iPhone 4 lines at Apple stores grow as early deliveries arrive

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Less than 24 hours before the official launch of the iPhone 4, lines of customers camped out at Apple stores continue to grow, while many who preordered online began receiving their handset Wednesday.

Customers were seated as comfortably as they could be with portable chairs and coolers outside Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store on Wednesday morning.

The camp-outs began last week, when a 25-year-old Dallas man got in line outside the Apple store on Knox Street. Justin Wagoner has braved the 100-degree heat with the aid of a tent, sleeping bag, ice chest, and changes of clothes, according to The Dallas Morning News. He camped out for the last two iPhone releases as well, though those were only overnight stays.

"The heat is just killing me," he said of this year's weeklong wait.

Apple uncharacteristically authorized the early delivery of iPhone 4 for many who preordered the handset, as packages began arriving Wednesday. One AppleInsider reader in the Boston, Mass., suburbs said they received their iPhone 4 at 9:30 a.m. local time, and activated the handset via iTunes in less than 30 seconds.

Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ryan for the photo.

Another reader contacted FedEx after their tracking information did not show that their package was out for delivery. A company representative reportedly said their system was down due to a large number of shipment inquiries. The representative confirmed that the package was out for delivery, despite the fact that online tracking showed the package still in transit.

However, it should be noted that not all preorders are arriving today. Some who bought through Apple sent word that their package is not scheduled for delivery today, despite the fact that Apple sent out notice of a June 23 arrival. In addition, AT&T has said that all who managed to preorder will receive their device sometime this week.

Photo via Matt Richardson.

A handful of lucky customers received their iPhone 4 even earlier, on Tuesday. A California attorney received the handset delivered to his office, but was unable to activate it for a few hours. The issue was eventually resolved with the help of Apple and AT&T.

Shipments also began to arrive at Walmart, which will be selling the iPhone 4 on launch day along with Radio Shack and Best Buy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    What about the SoHo store?? Has a line formed there yet?

I'm going to go to SoHo tonight at 3AM!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    As Expected...

Let's just hope that those stores have a suitable supply of cases to protect that 'alleged' scratch-proof glass surface -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/y...-the-iphone-4/
  • Reply 3 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gotta love the line people!
  • Reply 4 of 74
    It is stunning to see -- let alone attempt to comprehend -- how Apple has become the cultural force of our time.

I can't think of even a rock band today that invites this kind of adulation.

Apple is doomed!™
  • Reply 5 of 74
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Guaranteed news coverage.

Don't see that kind of force for Android!

However, I am glad my phone showed up at my door 10 minutes ago even though FEDEX website said it was at the sort facility.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    I preordered at Radioshack on the first day. Apple's reservation system was down so they couldn't actually place the order but took orders by hand and said they'd call once they knew more. I hadn't heard anything so I called them Monday and amazingly still hadn't heard anything from Apple. I really hope I don't have to wait a month or more to replace my ancient 3G.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Finally got an email this morning from Apple with notification of shipping.

It gets even better as my son has just sent me a text at work saying its arrived.

Even better than that England are in the last 16 of the world cup!! Not forgetting the USA of course.

Does it get any better than this???.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The whole concept befuddles me. Time minus value doesn't even come close to being a positive number. On top of that, with home delivery in effect I have to assume this lines are much smaller than they would be otherwise.

PS: I have one come to my place via FedEx and the other coming via UPS. Both are scheduled for today. The one from UPS is technically mine so I of course want that to arrive first.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The whole concept befuddles me. Time minus value doesn't even come close to being a positive number. On top of that, with home delivery in effect I have to assume this lines are much smaller than they would be otherwise.

Personally, I would never wait in line for something that I could get shipped to my home. But I can understand the fun of the anticipation, camaraderie, etc. That is why people go to a movie debut at midnight when they can just go at lunchtime the next day.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Personally, I would never wait in line for something that I could get shipped to my home. But I can understand the fun of the anticipation, camaraderie, etc. That is why people go to a movie debut at midnight when they can just go at lunchtime the next day.

Apple pay them to do it. Makes great PR.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

That is why people go to a movie debut at midnight when they can just go at lunchtime the next day.

See, I go see the early showing during the day when it's less crowded. Not a fan of crowds, lines or waiting.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is stunning to see -- let alone attempt to comprehend -- how Apple has become the cultural force of our time.

I have a friend that pondered today what would have bigger lines.

the iphone 4

or the midnight release of Twilight 3.

I'm thinking it's a close race

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Apple pay them to do it.

No way would Apple pay anyone. That would leak out and not go over well.

And they don't have to. these folks want their 15 minutes and they will get it. Come tomorrow tons of blogs will have opening videos and these crazy folks that camped out will be all "I got my phone" like dweebs.

Apple still gets their PR, the stock goes up etc.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't think of even a rock band today that invites this kind of adulation.

It's sad how devote people are to a company, who at the bottom line have the best interests of shareholders first and foremost.

And 12 months from now they'll stand there again as the lust for the next phone ensues...and we'll be reminded 12 months from now just what we were missing with the iPhone 5 and how dated the technology of the iPhone 4 will be.

What I really question is when does Apple break this yearly cycle? It can't go on forever due to network capacity constraints/over-saturation/etc.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I admit to being somewhat fanatical when it comes to my Apple jones. But those line sitting mofos be crazy!
  • Reply 15 of 74
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Mine is scheduled to arrive at the AT&T store today via UPS. So once it's delivered, should I be able to stroll in and get it?
  • Reply 16 of 74
    neckraneckra Posts: 5member
    Seems the AT&T servers are down again!!! WTF!
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No way would Apple pay anyone. That would leak out and not go over well.

And they don't have to. these folks want their 15 minutes and they will get it. Come tomorrow tons of blogs will have opening videos and these crazy folks that camped out will be all "I got my phone" like dweebs.

Apple still gets their PR, the stock goes up etc.

I was joking.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

It's sad how devote people are to a company, who at the bottom line have the best interests of shareholders first and foremost.

And 12 months from now they'll stand there again as the lust for the next phone ensues...and we'll be reminded 12 months from now just what we were missing with the iPhone 5 and how dated the technology of the iPhone 4 will be.

What I really question is when does Apple break this yearly cycle? It can't go on forever due to network capacity constraints/over-saturation/etc.

There was not any wait for 3GS phones or 3G in my area. So, I think it is just major leaps when lines form. I consider iPhone 4 a major leap over the predecessors.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I waited in line for the 3G on launch day without pre-ordering. Took almost 6.5 hours in line to get my "white" 3G. Since the white phone is currently unavailable, i will be happy to reserve one for store pick-up when it is. No more lines for me. It's really not worth it. Not to mention having to take off work for something this trivial (at least at this point in the iPhone history).
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

But they also care about their customers, it's obvious because they create great products. I'm not fanatical about them but I realize they're well designed and well built. I'm waiting for my third iPhone and have an iMac, they're all been great products and have served me well. A lot more reliable than a lot of products from other companies who just churn out junk that breakdown after a short time.