Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days

1356789

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 170
    champchamp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It is though, at least initially. I remember one of the selling points given in the January presentation that it's turned on and ready to go. It's possible that person mispoke. It is turned on but doesn't allow you to do anything until you connect it to a computer. When people first started getting a hold of them, they often stopped at the food court or whatever afterwards, and were stymied that they couldn't do anything with it, often having left their computer at home.



    Just like iPhone and Touch, it works fine on its own afterwards without any computer connection, though that's still the only apparent way to back it up. So no one as yet can go 100% without a regular PC/Mac without risking data. OS updates require a computer as well, that's understandable given the ginormous size of the OS updates.



    Anyhow, averaging more than a million a month is pretty impressive.



    Im sure Apple employees tell customers it needs to be connected to a computer before use and then offered to set it up in the store if they wanted to use it right away. This scenario is more likely than what you posted.
  • Reply 42 of 170
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


    If you activate your iPad on one computer and then later connect it to a different computer what will happen? I remember the iPod never liked multiple computers.



    Nothing will happen. When we bought the iPhone 3G back in 2008 we were required to activate it in store using the store Macs. You just connect it and when the welcome/registration page appear you disconnect it. No syncing no problems.
  • Reply 43 of 170
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.







    :x
  • Reply 44 of 170
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Greatest time in the history of Apple to buy their products and own their stock. It's a Festivus miracle!





    awe







    some





    apple





    world





    domination





    server farms





    ringing the



    planet





    i dream now of a small mvno video/talk nano phone





    when rio gave us a crap device w/ 20 songs we dreamed of a ipod





    9
  • Reply 45 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It is though, at least initially. I remember one of the selling points given in the January presentation that it's turned on and ready to go. It's possible that person mispoke. It is turned on but doesn't allow you to do anything until you connect it to a computer. When people first started getting a hold of them, they often stopped at the food court or whatever afterwards, and were stymied that they couldn't do anything with it, often having left their computer at home.



    Just like iPhone and Touch, it works fine on its own afterwards without any computer connection, though that's still the only apparent way to back it up. So no one as yet can go 100% without a regular PC/Mac without risking data. OS updates require a computer as well, that's understandable given the ginormous size of the OS updates.



    Anyhow, averaging more than a million a month is pretty impressive.



    We had ours activated at the 14th st Apple store here in NYC. I immediately bought several apps at the store over their WiFi. If people buying iPads are like most computer users, they won't back up their devices at home. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother upgrading their OS either.



    So I suppose, for the trusting, a computer won't be needed. If data can be backed up using Mobile Me, which I don't use, so I don't know too much about how it works, then that would be all that most people need. After all, if you want to download an app you already have, you can do so for free, so losing apps isn't that important. It's just the data and contacts.
  • Reply 46 of 170
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.







    :x



    omg

    aPPLE is doomed

    teckstud was right
  • Reply 47 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I'm not sure of what you mean by tablet here. If we're talking about tablets in the sense of say, 7" or larger screens, then in 2009 most tablets sold were Windows tablets. There were about 1.5 million of those sold last year. With Apple selling 3 million so far, that would be almost twice the sales of all tablets sold in 2009, not one third.



    Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.
  • Reply 48 of 170
    champchamp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.







    :x



    Your still in the denial stage. Some people take more time to see the light.
  • Reply 49 of 170
    .



    Just think what iPad sales could have been if it had a proper OS!



    /sarcasm



    .
  • Reply 50 of 170
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    .



    Just think what iPad sales could have been if it had a proper OS!



    /sarcasm



    .



    You're absolutely right. I'm now awaiting the iPhone 4 to completely flop at the end of this month.



    To be perfectly honest I think it will be a miracle if Apple have not gone under by the end of the year.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post


    With it missing so many features, like no USB, No Flash, No (fill in the blank)

    and on and on and on.



    Apple is Doomed !!!



    The trolls will never be silenced, even in the face of their complete, epic fail to denigrate the iPad. It's what they do. It's who they are, disgruntled haters. We just need to start laughing at them instead of giving them the time of day. Just keep adding them to our ignore lists until they are spewing into thin air.
  • Reply 52 of 170
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.







    :x



  • Reply 53 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.



    I think that's smart thinking on their part. It may seem like a deficiency but it's part of the plan.



    JB
  • Reply 54 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    Assuming they can increase supply, which I'm skeptical of (I've posted before about the lack of Flash memory manufacturing at the moment), I could see the rate of sales increasing as word of mouth really starts to take hold.



    At some point supply will catch up to demand. I suspect that will be mid-late Feb 2011. Apple has another card to play with this device-- one that will truly change the world!



