DistortedLoop mentions, iPhone 4 uses microsim cards, so swapping sim cards at home between 3Gs and 4 definitely won't work. It's ok though. I had assumed I would have to do all at the store anyway, so my expectations were correct.

If your not going to have to swap SIM chips my expectation would be that you'd simply plug the iphone 4G into iTunes. The iTunes software would then utilize the new SIM chip during activation rendering the old SIM unusable. Otherwise all of the people receiving their iPhones via mail would be screwed. They'd end up having to go into the apple store or AT&T to activate the phones they just had delivered.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:

If your not going to have to swap SIM chips my expectation would be that you'd simply plug the iphone 4G into iTunes. The iTunes software would then utilize the new SIM chip during activation rendering the old SIM unusable. Otherwise all of the people receiving their iPhones via mail would be screwed. They'd end up having to go into the apple store or AT&T to activate the phones they just had delivered.

Excellent point. Sometimes I over-think things

Either way I will be glad to get the new phone. Hopefully they will have enough supply at launch for me to pick one up.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Clearly they are. There isn't a soul on the planet, at least in the tech-saavy crowd, that didn't know just about every detail of the last few Apple products before they ever hit the El Jobso announcement stage. I wonder now if a lot of the B.S. rumors that come out (magic trackpad, aTV 2, etc) aren't some lame attempt by Apple to divert attention from the real leaks, since they obviously can't control the real leaks.

On the other hand, I still have suspicions that Apple was behind the leak of the iPhone 4 out of fear of all the press that some of the new Android phones that were coming out on non-AT&T networks prior to iPhone 4 day were getting.

I've got a Nexus One and an EVO 4G (for testing at this point), and both blow the older iPhone models out of the water in every respect. Given the lack of anything in the new iPhone that these phones don't already offer, other than the (slightly) higher resolution, I'm not sure the iPhone 4 offers much of a challenge to the EVO 4G and the upcoming (July) Samsung Galaxy S, unless you're just a die-hard Apple fan, or don't want to leave AT&T for some reason.

I've actually pre-ordered for June 24th delivery a new iPhone to test out, but given its tiny 3.5" screen and my almost-50 year old eyes, I'm not sure that higher resolution will convince me to keep it. The net and emails are a heck of lot easier to read on the EVO's huge 4.3" screen. Everyone I show the phone to agrees. I'll know for myself in two days!

I'm actually over the Apple hype machine. The months of rumors and the over-hyped, over adjectived (super, wonderful, amazing) keynotes by Jobs and crew, along with the almost religious-like Johnny Ives and others videos post-keynote are a bit too much for me as I get older. Screw the secrets and one-more-thing B.S., Apple, just tell me what's coming out, and when, so I can make better decisions about what to buy and what to ignore in the future. I promise I'll wait for your products if they sound like they're better than what the competition is offering.

you seem comfortable somehow. You obviously never, ever developed the necessary filtering skills for marketing that so many other consumers (myself included)bring to life. OTOH, my eyes are considerably older than yours and they have no issues with even my 1st gen iPhone screen, so maybe a trip to the optimist, er optometrist is in order for you.

Most importantly, you seem more of an Android fan than an Apple fan, so that would 'splain your comments. Enjoy Android. Seriously - if you need to be on Android to feel good about yourself - embrace that need! If the relentless hype you have coming in waves off of each and every new Android device is some how different than the more occasional stuff from Apple's devices - surf those waves dude! Embrace your uniquely free Androidness, ride the waves of hype and love, yes love your Android phones! And then leave Apple behind, leave behind the "one more thing" (hopefully Eric comes up with as pithey a stock phrase - but I'm not holding my breath), but mostly stop getting all ruffled and bothered about what Apple is doing, when you are surrounded and embraced by the deep, deep love that Google and Android have for you.

• Reply 52 of 60
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Ftw!!
  • Reply 53 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Clearly they are. There isn't a soul on the planet, at least in the tech-saavy crowd, that didn't know just about every detail of the last few Apple products before they ever hit the El Jobso announcement stage. I wonder now if a lot of the B.S. rumors that come out (magic trackpad, aTV 2, etc) aren't some lame attempt by Apple to divert attention from the real leaks, since they obviously can't control the real leaks.

