Apple e-mail says iPhone 4 will deliver a day early, on June 23

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    I too got the Apple email stating that my iPhone 4 WILL deliver by June 23rd, a day early. The email says to start tracking the delivery on FedEx site starting the Morning of June 23. I just called FedEx on the morning of the 23rd at about 9:30am New Jersey and they said Apple is wrong. The package will NOT deliver on the 23rd, but will deliver on the 24th. Glad I didn't take the day off to receive the package at home!
  • Reply 62 of 77
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

I too got the Apple email stating that my iPhone 4 WILL deliver by June 23rd, a day early. The email says to start tracking the delivery on FedEx site starting the Morning of June 23. I just called FedEx on the morning of the 23rd at about 9:30am New Jersey and they said Apple is wrong. The package will NOT deliver on the 23rd, but will deliver on the 24th. Glad I didn't take the day off to receive the package at home!

I just happened to be sick today but I should be back at work tomorrow. Let's hope today is the day even though my phone says it is still getting sorted.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

WTF to those dickheads at FedEx. My phone arrived in Newark at 2:30am on June 22nd and just sat there until 10:30pm. Today is enroute to my local FedEx facility (in my zip code), and will be delivered tomorrow. I wish that Apple had not sent that email yesterday...getting my hopes up. Why does it take 2 days for a package to move from Newark to Midtown Manhattan?!?! At my business, we're shipping with UPS from now on....
  • Reply 64 of 77
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    My own faith has definitely faltered. My package departed from Memphis, TN: about 4 hrs. from me in Birmingham, AL, at about 2:30 this morning. The status has not changed. My estimated delivery is today by 10:30. The tracking page keeps saying that the delivery is on schedule. We all know, though, that if it is not on the truck by now, it ain't gonna make it.

None of that means that we won't get our packages. It just means that one of the pieces of information that we are relying on is wrong. Either the packages are not on schedule and we will not be getting our packages, or everything is on schedule and the page is not being updated...

STOP THE PRESSES!!

Even as I was typing, the FedEx truck pulled up and I have just taken delivery of the package. Don't believe the tracking page. They can't keep up with real-time tracking of a launch this big, according to the delivery man.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    I'm thinking I wont see mine either until tomorrow as Fed Ex hasnt updated my tracking since leaving Memphis ar 3:42 this morning which sounds to me like it is traveling ground rather than air. I wasnt too hopefull about getting it today, even tho I got the email from apple. My tracking lists that it was received in Shenzen after the Fed Ex cut off. Funny part is now I am not sure which New England hub it will come thru which makes a big difference on delivery time.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

My own faith has definitely faltered. My package departed from Memphis, TN: about 4 hrs. from me in Birmingham, AL, at about 2:30 this morning. The status has not changed. My estimated delivery is today by 10:30. The tracking page keeps saying that the delivery is on schedule. We all know, though, that if it is not on the truck by now, it ain't gonna make it.

None of that means that we won't get our packages. It just means that one of the pieces of information that we are relying on is wrong. Either the packages are not on schedule and we will not be getting our packages, or everything is on schedule and the page is not being updated...

STOP THE PRESSES!!

Even as I was typing, the FedEx truck pulled up and I have just taken delivery of the package. Don't believe the tracking page. They can't keep up with real-time tracking of a launch this big, according to the delivery man.

That's awesome...you've given me some hope!
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott_in_Manhattan View Post

That's awesome...you've given me some hope!

Take heart, young padowin. The force is with you; the force is with us all.

Oh my god, it's beautiful! I know how I sound right now... but, oh my god! Apple knows how to make you drool.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    kurt737kurt737 Posts: 8member
    Has anyone heard if people are picking their phones up early if they pre-ordered at a brick and mortar AT&T store? That's what I did and I still haven't heard anything.

BTW, I'm switching to AT&T from Verizon just for the new iPhone. I've been calling the store since 9am (when they opened) and it just keeps ringing and ringing until an automated voice comes on and said everyone is busy and gives me the option to return to the main menu. I hope this isn't an indication to what the customer service is going to be like!! Why didn't I just order online like my gut told me to?!\
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurt737 View Post

Has anyone heard if people are picking their phones up early if they pre-ordered at a brick and mortar AT&T store?

