Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

1235789

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.



    Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.







    Until AT&T and Apple create a way to officially unlock an iPhone that is no longer bound to a contract with the carrier, there will be a need to jailbreak to execute an unofficial unlock.



    I purchased an iPhone 3G in the states when it came out, but 2 months ago I was deployed (military) to the middle east. AT&T waived my ETF, as they do for any servicemember in this situation and obviously doesnt want to keep paying for something they can no longer use. However AT&T claim is they can unlock any phone for deploying servicemembers/out of contract individuals *except* the iPhone because of Apple's policy.



    The iPhone 3G is my lawful property, I jailbreaked/unlocked it because that was the only means available to gain the full functionality of it by utilizing a sim from a local carrier.
  • Reply 82 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post


    Maybe that is where you and I disagree in respect to tethering. I don't believe it is up to carriers to charge whatever they like for data you purchased.



    So if you sign a contract for UMLIMiTED data that clearly states that it's for data on the device and not data for another device, you think they don't have the right to control such data use or enforce a contract that you have willingly agreed to? I don't get how anyone can have that sense of entitlement to think it's their god's given right.
  • Reply 83 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post


    You shouldn't lump everyone together. Did you know that most App Store piracy occurs in Russia and China?



    I will jailbreak for tethering. I'm not going to pay $25/month so AT&T can do nothing. It wreaks of the "old days" when Verizon would cripple Bluetooth.



    While Apple has done a lot towards negating the need, there will always be a few geeks who will want more functionality like SSH.



    People have to get over the fact that jailbreaking doesn't equal piracy.



    Everyone is replying to my comments about lumping jailbreakers, I was actually lumping hackers. If you're going to accuse me of stereotyping at least get it right in who I'm stereotyping.



    Look, sharing your iPhone's internet connection in any way is Tethering. Terms of your data use or lack of tethering may be unfair but that is not justifiable cause to break those terms. The legal solution is to dump your carrier and phone and go with something else, like an Android phone.



    I miss features like tethering and multitasking (well not now) too but I choose iPhone and AT&T for the benefits I couldn't get on Verizon (awesome hardware, data and calls simultaneously, fast 3G). It's about weighing what is important to you, not getting the phone you think is pretty or the brand you like most.



    For a long time Verizon didn't sell devices with wifi, then it started costing them business so now they do. Things don't change for you unless you show providers that you can do without their business. Hacking the iPhone has only brought about tighter restrictions and limitations in data plans.



    I have several friends who are hackers, all great people. One thing they seem to have in common though, they do it for the thrill. You only hear the moral arguments after they are trying to justify what they just did. You can disagree with me all you want but I'm just not buying the "justifiable" arguments.
  • Reply 84 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post


    But what a silly first entry to have made in the forum. Try to come up with something a little better for your next one - something a little pithier, perhaps a humorous story, a personal reflection or even a morality tale. Perhaps along the lines of:



    "A funny thing happened to me on the way to the ATT store. I met a AI forum poster who loved to jailbreak his phone, but didn't pirate apps. Funny thing was he had an eyepatch. And a wooden leg. And a parrot on his shoulder. And now that I think about it, he looked an awful lot like Jack Sparrow - on a good day. But there weren't any stolen apps on his iPhone - he showed me. After he went on his way though, I noticed a couple of apps missing from MY iPhone. Strange hunh?"



    Something like that.





    Dang... and you only get ONE first post too. I dropped the ball.



    Truthfully, I've just been a lurker until I saw everyone getting mad that he was calling them thieves and was surprised nobody thought he was trolling.



    I wonder if such a pirate had a friend who was handy with cocoa and programmed a UI with multiple unlock codes and if you use a particular one, it hides all of your pirated apps.
  • Reply 85 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So if you sign a contract for UMLIMiTED data that clearly states that it's for data on the device and not data for another device, you think they don't have the right to control such data use or enforce a contract that you have willingly agreed to? I don't get how anyone can have that sense of entitlement to think it's their god's given right.



