Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 445
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    BTW, anyone go back to watch the keynote from earlier this month? Anyone notice if SJ was holding the iPhone 4 the wrong way and that's why he was having all those WiFi issues?
  • Reply 42 of 445
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I once had a Mac with really poor WiFi reception and I thought it was the Alu case and was cursing the design, but it turned out the antenna wasn't plugged in on the motherboard. Since not everyone is reporting this issue it may just be a manufacturing problem and not a fundamental design issue. There is other evidence that manufacturing is being rushed, namely the undried glue on the screen.

But there are so many factors in cell reception that there really needs to be some isolation testing at this point.
  • Reply 43 of 445
    Hopefully not a major issue, but I will not be picking up my reserved iphone today as originally planned. Will wait to see how this plays out.
  • Reply 44 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So purchase a friggin' Bumper and "problem" solved!

Seriously.... how did some of you manage to get this far in life?

I for one am not really interested in having to buy an extra item in order to use the phone. As for the bumpers specifically, if Apple deems it necessary to use these to have predictable service to make calls, then they better start giving them free with every purchase.

Of course, even if they did give them for free, I am not interested in a stupid looking bumper or a case that adds thickness as a fix. That's really just a band-aid. The clear coating on the metal is interesting though. Hopefully there is just some ground wire that didn't get connected during the assembly process for some phones.

We'll see...
  • Reply 45 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Problem hidden, not solved. Seriously, you're going to accept that as a solution? What will you do when you're selling the phone on eBay (if it turns out special firmware can't fix this)?

"Make sure you use it case, the phone loses calls without a case".

If you weren't being sarcastic than I have pity for you.
  • Reply 46 of 445
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Some people don't want a bumper on their phone. And, more importantly, you shouldn't have to buy an accessory to mask a critical design flaw.
  • Reply 47 of 445
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"However, the review unit given to the tech blog before the release of the iPhone 4 did not experience any of these issues, suggesting it does not apply to all handsets."

Let's see what irrational argument you create from that comment. Next time you might want to read the entire article before posting.

I can probably assume that the reveiw handsets are hand picked and QAed before being sent to an Andy Ihnatko, Dave Pouge or Walt Mossberg or for that matter an Engadget or mac world. In mass production, 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 may be pulled for random QA checks, so it may well be a wide spread issue.
  • Reply 48 of 445
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I don't think too many people here would label me an Apple basher, but that's really not a viable long-term solution. But, assuming this is a real issue: If this is a design issue, they have to fix it and replace all of them. If it's a manufacturing issue related to only some phones, they have to replace those. Telling people they have to use a case isn't an acceptable solution for those who have already bought the phone, and telling everyone to use cases would be a much bigger PR disaster than this has the potential to be. Again, assuming the issue is real, I think if they fix the problem, admit it and do the right thing, the PR damage will be minimal, and it could even end up being a net positive.
  • Reply 49 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

BTW, anyone go back to watch the keynote from earlier this month? Anyone notice if SJ was holding the iPhone 4 the wrong way and that's why he was having all those WiFi issues?

I know you're being sarcastic, but I went back and saw he wasn't cradling the iPhone 4, so the issue weren't this.
  • Reply 50 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I didn't mean you. But there a few people here who don't want to admit to this issue. I'm not trying to start flames, that's just what seems to be happening.

Yeah, I know you didn't mean me. I was just putting that out there. If there's an issue, then there's an issue and Apple will have to deal with. Only question is whether I'll be keeping my phone when it arrives.
  • Reply 51 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I once had a Mac with really poor WiFi reception and I thought it was the Alu case and was cursing the design, but it turned out the antenna wasn't plugged in on the motherboard. Since not everyone is reporting this issue it may just be a manufacturing problem and not a fundamental design issue. There is other evidence that manufacturing is being rushed, namely the undried glue on the screen.

Touching it with one finger in the right spot drops calls. The issue will be known by Apple by now.
  • Reply 52 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know you're being sarcastic, but I went back and saw he wasn't cradling the iPhone 4, so the issue weren't this.

Just trying to inject a little humor.
  • Reply 53 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I for one am not really interested in having to buy an extra item in order to use the phone. As for the bumpers specifically, if Apple deems it necessary to use these to have predictable service to make calls, then they better start giving them free with every purchase.

Of course, even if they did give them for free, I am not interested in a stupid looking bumper or a case that adds thickness as a fix. That's really just a band-aid. The clear coating on the metal is interesting though. Hopefully there is just some ground wire that didn't get connected during the assembly process for some phones.

We'll see...

I hope you're right about the "ground wire". Interesting hypothesis.
  • Reply 54 of 445
    yosh01yosh01 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Perhaps they'll start clear-coating the metal bands. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this develops.

I received my iPhone yesterday from AT&T and quickly discovered the problem with dropped signals due to interference from touching the bezel antenna. The only fix seems to be either not holding the phone by the edges when you talk, or insulating the bezel. I wrapped mine with electrical tape and that helped so I stopped by the Apple Store this morning to pickup a bumper. That seems to have helped a lot. Without the bumper, my phone us unusable. There are a lot of postings about this problem on various forums.

I showed the Apple Genius how I could get 4 bars when the phone laid on the table and then degraded to "no service" when I held it. I reproduced it a couple of times for him when he admitted he had been seeing it all morning. He said there has not been an announcement from Apple yet.

Meanwhile, there were a few hundred unsuspecting people in line waiting to pick up their probably defective iPhones.

Not getting your iPhone today may be a blessing.
  • Reply 55 of 445
    I think this may be in the OS - I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4, and now it shows fewer bars (sometimes only 1) in several rooms of my house and at the office, but can still receive/send calls. The bars also randomly decrease and increase without moving locations (or switching hands - ha ha). Anyone else with 3Gs seeing this?
  • Reply 56 of 445
    I just returned from the AT&T store and both demo units lost their signal when I connected the antannea with just my thumb on the left side of each.

I am currently waiting for a call from AT&T to pick up my pre-ordered iPhone 4... This is all very concerning.
  • Reply 57 of 445
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Tried to reproduce this on my wifes new iPhone. Haven't seen any degradation in signal quality or download speed no matter how I hold it. Even tried moistening my hand and repeating. Maybe it is a very weak effect and you need to be on the verge of losing connection anyway for it to be noticable.
  • Reply 58 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Ummmm....I'm right handed so I hold the phone in my right hand as most right handed people do. It's the unfortunate 11% of us who are left handed who are going to have issues.

I disagree. I expect more people right-handers hold a phone with their left hand so as to keep the right hand free for dialing, writing, etc. I know I do.
  • Reply 59 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I can probably assume that the reveiw handsets are hand picked and QAed before being sent to an Andy Ihnatko, Dave Pouge or Walt Mossberg or for that matter an Engadget or mac world. In mass production, 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 may be pulled for random QA checks, so it may well be a wide spread issue.

That's a potent point.
  • Reply 60 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think too many people here would label me an Apple basher, but that's really not a viable long-term solution. But, assuming this is a real issue: If this is a design issue, they have to fix it and replace all of them. If it's a manufacturing issue related to only some phones, they have to replace those. Telling people they have to use a case isn't an acceptable solution for those who have already bought the phone, and telling everyone to use cases would be a much bigger PR disaster than this has the potential to be. Again, assuming the issue is real, I think if they fix the problem, admit it and do the right thing, the PR damage will be minimal, and it could even end up being a net positive.

Totally plausible.