This is going to hurt, but it's best to pull the knife out fast.

It will never happen. It's the 24th for you.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    kurt737kurt737 Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

This is going to hurt, but it's best to pull the knife out fast.

It will never happen. It's the 24th for you.

Argh!! That's not what I wanted to hear! haha

I finally got through to the local AT&T store after calling and hanging up constantly for the past 45 min. What a joke! When the girl finally picked up, I asked her and she seemed a little confused at first and then said they could be getting the phones in anywhere from Thursday to Saturday. What an idiot... Why don't these people know more solid details about their newest/ biggest release in years the day it's supposed to come out? Anyway, I asked her to look my number up and she says it has been shipped, but she didn't know when it would come in. Oh well.... I guess I'll just have to keep drooling over you guy's phones!
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

I'm thinking I wont see mine either until tomorrow as Fed Ex hasnt updated my tracking since leaving Memphis ar 3:42 this morning which sounds to me like it is traveling ground rather than air. I wasnt too hopefull about getting it today, even tho I got the email from apple. My tracking lists that it was received in Shenzen after the Fed Ex cut off. Funny part is now I am not sure which New England hub it will come thru which makes a big difference on delivery time.

I just received a phone call from my rental complex office and my phone has arrived. Verified the tracking number with them so Fed Ex is not updating their system from the looks of things. If you got the email from Apple with a delivery of today, dont give up hope and ignore Fed Ex tracking
  • Reply 72 of 77
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My phone just came to my door! There is hope like the above post stated. Fedex is not on top of their game.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

I just received a phone call from my rental complex office and my phone has arrived. Verified the tracking number with them so Fed Ex is not updating their system from the looks of things. If you got the email from Apple with a delivery of today, dont give up hope and ignore Fed Ex tracking

They are updating the tracking system. It's just that it has never been a completely real-time system.

Those handheld scanners that are used by truck drivers don't maintain a constant network connection. Meaning, updates are sent in batches at periodic intervals. Some of the older hardware is likely not wireless at all. I haven't checked recently, but it used to be the case that some of the scanners had to be docked for the data to uploaded.

The same is even true for distribution centers. They don't immediately send package data every single time any package is updated. The shipping couriers have far too many facilities, spread over a multiple continents, for that to be feasible at this time. Keep in mind that many mail order companies also need to send updates. Real-time would require seriously big hardware and bandwidth requirements.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Has anyone in the UK received their iPhone 4 yet?

I was charged on the 22nd and 3.20am GMT 23rd an email confirmation was received saying the iPhone 4 has been dispatched via UPS.

No update yet to where abouts in the country it is or an expected arrival time on the 24th. Rubbish!
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

They are updating the tracking system. It's just that it has never been a completely real-time system.

Those handheld scanners that are used by truck drivers don't maintain a constant network connection. Meaning, updates are sent in batches at periodic intervals. Some of the older hardware is likely not wireless at all. I haven't checked recently, but it used to be the case that some of the scanners had to be docked for the data to uploaded.

The same is even true for distribution centers. They don't immediately send package data every single time any package is updated. The shipping couriers have far too many facilities, spread over a multiple continents, for that to be feasible at this time. Keep in mind that many mail order companies also need to send updates. Real-time would require seriously big hardware and bandwidth requirements.

FedEx just updated my tracking infomration to show the shipment left Forth Worth at 4:30 a.m. pst heading to my home in Palm Springs; this update lags by 7 hours. My credit card was also charged as of this morning. I believe AT&T, where if preordered, has one or more warehouses from which the June 24 deliveries are originating.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    After I posted my rant above about FedEx not delivering my phone today, about 2 hours later, it arrived at my office, as promosed by Apple.

Like others have stated, the FedEx tracking (while normally pretty reliable) seems meaningless in this case. Regardless of where the system says your phone is, you are probably getting it today if you got the email from Apple regarding early delivery yesterday.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Apparently my iphone was "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" since 8am this morning but the tracking system didn't show this until after 3pm.

And I was one of those people who didn't receive an email from apple saying I'd be receiving it early. Neither did the FedEx tracking page indicate the 23rd as the estimated delivery date. It always said the 24th.

Wooo! There just might be an iphone waiting for me when I get home.