Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    So, just so we're clear - my 32GB 3Gs that I bought on launch day and have never JB'd can or cannot be JB'd with this?

I only care because I'm thinking about selling it on eBay to finance a new iPhone 4 and non- JB'd iPhones aren't worth crap (relatively speaking).
  • Reply 62 of 180
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

To those who don't have any issue with jailbreaking: Ignore the ones who do. They don't understand, and they are exactly the type of nitwits who were so eager to be hallway monitor back in elementary school, or who would tell on anyone about anything that seemed even mildly wrong.

And also the type of nitwits who are having their apps massively pirated.
  • Reply 63 of 180
    Is it strange that nobody has yet just called jragosta out for trolling?

Seems pretty clear that's what he's doing imo.
  • Reply 64 of 180
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So your argument isthat taking without permission and with explicit acknowledgment that you don't have permission is in no way stealing?

I thought he meant that ragosta didn't know whether he was potentially breaking his contract but he was quick to call him a thief.

I don't think what the UK guy did is stealing. He wasn't taking something without permission but rather taking something that already belonged to him. He is paying for two data plans. Something tells me the carrier won't be cancelling his plans considering he giving them good cash within the bounds of the cap.

I respect your opinion but it surprises how many defend carriers even though they're morally wrong. You questioned AT&T about this as well. To me, right does not always equate with legality. Sometimes you need to Think Different.
  • Reply 65 of 180
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

All universal attributions are wrong. Think about it.

When posters cite everyone/no one, all [name your sub-category of humanity], or use statements like "you all are" it is an invitation to disregard pretty much anything that follows as false. It becomes a convenient filter flag, and allows anyone who cares to dynamically filter the more bozo'd entries in these threads.

So saarek, while you have practical considerations that drive your justification to jail-break, note that you specifically ARE justifying it. That is, you are defending a questionable activity with reasons WHY it should be allowed or supported. Which is fine - but don't expect universal moral support for it either - right?

His using it in no way justifying how others use it. You use the internet. So do pedos. Doesn't mean you are 'justifying' their activities on the internet. I use iTunes to rip my CDs. Some pirates so as well. Doesn't mean my justifying my usage is also justifying theirs.
  • Reply 66 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

And also the type of nitwits who are having their apps massively pirated.

very few of those with the 'holier than thou' attitude here have apps that are being pirated. Some might. Most don't.
  • Reply 67 of 180
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

very few of those with the 'holier than thou' attitude here have apps that are being pirated. Some might. Most don't.

They deplore the theft, even though they are not direct victims of the theft?

That seems correct to me.
  • Reply 68 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Can you tether over wifi with an unjailbroken phone? Why is AT&T charging for a service that your phone, not AT&T provides? I'm glad the carriers in Canada aren't charging for that yet.

I had my iPhone jailbroken for a while and purchased apps from Cydia and Rock, never once did I download a pirated app. I didn't even look into how to do so, because that wasn't why I jailbroke my iPhone. Remain ignorant if you want, but there is more to jailbreaking than pirated apps, even after iOS 4.
  • Reply 69 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I respect your opinion but it surprises how many defend carriers even though they're morally wrong. You questioned AT&T about this as well. To me, right does not always equate with legality. Sometimes you need to Think Different.

Speaking of thinking different, I don't consider stealing to black and white issue. I don't consider it automatically immoral or illegal. I see nothing criminal about breaking your contract with a carrier trying to get more than you originally agreed to. I've made mention to my excessive unauthorized tethering on this site more than a few times.

The difference is that I also don't feel entitled to break a contract simply because I no longer choose to abide by it. If AT&T had canceled or throttled my account because of my 40GB per month usage then that is their right. It would have sucked but I am realize the risk I was taking.
  • Reply 70 of 180
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurchon View Post

So when he pays for a internet service thru any provider he has in the UK, connects it to a router, is he stealing internet for his iPad? That is what he is doing with his iPhone. Turning it into a router. He is PAYING for the tethering service on his iPhone therefore he has a valid data plan and the courier of his choice knows he is sharing the 3G service with other devices.

The simple fact that he had to jailbreak his phone to get the software to do this doesn't mean he is stealing any services for getting internet to his iPad.

Remember, that some people want easier ways or don't have home internet, or take the iPad on the go all the time. This is why there are seperate plans for the iPad. However that doesn't mean it is the only legit way to get the services.

BTW, for those pointing fingers, I hope your life is squeaky clean, open every traffic law, city by-law, state (province or whatever) law.

What I feel is sad are those who know they are wrong, but ego/pride gets in the way and they have to continue to argue or defend their point without saying a simple word. "Sorry".

