Adobe ships Flash 10.1 to mobile device makers

Comments

• Reply 121 of 148
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

do you think anyone would listen, or care if someone did report it ran well? It's the man bites dog vs dog bite man thing.

Sure if Flash ran consistently fine with little impact to system resources and battery life. It would be fully acknowledged.

Quote:

I've had it run very well, not any choppier than I've seen stuff run on my iphone, and don't see the battery or performance issues a few blogs point to.

Are you saying you were able to play 10 hours of Flash video on a phone, the same as the iPhone is capable?
  • Reply 122 of 148
    Quote:

Why because Steve told you so? Suggesting flash is holding back the internet is just moronic. Sorry. Technologies that remain relevant to developers and end users will continue. If they don't, they will fail without the help of a handful of forum know-it-alls and bloggers.

It would be interesting to see statistics on the number of posts about why Flash must die posted here before Steve began publicly attacking it vs. after. Gosh, think there'd be much of a difference? I mean, it's not like AI is filled with a bunch of fanboy parrots. I'm sure all of them can point to at least as many posts they've made here before 2010 about why Flash must die as they've posted this year.

Summary of why Flash isn't necessarily the devil:

http://features.techworld.com/applic...flash/?olo=rss

Exercise for the reader to compare Flash with HTML5:

1. Find any good Flash game, and make a version of it in HTML5.

2. Deploy for the same percentage of web users.

3. Report your costs for development.

4. Find out the cost to develop the Flash version.

5. Compare and contrast the ROI for each version.
  • Reply 123 of 148
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

It would be interesting to see statistics on the number of posts about why Flash must die posted here before Steve began publicly attacking it vs. after. Gosh, think there'd be much of a difference? ...

I invite you to comb the archives for such information. While the number of threads and posts since Adobe attacked Apple, and Apple published it's stance, on Flash and this became a hot topic have surely increased, becaue it is currently a hot topic, I can assure you that in the threads and posts prior to this, the same opinions on why Flash needs to die so the web can progress beyond it's proprietary prison, on how much it sucks on the Mac, etc, were expressed. Trust me, people have wanted Flash to go away since long before the iPhone came along, and largely for the same reasons they want it to go away today.
  • Reply 124 of 148
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Too late, Adobe! Flash on mobile devices is unneeded and unwanted. Most sites have switched to HTML5. Games are freely available in app stores.

Remind me why Flash is necessary? Anyone?

ALL the TV sites I would like to watch on my mobile devices are flash based. So it does matter. For me it will make the difference on my next purchase and my recommendations to friends.

Verizon is coming in July with an android phone that is better than the iphone 4 and its on a better network than AT&T. That will hurt iphone sales for sure. Flash support on the iphone/ipad could ease off the impact. The lack of HDMI out and lesser photo/movie recording specs makes the iphone4 already obsolite.
  • Reply 125 of 148
    nick.bnick.b Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Most people here are content to believe it does not work. It cannot possibly be any good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

You are an idiot. We all have used flash and we all know what flash content is out there and i can tell you that the grapes aren't that great. Don't pretend that we have never seen flash content on the Internet. We have and quite frankly i enjoy my browsing a lot more without it than with it. If your going to use a story to try to get a point across make sure it fits.
  • Reply 126 of 148
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I have never seen a group of people so happy to NOT have something. At least a choice for something.

I don't know how important Flash will be on mobiles but on desktops, it's big. I don't know what everyone else is doing with the Net for business but I've seen numerous industries, consulting services, engineering, education, internal use, media industry, geospatial applications, government, etc. etc. that absolutely rely on Flash to deploy applications over the Net. Flash is not going away any time soon. It may actually start to be bad for Apple if they don't let Adobe create Flash for iPhone. They should have it as a downloadable options perhaps while it gets tuned up, and not on it by default. That way people who don't want it, don't have it. I don't understand why people hate Flash. How else do people propose deploying interactive maps, video with ads (those are needed to pay for TV) like Hulu, and interactive websites? Although Adobe certainly has to get get serious about Flash player on Macs. It does suck on Macs. Perhaps Steve should let them experiment with it on iPhone and it can be approved by Apple when it is up to Apple's performance standards.

I'm happy that my car does not have the ability to lock my keys inside of it. Sure, it might be nice occaisionally to lock the door and then close it. But i'll trade that in for making it impossible to accidentally lock my keys inside.

As for businesses. The multi-billion dollar / year manufacturer I work for doesn't use flash internally and just switched all company phones to iPhones. In fact, we just got a bunch of iphone4s in today.

Some businesses might need flash, but i'd bet it is mostly consumers that want it. For them, there are phones that they can choose instead. Right?

