Apple releases iMovie for iPhone 4 in App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Coinciding with the official debut of the new iPhone 4, Apple released its new mobile iMovie application, exclusively for its new handset, onto the App Store.

The $4.99 application weighs in at 30.6MB and requires a new iPhone 4 running iOS 4. Early reviews have been positive, with most purchasers giving the application five stars.

"Make beautiful HD movies anywhere with iMovie, the fun, feature-rich video editing application for iPhone 4," Apple said. "Create a video postcard of your day at the beach and publish it to the web -- without ever leaving your spot in the sand. Or make a movie if your child's birthday party and send it to your parents -- while the party is in full swing. With iMovie for iPhone, you can start several projects and finish them whenever you want and wherever you want."

Apple introduced iMovie earlier this month, when it debuted the iPhone 4 with its new 720p-capable HD video camera. The software takes advantage of the 5 megapixel lens in the iPhone 4, which is capable of recording high definition video at 30 frames per second.

Though iMovie for iPhone requires the faster A4 processor found in the iPhone, the application will not work on the iPad, which runs the same processor -- though half the RAM.

The company also highlighted the following features in its new application:

Made for Multi-Touch.

Tap to add or record video right into your project.

Drag to trim the lengths of video clips and photos.

Pinch to zoom the timeline and get a closer look.

Slide to scrub through the video in your project.

Give it a theme.

Choose from a selection of themes including Modern, Bright, Travel, Playful and News.

Each theme includes a matching set of titles and transitions -- plus its own soundtrack.

Instantly change themes or swap themed elements in your project.

Titles and graphics automatically update with location data from your video.

Add music and photos.

Select from included music that matches each iMovie theme, or select from your own song library.

Enable ducking to automatically lower the volume of background music and highlight audio from video clips.

Add photos from your own library, or take a picture and drop it into your project.

Customize each photo with a unique "Ken Burns" panning effect.

Share your movie.

Export your movie in one of three sizes: Medium, Large, or HD.

Share your movie on the web in a MobileMe gallery or on YouTube.

Send your movie to friends and family in an email or via an MMS message.

Easily sync your movie back to your computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    I started downloading it last night on my iPhone 4 and it was taking forever so I stopped. Finished up this morning.

Only a 30MB file size but even on my PowerMac G5 it took almost half an hour to finally download it....

Can't wait to play!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Blah. Not interested in a mobile iMovie. Too restrictive. I can't even edit a mobile iMovie in the desktop version. FAIL.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Blah. Not interested in a mobile iMovie. Too restrictive. I can't even edit a mobile iMovie in the desktop version. FAIL.

Ridiculous.

iMovie on your phone, allows you to edit the movies that you record on your phone, on your phone. It's perfect for the task for which is was designed.

As for can't edit on the desktop version, why on earth would you want to do that? If you are going to edit on your desktop anyway, then why even start on the phone? And regardless of the why, you can easily use your recorded movies in desktop iMovie anyway, it's just that it will treat the transitions and effects as part of the video instead of editable elements of the project file. Want to trim down your movies, and cut out bits in order to save space on your phone while you transfer it to the desktop for later editing? Check.

Seriously, it costs half the price of a movie ticket, what do you want, blood?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Quote:

I don't think there is a 'mobile iMovie' in the desktop version. There is only iMovie, and it has quite a decent feature set (for a bundled application).

As for the mobile iMovie (the one for the iPhone 4), you should not get it, since it is 'too restrictive'. The rest of us find it incredibly empowering to be able to shoot, edit, post and deliver a movie, complete with credits, transitions, audio, etc. There is no other mobile device like it.

It is just a matter of time before someone decides to actually make a real movie (i.e. shoot the film, do all post-production work and upload to YouTube) using just the iPhone (and the mobile iMovie).
  • Reply 5 of 20
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:

troll?

imovie desktop is an incredibly powerful and easy program to use. i've used it to create several small very nice home-movie type thingys. not sure what your comment says about your willingness to invest time to learn even the easiest of things.

downloaded the app yesterday and in about 15 minutes i strung together two (720p) video clips and a couple still images and set it all to music. that was just silliness but it seems a nice enough app. doubt it could come close to the feature parity of the desktop version but i'm going to play with it some more today.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Hmm, ghostface147 seems very curmudgeonly about the topic. My guess is that s/he doesn't like iMovie for some reason, and is venting that spleen on an untried product. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way. As to whether his/her unhappiness translates into "fail" for iMovie on the iP4, well my guess is that it won't.

My iP4 arrived yesterday, and as of this morning, iMovie is not showing up in the App Store here on the left coast.

UPDATE: Even though direct search at the App Store on my iP4 did not turn up iMovie, by clicking on the App Store link on the Apple website announcement page, I was taken straight to iMovie. Downloaded it (App Store seems fast today as compared to the last 72 hours), and fired it up. Well done Apple. I don't have much video yet on the phone, but this makes it very easy to manipulate.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

troll?

imovie desktop is an incredibly powerful and easy program to use. i've used it to create several small very nice home-movie type thingys. not sure what your comment says about your willingness to invest time to learn even the easiest of things.

downloaded the app yesterday and in about 15 minutes i strung together two (720p) video clips and a couple still images and set it all to music. that was just silliness but it seems a nice enough app. doubt it could come close to the feature parity of the desktop version but i'm going to play with it some more today.