Again, I said nothing about stealing did I? Nor did I point fingers - and yet you demonstrated as conclusively as I could have wanted the immediate defensiveness, and ends/means justification. Let's look at the logic train in your statements above:

He has an iPhone he WANTS software that will allow him to do something. Now none of this puts food on the table, provides medicine when he's sick or keeps the roof over his head - so we are not talking about basic survival needs, but WANTS. So it doesn't get graced with anything other than a desire to do something - a moral grey area. And again you state "Remember, that some people want easier ways or don't have home internet, or take the iPad on the go all the time. This is why there are seperate plans for the iPad. However that doesn't mean it is the only legit way to get the services."

Here you have resorted to the "WANT" meme yet again. And then, instead of simply shrugging and saying "it's what he wanted to do" and leaving it at that (against the detractors) you launch into an entirely unnecessary

Quote:

BTW, for those pointing fingers, I hope your life is squeaky clean, open every traffic law, city by-law, state (province or whatever) law.

If you are doing something that you desired to do because you desired to do it, and it is not hurting anyone else (that you know of), IOW, you are not setting out to deliberately harm or defraud someone else, why all the scrambling to defend and justify and deflect? Isn't it much easier to simply grin and say "yep I did it. It works for me and I'm not hurting anyone else. "

Let the rules OCD'd posters rant and spittle and gibber and froth all they want - if you are satisfied with the end result of acting on your desires - then enjoy the satisfaction and ignore the rest. BUT, if you have the niggling little voice in the back of your head that joins in the chorus of accusations, then what you have done is not right, and you know it, and no amount of deflection and defensiveness and justification will change that and you are being false to yourself as well. Especially if you find yourself reacting negatively to the accusations - a sure sign you are uncertain as to the acceptability of the behavior.

Jailbreaking is not what Apple desires, but do their desires weigh more than your own? Probably not. This is the easy stuff. The rest is just gassin' about stupid stuff.

• Reply 71 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

They deplore the theft, even though they are not direct victims of the theft?

That seems correct to me.

Don't move the goal posts now. We were talking about people being 'hall monitors' with respect to the attitude towards jailbreakers in general.

No, these people deplore people engaging in activities that might possibly be used for theft and therefore equate that everyone engages in those activities to thieves.

You use the internet and iTunes, I guess. You must be a thief. Thieves use both of those.
  • Reply 72 of 180
    leesureleesure Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Around a month ago I felt the exact way as you do now, since then I have bought an iPad and jailbroken my iPhone so that I can use Mywi, I pay for all of my iPhone apps as well as the 3 Jailbroken apps that I have, my data usage is only around 300mb a month and I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.

The idea that all jailbreakers are just thieves is wrong, as I have proven to myself.

The app store has probably had around £400 of my money over the last 2 and a bit years, just because my iPhone is now jailbroken it is wrong to assume that I will now steal everything.

+1.

That's the exact reason I jailbroke after 3 years of not doing it. The 1st poster commented about people stealing services they should be paying for...how about those who have paid for a service and are now being asked to pay again? Charging for tethering when the user is below the data usage limit is a joke and theft on the part of the provider. I already pay for that usage. How I use it should be up to me.
  • Reply 73 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankincredible View Post

Is it strange that nobody has yet just called jragosta out for trolling?

Seems pretty clear that's what he's doing imo.

But what a silly first entry to have made in the forum. Try to come up with something a little better for your next one - something a little pithier, perhaps a humorous story, a personal reflection or even a morality tale. Perhaps along the lines of:

"A funny thing happened to me on the way to the ATT store. I met a AI forum poster who loved to jailbreak his phone, but didn't pirate apps. Funny thing was he had an eyepatch. And a wooden leg. And a parrot on his shoulder. And now that I think about it, he looked an awful lot like Jack Sparrow - on a good day. But there weren't any stolen apps on his iPhone - he showed me. After he went on his way though, I noticed a couple of apps missing from MY iPhone. Strange hunh?"

Something like that.

• Reply 74 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Grrrrr look at me!!!! I'm a pirate!!!!!

(page 2 of my dock)

(old 2.x when I still had an iPhone 3G)

Oh wait... guess I'm not.

There's plenty of reasons to jailbreak, not all of us steal software. iOS4 gets rid of many reasons to jailbreak, but until there's an official option to install whatever someone chooses, there's a;ways going to be INNOVATIVE apps available on alternative stores. Please don't group us together as a band of pirates.
  • Reply 75 of 180
    I love the DevTeam. They are a great bunch of guys providing a valuable service.

I do not condone theft of software or theft of anything. Jailbreaking is 1) NOT illegal, 2) is NOT theft, and 3) allows functionality that Steve Jobs doesn't think we should have.

