iPhone 4 lines at Apple stores grow as early deliveries arrive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have a friend that pondered today what would have bigger lines.

the iphone 4

or the midnight release of Twilight 3.

I'm thinking it's a close race

Of course there is going to be longer line for a movie. However those lines tend to be for the midnight/next day evening shows. Go at 11 am and the line won't be as long, if it even exists. Go to the Apple store and the line will be there all day, for a couple of days. Hell the Galleria mall here in Houston had lines two weeks after the 3GS came out. Granted it wasn't nearly as long, but it's still a line.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Not to mention having to take off work for something this trivial (at least at this point in the iPhone history).

And there in lies the Troll.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Apple pay them to do it. Makes great PR.

Yes, Apple pay people to wait in line. And purposefully leaked an actual iPhone 4 months early. Then set the cops on Gizmodo editors. And faked the moon landing.

Quote:

At least learn what 'troll' refers to before using it.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    No SIM ejection tool!?
  • Reply 25 of 74
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s!ke View Post

No SIM ejection tool!?

Just use a paperclip
  • Reply 26 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

And 12 months from now they'll stand there again as the lust for the next phone ensues...and we'll be reminded 12 months from now just what we were missing with the iPhone 5 and how dated the technology of the iPhone 4 will be.

What I really question is when does Apple break this yearly cycle? It can't go on forever due to network capacity constraints/over-saturation/etc.

Even when network capacity doesn't increase, other technology does. There are people that wish they would update more often, but I don't think that is a good idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Not to mention having to take off work for something this trivial (at least at this point in the iPhone history).

Quote:

A person is not a troll because you disagree. Also, I think antkm1 is right. It is by many measures a very nice product, but when you can have it delivered, is it really worth camping overnight in a concrete jungle for one?
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Wow.. So many virgins.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    [QUOTE=esXXI;1659276]Yes, Apple pay people to wait in line. And purposefully leaked an actual iPhone 4 months early. Then set the cops on Gizmodo editors. And faked the moon landing.

I knew it!!!!!!!

My suspicions have been confirmed!
  • Reply 29 of 74
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

What about the SoHo store?? Has a line formed there yet?

I'm going to go to SoHo tonight at 3AM!

You shouldn't have said that! Now a thousand people are going to show up at 2:59AM!
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:

how is he a Troll, He isn't knocking apple or the iPhone, he's knocking the idiots who waste a week of there life waiting in line to buy something the can just get a week later. As much as I want the new iPhone.. ya this is just pathetic.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

Apple pay them to do it. Makes great PR.

lol right.. cause clearly iPhone 4 needs the exposure..
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

It's sad how devote people are to a company, who at the bottom line have the best interests of shareholders first and foremost.

Yeah, as a shareholder too, I say 'Bring it on, baby! Create more wealth for me!'
  • Reply 33 of 74
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Its sort of baffling that people are willing to wait in line like this, but at the same time I could see how it would be a fun experience.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    hooking it up to itunes as we speak!!!

Can i get a hell yeah???????????????????? lol
  • Reply 35 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Personally, I would never wait in line for something that I could get shipped to my home. But I can understand the fun of the anticipation, camaraderie, etc. That is why people go to a movie debut at midnight when they can just go at lunchtime the next day.

Unfortunately, many didn't have a choice. Although I got my pre-order in for the 24th, it failed repeatedly when trying the ship option. I finally gave up and selected the 'pick-up' option.

At this point, this just makes me want to avoid the apple store like the plague. I have no choice though, as they will only hold the phone for the 24th. I'll probably hit it around 9 or 10 and hope that some of the lines have died down.

I'm not sure if getting there early is a good idea or not at this point, given stories like this one. Anyone want to comment who's done the early bird before?
  • Reply 36 of 74
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The whole concept befuddles me. Time minus value doesn't even come close to being a positive number. On top of that, with home delivery in effect I have to assume this lines are much smaller than they would be otherwise.

True, to many geeks it is befuddling that some people actually seek out public interaction.

People standing in those lines aren't doing it just for the new phone. They're also there for the excitement, attention, and socialization. For some, perhaps even most, the phone is secondary, even if they don't realize it.

For example, people don't attend concerts just for the music. People don't go to restaurants just for the food. People don't go to theaters just for the movie. It is the entire experience which is compelling.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Just got a visit from my local FedEx driver....iPhone4 in hand !!! Wooohoooo
  • Reply 38 of 74
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Let me see if I read this right: People checking for their deliveries slowed down the FedEx site?!
  • Reply 39 of 74
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Bullshit.

Prove it to me by meeting in the dark alley behind the Blue Oyster Bar tonight at 11 p.m. so I can see it for myself. Don't mind my two friends.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    [QUOTE=geekdad;1659293]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

Yes, Apple pay people to wait in line. And purposefully leaked an actual iPhone 4 months early. Then set the cops on Gizmodo editors. And faked the moon landing.

If the smartphone existed at the time, Nasa could have faked the moon landing and shot it in HD on their iPhone 4. Too bad they didn't have iPhones in the seventies.

Or did they???