This isn't even close to true. You only have to go back to the major announcement before the iPhone 4--the iPad. It had PLENTY of hype and interest, but we knew essentially squat. We didn't even know what operating system it would use! Weight? Battery life? Processor speed? RAM? Cost?

That is serious secrecy. And it was effective, too. The competition had been scrambeling to show they had a tablet coming too, with all sorts of vapor announcements and demos... Yet when the iPad was announced, they realized 1.5 pounds and 5 hour battery wern't going to cut it. And the price swamped the competitors--they were preparing to compete against a MUCH higher price.

This secrecy has provided Apple with a huge jump on the competition!

Now, I'll agree with you on one point--it is quite possible that Apple was intentionally allowing iPhone4 leaks to derail Android launches. I don't know if it happened, but it is a resonable suspicion--and one that reinforces the argument that Apple can still use secrecy when it needs it...
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Nice try, but I won't take your bait. Well, maybe I'll nibble at it a bit.

I like both Apple and Android phones. I currently own four iPhones, and it will be five by Thursday afternoon. Oddly, for the raving Android fanboi you paint me out to be, I only have two Android phones in my possession. Kind of an odd breakdown for someone you assert identifies his own self-worth with Google/Android products, don't you think?

Four of my phones have active cell service on 3 of the 4 major networks in the US, so I'm not a fanboi of any phone network in particular.

I do feel that Android's ahead of Apple in OS and hardware terms, especially with the phones released in the last few months, and pending release in the next month, but there's still some polish and app availability that gives Apple the edge for some consumers.

I do not need to be an Android fan to feel good about myself, and my pro-Android comments are far less over-the-top and non-compromising than those of the legions of Apple fanbois (are you one?) that depend on Apple products to feel complete come up with.

By the way, this message is being produced from a MacBook Pro, wirelessly tethered (for no extra fee) to a T-Mobile Nexus One. There's a Windows XP PC on the desk next to me, an iPhone 3G[s] cradled next to it, and a Sprint EVO in my pocket. I have no bias for any particular brand - I'll use what tools I enjoy and that get the job at hand done. Fortunately, I also have the financial means to indulge myself with gadgets I find interesting or entertaining.

That said, if you somehow feel better about yourself by trying to make me feel small with your comments, more power to you; I guess some just need to attack others to feel good about themselves. Or are you just jealous that I have more toys than you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

you seem comfortable somehow. You obviously never, ever developed the necessary filtering skills for marketing that so many other consumers (myself included)bring to life. OTOH, my eyes are considerably older than yours and they have no issues with even my 1st gen iPhone screen, so maybe a trip to the optimist, er optometrist is in order for you.

Most importantly, you seem more of an Android fan than an Apple fan, so that would 'splain your comments. Enjoy Android. Seriously - if you need to be on Android to feel good about yourself - embrace that need! If the relentless hype you have coming in waves off of each and every new Android device is some how different than the more occasional stuff from Apple's devices - surf those waves dude! Embrace your uniquely free Androidness, ride the waves of hype and love, yes love your Android phones! And then leave Apple behind, leave behind the "one more thing" (hopefully Eric comes up with as pithey a stock phrase - but I'm not holding my breath), but mostly stop getting all ruffled and bothered about what Apple is doing, when you are surrounded and embraced by the deep, deep love that Google and Android have for you.

• Reply 55 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

you win! STUPID QUOTE OF THE DAY

LOL

yeah, ask the manager, who's trained and briefed the staff.

because, ya know .... the employees obviously don't know the process! LOL!!!! brilliant!

both 3G and 3GS were activated in store. yeeeesh!

You've obviously never worked in retail if you think that the employees know everything the manager knows - because the manager trained them. For that matter, have you ever even VISITED a retail store?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This isn't even close to true. You only have to go back to the major announcement before the iPhone 4--the iPad. It had PLENTY of hype and interest, but we knew essentially squat. We didn't even know what operating system it would use! Weight? Battery life? Processor speed? RAM? Cost?