I have recently been getting scammer calls on my cell phone. I've checked the Internet for the numbers and indeed some scammer is using spoofed VOiP numbers to make calls and try to get credit card numbers. I'm on the DoNotCall registry list, but these people aren't legitimate anyway. I was getting several calls a week from 7am to 11pm. Steve Jobs doesn't seem to want to allow an app that would blacklist phone numbers. iBlacklist tothe rescue - available only from Cydia to jailbroken iPhones. I paid for the app and now I have successfully blocked several numbers. No more scammer calls wasting my time or minutes.

I pay for an unlimited data plan. AT&T contracted with me for unlimited data and I pay them for this. When the iPhone was first released, AT&T and Apple promised tethering. They did not live up to their promise. IMO, AT&T and Apple would be guilty of breach of promise. I'm pretty suprised that some lawyer hasn't filed a class action lawsuit. But then, I'm not a lawyer. So MyFi to the rescue - available from Cydia (to jailbroken iPhones). I tether about once every other month, but when I do, I need to. Aside from that, I'm still operating on my original contract with AT&T. It doesn't say I can't tether.

Three cheers for DevTeam for allowing me (and others) the ability to change and enhance our purchased product the way we want.
  • Reply 76 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Grrrrr look at me!!!! I'm a pirate!!!!!

There's plenty of reasons to jailbreak, not all of us steal software. iOS4 gets rid of many reasons to jailbreak, but until there's an official option to install whatever someone chooses, there's a;ways going to be INNOVATIVE apps available on alternative stores. Please don't group us together as a band of pirates.

That's pretty impressive.
  • Reply 77 of 180
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Speaking of thinking different, I don't consider stealing to black and white issue. I don't consider it automatically immoral or illegal. I see nothing criminal about breaking your contract with a carrier trying to get more than you originally agreed to. I've made mention to my excessive unauthorized tethering on this site more than a few times.

The difference is that I also don't feel entitled to break a contract simply because I no longer choose to abide by it. If AT&T had canceled or throttled my account because of my 40GB per month usage then that is their right. It would have sucked but I am realize the risk I was taking.

Maybe that is where you and I disagree in respect to tethering. I don't believe it is up to carriers to charge whatever they like for data you purchased.

In the case of AT&T they are charging you just because they can. They are doing nothing to give you feature. In fact it is Apple who has limited this feature in the US. I don't consider stealing what a company did nothing to earn and then charge for it.

You know this is the case with AT&T. Just because it's legal for a company to rob us doesn't make it right. There are gray lines in this issue is always easy to cross but I believe that carriers have clearly crossed it because they could. This is not considering that they have lobbyists that prevent regulation in these areas. I would never refuse fellow iPhone users because of the greed of AT&T.

Sometimes a little rebellion is necessary otherwise the system is beneficial to the haves against the have-nots. This is the reference to Think Different.

As I asked jragosta, if everything legal is moral, what about the American Revolution, French Recolution & segregation? Sometimes the status-quo needs to be challenged.
  • Reply 78 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Arrrrrrrrrr look at me!!!! I'm a pirate!!!!!

[pictures removed]

And let me translate the above into more traditional pirate language:

"Avast ye thar! We's got to free ar iPhones damme for a lubber else! Belike we's not stealin' softwarez, matey we's legit mariners, all free enterprise an' the like! Summ'us e'en got's letters of marque damm yer eyes! The guvner a' Cupertino done made it easier fer us to make a livin' as honest seamen yar, but until we'uns gets ar pardons and such, we'll ply the seas to make sure that thar aren't too many free-roamin' app lackin' fer PROPER seamanlike use else! An' we'uns aren'y no pirates no sir! We're freebootin' privateer traders we are! We got's rules *nudge* well, more like guidelines, and belong to the Distributed Enterprise Voleurs Transportation Eschalon Association of Merchants! Arrrrrrrrr."

there. Much better.
  • Reply 79 of 180
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

Speaking of thinking different, I don't consider stealing to black and white issue.

Ah, stealing comes in only black and white options. ATT is apparently out of the white version.

I see what you did there.
  • Reply 80 of 180
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

And let me translate the above into more traditional pirate language:

"Avast ye thar! We's got to free ar iPhones damme for a lubber else! Belike we's not stealin' softwarez, matey we's legit mariners, all free enterprise an' the like! Summ'us e'en got's letters of marque damm yer eyes! The guvner a' Cupertino done made it easier fer us to make a livin' as honest seamen yar, but until we'uns gets ar pardons and such, we'll ply the seas to make sure that thar aren't too many free-roamin' app lackin' fer PROPER seamanlike use else! An' we'uns aren'y no pirates no sir! We're freebootin' privateer traders we are! We got's rules *nudge* well, more like guidelines, and belong to the Distributed Enterprise Voleurs Transportation Eschalon Association of Merchants! Arrrrrrrrr."

there. Much better.

HAHAHAHA! *More like Guidelines*