    Actually in the US I believe that if a provider actually gives you unlimited data that you can share limitlessly across other devices it categorizes them as a telecommunications company, which brings different taxes and fees (as I understand it anyway). This is why advertised "unlimited" plans from cell providers are actually capped at 5Gig and limited to per device plans.



    So anyone complaining about the terms of their data usage should talk to their US congressman/woman. That was actually changed just recently, under current administration to counter loopholes put in place by previous administration. I hate politics.
  • Reply 86 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    This is why advertised "unlimited" plans from cell providers are actually capped at 5Gig and limited to per device plans.



    This was never the case with the iPhone. Some carriers did advertise Unlimited but then had fine print in the contract regarding a 5GB cap. AT&T originally had this in their iPhone contract but later removed it.



    I am proof that they let you use unlimited data as I was violating my contract tethering and exceeding 5GB by a large margin.
  • Reply 87 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    -changing providers

    -enabling wifi tethering (now that they can pay for tethering)

    -file system access

    -installation of apps banned by the appstore

    -customization of the UI

    -faster access to common Settings



    There are many other reasons one might jailbreak. I am sure there are many, maybe even the vast majority, that steal software, and they are dicks. But don't lump everyone into that category. AT&T allowing tethering only removes one reason for jailbreaking...and it actually strengths another (wifi sharing).



    Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.
  • Reply 88 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    This was never the case with the iPhone. Some carriers did advertise Unlimited but then had fine print in the contract regarding a 5GB cap. AT&T originally had this in their iPhone contract but later removed it.



    I am proof that they let you use unlimited data as I was violating my contract tethering and exceeding 5GB by a large margin.



    I thought they grandfathered people and that was why some kept the truly unlimited plans. Like I said, I could be wrong but that was how it was explained to me that every cell provider all of a sudden was capping at 5Gig, something about that number relating to regulation changes by FCC.
  • Reply 89 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    I thought they grandfathered people and that was why some kept the truly unlimited plans. Like I said, I could be wrong but that was how it was explained to me that every cell provider all of a sudden was capping at 5Gig, something about that number relating to regulation changes by FCC.



    I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.
  • Reply 90 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.



    Or could not. As a network consultant I'm shocked at how difficult it seems to be for AT&T to block jailbroken users from their network completely. I'm just not sure they have proper restrictions in place to truly lock down their network, they've probably relied heavily upon the hardware manufacturers to do this for them.



    Who knows, could be too that since they also provide DSL services and standard phone service they don't care about being branded a telecommunications company cause they already are! Not sure why I didn't think about that before but they probably already pay the taxes and fees others are trying to avoid.
  • Reply 91 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.



    Except that is exactly what you did in your first post, and you've been trying to wiggle out of it since then.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.



    Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.



    "No masking" seals it. It's pretty clear that you believe the only reason to jailbreak is for "taking something without paying for it".
  • Reply 92 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Or could not. As a network consultant I'm shocked at how difficult it seems to be for AT&T to block jailbroken users from their network completely. I'm just not sure they have proper restrictions in place to truly lock down their network, they've probably relied heavily upon the hardware manufacturers to do this for them.



    Who knows, could be too that since they also provide DSL services and standard phone service they don't care about being branded a telecommunications company cause they already are! Not sure why I didn't think about that before but they probably already pay the taxes and fees others are trying to avoid.



    It's more than just blocking, they can look at my usage. I think they would be able to tell and at least threaten me with a deletion of my account. If they find me in violation of the contract I signed it would be in their right to cancel my contract (note: they don't sign it) and pay an ETF fee.
  • Reply 93 of 180
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 101member
    If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?
  • Reply 94 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.



    Capped data plans allow them to introduce tethering. Obviously you tethering your phone and using copious amounts of data was not what they intended the unlimited data plan for. It would be much harder to use that much data on an iPhone without tethering.



