Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

I can't decide if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.

My ipod touch is jail broken because I want to be able to compile and run any app I want, without it being vetted by apple first. I want to be able to retain apps that apple has pulled from the app store. I want to be able to run a full dev tool-chain on my ipod if I want to, have full directory access, and full control over *my device*. I want to be able to customize my UI more than apple's anemic built-in abilities. I don't want to get an android device because there are a lot of things I really like about iOS, but I do want to customize it a bit.

2 other points:

a) I don't need the warranty as much as I want these features, and you can sure as hell bet there are a lot of others like me!

but also, b) in respect to
    Quote:

others work hard to steal from those

, some people also happen to like to hack their devices, make them work in ways they werent marketed to.

My xbox at home serves as a streaming media center more than as a game console, and it used to function as server before being retired in favor of a mac mini (both btw running debian linux). Back when I lived a college house my beer fridge had temp sensors purloined from a broken imac. The list goes on

Hacking is fun, mate!
  • Reply 102 of 180
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Mmm lets see. For my 3G (which gets a limited version of the iOS):

1. Video

2. AutoSilent (which for $3 allows me to get around having to pay $199 for Apple to replace my broken audio on/off switch)

3. GV Mobile

4. iFile

5. Multi-tasking as per ios4 or through backgrounder (which has to be updated)

6. Themes

7. Wireless sync

8. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

9. Insomnia

10. PrivaCy app (to stop advertisers collecting stats about you)

11. SBSettings to quickly turn BT on/off, adjust brightness on the fly etc.

12. Firewall

13. The ability to put info like calendar on my lock screen

There are also a bunch of other apps I don't have, but which add features that have nothing to do with piracy or tethering:

infinboard, sbschedule, screenDimmer, fastphotolibrary, multiflow, fastreader, calendarpro, voicemail forwarder and a whole host of other apps.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i'd guess most jailbreakers are just hobbyists (aka nerds, geeks, techies, etc) who love to fool around with their gadgets, especially if it is unauthorized and a little tricky! let 'em have their fun - they know they are on their own if things go wrong.

stealing stuff can't be a big motive. how much in app payments might you avoid? a few hundred bucks max. it's not like file sharing movies, music, console games, or expensive MS software where the total can definitely go into the thousands. i'm sure some do, but it's chickenfeed.

as to the telcos - it's hard to see a moral issue there. the telcos screw consumerers as much as they can get away with (including buying Congress, etc), totalling in the billions every year. and a few jailbreakers screw the telcos back, totalling at most in the low millions. that's a thousand-to-one ratio. it's the good ol' American way!
  • Reply 104 of 180
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.

What you wrote was

Quote:

Which was wrong on a number of levels. Firstly, tethering already is available, even for the late to the party AT&T. Second, your assertion that once tethering is official, "there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.", which is of course, clear bullshit. If you were talking only about those that pirate software, then say that. Instead you lump them all under 'masking their agenda to steal software and services' with their claim of doing it for tethering. You were clearly lumping all jailbreakers and saying those that claim it is for functionality are lying and will have that exposed once those functions are built in. There are of course many customizations that people will always want above what is provided.

It may in fact be the case that most jailbreakers do pirate. That doesn't mean all. It is disingenuous, at best, for you to claim you weren't lumping them all together now.
  • Reply 105 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?

maybe because they like the rest of the package that the iPhone comes with. Maybe they love Apple products. Maybe they want to buy from and support Apple but want their device to do more than it can out of the box. Maybe because they can think for themselves and haven't become mindless drones.
  • Reply 106 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

You are exactly why I hope that AT&T does start canceling people's contracts. 40GB per month is beyond excessive.

They could of but didn't. They chose instead to cap plans.

Two things you should know: I have kept my unlimited plan specifically to wait for an hack to tether again and if they do cancel my plan won't be on these forums bellyaching about how AT&T. It's when thing to violate your contract it's another thing to not take responsibility for your actions.
  • Reply 107 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe because they like the rest of the package that the iPhone comes with. Maybe they love Apple products. Maybe they want to buy from and support Apple but want their device to do more than it can out of the box. Maybe because they can think for themselves and haven't become mindless drones.

+1 Interesting how "Think Different" has changed
  • Reply 108 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Interesting how "Think Different" has change

The fanbase certainly has changed. The nouveau Apple fans that have come on board since the iPhone and iPod certainly seem to have some of the old timers beat in zeal and blind devotion. We were humourously referred to as Mac-Addicts, -Cultists and -Zealots. Unfortunately, these days those terms apply without the humour attached. The new wave iFan seems to want to prove their devotion by turning off their brains. If Apple hasn't approved something, then it must be wrong.
  • Reply 109 of 180
    So you paid $599 or $699 for the phone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You shouldn't lump everyone together. Did you know that most App Store piracy occurs in Russia and China?

I will jailbreak for tethering. I'm not going to pay $25/month so AT&T can do nothing. It wreaks of the "old days" when Verizon would cripple Bluetooth.

While Apple has done a lot towards negating the need, there will always be a few geeks who will want more functionality like SSH.

People have to get over the fact that jailbreaking doesn't equal piracy.

• Reply 110 of 180
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Except that is exactly what you did in your first post, and you've been trying to wiggle out of it since then.

