Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars

Comments

• Reply 41 of 192
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Everyone seems to have latched onto the reception problem, but what about the yellow screens? How do you explain that.
  • Reply 42 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Mine does not lose signal and the screen is awesome...

You are mistaken. See above posts.
  • Reply 43 of 192
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Looks like this issue is becoming pretty prevalent on Apple Support:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

The poster said he rebooted his phone and the dots went away. Interesting!
  • Reply 44 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Everyone seems to have latched onto the reception problem, but what about the yellow screens? How do you explain that.

Two posters on the Apple forums said the issue subsided with a simple reboot of the phone.
  • Reply 45 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

All these videos show the devices in Wifi is there any reports about when the phone is in 3G???

I'm connected via wifi and posting this via my iPhone 4. I've tried to replicate this issue by forming a circuit with my finger just like in the YouTube video. The bars do not drop on my phone, regardless if I do it with just my finger like in the video or if I wrap my whole hand around the steel band of the phone.

Also, no yellow screen here. Very happy so far.
  • Reply 46 of 192
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw

I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.

Seriously why do you need to shout? You behave like a child "Oh! look, ma....".
  • Reply 47 of 192
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Okay, so basically, if you hold a bare iPhone 4 (every last one of them) in your bare hand you won't be able to download anything. And again, all the engineers, employees, Steve Jobs, et al, failed to notice this epic fail during testing? Ever hear of Ocam's Razor?

Ok, just because there was not an issue during testing doesn't mean that there isn't possibly:

a) a software error in the mass produced units

OR

b) a hardware error in the mass produced units

No one knows how widespread or prevalent it is, but it DOES exist. And I'm basing this off of user provided information.

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...yline=true&s=i
  • Reply 48 of 192
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm sorry, but people like you that think about Apple first instead of the customer first need to be taken out back and dealt with.

I really don't give a crap about if your stock prices go up or down, I care about Apple putting out quality products. This doesn't bode well for Apple, especially the screen issue. How many times is Apple going to release a new product with yellowish screen problems? iPod touch, iPhone 3G, iMac, iPhone 4?

When it comes to mass-production, are you expecting a 100% perfect product batch in order to consider Apple having "quality" products? So far, nothing has given me an indication that it is not more widespread than a few enthusiasts that have posted them online.

You're unrealistic and borderline trolling. I'll bet that you'll still scream if it turns out to be a few hundred out of 600,000 units that are defective. Why hold Apple to such a high degree of perfection?

I recommend you add an extra layer of tin foil to that hat of yours... signal's still getting through.. \
  • Reply 49 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

Have you even watched the videos?

What's life like in your world?

Life in my world is fine. It's your world that has problems. You fail to explain how the engineers, Steve Jobs, Apple employees, and every swinging appendage who was using the iPhone 4 during development and testing, didn't notice this. It's like the proverbial conspiracy theory. The only reasonable explanation is that they knew about it, chose not to fix it, and then released the device hoping no one would notice. That's what you MUST believe if this is as pervasive as the "videos" suggest.

I'm waiting for your explanation of how this got into production. Take your time to formulate your theory. back at you.
  • Reply 50 of 192
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!! Apple products just work. All negative posts are Microsoft or Google Fanboys!!!
  • Reply 51 of 192
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shurenuff View Post

I'm connected via wifi and posting this via my iPhone 4. I've tried to replicate this issue by forming a circuit with my finger just like in the YouTube video. The bars do not drop on my phone, regardless if I do it with just my finger like in the video or if I wrap my whole hand around the steel band of the phone.

Also, no yellow screen here. Very happy so far.

So basically the guy should get a replacement? And people screamed their heads off in this thread...
  • Reply 52 of 192
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Everything working just fine on my phone. Screen and call quality are great.

I hope that the people experiencing the issues get everything worked out.
  • Reply 53 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Life in my world is fine. It's your world that has problems. You fail to explain how the engineers, Steve Jobs, Apple employees, and every swinging appendage who was using the iPhone 4 during development and testing, didn't notice this. It's like the proverbial conspiracy theory. The only reasonable explanation is that they knew about it, chose not to fix it, and then released the device hoping no one would notice. That's what you MUST believe if this is as pervasive as the "videos" suggest.

I'm waiting for your explanation of how this got into production. Take your time to formulate your theory. back at you.

Yes, it's far more likely that dozens of customers are taking the time to fake videos than it is that there's some sort of issue on the production line or with the latest OS build.

• Reply 54 of 192
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    It's all AT&T fault

• Reply 55 of 192
    kennebgkennebg Posts: 2member
    Right out of the box today I have the yellowish blotches in both lower corners of the screen. I called Apple and they were more than willing to setup a return but I have to send it in and wait for a replacement. Apple suggested to go back to AT&T first and see if they could swap it more quickly and if not to call back and they would send a pre-paid box so I can ship it to them and in a week or so I would either get mine back repaired or a new one.

Calling AT&T in the A.M.
  • Reply 56 of 192
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Not only that, but if you can still make a call, it's irrelevant. According to early reviews, this doesn't affect your ability to make calls.

Actually, it does affect calls. The other end can't hear what you're saying when you have 1 bar.

Read the reports.
  • Reply 57 of 192
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    If it's any comfort, I'm 4 for 4 today for iPhones not doing this. I'm just not cool enough to know how to use YouTube.

-Chris
  • Reply 58 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Actually, it does affect calls. The other end can't hear what you're saying when you have 1 bar.

Read the reports.

I just read three reports... all said it didn't affect calls.
  • Reply 59 of 192
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

It's all AT&T fault

I LOL'd.
  • Reply 60 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

]URL="

I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.

This is a big deal, and it's pissing me off. i wanted an iPhone 4 like crazy and i can't buy now. I'm not buying until apple solves this. This shit is real.

1) You're now crossing into irrational troll territory. If I didn't know you here for so long and like your mockups I probably wouldn't have questioned your "sky is falling" comments here.

2) Enough with the #5 font and all caps. Calm down and express your concerned in a mature manner and you're more likely to be taken seriously and get some real answers.

3) You have seen a phone showing a drop in cellular connectivity. There are many things to consider here:
    • Does this one device represent all the devices? Of course not, but more on that later.

• Even if Apple, for example, has lowered their failure rate by half, if they sell more than double the devices there will be more total issues. You need to consider this in relation to the internet before you comment because this will get more prolific each year.

• Does the issue have to do with AT&T —aren't you on O2 in Ireland? — or his specific location?

• Does this "customer" have a reason to lie? I could very easily make a video that shows carrier signal increasing everytime he touches the device. You can mimic this if you position something to block the signal off-camera at the appropriate time.

4) I have a friend whose phone is DOA. Meaning, it won't even turn on. If he did a video showing that it won't turn on would you then post to that with massive links and an all caps condemnation jumping to conclusions that all iPhone 4's are DOA? Of course not, so why do this here, you're above this?

5) My iPhone 4 is flawless. The carrier signal does fluctuate as it always does with a carrier in certain places. I am getting 2Mbps down but only 0.5Mbps up on 3G. On 802.11n I get 16Mbps down and 0.6Mbps up. Both were single tests on one network.

6) My display is perfect according to my white test. Most impressively is the comparison next to my 3GS. The resolution is great, but the backlight is much brighter, the whites are much whiter, and blacks are much blacker. It's easy to read in sunlight and no matter where I place the display from my eyes I can't discern any pixels. In fact, anything closer than 6 to 8 inches just gets extra blurry as Melgross had proposed a couple weeks ago.