    Data caps were inevitable for this reason, but at the same time, now that your data is capped, what service is AT&T providing for tethering? You've already paid for a set amount of data, why should it matter how you spend it? Either way AT&T sends the data to your iPhone and the iPhone does something with it. AT&T is providing no additional service to warrant the cost of tethering. When you gas up at a gas station, the rates don't change based on where you tell the attendant you are going. Why should they? What's really sad is that some people actually support AT&T in this matter.



    PS: I don't think you did anything wrong in tethering your iPhone. You found a loophole and were prepared to face any consequences associated with it, and AT&T has since closed it (for new customers at least).
  • Reply 95 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post


    If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?



    Because such a phone does not exist. Obvious question gets obvious answer.
  • Reply 96 of 180
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The difference is that I also don't feel entitled to break a contract simply because I no longer choose to abide by it. If AT&T had canceled or throttled my account because of my 40GB per month usage then that is their right. It would have sucked but I am realize the risk I was taking.



    You are exactly why I hope that AT&T does start canceling people's contracts. 40GB per month is beyond excessive.
  • Reply 97 of 180
    aurchonaurchon Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post


    Again, I said nothing about stealing did I? Nor did I point fingers - and yet you demonstrated as conclusively as I could have wanted the immediate defensiveness, and ends/means justification.



    Show me where I pointed any fingers or said that you called him a thief?



    You were saying he had was justifying something and therefore hinting he had a guilty conscience that he was stealing. At least that is how I saw it. If I was mistaken and I offended you because I misread or read too much into your post, I apologize. Otherwise that is the only reason why I quoted your message. My post was mostly for the people attacking Saarek directly.



    It appeared to me that Saarek never was trying to justify what he did at first. He was simply sharing a story to help show that everyone who jailbreaks aren't thieves. Then people started to attack him. Then it became defensive.



    I am sorry does that make me wrong to think that he doesn't need to defend himself and try and aid him? I do not jailbreak, I do not have any need. Do I have a problem with it? No. Why should I? Why do others?



    I personally could not care what others think about jailbreaking. If they think it is wrong or right. People buy computers with Windows or Mac OS X and remove the OS and put different one on. People download software to modify system files to customize the system. Why should this be different for a phone?



    What offended me is that people thought this guy was stealing and was going on and on about it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post


    Especially if you find yourself reacting negatively to the accusations - a sure sign you are uncertain as to the acceptability of the behaviour.



    How is trying to help others see the logic to your actions negative or wrong? How can paying for a service and being creative to use that service, still within the means to do so, in any way questionable? Especially as you said, he isn't hurting anyone.



    This is my last post on this topic. I am sorry if you felt personally attacked Masternav, but I do not share your opinion with how you view this particular subject. I am sure you probably do not feel the same about others or even myself.
  • Reply 98 of 180
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    Because such a phone does not exist. Obvious question gets obvious answer.



    Then build one and stop hacking others or use the "open" platform that encourages this behavior.
  • Reply 99 of 180
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.



    Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.



    ok, ye of little intelligence, let me spell it out for you:



    UNLOCKING- #1 reason to jailbreak, if you travel internationally, it's a must.

    Winterboard- I don't use it, but many do.

    Intelliscreen- still no answer from Apple for this.

    SBSettings- crucial.

    Tethering- unrestricted and very nice.

    SSH- don't get me started.

    All-data SIM- I'm on a 100% data plan, like when you get one of those USB stick modems. There's a SIM card inside, pop it out and into the iPhone= superfast data with NO cap and phone calls to boot.

    And the best reason- because we feel like it.



    I have zero, nada, null, none, no pirated apps on my jailbroken phone. I pay for everything that's got a pricetag, through the Cydia sotre, Rock store, and App store. So stick it.
  • Reply 100 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post


    Then build one and stop hacking others.



    I'll just put you on ignore instead, I don't need to have grade school level arguments with you. My iPhone isn't even jailbroken right now. I just don't think it's unethical to modify a product that you've purchased to suit your needs, people have been doing that with cars for years.
Sign In or Register to comment.