Where, show me where it said 100%. Explain to me how it's logical to assume that I meant 100%. It's a lame argument by people who can't counter so they try to discredit.

"No masking" seals it. It's pretty clear that you believe the only reason to jailbreak is for "taking something without paying for it".

It's pretty clear I believe the greatest motivation for hacking the iPhone was to gain unauthorized apps (including theft of legit apps) or to tether illegally. It's pretty clear I believe that is the greatest motivation behind it.

Can I be any more clear? Should I write an essay on the matter?
  • Reply 111 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

ok, ye of little intelligence, let me spell it out for you:

UNLOCKING- #1 reason to jailbreak, if you travel internationally, it's a must.

Winterboard- I don't use it, but many do.

Intelliscreen- still no answer from Apple for this.

SBSettings- crucial.

Tethering- unrestricted and very nice.

SSH- don't get me started.

All-data SIM- I'm on a 100% data plan, like when you get one of those USB stick modems. There's a SIM card inside, pop it out and into the iPhone= superfast data with NO cap and phone calls to boot.

And the best reason- because we feel like it.

I have zero, nada, null, none, no pirated apps on my jailbroken phone. I pay for everything that's got a pricetag, through the Cydia sotre, Rock store, and App store. So stick it.

Attack the intelligence and then confirm my claim. Thanks, perfect response.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    Quote:

It's pretty clear I believe the greatest motivation for hacking the iPhone was to gain unauthorized apps (including theft of legit apps) or to tether illegally. It's pretty clear I believe that is the greatest motivation behind it.

Can I be any more clear? Should I write an essay on the matter?

Yes & Yes (not that I would read it mind you but it would take your trolling self off someplace else for a while)
  • Reply 113 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Grrrrr look at me!!!! I'm a pirate!!!!!

Oh wait... guess I'm not.

There's plenty of reasons to jailbreak, not all of us steal software. iOS4 gets rid of many reasons to jailbreak, but until there's an official option to install whatever someone chooses, there's a;ways going to be INNOVATIVE apps available on alternative stores. Please don't group us together as a band of pirates.

There is, it's called Android. I love how everyone singles out app theft. Guilty by association eh?
  • Reply 114 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MWahlman View Post

Until AT&T and Apple create a way to officially unlock an iPhone that is no longer bound to a contract with the carrier, there will be a need to jailbreak to execute an unofficial unlock.

I purchased an iPhone 3G in the states when it came out, but 2 months ago I was deployed (military) to the middle east. AT&T waived my ETF, as they do for any servicemember in this situation and obviously doesnt want to keep paying for something they can no longer use. However AT&T claim is they can unlock any phone for deploying servicemembers/out of contract individuals *except* the iPhone because of Apple's policy.

The iPhone 3G is my lawful property, I jailbreaked/unlocked it because that was the only means available to gain the full functionality of it by utilizing a sim from a local carrier.

Yeah!!! an intelligent argument!! Everyone take note!

I concede to you MWahlman that I was indeed boisterous in my original claim, I concur that in your situation you were perfectly within your right.

Sadly I still believe you are in the minority.
  • Reply 115 of 180
    He is a thief.

Quote:

What the fuck, man?!!?

he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?

• Reply 116 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

He is a thief.

I could as easily call you a thief. But that would be ignorant.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Quote:

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.

So we should rely on your belief that something is true? Since you expect someone to show you the numbers, maybe you can provide numbers to support your accusations that the "vast majority" of jailbreakers are thieves.
  • Reply 118 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I can't decide if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.

My ipod touch is jail broken because I want to be able to compile and run any app I want, without it being vetted by apple first. I want to be able to retain apps that apple has pulled from the app store. I want to be able to run a full dev tool-chain on my ipod if I want to, have full directory access, and full control over *my device*. I want to be able to customize my UI more than apple's anemic built-in abilities. I don't want to get an android device because there are a lot of things I really like about iOS, but I do want to customize it a bit.

2 other points:

a) I don't need the warranty as much as I want these features, and you can sure as hell bet there are a lot of others like me!

but also, b) in respect to , some people also happen to like to hack their devices, make them work in ways they werent marketed to.

My xbox at home serves as a streaming media center more than as a game console, and it used to function as server before being retired in favor of a mac mini (both btw running debian linux). Back when I lived a college house my beer fridge had temp sensors purloined from a broken imac. The list goes on

Hacking is fun, mate!

Promise I'm not. My first post was perhaps a little boisterous, a bit of a jab at the hackers knowing they would indeed bite. However, digital rights and contractual agreements deserve some lengthy discussion in this world as it seems more and more we care less about either.
  • Reply 119 of 180
    I didn't give you any information that would give you reason to believe I am a thief. The gentleman you are defending did.

Quote:

I could as easily call you a thief. But that would be ignorant.

• Reply 120 of 180
    Quote:

.... However, digital rights and contractual agreements deserve some lengthy discussion in this world as it seems more and more we care less about either.

Interesting how much ATT seems to care about their terms and conditions - they can change them at any time by simply saying that they can:

Changes to the terms and conditions: These terms and conditions may be changed from time to time. AT&T will post the most current version of these terms and conditions at att.com/mediaterms or other appropriate location. Please check these regularly to inform yourself about changes to the terms and conditions. (from: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp)