Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdy View Post

I've had several iPhones since Apple released them and not one of them has every had the glass scratch. I have abused them traveling several hundred thousand miles a year, taking taxis all over the place, dropping them from upstairs to downstairs at home (oops), etc, and have yet to ever have the glass scratch or crack.

So if this stuff has already scratched under moderate abuse, it is informative.

Trolls can go home now.

[Edit] I have also never used any protection on them and I keep them in my pocket with keys, etc. The plastic back has scratched (duh) but the glass has always been pristine.

What a world are you in when "moderate abuse" of a phone includes "On that note, we've actually seen the iPhone 4 tossed with and without a bumper across a room (one hit a wall) with no issue, and we dropped ours pretty hard from about two feet up onto tile with nary a scratch."?
  • Reply 42 of 109
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Only Apple could charge $29 for a band of rubber.

That would be a band of rubber with metal button extenders.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johny25 View Post

Hello All

I am new in this forum.

I am very much glad that I joined this forum as I am a real gadget freak.

Very much excited to share my thoughts on new gadgets

Welcome Johny!
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

You wouldn't mind making a video by chance?

I second that!!!
  • Reply 45 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Everything scratches. Unless we know exactly WHAT caused a particular scratch, it tells us nothing. Repeated, controlled tests, not vague anecdotes, are what have significance. Only time can tell.

We can safely assume though, that there still is no magical 100% scratch-proof phone in the world.

And I?d still rather have a scratched device than a bulkier one! No case for me except in certain rare situations.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yep he would be famous....... or infamous as the first person to BREAK their new iPhone 4 and look he even filmed it! LOL LOL

I smell Oscar nomination. Do it! Do it! Do it!
  • Reply 47 of 109
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I don't know of ANY material outside of diamonds that won't acquire at at least these kinds of micro-scratches after continuous use and contact with everyday surfaces like a table top. Have a look at your stainless steel knives etc, they'll have micro-scratches. Don't sweat it. They aren't even visible unless you catch the light just right and look closely. If it bothers you, put it is a case.

Hopefully, this will be my first iPhone that I don't feel I need to put in a case.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    looks to me like when you scratch a new unwrapped DVD......IMO
  • Reply 49 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I don't know of ANY material outside of diamonds that won't acquire at at least these kinds of micro-scratches after continuous use and contact with everyday surfaces like a table top. Have a look at your stainless steel knives etc, they'll have micro-scratches. Don't sweat it. They aren't even visible unless you catch the light just right and look closely. If it bothers you, put it is a case.

Hopefully, this will be my first iPhone that I don't feel I need to put in a case.

Wurtzite Boron Nitride (w-BN)?
  • Reply 50 of 109
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Everything scratches. Unless we know exactly WHAT caused a particular scratch, it tells us nothing. Repeated, controlled tests, not vague anecdotes, are what have significance. Only time can tell.

We can safely assume though, that there still is no magical 100% scratch-proof phone in the world.

And I?d still rather have a scratched device than a bulkier one! No case for me except in certain rare situations.

I agree. I still have the originial 2g iPhone and the bezel got scratched to hell just by using a case and having pocket dust collect inside the case.

Endgadget doesn't elaborate on how the scratches got there. Maybe the reviewer was refurbishing some furniture and had some 100 grit sandpaper in his pocket along with the iPhone. Maybe he was at the beach and got sand in his shorts. Who knows? It's fishy right now.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    For those of you who DO keep their devices wrapped in a case to prevent scratches: Do you periodically take it out and stare at it and admire its scratchless purity?

I'm just trying to understand. I never got the plastic sofa slipcovers either, if that helps explain where I'm coming from...
  • Reply 52 of 109
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

For those of you who DO keep their devices wrapped in a case to prevent scratches: Do you periodically take it out and stare at it and admire its scratchless purity?

I'm just trying to understand. I never got the plastic sofa slipcovers either, if that helps explain where I'm coming from...

Now that's an excellent point.

I similarly don't understand people who put those huge leather covers on the front of their cars. A car with some scratches looks better than that crap!
  • Reply 53 of 109
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'm with ya man. I had a plastic hard case over my iPhone for well over 9 months. I finally took it off only to find that dirt had lodged its way in between the case and the metal rim around my 3GS. The dirt combined with the fit of the case combined with movement from 9 months of use caused the little tiny granules to scratch the metal. Now I have tons of tiny little scratch marks all around the edge.

This also happend on the back of the iPhone, but to a lesser degree.

I finally said "F**k it" and took the case off. It sure does feel nice to have a device that not only is now lighter, but looks better to boot. And since taking the case off three months ago, I've only picked up a few tiny scratches on the back -- nothing offensive, just normal wear and tear.

It IS a phone after all...
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Quote:

I did read that when iFixIt first suggested it might be Gorilla Glass, but my main interest here was why they were getting scratching so soon on an iPhone 4 when that seems such a rare occurrence for previous iPhone models, let alone the new glass which is supposed to be stronger?made me wonder what might have happened.

And as a side note, those illustrations make it seem as if the Gorilla glass prevents damage within the glass, but does little to alter the way in which surface damage is received. I didn't put much weight in the illustrations, though, without technical explanation to correspond.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    What I would like to know is if the stainless steel band is the same scratch-happy stainless steel Apple uses on its iPod models or if this is a much more scratch-resistant one.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the bumper is to protect the edge of the glass from impact since unlike previous models the glass sits on top of the metal frame instead of inside of it. With the edge of the glass exposed like this there may be an increased risk of cracking if it sustains an impact directly on the corner or the edge.

Might also be to keep folks from touching the antenna. Touching the antenna while holding the phone might decrease reception.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

What I would like to know is if the stainless steel band is the same scratch-happy stainless steel Apple uses on its iPod models or if this is a much more scratch-resistant one.

I didn't think Apple used stainless steel on their iPods. I thought it was aluminium. Hardended steel has about a 7.5?8 rating on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    not sure why everyone is getting up in arms about engadget reporting scratches. the whole point is that *despite* the abuse, it barely scratched. they're pretty much affirming apple's position.

the more ridiculous aspect is that at the bottom of the article, they reference the article where ifixyouri claims it cracked from a couple foot's drop. it's been clearly debunked and yet they're still referencing it.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Anyone have experience with ZAGG's invisible Shield? I've used Power Support crystal film and was satisfied. I don't see them having something to protect the back. I don't want to use a case because i like the look of bare.

-Chris
  • Reply 60 of 109
    I will definately get me a bumper, but with $30 plus shipping & taxes, Im afraid I will break it or scratch it. Where can I get a protector for the bumper?