The rest of us will stick to a platform that is managed in such a way to raise the average usage experience.
  • Reply 127 of 148
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I invite you to comb the archives for such information. While the number of threads and posts since Adobe attacked Apple, and Apple published it's stance, on Flash and this became a hot topic have surely increased, becaue it is currently a hot topic, I can assure you that in the threads and posts prior to this, the same opinions on why Flash needs to die so the web can progress beyond it's proprietary prison, on how much it sucks on the Mac, etc, were expressed. Trust me, people have wanted Flash to go away since long before the iPhone came along, and largely for the same reasons they want it to go away today.

Yep, search for click to flash to see examples.
  • Reply 128 of 148
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sure if Flash ran consistently fine with little impact to system resources and battery life. It would be fully acknowledged.

Are you saying you were able to play 10 hours of Flash video on a phone, the same as the iPhone is capable?

I can't get even half that on my iphone. Never have. Perhaps it's defective I donno. But truthfully I've never thought of it as a bad thing. My new macbook pro was advertised as 8 to 9 hours,I probably get maaaaaybe5 or 6, I'd have to nearly shut the thing down to practically not using it with brightness on 1 to get near 8 hours.

I haven't tested the length of flash video vs html5 video on android. So I can't say I know.
  • Reply 129 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

ALL the TV sites I would like to watch on my mobile devices are flash based. So it does matter. For me it will make the difference on my next purchase and my recommendations to friends.

ABC and CBS both have iPhone apps that show video content. So much for your claim that you can't watch videos on an iPhone.

Quote:

Verizon is coming in July with an android phone that is better than the iphone 4 and its on a better network than AT&T. That will hurt iphone sales for sure. Flash support on the iphone/ipad could ease off the impact. The lack of HDMI out and lesser photo/movie recording specs makes the iphone4 already obsolite.

Oh, yeah. The 'much better than the iPhone' phone that we've been hearing about for 3 years now. Come back when you have something that really IS better.

As for the network, that's openly debatable - and depends on where you are more than anything. For example, there are twice as many people who get NO Verizon service at all as there are who get not AT&T.

Not to mention that if Verizon gets the iPhone, they'll be swamped and any service advantage they might have would go away pretty quickly.

Quote:

I can't get even half that on my iphone. Never have. Perhaps it's defective I donno. But truthfully I've never thought of it as a bad thing. My new macbook pro was advertised as 8 to 9 hours,I probably get maaaaaybe5 or 6, I'd have to nearly shut the thing down to practically not using it with brightness on 1 to get near 8 hours..

Fortunately, there are independent reviewers out there so we don't have to rely on your fabricated results.
  • Reply 130 of 148
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

I have the Droid and enjoy it, but the Droid X surely didn't impress me that much. Nothing about it made me say "wow". I was considering getting it, but nothing about it made me feel any sense of urge to purchase it.

Gonna withhold an actual opinion until I actually try it though, reviewers seem to like it a lot.
  • Reply 131 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ABC and CBS both have iPhone apps that show video content. So much for your claim that you can't watch videos on an iPhone.

Oh, yeah. The 'much better than the iPhone' phone that we've been hearing about for 3 years now. Come back when you have something that really IS better.

As for the network, that's openly debatable - and depends on where you are more than anything. For example, there are twice as many people who get NO Verizon service at all as there are who get not AT&T.

Not to mention that if Verizon gets the iPhone, they'll be swamped and any service advantage they might have would go away pretty quickly.

Fortunately, there are independent reviewers out there so we don't have to rely on your fabricated results.

I really don't give a shit what you read.
  • Reply 132 of 148
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Unless you aren't American. In which case, you don't get access to that content. The alternatives however, often require Flash.
  • Reply 133 of 148
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Streaming video certainly does change things. As the phone has to use its radio chip and decode the video stream. But when watching video stored on the phone you do get more than 5 hours out of it.

The irony is if you are using any Flash content on your MBP you most certainly are not going to get 8 or 9 hours out of it.

Quote:

I can't get even half that on my iphone. Never have. Perhaps it's defective I donno. But truthfully I've never thought of it as a bad thing. My new macbook pro was advertised as 8 to 9 hours,I probably get maaaaaybe5 or 6, I'd have to nearly shut the thing down to practically not using it with brightness on 1 to get near 8 hours.

• Reply 134 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Streaming video certainly does change things. As the phone has to use its radio chip and decode the video stream. But when watching video stored on the phone you do get more than 5 hours out of it.

The irony is if you are using any Flash content on your MBP you most certainly are not going to get 8 or 9 hours out of it.

or anything else really for that matter, not just flash.

