Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I was a little surprised though to learn that even those folders are limited in app quantities. What's the point in having a limit of 12 or so apps to one folder.

Apple likes to build in steps. They could have made the folders hold folders within folders or scroll apps to hold as many as you with. I can see your (and other's) point here, but I also see Apple's point here. If you need more folders for an app type just add a numerical value to it, but to make it too complex without seeing all the apps with the folder might be deemed confusing, at least out of the gate. I can see the eventual need for more, but I welcome having folders in general and it being fast and effective.

Another compliant I'm reading is the folder staying open when you leave an app and come back to the Home screen. I wholeheartedly agree with Apple here. I want the last folder I open to remain open until I close it. If I'm going through a series of apps in a folder I don't want to go back to the Home screen just to flip through pages to find the appropriate folder again.

Quote:

p.s. I think it would be super cool and geeky if we could import our own app icons we've made in say PS to use as folder icons. Easy to do on a Jailbroken iPhone for sure.

That would be a nice option to have, even if they had an option like they do in iChat to a an avatar where you get to choose an image then center and resize. Even if it was done through the iTunes app I'd be happy with that. I think the problem with that is like the issue above, over-complicating the device for no real gain for the average user. After all and in Apple's defense, you did mention creating icons using Photoshop.
  • Reply 242 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

No, of course you haven't.

the reason?

you have been, & are being, brainwashed by thee dominant paradigm...

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

checking out from this site, checking out from on-line. Gh0d help you all.

Seriously & humorously,

me. 23 Skidoo.... my lovely peeps

<bounce> </bounce>

Can I have that minute of my life back please?
  • Reply 243 of 257
    I would really like my tree frog back. Any help?

I also dislike the picture background - too busy. Want plain black back.
  • Reply 244 of 257
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple likes to build in steps. They could have made the folders hold folders within folders or scroll apps to hold as many as you with.

Since we're talking about folders. One thing that would be nice to have at some point is a way to "secure" a folder, maybe with your lock PIN or password. That way, you have a nice place to put all those apps you may not want anyone to *ahem* stumble upon (when you give your phone to your little niece to play with, for example). Just a thought.
  • Reply 245 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

No, of course you haven't.

the reason?

you have been, & are being, brainwashed by thee dominant paradigm...

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

checking out from this site, checking out from on-line. Gh0d help you all.

Seriously & humorously,

me. 23 Skidoo.... my lovely peeps

<bounce> </bounce>

Anger management. Funny how we cant spell and our punctuation is bad but yet were the world leaders in INNOVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiss my American Butt!!!!!!
  • Reply 246 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Since we're talking about folders. One thing that would be nice to have at some point is a way to "secure" a folder, maybe with your lock PIN or password. That way, you have a nice place to put all those apps you may not want anyone to *ahem* stumble upon (when you give your phone to your little niece to play with, for example). Just a thought.

Interesting idea as I do have an Accounts folder, but I think that needs to be taken one step further. Instead of having extra security within your iPhone's "user account" after you already have entered a PIN or passphrase, I'd like to see a Guest Account option that offers limited access to certain apps and features from the locked Home screen.

I think this is considerably more important on the iPad where it's much more likely to be used by other parties.
  • Reply 247 of 257
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

I would really like my tree frog back. Any help?

I was a bit shocked by the fact that there appears not to be an option to go back to NO background picture. How did that slip past them? Once you've selected on, you've got to have SOME background forever apparently.
  • Reply 248 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

Some folks are taking a picture while the camera lens is covered (taking a picture of black, nothing). Then use that (from your Camera roll) as the wallpaper.
  • Reply 249 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I was a bit shocked by the fact that there appears not to be an option to go back to NO background picture. How did that slip past them? Once you've selected on, you've got to have SOME background forever apparently.

Yeah, i made my own black background to add to my short list of lock screen backgrounds via iPhoto.

For me, this wasn't difficult because I already had made a black background years ago Mac OS X since they plain colour options don't have a colour palette option until you choose an image that doesn't cover the entire display. Perhaps ironically, it was made using MS Paint, probably around 2002.
  • Reply 250 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Some folks are taking a picture while the camera lens is covered (taking a picture of black, nothing). Then use that (from your Camera roll) as the wallpaper.

I'd rather use a much smaller image and one that I know is #000000 at every pixel. Google Images is great for this.

Here is one:
  • Reply 251 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Although a minor footnote for most people, its nice to see that IPv6 support has now been included.

I've seens the screenshoots where IPv6 is there below all the parameters of the WLAN, but I just downloaded iOS 4 and is not there for me. I rebooted, and nothing. There is any trick ? I even tried in an IPv6 enabled WLAN, nothing ...
  • Reply 252 of 257
    Just noticed something that made me happier than finding out that they fixed the TV episode sorting problem, and I had to comment on it.

Spell checking has reverted back to correcting "im" to "I'm". For some reason, all through 3.x they corrected "im" to "IM". I can't tell you how many times I had to manually insert that apostrophe. Woohoo!

• Reply 253 of 257
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    all apps are less responsive, safari crashes more, just sluggish

anyone else with a 3g have same issues????

is it possible to revert to 3.x
  • Reply 254 of 257
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I dunno but maybe:

reset phone to factory settings

use Time Machine to take iTunes back to before your update

??

Or something like that.
  • Reply 255 of 257
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I think almost everyone with a 3G iPhone who upgraded to iOS4 is having problems. Apple can't delete the threads about this fast enough in their own forum. Resetting and restoring is only a temporary fix.

It is possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 again, but, it's not easy. Here are the steps:

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to...s-4-to-ios-313
  • Reply 256 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Trajectory beat me to it...
  • Reply 257 of 257
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I haven't had any problems with my 3G yet, though a few things are slightly slower.

This is one reason why Apple didn't give this to the 2G.