I think his issue is that iMovie Desktop cannot open and edit the movies you edit on the iPhone as a project file such that you can continue to edit them further on the desktop version. Not that that makes his complaint any more sensible.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    this is going to ramp up the cell phone movie competition. now in HD!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16016538/
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

troll?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Hmm, ghostface147 seems very curmudgeonly about the topic. My guess is that s/he doesn't like iMovie for some reason, and is venting that spleen on an untried product. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way. As to whether his/her unhappiness translates into "fail" for iMovie on the iP4, well my guess is that it won't.

Sorry about that, but that's not how I meant for it to come across. I use iMovie on the desktop frequently and know how to use it. I don't like the restriction that if I make a movie using iMovie on the iPhone, it can't be edited on the regular iMovie version. At least that's the roadblock I've been reading about.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I just don't see this being successful except for people that don't have access to a fast computer. Copy and Paste is frustrating enough let alone trying to navigate that small screen to edit video.

I think all this iMovie is is a gimmick to sell iPhone 4's.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Sorry about that, but that's not how I meant for it to come across. I use iMovie on the desktop frequently and know how to use it. I don't like the restriction that if I make a movie using iMovie on the iPhone, it can't be edited on the regular iMovie version. At least that's the roadblock I've been reading about.

sure, you can accomplish what you want to do. i've already tried it and it works fine.

when you take a vid on the phone it saves it as a .MOV file in your camera roll.

when you make a movie with imovie on the iphone and then "export" it, it renders the version you want (medium, large, or hd (720p)) as a .MOV into your camera roll.

so if you take 10 videos and then use them to make a movie, you'll end up with 11 .MOV file in your camera roll.

you can then grab any of those .MOV files from your phone and import them into imovie on your desktop. not sure what you use to do that, but i've got a pretty good habit down of using image capture to grab things off my phone's camera roll.

and, i didn't just read about doing this ... i did it.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I just don't see this being successful except for people that don't have access to a fast computer. Copy and Paste is frustrating enough let alone trying to navigate that small screen to edit video.

I think all this iMovie is is a gimmick to sell iPhone 4's.

i'm certainly not going to give up my desktop to exclusively use my iphone for editing, but it's a great app and will find its place. it's also obvious, to me anyway, that it still needs a bit of work.

and i doubt very much that a lot of people are going to buy an iphone just to have access to the imovie app. maybe some, but not a lot. maybe the same folks who buy the bmw just to have access to whatever stereo they ship with?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

sure, you can accomplish what you want to do. i've already tried it and it works fine.

when you take a vid on the phone it saves it as a .MOV file in your camera roll.

when you make a movie with imovie on the iphone and then "export" it, it renders the version you want (medium, large, or hd (720p)) as a .MOV into your camera roll.

so if you take 10 videos and then use them to make a movie, you'll end up with 11 .MOV file in your camera roll.

you can then grab any of those .MOV files from your phone and import them into imovie on your desktop. not sure what you use to do that, but i've got a pretty good habit down of using image capture to grab things off my phone's camera roll.

and, i didn't just read about doing this ... i did it.

Cool thanks, but it shouldn't have to be that way. I'll try your method though.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Cool thanks, but it shouldn't have to be that way. I'll try your method though.

hmmm. on second thought. maybe i misunderstood. doing what i described imports the iphone .MOV in its entirety. if you took 10 videos on the phone, edited three of them together, set it to music, exported it to the iphone, then imported that iphone .MOV into dekstop imovie ... you get the *finished* .MOV in your desktop imovie.

when it's imported into desktop imovie it's imported as one object. imovie does not see it as three separate clips and a separate song. and i don't think you can do that.

to do that they would have to add some sort of "export project" feature, i think.

so you can import a finished iphone imovie into your desktop imovie.

but, based on what i know right now, you cannot import an iphone imovie "project" into your desktop imovie.

sorry if i've confused the issue for you.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    anyone else notice that when you try to share this app on facebook it says "iMovie for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store" (direct copy/paste)
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I think that is a temporary limitation-- I suspect the next version of Mac iMovie will recognize the Mobile iMovie format.

The same guy wrote both Mac iMovie and Mobile iMovie, and the original Final Cut.

Further, when iPad gets iOS 4 this fall, I expect an iMovie app for it that exploits the additional screen real state.

Just to show you what can be done with Mac iMovie (with GarageBand doing the audio mixing):

Here is a music video done by a friend, Sheena Melwani -- Wavin' Flag by SheenaMelwani (Official World Cup 2010 Song by K'naan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYJJ08ndrRY

Sheena's husband, Dinesh did the camera work and appears somewhere in the video-- I can't find him.

Sheena does the singing, audio mixing and post processing-- all with iLife '09!

Enjoy!

• Reply 17 of 20
    nizynizy Posts: 24member
    I'd like to know how long it takes to export a 720p video and how big the resulting files are? Anyone care to share that?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Can anyone share if it MMS GREATLY reduces the quality like on the old iPhone?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Played with a little movie on the iPhone 4. Incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IhjHPmiZA

Watch it in HD!

The iPhone 4 is hard to hold steady because it is so light. The mic is subject to wind noise and the screen is hard to see in the bright sunlight. I need a windscreen and a Hoodman.

iMovie needs some enhancements. You can't cut out the middle of a clip, only trim the ends. The titles stay on for the entire clip and you can't fade in or out. But it's a PHONE. Does really well.