Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

As it happens I do pay for tethering on top of my monthly £45 contract with O2, despite this I am unable to use it to tether my ipad hence using Mywi, please do not just assume people are stealing.

It was easier to all you a thief.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

ORLY?

Don't know what you mean. I pay for my data and I'm no data hog. I choose to use the plan I purchased the way I want to. I don't pay people for doing nothing especially in this case where support is an OS issue and doesn't involve work from AT&T in any way. In fact the only work they had to do was to set up the system to charge the customer.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    Pwnage tool It works like a charm on my 3G (not 3gs) - and ultrasn0w works too!

It's snappy and love the folders!
  • Reply 24 of 180
    d2photod2photo Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.

This is not a true statement. What I pay for is a "DATA" plan. How I choose to use that DATA plan be it tethering or web usage it's still data. The software was ALWAYS on the phone to utilize the data plan for tethering. Only AT&T had decided to cripple this service. There were work arounds with the IPCC file and AT&T changed that again getting rid of the MMS/Tethering ability.

Along come MyWI and others allowing not only to tether but allow for many to utilize what you are already paying for.

There needs to be no justification. Thats what I bought my phone for when advertised in a Keynote and to have AT&T not deliver for years was unacceptable.
  • Reply 25 of 180
    Quote:

Actually, you've supported the contention that people jailbreak their phone to steal. In your case, you're stealing a service that you didn't pay for. You don't like the terms offered for your service? No problem - don't sign up for it. But arguing that they SHOULD charge you less because of whatever excuse you want to use is petty rationalization. You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.

<ahem>bullshit</ahem>

When I finally do get around to jailbreaking, it will be to use features like wifi sharing (tethering is included in my plan) and being able to switch providers. Nothing wrong with either. I might also use it for direct file access or to buy/download legit apps that are not available on the AppStore. I will never use it to steal software.

Maybe it is time for you to stop with the unsubstantiated, blanket accusations of criminal activity. (I know, I know, leopards and spots)

It's really sad how many people rely on a corporation as their moral compass and to tell them what is right or wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 180
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

As it happens I do pay for tethering on top of my monthly £45 contract with O2, despite this I am unable to use it to tether my ipad hence using Mywi, please do not just assume people are stealing.

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

Like it or not, you're a thief.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

<ahem>bullshit</ahem>

When I finally do get around to jailbreaking, it will be to use features like wifi sharing (tethering is included in my plan) and being able to switch providers. Nothing wrong with either. I might also use it for direct file access or to buy/download legit apps that are not available on the AppStore. I will never use it to steal software.

Maybe it is time for you to stop with the unsubstantiated, blanket accusations of criminal activity. (I know, I know, leopards and spots)

It's really sad how many people rely on a corporation as their moral compass and to tell them what is right or wrong.

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

-changing providers

-enabling wifi tethering (now that they can pay for tethering)

-file system access

-installation of apps banned by the appstore

-customization of the UI

-faster access to common Settings

There are many other reasons one might jailbreak. I am sure there are many, maybe even the vast majority, that steal software, and they are dicks. But don't lump everyone into that category. AT&T allowing tethering only removes one reason for jailbreaking...and it actually strengths another (wifi sharing).
  • Reply 29 of 180
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

No, you ARE wrong not me. I pay for my contract, I also pay for the tethering option, if I had a netbook, notebook, pc or any number of other devices I could and in cases such as my MacBook pro, do use the internet tethered through my phone.

Lets just be clear, just for you and people like you I shall repeat myself, not only do I pay for my contract I also pay an additional fee to tether my iPhone to a computer/computers, I class the iPad as a computer, due to a technical limitation artifically placed onto the iPad by Apple, I cannot use the tethered internet which I pay for without using Mywi.