But truthfully, after the powerbooks I had where I'd start with maaaaybe close to 3 hours time, it'd be 2ish hours before long. So I'm fine with 4 or 5 hours really. Just to attain 8 or 9 hours is silly.

Real world vs 'reported testing'.

• Reply 135 of 148
    Man, classic PR spin: "Full web".

Flash is not the web. It is in fact the opposite. Proprietary, isolated executables that are very separate from real web content.

And still pages with flash cause my desktop web browser to suck 30% of the CPU continuously.
  • Reply 136 of 148
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If anyone doubted that Google has no commitment to quality nor real interest in promoting open standards, this should be the final nail in that coffin.

*facepalms* Because nothing says "closed" like a dedicated site geared towards open web standards. Really, Google is sooo closed that their practically giving you Android's source code for free. Oh yeah, Apple sued HTC again.
  • Reply 137 of 148
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

*facepalms* Because nothing says "closed" like a dedicated site geared towards open web standards. Really, Google is sooo closed that their practically giving you Android's source code for free. Oh yeah, Apple sued HTC again.

It's called shaping their image.
  • Reply 138 of 148
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So what other technology can I use to make interactive web-based maps very easily (easy to make, also easy to deploy and use as an end-user)?

Flash works great on PCs. I suspect, thanks largely to Steve calling Adobe on it and them going in to panic mode as someone suggested, that Flash will be good on Droids either with the current gen. or the next gen. that has better hardware along with more optimized Flash code. In my admittedly entry-level few years of experience in business it seems Flash is going nowhere. It seems like a great technology, but just with a really crappy Mac port. Like so much other stuff! I feel like Steve could have handled this better. I still can't believe the bitterness and almost meanness Steve personally inserted into that "open letter" on their web site a few weeks ago. I feel Apple should be treating Adobe like an ally against M$/Google not an opponent. Apple needs to build more partnernships not less. Partnerships are why iPod/iPhone/iPad have worked so well! Be a team player Steve.
  • Reply 139 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

So what other technology can I use to make interactive web-based maps very easily (easy to make, also easy to deploy and use as an end-user)?

html. Granted, you'll actually have to learn to use it and it does change over time (we're in the middle of a transition from html 4 to html 5), but it does everything you want.

Lots of people are able to do sites without using Flash, so Flash is clearly not critical.

You could have a look at the Toy Story iAd demo to get an idea of what html is capable of.

Quote:

Flash works great on PCs. I suspect, thanks largely to Steve calling Adobe on it and them going in to panic mode as someone suggested, that Flash will be good on Droids either with the current gen. or the next gen. that has better hardware along with more optimized Flash code.

That's exactly the problem with Adobe's attitude. "Our app sucks, but we'll wait a while and eventually it won't suck as much" is a lousy philosophy for development. In the history of computing, things almost always get MORE CPU-intensive over time rather than less.

Quote:

In my admittedly entry-level few years of experience in business it seems Flash is going nowhere. It seems like a great technology, but just with a really crappy Mac port. Like so much other stuff! I feel like Steve could have handled this better. I still can't believe the bitterness and almost meanness Steve personally inserted into that "open letter" on their web site a few weeks ago. I feel Apple should be treating Adobe like an ally against M$/Google not an opponent. Apple needs to build more partnernships not less. Partnerships are why iPod/iPhone/iPad have worked so well! Be a team player Steve.

Apple tried to work with Adobe. They gave Adobe 3 years to create a version of Flash for the iPhone - and STILL didn't make an issue of Adobe's failure unto Adobe went on the attack.

Then, when you look at the CS package, Adobe has clearly been dragging their feet on Mac versions for years (more than a decade). Instead of working with Apple when Apple accounted for 90% of Adobe revenues, Adobe publicly and intentionally announced their intention to move their primary efforts to Windows. They have failed to implement Apple technologies in cases where they really would have made a difference. Adobe is the one who has refused to act like a partner.
  • Reply 140 of 148
    Quote:

Then, when you look at the CS package, Adobe has clearly been dragging their feet on Mac versions for years (more than a decade). Instead of working with Apple when Apple accounted for 90% of Adobe revenues, Adobe publicly and intentionally announced their intention to move their primary efforts to Windows. They have failed to implement Apple technologies in cases where they really would have made a difference. Adobe is the one who has refused to act like a partner.

I'm afraid a good deal of this is just plain bull.

I don't know why people who know absolutely zero about this insist on mouthing off about it.

There is far more to this sordid tale, if you care to go learn about it. Neither side was any angel in the journey. But you'll need to pull your nose out of apple's ass to realize this I'm afraid.

And no, this is no defence of either company. Before you go off like a shrieking jack in the box again.