    Quote:

    Having bought my iPad three weeks ago, I've been amazed by it myself. I thought the lack of Flash would be annoying, but I've only gone to one website so far that has prevented me doing what I wanted to because it was Flash only, and I found myself annoyed with the website rather than annoyed with the iPad.



    So true-- if Flash had performed badly, the average user, likely, would have blamed the iPad

    Quote:



    One thing that has really impressed me about the thing has been the battery life. I had to fly to Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago and that's a 14 hour flight, so I assumed I would be out of battery before the flight was over. However, having watched 11.5 hours of movies, the battery had only dropped from 100% down to 55%. I find that incredible. For people who travel a lot, I see this as close to a must have device.



    The knock on effect is I've been banging on to all who will listen (and many who won't) just how good it is.



    Furthermore, everyone who has played with mine has said they will now consider getting one - even my mother who has no interest in technology has decided to get one. I really think Apple has hit the jackpot here.



    +++QFT



    .
  • Reply 55 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I fully expect Apple to eventually make the iPad not need to be connected to a PC with iTunes installed to activate it, but I think we'll have to wait until at least iPad iOS v4.x and for that massive data center to have been built, with whatever they turn LaLa into up and running along with other cloud services they have planned. It will still be designed and focused as an accessory satellite device, but a physical connection to a PC won't be requirement.



    Interestingly, the new iBooks 1.1 sync your bookmarks and notes via your iTunes Store account (if I read that correctly). It sounds to me like it's kept on Apple's iTunes servers, not just your local iTunes Library and not via MobileMe. Is the first sign of what is to come? I think eventually the first thing you'll do with the iPad is either plug it in to activate it or login to iTunes on the device to activate it. Either way, though, I think an internet connection to first use it will be needed.



    What I didn't expect about iBooks it that it doesn't tell you anything about the books you have bought on the iPad. If you want them on the iPhone as well, you have to go the the bookstore, go to purchases, and re-download each of them. It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.
  • Reply 56 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.



    Only 1.5 million Windows tablets sold last year. The year before, it was 2.5 million. That was the high.



    I don't know of any other tablets that accounted for more than very minor sales.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    We had ours activated at the 14th st Apple store here in NYC. I immediately bought several apps at the store over their WiFi. If people buying iPads are like most computer users, they won't back up their devices at home. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother upgrading their OS either.



    So I suppose, for the trusting, a computer won't be needed. If data can be backed up using Mobile Me, which I don't use, so I don't know too much about how it works, then that would be all that most people need. After all, if you want to download an app you already have, you can do so for free, so losing apps isn't that important. It's just the data and contacts.



    One of the supposed "dependencies" of the iPad is the need to connect it to something else for backup. The answer to this criticism is so obvious that it's hardly worth mentioning. Just let me know when a Mac or PC can be backed up without connecting it to something, then this will be an argument. (FWIW, if you are a MobileMe subscriber, contacts, calendar and bookmarks are all cloud stored.)



    That said, I don't suppose many people will be buying an iPad as their sole method of computing, but that's not because of dependancies. The point here is that for all intents and purposes, the iPad works independently of a Mac or PC.
  • Reply 58 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post


    Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.



    No, you don't need a computer to use it. The Apple Store will be happy to activate it for you - and then it will work without a computer.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.



    The reason it is accelerating almost certainly has nothing to do with demand. Apple could have sold a lot more if they had supply. I'm fairly certain that all you're seeing is some gradual improvements in the manufacturing yields and production cycles. The effect is even more pronounced when you consider that the first month's sales probably had 8 weeks worth of production time. Second month was probably a bit more than 4 weeks of production because they apparently held some units back for the international market. Third month is probably closer to actual production rates.



    Thus, daily production rates were probably 20-25 K the first month, 30-35 K the second month and 37 K the third month.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


    You should connect your iPad to a computer on a regular basis to backup your data. Remember, if you have to send it to Apple for repair they will actually give you a replacement iPad and you will lose all the information and content on the original.



    No, you don't.



    First, many casual users never back up their computer at all. Even those who do can use MobileMe. No need to own your own computer.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.



    That is not correct. The projection was 10 M units in 2010 - including the iPad. The report was that total tablet sales for 2009 was around 1.1 M units - roughly the number of iPads sold every month.



    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...pcs05_ST_N.htm
  • Reply 59 of 170
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.



    What doesn't come with Winnie The Pooh? I upgraded my 3GS last night to iOS 4, downloaded the iBooks app and Winnie the Pooh was there on the bookshelf in iBooks.
  • Reply 60 of 170
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    What I didn't expect about iBooks it that it doesn't tell you anything about the books you have bought on the iPad. If you want them on the iPhone as well, you have to go the the bookstore, go to purchases, and re-download each of them. It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.



    Winnie was offered the first time I entered the book store.
Sign In or Register to comment.