If you feel that somehow I am morally doing something wrong I think you need to recheck your moral compass, once again do not just assume that people are thieves!
  • Reply 30 of 180
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Not everyone who jailbreaks is a thief. My phone is over two years old and I've JB it to unlock it and run it on the carrier I desire.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Agreed

Concurrence with non-thinking reflects non-thinking. Welcome to the ranks of the sheeple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I have jailbroken off and on over the years, and I will agree with you, the pirating of apps is the most popular and worst part of it. I for one never pirated an app or even cared to know how to. I would jailbreak for things like MyWi so I could use my phone as a mobile hotspot and also blacklisting so I could keep those extremely annoying and pointless phone calls from coming through. I will admit, though, it is getting harder and harder to find reasons to do it.

If Apple addresses some shortcomings, then there won't be a need for it. You note mobile hotspot which other platforms and phones now have and the iPhone doesn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I've been jailbroken for the better part of a year on my 3GS, and I didn't do it to steal apps (all my apps are legit), I jailbroke it to fix the serious omissions in the OS. Things like information on the lock screen, time based sound muting, SMS replies without leaving the running app, proper use of the statusbar, adblock, rotation lock, my own test message sound (instead of the same 7 everybody has), multitasking, the list is endless.

iOS4 does not address the major reasons why I jailbroke in the first place. So I?m anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for iPhone4.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates?

Exactly and several of the features you note there are available on OTHER platforms. Time based sound profiles are a major feature of RIM. SMS replies without leaving the running app is still something that has not been addressed even in iOS4.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    Quote:

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.

I am in Canada. Tethering is included in my plan. I can tethering using any method I choose to any device I choose. If and when I decide I want to tethering via wifi, then because it is disabled in the OS, I would jailbreak to enable it.

very consistent.

And again, my 'sense of entitlement' is only because I am entitled to it. I pay for it. I am allowed to use it by my carrier. You may think it is wrong, but that isn't really surprising.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

If I buy a Nexus One that works on AT&T's 3G network and it gets update to Android 2.2, I have the ability to use my 2GB through a wireless hotspot function built into the phone's OS, and AT&T does not stop me from doing it. Why is it any different for a user of an iPhone? Because AT&T says it is, that's why. What they are doing is wrong. I pay them for 2GB of data, no matter how it's sliced or how it's used, they do not have the right to care. As long as I don't go over that 2GB threshold, there is no reason why I should not be able to use a mobile hotspot feature.

EDIT: In conclusion, just because a corporation says it is so, does not make it so. They are just as liable to mistakes and unfair practices as any jailbreaker. I'm okay with rules and terms, but when those rules and terms are unfair or unbalanced to a very specific group of people, then things need to be changed.
  • Reply 33 of 180
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Right up to the moment AT&T took away my ability to turn on and off my unlimited iPad data on a month by month basis, I never would have considered jailbreaking. I've always had good coverage with AT&T, rarely dropped calls, and overall I've had great service from them. But the whole "bait and switch" thing with the iPad has really pissed me off. Yup, jailbreaking for mifi purposes is not allowed in the contract. But after the screw-over that is the new iPad data plan (keeping the $30/mo turned on to keep unlimited data and not being able to get that deal on new iPads), I really don't care any more. If AT&T expects their customers to act in an ethical manner, they need to behave ethically themselves; wrt the iPad, they have not done so.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    Quote:

What the fuck, man?!!?

he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?
  • Reply 35 of 180
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

How is it exactly that possibly breaking the TOS mean you're a thief? He is paying for his data. What difference does it make how he uses it? He is using the data he paid for while the carrier has to do no work to support it.

Is it just that whatever a carrier does is right or is this a morality issue? If it's the latter you are wrong.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    Quote:

Have you ever jailbroken? Jailbreaking is useful because it allows you to customize your lock screen, which I used to use to display all of my sms, emails, calendar events, and notifications, that way if i got 8 or 9 notifications I could view all of them. That same screen became the first screen on my iphone, kinda a workaround to fix apple's broken notifications system. It also allowed me to setup my phone to have access to all of my settings by swiping the top bar, useful for turning up and down brightness, toggling wifi and 3g on and off, all important when trying to get the most battery life out of an aging 3g. Its called Sbsettings and its something I can barely function without on my iphone, making me hope the next iphone is jailbroken quickly. Add in quicksms, which allows you to reply to sms messages within the notification pop up or on the lock screen, support for apps apple hasn't approved (wifi sync comes to mind) and the customization so many people love (changing icons, fonts, battery icon, etc) which I find to be a waste of resources, and you get a picture of why we jailbreak.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