That is serious secrecy. And it was effective, too. The competition had been scrambeling to show they had a tablet coming too, with all sorts of vapor announcements and demos... Yet when the iPad was announced, they realized 1.5 pounds and 5 hour battery wern't going to cut it. And the price swamped the competitors--they were preparing to compete against a MUCH higher price.

This secrecy has provided Apple with a huge jump on the competition!

Now, I'll agree with you on one point--it is quite possible that Apple was intentionally allowing iPhone4 leaks to derail Android launches. I don't know if it happened, but it is a resonable suspicion--and one that reinforces the argument that Apple can still use secrecy when it needs it...

Yes, I exaggerated a tad with that comment, for effect.

However, weren't there pictures of an iPad, with an iPhone laying on top of it published by Gizmodo and other sites well before the iPad was announced? Here's a couple that a quick Google search turned up with ACCURATE pictures of the front and backside from back before the launch: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...-apple-tablet/ & http://tablet-news.com/tag/appled-ipad-leak/

We knew how big it would be, at least, and we knew it was coming. Maybe we didn't have tear-downs of actual devices like we did with this latest iPhone, but seriously, did Steve say or demonstrate anything on the iPad stage that surprised/amazed you? I watched that keynote and was seriously underwhelmed, but maybe that's just because of all the Apple products to ever come along, the iPad is the first to just not interest me at all. YMMV.

I think it speaks volumes that many are willing to acknowledge that Apple might be concerned enough about Android devices to leak their own stuff out in attempt to muck with the news flow and launch dates of those products. If Android is so inferior, why bother?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I have 24 hour Walmart near me. If I understand right, these phones were not preordered nor presold so if I suddenly became very weak at say, midnight tonight, I could go pick one up and activate it with an AT&T account?
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have 24 hour Walmart near me. If I understand right, these phones were not preordered nor presold so if I suddenly became very weak at say, midnight tonight, I could go pick one up and activate it with an AT&T account?

Even if your other assumptions about Walmart are accurate, you can't go at midnight tonight (Tuesday), since launch day isn't until Thursday....
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

I think it speaks volumes that many are willing to acknowledge that Apple might be concerned enough about Android devices to leak their own stuff out in attempt to muck with the news flow and launch dates of those products. If Android is so inferior, why bother?

Because it's fun to mess with people, especially Google.

Apple is successful for many reasons, not the least of which is being extremely smart strategists about information control related to their products. Secrecy works great, as we have seen. The less we know, the more we want to know. We foam at the mouth for it.

Also important is the occasional "accidental" info leak. It keeps your products on the radar and the hype machine running. It also might sway people waiting for a cool new gadget their way. Why buy that Palm Pre or HTC Evo now when you can get this much cooler iProduct in a few weeks? Also, if I as an Apple enthusiast find out this new exciting information in advance of the product announcement, I feel "in the know" and ahead of the curve compared to others out there. It's cool to know stuff that you aren't supposed to know. Or maybe you know this because Apple wants you to know.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Okay.

(And it worked re: me and the EVO. I did not purchase an EVO when it first came out because the leaks on the iPhone were intriguing enough to make me curious. However, the actual announcement wasn't exciting enough to make me skip the EVO in the end, either. All that ended up happening was I got delayed ordering an EVO since I missed the first batch. The nice thing for me is that here in California we get 30 days with any new cell phone to test out and can return with no obligation if not satisfied. I'll have both an EVO and an iPhone 4 in hand for testing at the same time. If neither lives up to my expectations it can go back...if both are great, I might keep both. ;-) )

Quote:

Because it's fun to mess with people, especially Google.

Apple is successful for many reasons, not the least of which is being extremely smart strategists about information control related to their products. Secrecy works great, as we have seen. The less we know, the more we want to know. We foam at the mouth for it.

Also important is the occasional "accidental" info leak. It keeps your products on the radar and the hype machine running. It also might sway people waiting for a cool new gadget their way. Why buy that Palm Pre or HTC Evo now when you can get this much cooler iProduct in a few weeks? Also, if I as an Apple enthusiast find out this new exciting information in advance of the product announcement, I feel "in the know" and ahead of the curve compared to others out there. It's cool to know stuff that you aren't supposed to know. Or maybe you know this because Apple wants you to know.