If I buy a Nexus One that works on AT&T's 3G network and it gets update to Android 2.2, I have the ability to use my 2GB through a wireless hotspot function built into the phone's OS, and AT&T does not stop me from doing it. Why is it any different for a user of an iPhone? Because AT&T says it is, that's why.

That's right. AT&T says it's wrong. You do NOT have the right to do what you're doing under your contract.

I agree that it's unreasonable. If tethering mattered to me, I'd choose a different phone and/or provider. But that doesn't change the fact that you admit that WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT ALLOWED BY YOUR CONTRACT.

You are taking a service that is not part of your contract. Period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What the fuck, man?!!?

he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?

His plan does not allow him to do what he's doing. I don't care whether it's $0.50 per month or $50,000 per month. He's doing something that he knows is not covered by his contract.

This entire thread is a great example of the entitlement I"m taking about. A number of people admit that what they're doing is not covered by their plan. Their provider does not allow it and wants to charge them considerably more money to do it. They don't think it's fair, so they do it, anyway.

As I said, no sense of right or wrong any more.
  • Reply 38 of 180
    "The previous hack, PwnageTool 4.0, was not compatible with the iPhone 3GS."

You're a moron. I'm tired of "journalists" posting blatant BS like the above and STILL unable to convey what the hell PwnageTool did/does.

Version 4.0 as well as the new version 4.01 both support the iPhone 3GS with the OLD bootloader. Newer iPhone 3GS are still not supported and neither is the iPhone 4.

The difference between version 4.0 and 4.01 is that they fixed a bug that prevented iBooks from working.

That's it. Now how hard was to just mention that ?!?!

Adi
  • Reply 39 of 180
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

That's right. AT&T says it's wrong. You do NOT have the right to do what you're doing under your contract.

I agree that it's unreasonable. If tethering mattered to me, I'd choose a different phone and/or provider. But that doesn't change the fact that you admit that WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT ALLOWED BY YOUR CONTRACT.

You are taking a service that is not part of your contract. Period.

His plan does not allow him to do what he's doing. I don't care whether it's $0.50 per month or $50,000 per month. He's doing something that he knows is not covered by his contract.

This entire thread is a great example of the entitlement I"m taking about. A number of people admit that what they're doing is not covered by their plan. Their provider does not allow it and wants to charge them considerably more money to do it. They don't think it's fair, so they do it, anyway.

As I said, no sense of right or wrong any more.

Ok, let me mellow out a little and respond to this on your level, my Terms of Service with O2 do not say that I cannot tether an iPad to my phone, Apple provides no software option for me to tether my iPhone to my iPad and I therefore have no option but to use an app like Mywi to tether my iPhone to my iPad.

Now kindly stop referring to people as thieves.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    I'm chomping at the bit to get my iphone 4 jailbroken. Why?

SBSettings - easy, simple access by swiping across the status bar to tons of system toggles, a little calculator, a mini notepad. This *was* key to having rotation lock before, but it's not so important for that measure anymore. It's still going to be great for turning on/off wifi and airplane mode, and changing the screen brightness easily.

LockInfo - view my calendar, unread emails/texts, time and weather forecast all on the lockscreen, with easy access to replies and mail previews, all directly from the lock screen. It is truly awesome, and I can't believe apple hasn't implemented it. Also, double click on home button to have a full-brightness 'flashlight' instantly.

Weathericon - weather in the status bar at all times

AutoSilent - syncs with my iphone calendar to turn ringer off when I'm in meetings, as well as during the night. It's amazingly configurable, and great.

There are others, but those four make my phone incredibly more usable than a vanilla iphone.